• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pudge

OH SHIET. Whelp, I had a strong feeling in my brain that I was spreading misinformation but I did it anyways D:

My point still stands though.

Yeah I agree. EA is too invested in getting people to use Origin to release their games elsewhere. It'd be nice for them to put out BF3 on Steam once 4 gains a foothold and stops being broken, but other than The Sims they don't put out ANYTHING on Steam anymore, so it's probably a lost cause.

JakeD

hey guys whats the file you should backup to ensure offline mode will work properly?

google says "winui.gcf" but im not seeing it anywhere...im assuming an update moved it or changed the name?

MNC

Random question:

The reason EA games were yanked from Steam, supposedly, was that EA didn't like Steam's updating policies and thus titles like Crysis 2 got pulled. When Crysis 2 had all DLC put out in the maximum edition, it was restored and put back on Steam.

I'm wondering, knowing this, if there's any chance of Mass Effect 3 ever coming to Steam?

A Game of the Year edition for a Game of the Year

Random question:

The reason EA games were yanked from Steam, supposedly, was that EA didn't like Steam's updating policies and thus titles like Crysis 2 got pulled. When Crysis 2 had all DLC put out in the maximum edition, it was restored and put back on Steam.

I'm wondering, knowing this, if there's any chance of Mass Effect 3 ever coming to Steam?

I dont think we will see another 1st party EA game on Steam until Origin is dead. Which will happen eventually. Just remember that everytime you buy a game that requires Origin, Uplay, Rockstar social club, etc, that you are only renting those games.

A couple from Bundlestars

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Spacechem -- MB-E16105FF16382386 - Taken by KenOD
Planets Under Attack -- MB-8AF8B1F4880032F8 - Taken by jediyoshi

Grief.exe

The Crysis games were also EA Partners releases, while Mass Effect, Battlefield, and SimCity are wholly owned by the publisher.

That is why I am still holding out hope that Respawn self-publishes Titanfall on Steam similarly to the way it was done with Kingdoms of Amalur.

Pudge

I dont think we will see another 1st party EA game on Steam until Origin is dead. Which will happen eventually. Just remember that everytime you buy a game that requires Origin, Uplay, Rockstar social club, etc, that you are only renting those games.

I mean, technically, it's the same with Steam. Steam is just a more stable platform that won't be erased from the face of the Earth by the whims of a new CEO looking for a "new direction" or something.

That is why I am still holding out hope that Respawn self-publishes Titanfall on Steam similarly to the way it was done with Kingdoms of Amalur

Ugh. Now I have that hope as well! And I'm still waiting for Halo Trilogy! I will never be satisfied.

FloatOn

I don't know why I didn't buy the Chivalry Deadliest Warrior on launch. I fixed that mistake tonight.

Anyway, I'm further along in Witcher 2 now and I'm having a much better time although...

The Kayran boss fight. Why are there QTE in this game? I thought CD Projekt RED was above this.

jediyoshi

Depending on how it registers to the other service's account, you could just as easily see it as an extra contingency for your DD collection in the case that Steam is the one that goes kaput. If it's only on Steam, then there's completely nothing to fall back to unless you initially bought it elsewhere with a spare DRM free copy.

cicero

Yeah I said fuck it and used a guide for most of that game. Stunning visuals though and the story was worth experiencing.
The story and atmosphere were fantastic. I didn't even mind the puzzles back in 1995, I had a much different reaction recently though. I can't tell if my tastes and expectations have been refined or if I have unconsciously shifted into more of an inferior impatient hand holding mode.

I don't know why I didn't buy the Chivalry Deadliest Warrior on launch. I fixed that mistake tonight.

Anyway, I'm further along in Witcher 2 now and I'm having a much better time although...

The Kayran boss fight. Why are there QTE in this game? I thought CD Projekt RED was above this.
Yeah, that is a little bit annoying, thankfully the QTEs are not too fast. Keep playing, the game gets better.

Also they're 24 hours after launching a game return policy is pretty generous.

And how can we forget their customer service? "You will surely get the karkland." Never forget.
Is there a return button? Or I'll have to talk to customer service, also the quality of customer service varies.

Mairu

Yeah, that is a little bit annoying, thankfully the QTEs are not too fast. Keep playing, the game gets better.

Is there a return button? Or I'll have to talk to customer service, also the quality of customer service varies.

I don't care for Origin either but customer service has never been Steam's strong suit.

My debit card just borked.
Good news: can't spend money on the Black Friday Sale.
Bad news: can't spend money on the Black Friday Sale.

Wait, seriously? Above this?
It's their game, they can do whatever they want.

Dolor

Gearbox Software on developing Homeworld

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1114

1c81479cf7680f8de59ad9157b80e7e6fac22791.jpg

Thanks for this info. Very interested in how this is going.

Random question:

Any reason that is claimed for why EA games were pulled that doesn't include the words "30% cut" is either disingenuous or misinformed. EA wanted all the revenue, period. Even now, there's roughly 1 million ways they could put games on Steam, get almost all of that revenue anyway and still don't. Delay the Steam release. Only release the "ultimate edition" or whatever on Steam. Charge higher prices on Steam than Origin etc.

I think that the creation of Origin (or at least Origin exclusivity) was a big business mistake for EA because Steam is where all the dynamism is (not to mention the customers) in PC gaming right now. A lot of people with expensive suits and expensive cars at EA made the decision to create Origin and make it exclusive, so it will take a long time (maybe never) for them to realize that they are becoming less relevant by not being on Steam, but they are.

Honey Bunny

Thanks guys. That is surprising considering I can't even change the language of the Origin store to that of somewhere other than the country of residence.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I can't wait till they start supporting hardware. They must do it themselves for maximum laughs.

Can you imagine? -Hey, I'm having some trouble with the HDMI port and I wo.... -We'll get back at you in a week, thanks for contacting Steam "Support".

I can't wait till they start supporting hardware. They must do it themselves for maximum laughs.

"My steambox will not turn on"

3 weeks later...

"Ok we'll fix it for you but only this one time and it isn't the normal thing we do"

Can you imagine? -Hey, I'm having some trouble with the HDMI port and I wo.... -We'll get back at you in a week, thanks for contacting Steam "Support".
They seriously need to hire and train more people.

Grief.exe

Wonder what Early Access games are good. They're too expensive as "beta" games.

Plenty are great, its a way for the developers to get their proof of concept out there and help fund development while they finish the game.

Battlefield 4 is the most 'beta' game I have ever played and worst launch I have ever seen. And that is a full priced release with no 'early access' caveat.

Tellaerin

Thanks for this info. Very interested in how this is going.

Any reason that is claimed for why EA games were pulled that doesn't include the words "30% cut" is either disingenuous or misinformed. EA wanted all the revenue, period. Even now, there's roughly 1 million ways they could put games on Steam, get almost all of that revenue anyway and still don't. Delay the Steam release. Only release the "ultimate edition" or whatever on Steam. Charge higher prices on Steam than Origin etc.

I think that the creation of Origin (or at least Origin exclusivity) was a big business mistake for EA because Steam is where all the dynamism is (not to mention the customers) in PC gaming right now. A lot of people with expensive suits and expensive cars at EA made the decision to create Origin and make it exclusive, so it will take a long time (maybe never) for them to realize that they are becoming less relevant by not being on Steam, but they are.

I have to admit that I'm curious how much more they're really making per unit sold on Origin once you factor in the cost of establishing and maintaining their own digital infrastructure. Are they really earning more this way? Or was the big Origin push born from concerns about being at the mercy of another party for distribution of their games, regardless of the costs involved? I'd love to see a behind-the-scenes look at the reasoning behind it all, though I doubt we'll ever get one.

Wonder what Early Access games are good. They're too expensive as "beta" games.

Don't starve was amazing... Which also turned me right off the concept. If the game is good, I want to wait until it is as "done" as possible.

For example I've been sitting on prison architect for a long time and it just keeps getting cheaper.

this is probably a very boring thing to say, but I'm interested in the divide between early access and complete. Like does the game developer want to get the game out and just release weekly patches such as Dont Starve does? Or can it wait in perpetual Early Access like KSP and PA and not really suffer for it?

Dolor

I have to admit that I'm curious how much more they're really making per unit sold on Origin once you factor in the cost of establishing and maintaining their own digital infrastructure. Are they really earning more this way? Or was the big Origin push born from concerns about being at the mercy of another party for distribution of their games, regardless of the costs involved? I'd love to see a behind-the-scenes look at the reasoning behind it all, though I doubt we'll ever get one.

Yeah, I doubt it had much to do with concerns over another's control of their product. They have no concerns with releasing on consoles after all.

They wanted 100% of the revenue which may have made sense based on their projections when they built it 3+ years ago, but then the following things happened:

• Simcity flopped
  • Star Wars: TOR basically flopped even as a free-to-play title
  • Steam has grown massively
  • Steam has increased its lead in features rather than Origin closing the gap
All of the above lead to a potential miscalculation of both how many users they would have on Origin and how many users they would forego on Steam by being exclusive.

That is what keeps me hopeful that EA will wise up and release their games back onto Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom