• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

GMG has a sale on Civilization V DLC, Brave New World is on sale for $10.19, don't see a 20% code atm though.
SHould i wait for the Winter Seal or get them now? Hmm...

Hasney

GMG has a sale on Civilization V DLC, Brave New World is on sale for $10.19, don't see a 20% code atm though.
SHould i wait for the Winter Seal or get them now? Hmm...

Can't see it going much lower on the Steam sales. $9.99 maybe?

Shame it's only on for a little bit or you may have been able to see what Autumn sale brings first.

Tizoc

Can't see it going much lower on the Steam sales. $9.99 maybe?

Shame it's only on for a little bit or you may have been able to see what Autumn sale brings first.

Well Amazon.com tends to have better deals come X-Mas. I'm trying to hold out on buying a lot of stuff atm (I get my monthly paycheck next week). Will try to hold out on buying if I can, though I am tempted by those prices.

VaeVictis

Wheelman?

Always reminds me of that American Dad parody "Wheels & the Legman".

vlcsnap-55465.png

Hasney

Well Amazon.com tends to have better deals come X-Mas. I'm trying to hold out on buying a lot of stuff atm (I get my monthly paycheck next week). Will try to hold out on buying if I can, though I am tempted by those prices.

Obviously can't guarantee, but I would think it would be in some other kind of sale around that sort of price come sale times, either on Amazon or Steam.

Jawmuncher

I just bought Full Spectrum Warrior complete with cc=us. No issues on this connection.
Might have to do with me contacting support earlier on so maybe they allowed it or something

The_Monk

Hello fellow GAFfers, as well all know, autumn, is characterized by the dropping temperature, leaves turning yellow and days feeling shorter.
This may give some nostalgic mood for some, others will decide it’s better to stay warm at home after a long day of work or study. With the upcoming Steam sale, you will have many opportunities to grab some neat titles to play in those days. Below I will list a couple of small things that make the experience better for myself, hope you find it useful and I hope you can relate to some of them.

The Monk's guide to enjoy the Autumn Steam Sale with the best Community ever created

Step 1 Create a realistic Budget

It’s important to know that two things might happen, you will spend less than expected or more than you should. To keep things real imagine a budget number. Then, add a below and above quantity. This will help you see on what step you are regarding your own budget. Remember that, everyone is different and each person have their own budgets so always respect everyone no matter how high or low their own budget is.

Step 2 Always welcome new members to Steam-GAF-Community, Steam first-timers or PC Gaming newcomers

It’s important to make every fellow GAFfer feel at home. I don’t believe in the “PC Master Race” line because there are games for every platform, operating system and different requirements. You can play on a Titan, on a Laptop or in a humble rig, it does not matter. There’s a game for everyone’s tastes, wallet and capabilities. It’s the fact that, no matter where we play or what we play, there’s a place for us to discuss and help each other while creating a friendly and warm place to everybody.

B38bi28.png

Step 3 Create a realistic Wishlist

There are games that you can’t wait for them to go on sale, others you may feel tempted and some are on a low priority. By creating a Wishlist (you can also do it on a piece of paper or in a Excel sheet) it will help you on what games to focus leaving space for those others that may appear on a flash deal that you were not even expecting them. It’s always important to separate the games you really want for the games that you might get from flash sales and Community chosen votes. This can also help your budget limits. WAIT FOR THE DAILY DEALS (and so on) also applies here. Beware of the Hype levels one can reach during this time.

DUtt0MZ.png

Step 4 Accept or disregard a Backlog

You may have found that now you have more games than time to play them. Well, that happens, but fear not, games are something that are meant to be fun, not a chore. One thing that can help you focus on cleaning your Backlog is to play one or two games at a time with one Multiplayer game (if that’s your thing) to keep things balanced. I've noticed that, the more games I have installed the harder it is for me to finished them. Have you ever thought: “Hmm, I should play something!” then you scroll your library, take some time looking at it, then close it and go back to GAF? Using less installed games and keeping my tab on Installed helped me to focus on said games then install new ones when I’m done or tired of them.

Step 5 Rest, sleep enough hours and take care of yourself

Health is important. With all things going on in our lives, it sure feels good coming back to catch up with all the sales, the hype and the Community aspect that exist on GAF but also, it sure can be hard and tiring after a long day. You may feel sleepy and even stressed and you just want to relax, yet, you feel you would like to discover a little more about some game universe. Taking a book to the bed can be a good relaxing tip. Reading can bring you relaxation just before going to sleep, it also improves your reading and interpretation skills as well it motivates your brain to be more creative, imagining everything you are reading.

The book from my photo is called "Alan Wake files" Compiled by: Clay Steward

Step 6 Create your own environment to enjoy all of the above.

Imagine this: It’s getting colder, you just arrived home, your things are organized and everything is placed. You take a shower, put some comfy clothes and do everything that needs to be done in the house with your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, family, etc. Then it’s time for some gaming.
You grab a nice cup or hot coffee or some nice and warm tea. The game finished installing, you are ready to have a great time. You can see the hot vapors (Steam?) coming out of the mug of said coffee/tea, you look at the window and it’s getting dark. You can see it’s cold outside but you have been blessed by having a little game to play, a great Community to enjoy discussing it and you are now ready to have some fun and relaxation time. Because you deserve it. Feels good.

I also find some games to be best suited for a certain time of the year. The colors, the settings or even the season of the game can match the real time we are in. I find this to be more immersive. Let’s say, a game like Skyrim feels so much better to be played in the cold winter. I try to mix these two conditions since it makes gaming a little more fun to me.

The End.

It's almost time, hope you can all have great fun my good fellow GAFfers! ;)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Are rugby challenge games any fun?

Are you new to rugby and really want to learn it, but can't find the time to be taught in real life? Do you casually enjoy rugby and would like to play a small bit of it as a game from time to time, say as palate cleanser between bigger games? Will you be okay with a game out of date visually, poor commentator use and cut scenes you'll just end up skipping every time, as long as the game play is generally solid?

If so, aye, Rugby Challenge 2 is fun. Not the original. Best stick with 2, sequel improvements and fixes you see.
It does a very competent job at teaching you about the sport of rugby and how to play this video game version of it without much strife or explanation needed on top of it. No getting stuck on "what does that weird term mean?" or "why does the A.I. constantly do something I only get penalties for?" like some other sport games. Quite easy to get into and enjoy, while still having plenty to master if you so wish.
The game play itself is nice and straight forward once you've grasped the rules and basics, nice quick and action heavy for the sport, solid A.I. that isn't too punishing for those just wanting a bit of fun, and plenty of manoeuvres you can try out to make it feel more fresh each time you play.

If you are looking for a top tier simulator of the sport of rugby, this won't be it. Some have called it "arcade like" as a positive and a negative depending on what they want, and a deep "as close to realism as possible" type game this is not.

Mind you if you are going to play multiplayer I don't know if that still exists, and it has a massive divide between those who only play for a spot of fun and those who have dedicated themselves to it. The game A.I. can be on the easy side and will in no way train you for human opponents.

The Monk's guide to enjoy the Autumn Steam Sale with the best Community ever created

Thank you for that my friend, it brought a smile to my face.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've only experienced this in Metro Steam skin... but why are my downloads pausing on their own? I know for a fact that Steam pauses downloads when a game is launched, but not while a game is being played! This only happened so far with Metro skin.

Grief.exe

Great guide Monk!

Especially the part about not becoming a chore. Just do what you want, that Backlog will still be there when you retire.

I definitely need to get going on step 6.
My biggest issue over here is i'm never comfortable.

How is the deployment going Jaw?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What are your wildest steam sale dreams? I hope MG:R drops at like, 50% off. That would be quite excellent.

All games released in 2007 still on Steam to be purchased as a bundle of $20.07 CAD.

Okay so that's less wild and more Loonie.

okayfrog

Banned
What are your wildest steam sale dreams? I hope MG:R drops at like, 50% off. That would be quite excellent.

But that hasn't even come out yet...
Anyways, 75% off Sacrifice. Game always looked neat, but even at $5 I can't jump. I know it'll never go any lower, however, due to the fact that it's an old game that nobody cares about. Somehow Freedom Force gets 75% off each sale, however.

Zuggie

Neo Member
Still some keys leftover from the last thread....no longer a Raffle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hard Reset: Extended Edition -- MB-314D2F650670E558
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-74E34DEE049AF183 - Taken by Andrefpvs
Fez -- MB-3A1C5D9CEEF1ACE2
LIMBO -- MB-D5D5B639B3032676
Magicka Plus Crusader Kings II -- MB-D401BB5C658C7C60

By the way, are we able to add gift keys from the new Humble Bundles to ModBot? For example the new WB Humble Bundle Keys allow me to gift them to an email address. I read the ModBot post, but did not see any info regarding new Humble Bundle gifts.

Lain

I see Eryi's Action got released on Steam. I hope a steam key will be added to the indiegala bundle.

For something different, are the Desperados games good?

oipic

Classy new thread, 9 pages chalked-up in next to no time, and a great guide posted by our dear Monk. All is well in the world, I'll head back to bed then. SteamGAF! <3

Oh, and thanks for the heads-up about the Ring Runner keys, folks. Nothing gets missed in here, you guys are wonderful like that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
By the way, are we able to add gift keys from the new Humble Bundles to ModBot? For example the new WB Humble Bundle Keys allow me to gift them to an email address. I read the ModBot post, but did not see any info regarding new Humble Bundle gifts.

Click the gift box icon, right click the generated link (don't click the link or go through with it) and copy it. Use what you just copied for the ModBot URL.

0SL4aXX.png

And the ideal format for helping ModBot parse stuff is

Game Name - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=UdUhetcetcetc
Game Name 2 - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=BzAoetcetcetc

If the game name has a separator in it ("-", ":", "|", etc) then ModBot will take a stab at it but you might be better off dropping them when you put it in.

Step 5 Rest, sleep enough hours and take care of yourself

Health is important. With all things going on in our lives, it sure feels good coming back to catch up with all the sales, the hype and the Community aspect that exist on GAF but also, it sure can be hard and tiring after a long day. You may feel sleepy and even stressed and you just want to relax, yet, you feel you would like to discover a little more about some game universe.

The_Monk being awesome as always.

The sleep point is actually interesting for me. My whole life I've struggled with on and off bouts of insomnia, which usually takes the form of for a week or so out of the month I'll have a bunch of days that I'll wake up at like 2am and be totally unable to go back to sleep. During the day I honestly don't game much, as I'm busy with family and life, so that early morning insomnia time is probably where I play 90% of my video games these days. The thing is I kinda wonder if making that my "game time" is actually making my insomnia worse. Essentially by rewarding myself with fun video games when I give up on sleep and get out of bed I'm conditioning myself to not even try to get back to sleep.

I believe Steam is reaching or has reached an oversaturation point. Not the kind of oversaturation point you might imagine (in terms of number of consumers), but oversaturation in the amount of content.

To speak more plainly, the marketplace is becoming flooded with too many games, a lot of which aren't very good.

Now is about the time that people mock me and say, "more games is always good." No, not true. Too many low quality games killed the gaming market on the Atari platform. Nintendo was seen to have revived gaming based solely on making sure all the games released for NES were of a certain high quality.

Here we are and Steam is as popular as ever, but I continue to see junk poor into the platform like a river. Nobody has enough bandwidth to review all that content and people are going to start getting burned.

I can't wait for Black Friday/Autumn Steam sale to begin! It's one of the most wonderful times of the year.

Right behind Summer, Winter, and other sales :p

Here we are and Steam is as popular as ever, but I continue to see junk poor into the platform like a river. Nobody has enough bandwidth to review all that content and people are going to start getting burned.

There will always be shit on every platform. Steam has just about the same amount of crap as any console's lifetime. The difference is that PC is open platform, so other people can and will fund/greenlight/whatever games just to have them, buy them, etc if they interest them.

Also PC is infinitely backwards compatible, so it makes years of bad games stack up more. If someone really has a problem, communities can help a person decide to buy a shitty $2.50 sale title.

wazoo

A nice thing to do waiting for the steam sales is to have a list of closed studios within the year. That kind of information would have pushed me to buy Blur and Bloodstone last winter sale.

okayfrog

Banned
Every game on this list returns for 24 hours at 90% off.

I remember my friend got me Indigo Prophecy on Steam a few years back, a game which I had beaten years beforehand and shown no interest in whatsoever since. All I could say to him was, "Oh boy, thanks." Guess it was all for the better now that the game is somewhat special.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I believe Steam is reaching or has reached an oversaturation point. Not the kind of oversaturation point you might imagine (in terms of number of consumers), but oversaturation in the amount of content.

To speak more plainly, the marketplace is becoming flooded with too many games, a lot of which aren't very good.

Now is about the time that people mock me and say, "more games is always good." No, not true. Too many low quality games killed the gaming market on the Atari platform. Nintendo was seen to have revived gaming based solely on making sure all the games released for NES were of a certain high quality.

Thanks Indie gaming! Also thanks for bitching till you got greenlight.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Step 1 Create a realistic Budget
While I do understand people that need to create a budget to spend on games, be either because they don't have enough money or don't have money expending control (a very real problem that I see happening daily in my family), but I like to take another approach on the subject.

On sales, I look at a deal mostly by analyzing two important characteristics: "Am I going to play this game before it goes on sale again?" and "Is this the cheapest this game has the potential to be?"

Clearly, there are secondary characteristics that also have some weight on the decision: "Do the company that create this game deserves my help?" and "do I already own this game on another platform?", but the first two are the mandatory ones.

I'll give you a couple examples:

I Bought Assassin's Creed 1 for 5 dollars because I already played it on console. It wasn't my copy, I borrowed from a friend, but I though the game deserved my money, even if only 5 dollars. I bought Assassin's Creed 2 for 7,50 dollars because it was the cheapest the game would possibly ever get (75% discount on top of a price reduction). At the time, I had intention of playing it soon, but I never did, thanks to my backlog. However, the game has never been any cheaper. I didn't buy Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood because a) I didn't play Assassins Creed 2 yet b) IT was 75% off, but it didn't receive a second and final price reduction like AC1 and 2 did c) I wouldn't play it anytime before the next sale.

However, I DID buy the PC Port of Mortal Kombat on pre-order. But I did it because: GreenManGaming was providing a discount at the time, pre-ordering it gave me Mortal Kombat Klassics and I thought that I should give money to WB for porting the game over.
I loved the game on the 360 and I already bought it, but I gladly paid more to show WB that they should port things to PC.

And that was a good decision, because they ported Injustice: Gods Among Us to PC, a game I always wanted on consoles but never bought because it never achieved the other rule when buying games (not discounted enough, not cheapest price it could ever be). Now it's on PC, and I'm glad I waited. However, I didn't buy it yet because, again, it didn't fulfill the pre requisites for me to buy a game.

One can say that they need a budget because they were saving money for months for the sales and that they don't have throwaway money for games, which I completely agree. Even though I don't have a set amount of money I can spend on games on sales (I usually buy based on the rules I said before, I notice that following this set of rules, I don't end up buying that many games. I usually spend between 50 and 100 dollars on each sale.

TL;DR: Buy games that are 75% discounted. Buy games because you're going to play them soon, not because they're cheap. YOLO.

wazoo

New releases and AAA budgets are still selling the most on steam. Saying that insane backlog is hurting is a very console like approach (where they reset everything every 5 Years). Books and movies and music works on that idea of having everything available for ever. Niche and old gamers will be interested by that, but most consumers go for the new releases (because of advertising) no matter how big the shop is.

Erm...
I'd put even Bad Rats over the worst of the Atari 2600's library.

yoshizzle

Are you telling me this is not GOTY material?

Jawmuncher

How is the deployment going Jaw?

Good so far. Not much action going on which is a good thing. Means at this point everyone should be making it back home just fine. Only downside is the hours are still all over the place. Somedays i'm so tired I just sleep until my next shift. Still I have SteamGaf so i'm pretty happy about that. The antics here always brighten up my day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom