• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linkzg said:
what is steam rating out of? (and that playing time is inflated. All I played was Fallout NV and it was closer to 25 hours according to that clock.)

and wow, December 2003 haha. All I remember about old steam is that it was a pain in the ass to download or update or something. I don't even know what I would have been playing then. I do remember the first time I saw the source engine was with Counter Strike.

wait, what is "Half-Life Platinum Pack"? it is the first game I purchased and it files it under retail. Then there is Half-Life 2 Silver, which is listed under steam store. I was sure I bought HL2 retail.

oh man, SIN episode 1! I can't wait for the next one.
The Half-Life Platinum Pack came with Half-Life 2 Silver and contained all Valve games released before Half-Life 2. I remember this because I made a new Steam account just to buy Half-Life 2 Silver so I could have CS on more than one account.

I loved SiN. :(

SmokyDave

Member since October 23 2009.
Steam Rating: 7.4 <- What does this mean?
23.6 hrs in the past 2 weeks (thank goodness it doesn't count rFactor).
35 Games.

I can't wait for the holiday sales.

toasty_T said:
So I actually went through my list of games and counted the ones I actually saw the credits for and I was shocked at how few I've actually finished :lol

Stop buying games dammit.
You know they're probably going to have a super-awesome winter sale. Here's a syringe and an IV for when it happens.

Mr_Zombie

I'll join the party :D

Steam Rating: 3.5 :(
Playing time: 11.2 hrs past 2 weeks
30 games (most of them I haven't even installed)

vazel

Banned
Zero-Crescent said:
You know they're probably going to have a super-awesome winter sale. Here's a syringe and an IV for when it happens.
Hopefully. The last Christmas sale sucked. The one from two years ago was awesome. Let's hope it returns to form.

Firehead

vazel said:
Hopefully. The last Christmas sale sucked. The one from two years ago was awesome. Let's hope it returns to form.
The last one... sucked? Are you mad? It was quite epic. Especially if you partook in the Steam secret Santa (which I hope we're having again this year :D)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Steam Rating: 10

Playing time: 58.3 hrs past 2 weeks

Fallout: New Vegas
55.4 hrs / 55.4 hrs

D:

confused

Banned
Can we please return to posting Steam Announcements and updates ? Who cares how long you've been on Steam or how many games you own ? Go wave your dick elsewhere.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
far from boring. played about 5-6 hrs this weekend w/ some gaffers. fun times.

edit: doesn't seem like brad knows how to play
Shocker. I don't know why the fuck people use Quicklooks as a review. It's an even worse idea than using actual reviews.

vazel

Banned
Firehead said:
The last one... sucked? Are you mad? It was quite epic. Especially if you partook in the Steam secret Santa (which I hope we're having again this year :D)
Oh snap I was thinking of Amazon's Black Friday sale.
ugh.gif

IceMarker

Futuremark and Fatshark present Frontiers Free Weekend November 4–7

Shattered Horizon and Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West Zero free to play all weekend, or buy both titles for $12.49 saving more than 60%

HELSINKI, FINLAND – November 1, 2010 – Futuremark® Games Studio and Fatshark today announced the Frontiers Pack, a special game bundle that includes multiplayer shooters Shattered Horizon™ and Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West. From November 4–7 both games will be free to play on Steam during the Frontiers Free Weekend letting friends enjoy combat from the frontiers of the Wild West to the depths of space. In addition the Frontiers Pack will be on sale during the event for just $12.49, a saving of more than 60% over the regular cost of the two games when bought separately.

Shattered Horizon is an innovative multiplayer first person shooter that immerses you in the cold reality of zero gravity combat in space. The game recently started an open beta that adds AI bots to the game for the first time. These bots will be available on special servers during the free weekend to help new players learn the unique tactics possible when playing an FPS in zero gravity.

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West is a third-person shooter that delivers an intense team-based multiplayer experience. Relive the violent era of the Wild West with adrenaline-fuelled action and fast-paced gunfights. Engage in gritty battles in beautifully rendered classic Western settings. Players test their mettle in genre-specific game modes and levels tailor-made for satisfying team play. Lead and Gold recently had a new map and game mode added and now has dedicated servers available.

Frontiers Free Weekend on Steam
Starts 23:00 GMT Thursday November 4
Ends 21:00 GMT Sunday November 7
Players can start pre-loading the games from Wednesday evening.

Weekend Sale on Steam
Shattered Horizon: $9.99 (SRP $19.99)
Lead and Gold: $7.49 (SRP $14.99)
Frontiers Pack, includes both games: $12.49 (SRP $24.99)

Shattered Horizon on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/18110/
Lead and Gold on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/42120/

###

About Shattered Horizon
Shattered Horizon is the innovative first game from Futuremark Games Studio that immerses you in the cold reality of zero gravity combat in space.
Multiplayer first-person shooter set in near-Earth space 40 years from now.
Experience intense zero gravity combat and complete freedom of movement. Use your rocket pack to fly freely through space then land on any surface.
Join your friends in action-packed 32 player battles fighting across eight space based levels from hollowed-out asteroids to the ruined remains of the International Space Station.

About Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West is a third-person shooter that delivers an intense team-based multiplayer experience.
Four playable characters with different strengths and weaknesses, adding depth and variety
A multitude of different game modes and settings, all with a distinct feeling of the Old West, providing increased longevity
Unique reward system that rewards players who play as a team through the use of the Synergy system
Easy pick-up-and-play controls

About Futuremark® Games Studio
Futuremark® Games Studio, wholly owned by Futuremark® Corporation, was formed in January 2008 to create original games with new and entertaining gameplay. Shattered Horizon™ is the studio's first self-published game. Shattered Horizon is rated Teen by the ESRB and 16 by PEGI. The game carries the NVIDIA®: The Way It's Meant To Be Played™ seal. Futuremark is based in Helsinki, Finland and maintains a sales office in Saratoga, California. For more information, please visit http://www.futuremark.com/

About Fatshark
Fatshark is a Swedish game development studio located in Stockholm comprised of experienced and skilled developers with experience from several AAA titles. Fatshark is currently working on Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 for Capcom. Follow Fatshark on Twitter, www.twitter.com/fatsharkgames and www.fatshark.se

About Paradox Interactive
Paradox Interactive is the publisher of Lead and Gold. Since 1999, Paradox Interactive has been a leading global developer and publisher of PC-based strategy games. World-renowned for its strategy catalog, the company holds a particularly strong presence in the United States and Europe. Its steadily-growing portfolio includes originally developed titles such as the critically acclaimed Europa Universalis and the Hearts of Iron franchises, as well as publishing titles such as the Elven Legacy series, Mount&Blade and Majesty 2.

© 2010 Futuremark® Corporation. Shattered Horizon™ and Futuremark® Games Studio trademarks and logos, Futuremark character names and distinctive likenesses, are the exclusive property of Futuremark Corporation. The names of other companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Holy shit awesome (I already own SH though.)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
confused said:
Can we please return to posting Steam Announcements and updates ? Who cares how long you've been on Steam or how many games you own ? Go wave your dick elsewhere.
A lot of the time there are only new announcements and such once every three days or so. Have to do something to pass the time between mid week and weekend sales. ::shrug::

Monroeski said:
A lot of the time there are only new announcements and such once every three days or so. Have to do something to pass the time between mid week and weekend sales. ::shrug::
There are like a billion threads on this forum.

I get excited every time I see this thread updated because I like spending money, but it's been all of you circle jerking for like two days straight now. :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
As much as I loved Shattered Horizon, I can't say that the pack is worth it. Both games just had massive faults that prevented them from keeping even a minuscule community for longer than a few days after a free weekend.

Shattered Horizon is just too narrow in focus. The weapon update didn't do much to change this (and the update itself was pretty amateur, muzzle flashes are bad, sounds are bad, and models and super simplistic). Add to that, it comes out in 2009 when Windows XP is still a leading operating system on the Hardware Survey, and they flat out don't support it. Not a good plan.

Lead and Gold took three and a half months to get a dedicated server, at which point nobody was left playing to even care.

I mean, if you want to take a look at how an indie MP shooter can be killed before it is released by omitting key features, despite decent gameplay, take a look at the pack. Otherwise it's just money spent on the prayer that someone will be left playing two days after the sale ends.

I'll be ignoring this one, happy with my Natural Selection 2 pre-order for 7$ more.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I liked Lead & Gold a lot. Controlling the character and leaping all over the place feels really really good. If you can get a group of buddies to play with you it's definitely worth it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Steam Rating: 10googol

&#8734; Games

There, I fucking win. Can we move the hell on now?

Oddly enough, I still have less games than Evilore.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How exactly is Steam rating even calculated? Obviously more hours played in the two week span = higher rating, but what's the actual math equation behind it?

Also, Nation Red; worth it or not?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Free Shattered Horizon weekend? EXCELLENT! People to play against who will hopefully buy the game so that we can actually get servers with decent amounts of people in them. I'll hop on this weekend and sit some new guys the fuck down.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stumpokapow said:
How exactly is Steam rating even calculated? Obviously more hours played in the two week span = higher rating, but what's the actual math equation behind it?

I have about 2 hours played and I play a quick game every now and then when I am in the mood for mindlessly blowing away zombies. Its basically a twin stick shooter but with zombies and guns. If you have a controller I would recommend it, if you are looking for a score attack kind of game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Stumpokapow said:
I didn't care for it, it got old really really quickly. I would have preferred if it had actual levels that you progressed through instead of little arenas that you just held off against waves in.

SmokyDave

Stumpokapow said:
It's an average twin-stick shooter that's ideal for quick bursts of play on a pad (it even uses the 360 button labels IIRC). It's nothing special but it might be worth picking up for cheap if you have a twin-stick shooter gap in your library and a thing for zombie blood.

Edit:

Stallion Free said:
I didn't care for it, it got old really really quickly. I would have preferred if it had actual levels that you progressed through instead of little arenas that you just held off against waves in.
Yeah, this. The area that you run around battering zombies in just isn't very interesting.

Aw.

I got all excited that Telltale had a big surprise for us for a moment there - Poker Night at the Inventory is listed as a new release, presumably because Steam have it listed as coming out in "November".

On the plus side, you can still get 10% off when you pre-order it.

confused said:

This is at least marginally less annoying than the repeating fad of posting how much an account is 'worth' from that site.

Marginally.

If you guys haven't been a member of steam for at least 5 years, or own less than 100 games on steam don't bother posting because nobody gives a shit.

I doubt anyone gives a shit even if you meet both of the above criteria to be honest.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MrNyarlathotep said:
This is at least marginally less annoying than the repeating fad of posting how much an account is 'worth' from that site.

Marginally.

If you guys haven't been a member of steam for at least 5 years, or own less than 100 games on steam don't bother posting because nobody gives a shit.

I doubt anyone gives a shit even if you meet both of the above criteria to be honest.
Ideally, news would be in the OP and the bumpalumping would help spread it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm going to buy the Shattered Horizon 4 pack when it's on sale and gift out all the copies, because people need to play it. I might get 2.

Dreohboy

toasty_T said:
So I actually went through my list of games and counted the ones I actually saw the credits for and I was shocked at how few I've actually finished :lol

Stop buying games dammit.

This.

Mass Effect 1- unfinished
Mass Effect 2 - never installed
Resident Evil 5 - never finished
Wahammer 40 K Dawn of War 1 AND 2 - never finished
Ghostbusters- never installed
Half Life 2 - haven't gotten half way through the first episode
Dead Space - half way finished
Call of Duty Modern Warfare - never installed
Company of Heroes....hell, haven't gotten past the second tutorial

STOP BUYING GAMES!!!!
(says this, but I'm buying Lead and Gold on Friday :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom