• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Strange, I thought all Valve games were on Linux by now, but I see Portal 2, L4D1, CSGO, Alien Swarm and SFM still aren't. Any updates regarding them?

Source doesn't actually have native Linux support, all of the OGL applications are done with a wrapper called TOGL.

Valve actually ended up with better performance after the wrapper was implemented, which is why I think they may be working on a universal one for more games in the library.

I feel like I've been in this thread enough that I should know the answer to this. But what exactly does GFWL mean for Dark Souls. Is it needed to install / register? And does this mean that at some point soon I might not be able to install the game anymore? I'm ok if this just kills multiplayer (on 360 I didn't invade and played mostly hallowed) but I don't want to buy it if I won't have access to it in years to come.

Omikron

One day

iKbNPlROGdQqg.png

Speaking of achievements however... just 6 more!

(Trying to remember what the 4th game I have 'perfected' is...really not sure)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I feel like I've been in this thread enough that I should know the answer to this. But what exactly does GFWL mean for Dark Souls. Is it needed to install / register? And does this mean that at some point soon I might not be able to install the game anymore? I'm ok if this just kills multiplayer (on 360 I didn't invade and played mostly hallowed) but I don't want to buy it if I won't have access to it in years to come.

When GFWL goes down you'll still have access to it. You just won't be able to sync achievements to your xbox account and no multiplayer, you'll have to make an offline GFWL account which takes like 3secs tops.

Source doesn't actually have native Linux support, all of the OGL applications are done with a wrapper called TOGL.

Valve actually ended up with better performance after the wrapper was implemented, which is why I think they may be working on a universal one for more games in the library.

I know all that, why are you telling me this? Also those results were regarding DX9. We don't know how more recent versions of DX and OGL compare.

Anyway it was just a simple question if there's any update regarding Linux ports of those games :lol

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Sometimes I wish devs didn't have the ability to delete topics in their own steam game forums. I posted in a very excellent thread analyzing many of Payday 2's gaping problems that Overkill refuses to fix in favor of being antagonistic towards their playerbase only to find it was deleted this morning, along with ~60 other threads with varying degrees of complaints.

It's a shitty move and further concretes my opinion that Overkill's lost their spine. Let's leave only the most unintelligible threads and the ones pandering for our product.

^^^^ What is the criteria for a "perfect" game? i has one apparently but I'm not sure how as I don't bother with achievements 99% of the time.

Eryi's action is a pretty cool game if you like games that hate you.
I do
It's super creative in finding ways to kill you.

I don't. FTL is the exception.

The_Monk

^^^^ What is the criteria for a "perfect" game? i has one apparently but I'm not sure how as I don't bother with achievements 99% of the time

You need to have every single Achievement for said game to be "Perfect".

Of course, by your definition FTL is a perfect game even without achievements, so it's okay. ;)

You need to have every single Achievement for said game to be "Perfect".

Of course, by your definition FTL is a perfect game even without achievements, so it's okay. ;)

Hm, you make a fine point fellow GAFer :D but I wouldn't say that FTL was absolutely perfect. There are a few aspects I would tweak but they may well be in the upcoming free update so I have fingers crossed! Although once I have all the achievements in FTL I might just agree with you ;).

ArjanN

get all achievements for that game

Correct.

How hard that is varies wildly on Steam though.

There's a bunch of games with easy achievements like The Walking Dead where all you have to do is complete the game, but also games like Team Fortress 2 where it's pretty much impossible to get all achievements.

Oh. I was hoping it would be something a tad more interesting. Oh well, I'm sure it's good for those that care :).

Depending on the game it can be really rewarding to go after the achievements, often score/challenge based games where the achievements let you get much more out of the game,
Sadly there's also a bunch of games with tedious grinding achievements or achievements for multiplayer that's dead in a week.

When GFWL goes down you'll still have access to it. You just won't be able to sync achievements to your xbox account and no multiplayer, you'll have to make an offline GFWL account which takes like 3secs tops.

Cool, I can live with that. Not sure when I'll find the time, but would love to do a second play at some point with all the DLC.

Grief.exe

I know all that, why are you telling me this? Also those results were regarding DX9. We don't know how more recent versions of DX and OGL compare.

Anyway it was just a simple question if there's any update regarding Linux ports of those games :lol

Just some interesting discussion, not necessarily telling you anything.

Turfster

Flying Bundle
Dungeons 'n' Computers
TIER 1: 1$
  • Adventures of Shuggy
  • Dungeon Prospector (not Steam)
  • Hack, Slash, Loot
  • Hackwork (not Steam)
  • Mystery game
TIER 2: 2$
  • Hacker Evolution + DLC
  • Hacker Evolution Duality + DLC
  • Hacker Evolution Untold + DLC

ArjanN

Agreed! Love almost all the Fallout games (excluding the BOS console title) but 3 is the best one.

I think it's by far the worst. (well except for BOS)

That Oblivion With Guns criticism really wasn't very far off the mark. It's nothing like the original games. New Vegas came closer but is still saddled with a bunch of problems from Fallout 3 like the terrible engine.

Copons

Cool, I was lost reading the iBuystuff Steambox thread then I got tired and came back here, just to find people talking about the most hyped, most currently peaked all-time simultaneous players, more than BF4, even more than Killzone 1.6GB of textures, most meta-review-gaming hype sensation ever: me driving a truck against stuff!

Do I want to act out my very own Adventures of Copons?

You do.

Magical Czech speed traps await you! :D

I literally never went back again in Czech Republic, and let me tell you: it hurts. I'm not ashamed to say that the best looking gals I've ever seen were in Prague. Sucks that to get them you have to endure a mailbox full of speeding fines. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
Fallout 3 >>>>>>>>>Fallout: NV
I leave the thread for a couple days and this is what happens

why can't people be content with bethesda's great magical adventure and real fallout being equally valid interpretations of a series meant for different people, horrible horrible people and the blessed few, respectively.

Well I hope you're wrong, otherwise I should start lowering my expectations for the rest of the franchise.
don't

play fo1 and 2

return to this thread feeling insulted

Not a bad little game

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-0F010003860F5309 - Taken by JakeD

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If you're a fan of postapocalyptic landscapes, then Fallout 3 is for you.

If you're a fan of postapocalyptic worlds, then New Vegas is for you.

Slyjss

I thought Dark Souls was going to be 7.5 $, so at 6 I bought it immediately. Even if it reaches 80% on Steam Sales, it will be cheaper thanks to the Euro-Dolar change. Praising the sun again \o/

The_Monk

I thought Dark Souls was going to be 7.5 $, so at 6 I bought it immediately. Even if it reaches 80% on Steam Sales, it will be cheaper thanks to the Euro-Dolar change. Praising the sun again \o/

That's tempting how much did it cost you in € fellow GAFfer? Thanks in advance.

dani_dc

He's so, so, so wrong.

Well guess I'll just have to find out myself when I have some free time to start and play through an RPG, I do own Fallout 1-2 on GoG and NV on Steam.

I found Fallout 3 fun for around 5 hours, at which point the game just lost me, walking around the world just wasn't particularly interesting, especially not after realizing how empty most of it was and. From a design/challenge perspective, the fact that the world levels up with you made exploration even more uninteresting.
As far the writing and story goes, the interesting stories and characters were also far and in between. So that killed my motivation to go foward in those terms.

I hear this points are better in NV (and 1-2 are simply completely different experiences), so I'm hoping I'll be able to enjoy them more than I did 3.

zkylon

zkylewd
dark souls for that cheap is amazing. not even worth wondering, just buy it, get owned and keep getting up

Well guess I'll just have to find out myself when I have some free time to start and play through an RPG, I do own Fallout 1-2 on GoG and NV on Steam.

I found Fallout 3 fun for around 5 hours, at which point the game just lost me, walking around the world just wasn't particularly interesting, especially not after realizing how empty most of it was and. From a design/challenge perspective, the fact that the worldt the world leveling up for you made exploration even more uninteresting.
As far the writing and story goes, the interesting stories and characters were also far and in between. So that killed my motivation to go foward in those terms.

I hear this points are better in NV (and 1-2 are simply completely different experiences), so I'm hoping I'll be able to enjoy them more than I did 3.
yes that's exactly the point

in any of those fallouts you don't have to skip the dialogue to enjoy the game, and the rpg mechanics are so much better it's silly.

fo3 is a theme park for bethesda enthusiasts, it's the best thing bethesda's done in a long time, but it's crap if you liked fallout in the first place

Omikron

Some left over stuff. Be aware I am not sure if a couple of them have been used. So... just a warning and sorry if they don't work! :(

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Pirates of Black Cove Gold -- MB-B0277D73F314E8D8 - Taken by Stitch. 4 entrants total.
KnightShift -- MB-C8B85843F475FE5C - Taken by scorpscarx. 8 entrants total.
WWIII: Black Gold -- MB-CFD5348B3A3A4F68 - Taken by madjoki
WWII Panzer Claws 1 & 2 -- MB-2F3B2A4881CCD32E - Taken by yoshizzle
Commander: Conquest of the Americas Gold -- MB-2FA6568CC5FBA34D - Taken by Fluxdyne
HOARD -- MB-BFB526B61B4222B4 - Taken by user237. 3 entrants total.

t1385516141z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom