• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

I feel like no one ever talks about this feature

ioUjsgEquGyrS.png

What?
My Steam just... downloads updates. All the time. Automatically.

Is the Dark Souls deal still live, and if so for how long? I'm out of the house with my credit card info so can't buy it right now.

I've been away from the thread for a couple of weeks so knew nothing about it.

Anustart

Fallout 3 is worse for me if for no other reason than the one building with 2 doors on the same wall with a completely straight passage on the other side that connects to the other door on the same wall....

Adry9

Just bought Dark Souls and getting it to work with GFWL is proving tougher than the game itself. The damn program won't even start.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Asimov isn't easy to read, he tends to use too many words to say what can be said in few, but foundation is entertaining.
Why would you drop The Martian Chronicles three times? Holy smoke!
Actually, I found him much more entertaining than Arthur Clarke. The latter spends a lot of time describing the scenery and landscapes (at least on the Rama books, which are the only ones I've read from him).

I don't know why I dropped it, guess I'm a fool. The first two times I wasn't paying much attention to it, and the last one was in a ferry terminal, where I was waiting for the boat to come. Read the first 2 chapters, liked them, but never touched the book again (no reason for that, it just happened).

The entire Foundation series starts with Robots, like so...

The Robot Series
The Empire Series
The Foundation Series

Read order follows, as given by Asimov himself...

(1) The Complete Robot - (1982) - The Complete Robot is a collection of thirty-one robot short stories published between 1940 and 1976 and includes every story in my earlier collection I, Robot (1950). Only one robot short story has been written since this collection appeared. That is Robot Dreams, which has not yet appeared in any Doubleday collection.
(2) The Caves of Steel - (1954) - This is the first of my robot novels.
(3) The Naked Sun - (1957) - The second robot novel.
(4) The Robots of Dawn - (1983) - The third robot novel.
(5) Robots and Empire - (1985) - The fourth robot novel.
(6) The Currents of Space - (1952) - This is the first of my Galactic Empire novels.
(7) The Stars, Like Dust - (1951) - The second Galactic Empire novel.
(8) Pebble in the Sky - (1950) - The third Galactic Empire novel and first novel.
(9) Prelude to Foundation - (1988) - This is the first Foundation novel.
(10) Forward the Foundation - (1993) - This is the second Foundation novel. [ this title was not in Asimov's original list; list positions adjusted ]
(11) Foundation - (1951) - The is the third Foundation novel but most of the world knows this book as the first book of the "Foundation Trilogy". Actually, it began as a collection of four short stories, originally published between 1942 and 1944, plus an introductory section written for the book in 1949.
(12) Foundation and Empire - (1952) - This is the fourth Foundation novel, made from of two short stories, originally published in 1945.
(13) Second Foundation - (1953) - This is the fifth Foundation novel, made from two short stories, originally published in 1948 and 1949.
(14) Foundation's Edge - (1982) - This is the sixth Foundation novel.
(15) Foundation and Earth - (1986) - This is the seventh Foundation novel.

Good luck!
Whoa, thanks! I've seen this recommended order before, but totally forgot about it. According to Wikipedia, several stories included in The Complete Robot were featured in The Complete Stories 1 and 2, which I've read. The Naked Sun is great, and it's the only other book of his I have read, apart from Foundation. One day I'd love to have the full collection, but some of them aren't easy to find here.

I'm totally saving this post for later. A sci-fi book with masturbation graphs? Color me interested!

Oh, and thanks a lot to Xel for the heads-up regarding the Shivah keys. Sent an email last night, and I got a response today, with a perfectly working key. I should get to play these Wadjet Eye games someday; the only one I tried was Puzzle Bots and I liked it a lot.

Miguel81

Just bought Dark Souls and getting it to work with GFWL is proving tougher than the game itself. The damn program won't even start.

That's why DRM on top of DRM is bullshit. One service will affect the other.

Edit: Try re-installing gfwl--that's what I do EVERY time it craps out.

Caerith

I haven't played Witcher 1/2 yet. Been putting it off since they take place after the books (which aren't all out yet in the US), but thinking maybe I'll give them a go anyway. Are there any essential mods?

zkylon

zkylewd
Or that far in the 1st. I want to like this series =/
just play it on normal and maybe go to those encounters with some preparation.

I haven't played Witcher 1/2 yet. Been putting it off since they take place after the books (which aren't all out yet in the US), but thinking maybe I'll give them a go anyway. Are there any essential mods?
nope, just get the enhanced edition for witcha 1 if you don't have it already

witcha 2 has a few niceties but nothing too crucial

Hey Letho in Witcher 2 (chapter 1):

667.gif

The bosses in this game are almost as bad as bosses in Deus Ex:HR
Be patient, dodge his Aard, and use Yrden to trap him, attack him a few times, then break away. Easier if you have bombs.
Oh great, I'm about to try and get into this game (again) =/

Never even got that far before

Or that far in the 1st. I want to like this series =/
Go back and play the game!

There's also this semi official combat overhaul mod that you can try it out.

18th game finished this year, 5th in November. Really enjoyed it.

header_292x136.jpg

Telltale have made a game in The Walking Dead that helps redefine the Point & Click genre and bring into a more modern era. Alongside that they've truely mastered the art of 'choice'. Many games have attempted to bring the player choice and consequences, but few have managed to do it with great success. Most of the time the player is left with Ending 1 or Ending 2 even though they made 100 'crucial' choices throughout the game.

The Walking Dead, however, manages to really make the player feel that their choices matter, if not only in the game than morally and emotionally too. It achieves this by having a very story driven game that is supported by some of the best characters in a computer game. Characters that you don't really like (by design) due to their very human faults and personal baggage, yet as the journey progresses you become fond of them - they become part of your group.
That's when you know Telltale have you hooked in.

They manage to pull off The Walking Dead dynamic far greater, and with more ease, than the TV show has ever achieved in 3+ seasons (to date). Sure, computer games have the benefit of having no real watershed or TV Regulations to censor it's content; yet that's not what makes The Walking Dead game effective.
It's the high emotion dialect, the interaction between the characters and the observations you make as Lee (... and you will find yourself becoming Lee). All of this happens as a great underplayed soundtrack supports the drama, which at times pays a little tribute to previous Zombie Movie music (such as the electronic throbs of Dawn of the Dead's music).

When I look back I find no real fault in The Walking Dead, as long as you're aware of what you're letting yourself become a part of. This isn't an action game - it's one of the best emotionally driven interactive stories you will play. It's very easy to see why this game won so many awards in 2012.

So if you're a fan of strong characters, story driven gameplay, or are perhaps intrigued at the prospect of a modernised 'Point and Click' adventure then you should check out The Walking Dead. The good news is that you'll be able to play all 5 Chapters of Season 1 today, which will put you in a good place for Season 2 (which will hopefully be released early 2014).
The bad news is... you'll have to wait for the drip feed of each chapter in Season 2 to be released...

Backlogger

Depends on who you ask. I had more fun with 3, but then again, I hadn't played a western RPG all the way through since Ultima 5.

I like them pretty close to equally except for having to deal with a slight learning curve with FO 3.

When I first played 3 it was really new to me. I was able to get into the story much faster in New Vegas because I was way more familiar with Fallout and other Bethesda games which seemed to help me enjoy it more (still working on it in fact).

When I finish with NV I plan on modding out FO3 and going back and playing through it again. My first FO 3 play through was on the xBox.

DasFool

Is Max Payne 3 worth a go? The low price is tempting but I've heard mixed things about the pacing and shooting of that game.

If it helps, I love the first 2 Max Paynes.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I prefer Fallout 3 for it's atmosphere and wasteland (not buildings, with the exception of the Lovecraft tribute) over New Vegas and I feel a large part of that has to do with the music and the fact it wasn't so tied down to the previous games beyond a certain cameo.

New Vegas is a great game, better for game play and interactivity of the world and NPCs, but I couldn't get into it quite as much as Fallout 3 with music I'm rather indifferent to on the radio and I didn't really want more of that part of the U.S. having played so much of Fallout 1 and 2. It lacked the uniqueness to me that Washington D.C. as a location put out and I didn't have any idea of how that coast of the U.S. had fared.

Both great games and I can't agree with one side of the other for being "so much greater" or however it can be put, it's just a matter of what will speak to you more. Fallout 3 is playable, but not as robust as New Vegas. 3 may have certain stories or interests that will capture the interest more than New Vegas. Seeing a ruined city might speak to you more than one just about fully operational. The desire to nuke a small town may overide any interest in a "ghost" land side-quest. Three Dog may be more memorable to you than a bucket.

I don't thing either should be ignored or so viscously dismissed when there is plenty to enjoy in both. Not that I would put either above the original two games however, and that I'll bet some strange meat on.

I get the impression that if you would like new vegas you would've already played it

Funnily enough I just installed it last night after buying it...what years ago now?

I originally booted it up and played five minutes after finishing FO3. I then thought "not this shit again" and uninstalled it.

Since then all the positive impressions and mods have made me feel like returning. I hope it really delivers where the previous game failed.

AHA-Lambda

Is Max Payne 3 worth a go? The low price is tempting but I've heard mixed things about the pacing and shooting of that game.

If it helps, I love the first 2 Max Paynes.

I didn't personally enjoy it, felt more like a modern cover based shooter to me than a traditional Max Payne game.

Edit: oh and the plot is not very good at all.

Sarcasm

If it helps my wife, not an avid gamer loves Fallout..3 & NV. She begs me to replay them at least once a month lol.

She even uses the music when she has to hold the annual dinner party for her company.

Tenumi

Banned
I prefer Fallout 3 for it's atmosphere and wasteland (not buildings, with the exception of the Lovecraft tribute) over New Vegas and I feel a large part of that has to do with the music and the fact it wasn't so tied down to the previous games beyond a certain cameo.

New Vegas is a great game, better for game play and interactivity of the world and NPCs, but I couldn't get into it quite as much as Fallout 3 with music I'm rather indifferent to on the radio and I didn't really want more of that part of the U.S. having played so much of Fallout 1 and 2. It lacked the uniqueness to me that Washington D.C. as a location put out and I didn't have any idea of how that coast of the U.S. had fared.

Both great games and I can't agree with one side of the other for being "so much greater" or however it can be put, it's just a matter of what will speak to you more. Fallout 3 is playable, but not as robust as New Vegas. 3 may have certain stories or interests that will capture the interest more than New Vegas. Seeing a ruined city might speak to you more than one just about fully operational. The desire to nuke a small town may overide any interest in a "ghost" land side-quest. Three Dog may be more memorable to you than a bucket.

I don't thing either should be ignored or so viscously dismissed when there is plenty to enjoy in both. Not that I would put either above the original two games however, and that I'll bet some strange meat on.

Pretty much a perfect post right there.

I've played both, I prefer 3 over NV. That's just my opinion. Both are good games, both will have their lovers and detractors.

...Oh, Steam. I'd be totally hyped for a sale if it wasn't for the fact that my desktop computer is dead and I can't get a new one until February at the earliest.

huh, i hated NV when i played it, but never played 3...maybe i should give 3 a shot when its on sale then...it just sort of bored me, maybe 3 will click better...

Shade

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cogs -- MB-56E357A9F573EC64 - Taken by Mengy. 1 entrants total.
Swords and Soldiers HD -- MB-FA722D3E09245A69 - Taken by Sarcasm. 1 entrants total.
Zen Bound 2 -- MB-6B2DCBD1D3010F43 - Taken by Kipp. 1 entrants total.

t1385514161z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom