• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Yep. This is one of the things that soured me on the whole replayability, since
this always happens, no matter what you picked.

darth_vader_noooo11sciq3.jpg

Yeah, I also finished this episode today. Like my friend said - an emotional rollercoaster. I can't wait what will happen in the next 2 episodes.

>_<

Falifax

The oh so waited update of...

The Copons' Euro Truck Simulator 2 Adventures

If there are some Czech GAFfers here, well then fuck you!
How in the world you could have thought it was a good idea putting a speed radar on a 80 limited road JUST BEFORE THE 110 LIMIT SIGNAL??
I swear to god, as soon as I get my own truck I'm gonna ram every single signal you have over there.

We're not fond of the traffic rules here either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Little Farm -- MB-18E43AC590E34D9A - Taken by Terra_Ex
Luxor Mahjong -- MB-1A29AE0FB70944A9 - Taken by Alien8
Luxor Mahjong #3 -- MB-BC83774EACD1DF5C - Taken by bronson
Luxor Mahjong #2 -- MB-CD9C7A67125590FA - Taken by Clawww
Luxor Mahjong #5 -- MB-ADFA66760259F1A0 - Taken by MulderWasTaken
Luxor Mahjong #4 -- MB-5F86160B8FFB4F4E - Taken by Mengy

Slyjss

Yep. This is one of the things that soured me on the whole replayability, since
this always happens, no matter what you picked.

This choice has little impact on how the story ends, but I think it still matter because
you grow fond of the person you saved, only to be taken away in a brutal way. It wouldn't have worked so well if they hadn't focused on that particular relation during EP2. In TWD the important thing is not how the choices affect the story but the emotional ties you develop as a result of them.

FloatOn

Chapter 1 in Witcher 2 kind of sucks. I have every confidence that it will pick up later but this swamp is starting to get depressing.

Turfster

This choice has little impact on how the story ends, but I think it still matter because
you grow fond of the person you saved, only to be taken away in a brutal way. It wouldn't have worked so well if they hadn't focused on that particular relation during EP2. In TWD the important thing is not how the choices affect the story but the emotional ties you develop as a result of them.

Yeah, but the fact that
in the end, none of the choices really branch the story
kills the replayability for me.

Is that when guns start showing up?

I dropped that game about 30 minutes after that switch. The melee was satisfyingly janky, the gunplay was unfun and made the game a chore.

Yeah it was around that part, but from what I understand guns remain an option compared to melee weapons for the rest of the game exept for the few human enemies, but than again I haven't got past Act 2. I agree with you though, gunplay was pure garbage. Besides, Sam B+Brass knuckles is so damn fun I'd never use a gun instead of that. Uppercuting a zombie, watch his head blow off as his body flies back 10 meters, feels good man.

Slyjss

Yeah, but the fact that
in the end, none of the choices really branch the story
kills the replayability for me.

That's true.
A friend of mine showed me this chart and, well, you basically see everything on the first playthrough. You change who is going to be the main character of the scene, but not what's going to happen http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/the-walking-dead-graph-by-gamesbeat.jpg

JaseC

Nice!

also, very intense new avatar there

:)

Thanks again JaseC!
Thanks for Luxor, JaseC!

No worries.

That's true.
A friend of mine showed me this chart and, well, you basically see everything on the first playthrough. You change who is going to be the main character of the scene, but not what's going to happen http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/the-walking-dead-graph-by-gamesbeat.jpg

EDIT: How can I hide a URL in a spoiler?

[plain]http://www.blahblahblah.com/[/plain]

Grief.exe

It will, trust me. Just get through it. I really struggled through the start, but the rest of the game is really great.

The Witcher 1 struggled during the start as well, I hope they have learned from their previous games and TW3 will be properly paced.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Walking Dead ep3

what the fuck
my waifu got shot, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.gif

Yeah, I redid that episode yesterday and
the Computer nerd is a red shirt no matter what

Even if you (future episode spoiler!)
get Ben to actually admit he is the one that did it
, it plays out the same. It's annoying as hell. It's just like Mass Effect's "choices" that matter little in the end.

Terra_Ex

Thanks for the game JaseC.

Chapter 1 in Witcher 2 kind of sucks. I have every confidence that it will pick up later but this swamp is starting to get depressing.

The swamp area in witcher 1 was far more painful (and it certainly didn't help that I'd installed (and forgotten about)a combat rebalance mod for the game which made it far more difficult... W2's swamp-like area was like a summer vacation by comparison.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yay I'm an idiot.

Managed to block my Credit Card for real (actually, I cancelled it for security reasons) one week before the big Steam Autumn Sale.

Good thing I can use an alternate payment method on Steam if I really want to buy something (Boleto, in Brazil), which takes like 3 days to fulfill the purchase, but it keeps the value of the sale, so I have a way out...

But I'm an idiot... oh well! Let's hope my new CC arrives before next Friday (which I doubt).

I have been yapping about the game all around this forum but quite similar to Dark Souls, while the game has some issues that most of which Durante fixes, it's still easily my game of the year: Deadly Premonition. I played it for 3,5 hours in a row today, I can't remember last time I did that, maybe with Civ5, but certainly not with any non-mp action game.

Also it was the first time the game didn't crash within 30 minutes, so that's something too! Awesome awesome awesome game, despite all the technical problems.

Tellaerin

Dr Dogg is the main dog, dawg.

Oh, and Archeblade isn't bad, from the hour or so I played of it. I don't think it's as deep or involved as the developers' comments made it out to be (to read their description, you'd be forgiven for expecting "DMC Online" when the reality's closer to Power Stone), but for a F2P, team-based melee combat game, it's pretty entertaining. Didn't like the fact that the game starts you with only enough in-game currency to purchase two characters out of the roster to play as, and the amount you get for playing each match means that it'll take ages to unlock more. Will (probably) update with more detailed impressions once I spend some more time with it.

Deques

Analogue: A Hate Story
It's easy achievements, not to long, and is actually really engrossing.
Obviously it's a VN though so not much actual gameplay aside from one part.

Are the achievements missable, might start on this one.

My actual suggestion is Broken Sword. Gotta love adventure games and it's pretty short.

I should play it someday :)

< 10 hours in FTL? woo am cry :(

XCOM @ 0 hours played?! :O Rectify that nao! >:[

Seriously though, they are my top, top games from those I have played so far on Steam so either [or even better, both] would be my recommendation.

I have played 10 hours in FTL, yet I still have no idea what I was doing.
I should start playing XCOM, but there are so many other great games to play.

Anyway, I ended up continue with Botanicula. I probably will finish it soon. I am in level 5 now. So far I like the atmosphere in it

A little bit than 2 more hours to go...
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 52 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

iBomber Defense Pacific -- MB-7CAF7773DA6439D6 - Taken by bkw. 9 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-BE618136CCB9B361 - Taken by curlycare. 4 entrants total.
Men of War: Assault Squad #2 -- MB-B29F999B4D03A1F7 - Taken by Cosmic Schwung. 6 entrants total.
Dungeons: The Dark Lord -- MB-DFC40D4DE88F3C14 - Taken by neoism. 15 entrants total.
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-A97DD6D9D1326649 - Taken by Mengy. 12 entrants total.
Oil Rush -- MB-DD9BDAD79F8E00E4 - Taken by zeroOman
Patrician IV -- MB-3AFBDA6F43C3C934 - Taken by Htown. 10 entrants total.
Medal of Honor -- MB-9299D9B883EDF955 - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 2 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-2033B8BF2A9C3474 - Taken by inm8num2. 2 entrants total.
Nightsky -- MB-0B054A654E0D5256 - Taken by bluechox2
Serious Sam Double D -- MB-66C14C01195B1E86 - Taken by Lord British. 4 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-6DFDB295CFE9EF16 - Taken by jwtsonga. 6 entrants total.
Awesomenauts Cluck Costume -- MB-B40B3CA9E3B258AA - Taken by Tizoc. 3 entrants total.
Hydrophobia: Prophecy -- MB-BE37008B21E204B1 - Taken by Flandy. 15 entrants total.
Dead Space -- MB-193E31A5C2CBC935 - Taken by Gez. 3 entrants total.
Avencast: Rise of the Mage -- MB-E1F5A3FBC2817463 - Taken by wazoo. 11 entrants total.
Drakensang -- MB-E3BC1D8068929F91 - Taken by Pakkidis. 18 entrants total.
Patrician IV #2 -- MB-71CF238D4F31E949 - Taken by Omi. 9 entrants total.
Proteus -- MB-4AD63C879106267C - Taken by oipic. 13 entrants total.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 : Uprising -- MB-01D418934C0DE5DE - Taken by StrongArmSteady. 3 entrants total.
Hard Reset Extended Edition -- MB-6976A4448F7B8712 - Taken by AScotAbroad. 30 entrants total.
Waking Mars -- MB-E04F141BFC9576BE - Taken by Copons. 9 entrants total.
Beat Hazard Ultra -- MB-477F5F774A16B694 - Taken by JDHarbs. 10 entrants total.
A New Beginning -- MB-14F4D3817FC3BE59 - Taken by HalfwayOrb. 10 entrants total.
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-9CE9A44F9E9FE663 - Taken by OldAsUrSock. 4 entrants total.
Dungeon Defenders Plus All DLC -- MB-93D711887A486E25 - Taken by Dambrosi. 7 entrants total.
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter -- MB-ED1702BE08A23E1A - Taken by Fuu
Project Aftermath -- MB-E1376AF86C3F4101 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 4 entrants total.
Nightsky #2 -- MB-A69A4E4E06A46049
Humble Indie Bundle #3 -- MB-05D38D29D24BDF7B - Taken by MKUltra. 16 entrants total.
Eschalon Book II -- MB-C3169B8724BD76C0 - Taken by LiquidSolid. 6 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-EF2C6246651F590E - Taken by 73V3N. 8 entrants total.
Galactic Arms Race -- MB-48A1C1BB6D36A444 - Taken by Casimir. 5 entrants total.
Depths of Peril -- MB-A9C38C689E3A0B00 - Taken by Dambrosi. 4 entrants total.
Cortex Command -- MB-F0914DFECE64C06E - Taken by Dusk Golem. 8 entrants total.
Swords and Soldiers -- MB-AC3DCE1805393412 - Taken by Camel Master. 2 entrants total.
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes -- MB-A68B5771FCAB0CD0
Swords & Soldiers HD -- MB-A581DD7FB840AC17 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk. 3 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-130658B37B36D61E - Taken by Gamerloid. 4 entrants total.
Star Wolves 3: Civil War -- MB-B7A08F38ECBDF1E7 - Taken by Cth. 4 entrants total.
Blades of Time -- MB-B1247120E06B4A92 - Taken by FauX. 22 entrants total.
Aquaria -- MB-CA10BE4F553D9C76 - Taken by Jawmuncher. 4 entrants total.
Two Worlds 2 -- MB-BFDC4B0C3AEA6FAE - Taken by Blue Ninja. 19 entrants total.
Dear Esther -- MB-201A0F2ABC502367 - Taken by Andrefpvs. 4 entrants total.
Blood Bowl -- MB-2B9C380C4CC7666C - Taken by mannerbot. 4 entrants total.
Men of War: Assault Squad -- MB-7AE55B0CED75D5EB - Taken by Faabulous. 4 entrants total.
The Whispered World -- MB-1E84EC3AF3C999C3 - Taken by denx. 7 entrants total.
Serious Sam 2 -- MB-EEAD54584CB7533A - Taken by Deadbeat. 5 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-AC6E3B8181B60919 - Taken by PetriP-TNT. 6 entrants total.
Cave Story Plus -- MB-053DC3B7212B190D - Taken by AsylumX. 20 entrants total.
The 39 Steps -- MB-747FC9DA30FADD15 - Taken by bronson. 8 entrants total.
Awesomenauts -- MB-C28FB1151BA7938B - Taken by Vazduh. 12 entrants total.

t1385332977z1.png

hitoshi

I only have 1 game this time

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Electronic Super Joy -- MB-EF8220BB6603FAA1 - Taken by Mairu

JaseC

Anyway, I ended up continue with Botanicula. I probably will finish it soon. I am in level 5 now. So far I like the atmosphere in it

I absolutely adore Amanita's stuff. I hope Samorost 3 (2015 :() is followed with Machinarium 2 (the original may be on the short side, but the world is amazing).

Santini

Thanks, Dr Dogg for Crysis 2!

And now for a giveaway of my own. Hope someone out there finds a use for these.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Super Meat Boy, Lone Survivor, Braid -- MB-33F4EBB4896F0CDC - Taken by SonicXtreme
Bastion -- MB-9D4FC8E37BA72390 - Taken by Spawn
LIMBO -- MB-035C0DFBAEF13DC6 - Taken by OldAsUrSock
Golden Jubilee Bundle (Indie Royale) -- MB-9EF4D14E3C4F9FB6 - Taken by Anteater[/QUOTE]

I have been yapping about the game all around this forum but quite similar to Dark Souls, while the game has some issues that most of which Durante fixes, it's still easily my game of the year: Deadly Premonition. I played it for 3,5 hours in a row today, I can't remember last time I did that, maybe with Civ5, but certainly not with any non-mp action game.

Also it was the first time the game didn't crash within 30 minutes, so that's something too! Awesome awesome awesome game, despite all the technical problems.

yep, one of the best games i played this year, i can't wait to see what the sequel will be

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sid Meiers Civilization IV The Complete Edition -- MB-3C4293844B14B7AA - Taken by animlboogy. 21 entrants total.

t1385336401z1.png

Personally I like CIV 4 more than 5 but that's just me. I'm sure others preferred some of the older entries to 4 but I started with 4. Anyway good luck

I have played 10 hours in FTL, yet I still have no idea what I was doing.
I should start playing XCOM, but there are so many other great games to play.

Well you came to a decision on what to play so job done :).

I faced the same dilemma myself earlier. Steam says I've played FTL for about 80 hours in the last 2 weeks so I think the desire to play something else is forgiveable :p. I tried Shelter but that got on my nerves quite a bit. I got to a new area
the first section at night
and quit out. Started Fortix and once I got into the game really enjoyed it. The tutorial irritated me; I guess I've been spoilt by so many Nintendo games over the years where one is taught the game by playing it. Going back to it soon, just having a break.

JaseC

I once tried Civ 5 and suddenly 12 hours gone. Be careful.

throwawaytime
(Today, 04:47 AM)

Well you came to a decision on what to play so job done :).

I faced the same dilemma myself earlier. Steam says I've played FTL for about 80 hours in the last 2 weeks so I think the desire to play something else is forgiveable :p. I tried Shelter but that got on my nerves quite a bit. I got to a new area
the first section at night
and quit out. Started Fortix and once I got into the game really enjoyed it. The tutorial irritated me; I guess I've been spoilt by so many Nintendo games over the years where one is taught the game by playing it. Going back to it soon, just having a break.

If tutorials bother you, then you'd love AssCreed 3. :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I need to try Civilization series. Looks fun.

LOL. How much free time do you have? Not because it takes a lot of time to learn how to play, but because the game has this feature called "Infinite Time Sucking Away Mode", and this feature works very well.

Just one more turn...

Karu

Half Life 2
Finally played - and finished Half Life 2 (without episodes, waiting for the next sale of course ;)) .

It is a great game. Today it has a handful of flaws, but mostly I can overlook them quite easily. The gravity/physics-game can be in the way of fluid play and feel a bit clunky at times and in later parts of the game, the KI is kinda in my way, which leds to a similar problem.

Still, the game offers a great variety of gameplay with fun level design that balances the linearity&freedom perfectly in my mind for such a shooter. Puzzles were fun, felt just... natural. This is almost my biggest plus for Half Life 2 - the whole game felt natural in its environment.

And lol@the last mission. For one - so now I know where Mass Effect 3 got its final mission from, oh my... And second - dat final gravity-Gun. HOLY SHIT! Speaking about "fun" =)

Turfster

It depends on the tutorial but tacked on tutorials are likely to irritate me. I was in a grumpy mood anyway after stuffing up an FTL run which was looking promising so that didn't help.

AssCreed 3 has an 800 hour tutorial that you spend in zones the sizes of shoe boxes with a character that isn't even the main character.

JaseC

It depends on the tutorial but tacked on tutorials are likely to irritate me. I was in a grumpy mood anyway after stuffing up an FTL run which was looking promising so that didn't help.

The jokes that AssCreed 3's first several hours are just one big tutorial aren't far from the truth. Black Flag is better in this regard as while it still drip-feeds information, you're given leisure to explore and do your own thing almost from the off, so there isn't a sense that you're being artificially forced to abide by a guiding, overbearing hand. I'm ~20 hours into the game but have only just passed the mission that teaches you how to use the spy glass and plunder ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom