• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Except for PC retail is almost dead. Walmart carries a pitiful selection these days. Target and Best Buy really haven't cut back on shelf space, but it seems the selection is a fraction of what it once was. At this point, I don't really see the danger is pissing them off.
Wal-Mart's actually one of the better ones around here, a whole big row of stuff, Target only has a half row of which a third is the jewel cases now, plus all The Sims expansions.

Now the GameStop, I remember when it was a Software Etc. and had walls of PC games, that kiosk shoved in the corner with half the boxes semi-open or falling apart. That's what I think of when I think of dying PC retail.

But this is just me sharing my experience because I've apparently decided everyone needs to know what I think.

hiryu

I see that Gamersgate is having a big Halloween sale and they have Amnesia 50% off. Does Steam usually match these sales?

The Big Rig said:
I've got an Athlon II quad core, 4 gigs of DDR3 and a 5770. Could that handle Metro 2033 on high at 1280x1024?

For the most part. You'll notice some stuttering, though. Cut back on the shadows a bit and it should run pretty fine.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Originally Posted by Ogs:
Try running the game with this launch command

-nod3d10

for now at least to see if that fixes it.

(Right click on RFG on Steam, set launch options - paste the above in there, just in case you didn't know :))

Originally Posted by bloodydrake:
ya that fixes resolution/refresh problems but makes textures but ugly and low.
I suspect he's got the same problem as me running game thru an older HDTV.
dx10 doesn't like 1080i tv's nor native 30hz refresh rates and forces drop to 720p and 60hz but still flickers
I found way to fix this (and games like amnesia) is to run them in windows mode.

Originally Posted by bloodydrake:
i tried both and even did the very high detail hit a button then it says custom and the textures on vehicles are dramatically lower and ground textures....not sure why can't check ini since cfg file isn't plain text

Stallion Free said:
That would be a glitch then. Not everyone experiences that.

Figured out what was causing problems with textures and fullscreen flicker corruption problems btw.
In windows 7 64bit I had the font size set to 150% for windows so text is bigger on HDTV. for some strange reason that seems to affect games running in fullscreenmode.
Once I reset font size to 100%default and rebooted all the flicker problems and needing to run in window issues went away.
Just an FYI since its such a weird cause and affect issue.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
D-Pad said:
I see. thanks for the help guys. much appreciated! guess I'll be waiting a while longer before getting into (serious) PC Gaming.
Go buy VVVVVV only $5 on steam and ridiculously awesome.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
zlatko said:
Kinda sad that Dragon Age Ultimate Edition is a full 50 when Amazon is selling it for 40.

:( I'm still just UGH that PC games you download cost more than getting the damn thing from a store. I'd kiss everyone responsible for Steam if they would even drop the price of games just 5 dollars if you opt to download instead of getting a hard copy.
Well you waited this long to pick up the game, is it that hard to wait a little longer till a black friday or christmas sale?

Minsc

Gold Member
BobsRevenge said:
I'm not really digging Metro. It lacks a juicy quality.

It's a lot of fun when you get better weapons. I have some sort of automatic assuat rifle or something with a sniping scope (which makes it by far my best gun, even better than this weird energy weapon that looks like a crossbow on steroids), and I'm playing on easy (I hate it when NPCs die and I have to start over), really enjoying this play through - more fun than my attempt on normal.

It's sorta cool seeing some of the other worldly effects later on, and the level design is great at times.

D-Pad

So I tried out the Half-Life 2 demo, because the specs looked familiar to me (read: low). It runs nicely on my machine but then stage 6 (I think, it was the second demo stage) told me hell no. I went through my entire SMG killing a thing that came at me after jumping some saw-blades in the door. Then one was coming down a dark corridor, and then I rounded to my left and another one was standing right there. That's when I screamed "oh shit" and freak-quit the game.:lol

poppabk said:
Go buy VVVVVV only $5 on steam and ridiculously awesome.

I actually played the demo a while ago. It's a great game and I'll be sure to buy it! Thanks for the reminder!

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I've been playing Metro and I've enjoyed it up until Chapter 4. From then on it turns into a slog of narrow corridors with hidden enemies that one shot you. I'm seriously considering just uninstalling it because it's so frustrating.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mikespit1200 said:
I've been playing Metro and I've enjoyed it up until Chapter 4. From then on it turns into a slog of narrow corridors with hidden enemies that one shot you. I'm seriously considering just uninstalling it because it's so frustrating.
Sadly the game only ditches underground corridors/building interiors that all look exactly the same for a couple brief outings on the surface.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Stallion Free said:
Sadly the game only ditches underground corridors/building interiors that all look exactly the same for a couple brief outings on the surface.
Oh for fuck's sake, I wish I could get my girlfriend a refund. I didn't feel like playing this to begin with. Stupid friendly gift-giving girl!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Ihya said:
Give it time. Did you like STALKER? Do you like on rail shooters? This is just the best of both imo.
STALKER was alright and I don't usually like rail shooters. Maybe that explains it. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lyphen said:
Oh for fuck's sake, I wish I could get my girlfriend a refund. I didn't feel like playing this to begin with. Stupid friendly gift-giving girl!
Well I recommend giving it at least half an hour of your time if you enjoy incredible graphics/really thick atmosphere.

Prezhulio

Hmmm is darksiders too new on of to be up for a sale this week. I still haven't played it, there was probably a dozen times it was ridiculously cheap on ps3 and never jumped on it

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I bought Metro 2033 yesterday, and it basically ate my PC up and shit it back out.

I can play on super fucking low settings, but anything more and I'm playing a slideshow. :lol

Aaron

Lyphen said:
He's wrong. I'd say about a fourth of the game is on the surface.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Eh, I'm still going to try for a refund. Even though last time I tried to refund an unopened gift (Transformers) they turned me down, I just can't help hoping they will have a change of heart.

Ironically, both games feature Steve Blum as a voice actor, which is the primary reason I don't want to play Metro!

2-steveblumwolverine_a-257x300.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
mikespit1200 said:

That's another reason why I'm happy I played on easy. I can take about 15 shots to the head before I go down, and that's got to be in like a 5 second period or less. If I manage to find cover for 5 seconds between headshots, I'm good for another 10.

Despite that I still try to avoid being hit and hide behind corners and boxes and pick off the enemies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Aaron said:
He's wrong. I'd say about a fourth of the game is on the surface.
Inside buildings on the surface feels exactly the same as being underground. About 1/10 of the game is spent in the actual outdoors with no roof over your head, probably even less actually.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Lyphen said:
Eh, I'm still going to try for a refund. Even though last time I tried to refund an unopened gift (Transformers) they turned me down, I just can't help hoping they will have a change of heart.
It's unopened? Wait a couple hours, somebody will always not buy the game when it's available, come here and bitch about how he had class/school/work/to sleep/is dumb and wonder if somebody has an extra copy.

Sell it to that person and pay back your girlfriend with oral sex.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
drizzle said:
It's unopened? Wait a couple hours, somebody will always not buy the game when it's available, come here and bitch about how he had class/school/work/to sleep/is dumb and wonder if somebody has an extra copy.

Sell it to that person and pay back your girlfriend with oral sex.
:lol Good idea.

Ledsen

Minsc said:
That's another reason why I'm happy I played on easy. I can take about 15 shots to the head before I go down, and that's got to be in like a 5 second period or less. If I manage to find cover for 5 seconds between headshots, I'm good for another 10.

Despite that I still try to avoid being hit and hide behind corners and boxes and pick off the enemies.

The game really isn't that difficult on normal. I got stuck in one or two spots where there were tons of enemies and I got impatient way too often. There aren't really that many places where you fight big groups of guys like that though so it shouldn't be a problem.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder what gem will be revealed today. It's gotta be pretty special to beat the Metro deal yesterday.

Any people still playing Frontlines? Seems like it was one of those FPS' that went the way of the dodo fairly quickly.

I'm pissed Worms Reloaded is on sale for $10. I bought it at $20 and couldn't get it working for about a month or two afterwards. By then I lost all motivation to play. Now I don't want to play it because it's cheaper already. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom