• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dambrosi

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
There's a STALKER bundle on Steam for £6.24 - what's the consensus on CoP? More stable than SoC? I need my STALKER fix and I can't play SoC because of X-ray crashes..
That's what I'm wondering, too. Even so, I might just jump in at that price for Call Of Pripyat alone (I already have SoC, fully modded and fixed, don't really need another one).

If I do, anyone want to PayPal me £3 for my spare S.T.A.L.K.E.R? Assuming I can gift it, of course.

Aselith

Stop It said:
November 16th 2004, I remember the date because it is also my sisters birthday.

Before that, I remember the CS:S beta that you got for pre-ordereding. I swear that because I "manipulated" the content servers, that I was probably one of the first 10 or so people in the world to play the game. Those were the days. People moaning about "slow" content servers or bad service clearly were not using it when getting 100kilobyte/s was considered fast.

Yeah, my original registration for Steam was for Half-Life 2. :p

JADS

Dambrosi said:
That's what I'm wondering, too. Even so, I might just jump in at that price for Call Of Pripyat alone (I already have SoC, fully modded and fixed, don't really need another one).

If I do, anyone want to PayPal me £3 for my spare S.T.A.L.K.E.R? Assuming I can gift it, of course.

CoP is far more stable than SoC is. IIRC I have had two crashes in around 50 hours of play. I don't think you can gift SoC to other people.

careksims

Mr Nightman said:
Didn't start using steam until like 2 years ago, when it looked like this

steam0.gif

Glad I never had to use the first interface design :lol

Oh I remember those days! I remember pre-ordering Half Life 2 with all the goodies when it first launched. I loved Steam since. Hadn't had any major problems yet. :D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
snack said:
September 12, 2003. The day my PC gaming life changed. Forever.
*looks at Steam join date*

Yep, little did we know at the time that we were embarking on the (slow) train to the future of PC gaming.

RyuHayate

Is anyone else having extreme difficulty downloading games from the service this weekend?
I've tried multiple times to download TF2 (I really want to participate in the Headless Horseman event before it's gone) and I keep getting the "Servers are too busy to handle your request; try back later" response.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Weenerz

Banned
February 7th 2004

167 games

Could have sworn I did it earlier when I got HL2 for free with my ATI video card, but I guess not.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
March 7, 2004. 71 Games.

First Games: Half-Life Platinum, Half Life 2 and Sin Episodes: Emergence (ugh).

Latest games: Civilization 5, EVE Online and Transformers: War for Cybertron.

Before i used Steam (and it was in beta), i was told by someone that you would end up having to download CS every single time you went to play it :lol

I got Steam the second it came out of beta, what a train wreck :lol I think i was the only person out of all my friends who managed to get CS downloaded through it (anyone remember they ended up bundling the client with each gold source game because their servers were absolutely crushed ?). Sadly, Steam's original release killed me and my friends addiction to CS (maybe that was a good thing :D), not only because Steam was a pain in the arse but the changes .... the game just didnt feel the same anymore.

Hard to imagine just how far Steam has come, i know at the time (and for a couple of years after its release) i was angry and still didnt know why the hell we needed it. Now its just a pleasure to use (mostly) :D

Edit - I also remember selling my original Steam account because .... people loved having a low Steam ID (seriously). Think i got about £130 for it with just the gold source games and HL2.

From CAG

For anyone wondering why FEAR 2 isn't part of the holiday sale, look no further than the Games For Windows Live marketplace. The game w/reborn dlc is on sale for $5/400 space bucks.

I've been hoping for a STEAM sale on the dlc forever, but I guess this is good enough.

Baha

I used to have an old steam account during the CS 1.6 fiasco but I quit PC gaming for awhile and didn't come back until 2007 when the Orange Box hit. By then I had forgotten my old account info and made a new account. All I lost was Half-Life + CS/TFC/DoD on my original account.

f0rk

What happened in November 2004? Half Life 2? Mine is then, and lots of others seem to be.

Edit : Yeah November 16th 2004 was launch, can't believe it was that long ago.

kamspy

blackMamba1187 said:
From CAG

For anyone wondering why FEAR 2 isn't part of the holiday sale, look no further than the Games For Windows Live marketplace. The game w/reborn dlc is on sale for $5/400 space bucks.

I've been hoping for a STEAM sale on the dlc forever, but I guess this is good enough.

Thx for the heads up.

Doesn't use Steam. Never seen that before with a former (?) Steamworks game.

Still great deal for $5. Good shit.

Joe Molotov

My Steam join date is Dec. 27, 2004, after getting Half-Life 2: Collector's Edition for Christmas.

I didn't like the idea of DD at the time, and I continued to buy boxed versions even of games that registered on Steam like Half-Life 2 Episode 1 and Rag Doll Kung Fu. The turning point was a combination of Orange Box (which I preordered on Steam for the TF2 Beta) and the introduction of Weekend Deals (which began around the same time IIRC). Now I'm totally sold.

50 games

Signed up shortly after buying The Orange Box with my new 'capable' PC. I still haven't finished Half Life 2 yet.

Zinga

Banned
Games: 85

I still remember the first time I played CS on steam, it solved a lot of issues I was having with dial-up at the time and with my local servers. I actually wrote a letter to Gabe Newell thanking him for Steam, this was at the time where everyone hated steam and people were protesting against it and he sent one back! cool guy

Dambrosi

Banned
blackMamba1187 said:
From CAG

Hmm. FEAR 2 + DLC for £3.12...hmm.

Is it worth me giving Microsoft my debit card details, though? That's the question.

blackMamba1187 said:
From CAG

I couldn't resist F.E.A.R. 2 for $5... although I'm curious about how the file size is so enormous (15 GB).

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
121 Games

I preordered the HL2 Silver edition because i couldn't afford the gold edition as a poor freshman at college. But it gave me every single Valve game made up to that date so i stayed busy until it released. I still remember staying up till about 3-4am November 16th 2004 just to play it as soon as it was released. Then the next couple of weeks were spent with a bunch of friends in my dorm hall watching me play it thinking it was the greatest game ever made.

Blackheim

May as well join the parade. Steam member since August 23, 2004. 51 Games.

I was building a new computer and picked up an ATI Radeon 9600+ (couldn't afford the 9800 Pro :( ) video card that came with HL2/CSS. That's how I started with Steam, that crafty Gabe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom