• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

How's Call of Pripyat?

I ran the original with the 2009 mod on my machine and it ran very well (C2D 6750, 8800GT, 2GB RAM). How will this run?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
legend166 said:
How's Call of Pripyat?

I ran the original with the 2009 mod on my machine and it ran very well (C2D 6750, 8800GT, 2GB RAM). How will this run?

It should be alright if you stick to the DX8 or 9 renderer.

Blablurn

Fuck, titan quest doesn't work. the menu says "Tag not found". Looked for the problem on google. Found a possible solution (changing the language in some txt files') but it still doesn't work. FUFUFUFU.

I haven't been able to update/access Steam because it has been "temporarily unavailable" for the past 24 hours (I haven't used my computer for a month). Has anyone else had this problem? Should I reinstall it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ChoklitReign said:
I haven't been able to update/access Steam because it has been "temporarily unavailable" for the past 24 hours (I haven't used my computer for a month). Has anyone else had this problem? Should I reinstall it?

Try deleting ClientRegistry.blob in your steam directory and relaunching.

Neckbeard

Tried earlier to add an American Express gift card and royally ruined my steam account. Tried a few different address/name combinations and kept getting declined.

Now anytime I go to purchase anything I have to enter new payment method. Upon selecting anything I get the message:

There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance.

But alas, support has nothing in the knowledge base.

legend166 said:
How's Call of Pripyat?

That's my same CPU and GPU! I have 4GB of RAM though. About your question, COP runs a lot worse in DX10 with everything maxed out on my system (1440x900 res) with no AA at all. There is a setting called SSAO which has 2 options and disabled. Some people claim that disabling SSAO gives the best frame rate, but I find it makes no difference with my hardware and the SSAO setting for nvidia cards - HBAO enabled. The other setting, HDAO, causes the worst performance.

I just ran FRAPS a couple of hours ago with my 8800GT overclocked to 695 Hz, and these are the numbers I got:

Min: 18
Avg: 39

If you choose to run the DX9 shader, you will have no performance issues at all. However, with that shader, COP looks worse than Shadow of Chernobyl modded with Complete.

Aaron

legend166 said:
How's Call of Pripyat?

I have a similar setup and it took a lot of fiddling with the settings to run decently in DX10. The result only looks somewhat better than DX9 normally, but in the rain it's incredible.

Prodigal

Banned
For deals like the THQ weekly thing going on, do they usually bring back some of the sales at the end of the week? I'm pissed I missed Titan's Quest

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just bought Frontlines Fuel of War £1.49, it's rated as excellent for S3D by nVidia. Brilliant. Another one to add to the backlog pile.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Fuck it. Also got Bioshock for £3.49 and Aliens vs Predators for £7.49. I just can't stop myself.

Remy

Railworks? Pshaw! It's all about Farming Simulator 2011, bitches!

The sequel to the best-selling worldwide hit "Farming Simulator" has loads of new features!

Assume the role of a farmer experiencing the challenge of 18 hour days running a new farm in the middle of beautiful rolling countryside.

You start the game by choosing from a small collection of vehicles and machinery to explore your fairly sparse farmland which measures just 4 km. As you progress through the game you complete a variety of tasks like breeding and feeding the cows or spreading manure, milking, plowing, seeding and baling to build up wealth to invest in newer and better equipment and machinery.

Multi-player mode allows you to manage your farm together with friends over the Internet or local area network.

With career mode you take on the role of a young farmer and experience the workaday life of the countryside in a completely adaptable world.

Choose from loads of authentic licensed farming equipment including tractors, combine harvesters, plows, seeders and balers.

Thanks to the licensing of machinery from leading manufacturers including DEUTZ-FAHR, KRONE, HORSCH, PÖTTINGER and VOGEL & NOOT you are able to take control of authentic farming equipment.

The sequel to the best-selling worldwide hit "Farming Simulator" has loads of new features!

No disrespect to ...BigSims.com and Giants Software, but really? Really?

Edit: Beaten. Still, worldwide?

Acidote

Every single DoW game is 50 % discounted.
Dawn of War II: Gold 14,99 €
Chaos Rising 9,99 €
Dawn of War Complete Pack: 27, 49 €

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
WOOOOHOOOO! Chaos rising for only 10euro!

Too bad I already own vanilla dawn of war 2, because 15euro for dow2 and chaos rising is criminally cheap

confused

Banned
Corky said:
WOOOOHOOOO! Chaos rising for only 10euro!

Too bad I already own vanilla dawn of war 2, because 15euro for dow2 and chaos rising is criminally cheap

Vanilla Dawn is giftable, perhaps you could split the difference with someone.

garath

I already own Stalker but I couldn't help myself and got the bundle to get CoP. Even though I haven't played it since it came out, I'm going to have to give it a shot soon.

I need to stop watching Steam. I keep buying games I never get to play lol.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
zombieshavebrains said:
So i played some of the first DoW and it was enjoyable. Should i just skip the first DoW and its 3 expansions and get the DoW2 bundle instead?
I say yes, because people never really have time to play everything they get in a Steam sale anyway.

JoeBoy101

zombieshavebrains said:
So i played some of the first DoW and it was enjoyable. Should i just skip the first DoW and its 3 expansions and get the DoW2 bundle instead?

Bear in mind that while DoW had base building, DoW2 does not. Now, I think the combat and construction of DoW2 is better and I think the game itself is better than DoW, but I did like the map and the different races in DoW. DoW2, its only Marines (or Chaos w/ Expansion) in SP, other races in MP.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
zombieshavebrains said:
Are you mainly interested in singleplayer or multiplayer? DoW II is an excellent single player hybrid of RTS and RPG and is well worth the money even if you never touch multiplayer.

Sort of interested in the big complete package. Never played the game before but always interested. My favorite RTS in the old days was Tiberian Sun, and the last RTS I really loved playing was Generals / Zero Hour. Any idea's if it would be worth it?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
JoeBoy101 said:
Bear in mind that while DoW had base building, DoW2 does not. Now, I think the combat and construction of DoW2 is better and I think the game itself is better than DoW, but I did like the map and the different races in DoW. DoW2, its only Marines (or Chaos w/ Expansion) in SP, other races in MP.

Did not know DoW2 was Marines only in SP.

poppabk said:
Are you mainly interested in singleplayer or multiplayer? DoW II is an excellent single player hybrid of RTS and RPG and is well worth the money even if you never touch multiplayer.

Interested in SP mainly. If its kinda like what Warhammer: Mark of Chaos was then i'll enjoy it.

Ihya said:
If you don't have Stalker CoP yet

BUY BUY BUY!!!
Play Chernobyl first, to get a concept for the game, and then be amazed with CoP. Just a really fun, dense, and freaky experience.

Edit: Make sure you play Chernobyl with the Complete Mod. Its a much better game with it.

theosi

Just bought STALKER and Bloody Good Time, I'm not sure why, as I have never heard of either before.

Damn you steam. Damn you.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
zombieshavebrains said:
Did not know DoW2 was Marines only in SP.

Interested in SP mainly. If its kinda like what Warhammer: Mark of Chaos was then i'll enjoy it.
It sounds sort of similar going from whats on wikipedia, but I'm guessing on a much smaller and more story driven scale. On each level you control 4 squads of 1 - 4 men, and have a set objective to accomplish, usually find something or defeat someone although there are a few defense missions. Each squad can be equipped with different equipment, and you get new loot dropped from enemies. Your squads will also level up as you go and you can assign exp points to different abilities. The levels are mainly real time tactics as you have to move your units into advantageous locations and use their unique abilities to defeat your enemies. There is an over arching storyline which links the levels, the story in Chaos Rising is more interesting.

Joe Molotov

She likes the way it's pullin' while we're tillin' up the land
She's even kind of crazy 'bout my farmer's tan
She's the only one who really understands what gets me....

header_292x136.jpg

She thinks my tractor's sexy

coopolon

zombieshavebrains said:

I would play Winter Assault, which is cool because it is multiple races in the sp campaign unlike DoW1 or DoW2+CR (I found it to be much more challenging as well). I would also play one of the other two expansionsions, I guess Soulstorm by default since it has more new stuff. I really liked the meta game the last two expansions introduced, but there's no real reason to play both.

I'm trying to add stuff to my cart but Steam keeps telling me "Sorry we couldn't add your item". Anyone know what's up with that?

Edit: I see I'm not the only one, yeah it says NO CONNECTION for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom