• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
epmode said:
Correct. The program came up with the LOL NO INNERNET prompt but it worked once I chose to start in Offline mode.

It always greets me with a login screen (even though I have the credentials saved), and then I'll try to connect, it can't of course, and no matter how many times I try, it won't give me the option to go offline.

It's only when I do a hard restart though. If I hibernate, then it's not a problem.

AColdDay

Put me in the camp that has never had a problem with offline mode. I've had plenty of times my crappy internet has gone down, but steam has never ever kept me from playing my games.

MRORANGE

offline mode is a bit a of a weird one, although the current update makes steam work in offline mode I have had numerous issue's of steam failing to start up in offline mode and just stall in the past. it's still a hit and miss, but it's getting better.

Oreoleo

LocoMrPollock said:
It always greets me with a login screen (even though I have the credentials saved), and then I'll try to connect, it can't of course, and no matter how many times I try, it won't give me the option to go offline.

Pretty much my experience.

Log in, try to connect, "no connection," start in offline mode, "NO CONNECTION LOL"

Every time.

Burekma

I also have some offline problems but nothing I can't handle.

Whenever my connection goes down and I try to use Steam, it endlessly tries to connect to the servers. What I need to do is disable my network card in the control panel. It then immediately offers the offline mode and it worked every time I tried. I think it has something to do with me being on a router and the way it handles internet connection outages.

Either way, I was never prevented from playing something I wanted, which is good enough for me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Burekma said:
I also have some offline problems but nothing I can't handle.

Whenever my connection goes down and I try to use Steam, it endlessly tries to connect to the servers. What I need to do is disable my network card in the control panel. It then immediately offers the offline mode and it worked every time I tried. I think it has something to do with me being on a router and the way it handles internet connection outages.

Either way, I was never prevented from playing something I wanted, which is good enough for me.
Don't you NEED to go to Offline Mode at least once, manually, so Steam knows that you can go into offline mode, so it presents you that option when needed?

I remember reading something like that many moons ago, but it was on a much older version of Steam. I don't know how it's working now.

MNC said:
Okay, I'm freaking out (a little.) How do you get the achievement "I spy" for defense grid? What's the reconnesaince system?
Replay the first 2 or 3 levels and you should get it. I think one of the HUD elements isn't displayed until a couple or so levels in. Supposedly the achievements were bugged if you unlocked 2 at the same time.

Blizzard said:
I'm a big Steam fan generally, but just wondering...in this case why do you want the Steam version? Is it only for the Steam client download-anywhere option?

As far as I understand (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), preordering it off of GoG instead will get you:
1. No DRM at all (?)
2. The ability to download it as many times you want, to any computer, like Steam
3. Potentially free DLC if they decide to charge on other services but make it free on GoG, maybe very unlikely?
4. You can run the game from Steam, and have your friends see what you are playing. There is no multiplayer that I know of, so you will not need Steam to let you join friends ingame.
Also buying from GOG means all the money goes straight to the developers rather than some to publishers or some to Valve through Steam.

Just a heads up that CIV 5 is gonna be on sale for $20 on Greenman Gaming on Thursday for 24 hours, but they will probably go quickly.

Full list here if anyone is interested. Looks like at least 3 Steamworks titles.

All week: Get Sniper: Ghost Warrior for $9.97
Monday: Get East India Company Collection for $4.47
Tuesday: Get Just Cause 2 for $8.98
Wednesday: Get Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light for $4.48
Thursday: Get Sid Meier's Civilization V for $19.97
Friday: Get SEGA Dreamcast Collection for $14.98
Saturday: Get BioShock 2 for $9.98
Sunday: Get Tomb Raider Anniversary for $2.98

They have 20% off vouchers on their site, not sure if they will stack with the sales.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyone who still hasn't bought Just Cause 2 yet needs to take advantage of that deal.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale is 50% off @ $9.99 on GamersGate if anyone's interested. I just bought it full price like 4 days ago but no regrets.

Mrbob

jaundicejuice said:
Thanks for checking for me. I don't think I'll let GFWL stop me from grabbing DoWII and Chaos Rising. I have been trying to find a physical release of DoWII Gold (which includes Chaos Rising along with vanilla) but I can't find a copy anywhere, guess I'll just grab it off of Steam.

Where do you live?

If you want a discount on Dow2 Gold Edition go buy it off of D2D and use code CAG for an extra 20 percent discount.

DoW2 and Chaos Rising use Steamworks and GFWL. Steamworks is used for activation so any physical copy will be added to your Steam list. GFWL is used for matchmaking since Steam wasn't an option back then. I definitely recommend playing DoW2 and Chaos Rising for the campaign alone, and if you have a friend you can play it in co op. Very fun.

When you get done with those hop onto Retribution. You can use 6 different factions for the campaign in Retribution and right now I'm in the middle of 3 of 6 for the campaign run. Sunk about 30 hours into the expansion too according to my Steam page. Also, don't forget about The Last Stand. It is a horde type survival mode and it is fun to play in spurts too. This mode is getting a free update on April 6, can't wait. :D

Would anyone be interested in trading something for Serious Sam HD 1. I'm looking for The Ball, The Wonderful End, 123 Kick It, or a game from the Orange Box.

nyong

Banned
So if I buy Just Cause 2 from Green Man Gaming, it will show up in my Steam list, complete with achievements and such? I'm not in a huge rush to buy it, but it is definitely a title I plan to pick up at some point.

Also: If anyone needs another to go in for a 4-Pack of Darkspore, I'm in. I like the beta quite a bit more than I thought I would.

nyong said:
So if I buy Just Cause 2 from Green Man Gaming, it will show up in my Steam list, complete with achievements and such? I'm not in a huge rush to buy it, but it is definitely a title I plan to pick up at some point.

Also: If anyone needs another to go in for a 4-Pack of Darkspore, I'm in. I like the beta quite a bit more than I thought I would.

Yeah they will give you a key to activate on Steam.

And yeah, I'm down for a 4 pack for Darkspore. I think K-Jack may be interested as well.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
QuantumBro said:
Would anyone be interested in trading something for Serious Sam HD 1 or 2. I'm looking for The Ball, The Wonderful End, 123 Kick It, or a game from the Orange Box.
Portal?

I have a copy of Serious Sam HD First Encounter for trade. I'll throw in Portal if someone is willing to trade Magika. Serious Sam is listed at $15 on the US store and Magika is $9.99.

Snuggler said:
I can tolerate GFWL just because I'm an ex-Xbot and it's kinda nice to see all my old Xbox friends and add points towards my old achievement score. Of course I'd always prefer Steamworks but I haven't grown to hate GFWL quite as much as my fellow PC gamers.

I would have no problem with GFWL if it added anything positive to my gaming experience but it never has and it likely never will given all of Microsoft's fumbling re-launches. At best GFWL is an annoyance that traps me in update loops and at worst GFWL renders my games completely unplayable or robs me of my progress. It's just malware that uses games I want to play as trojans. I tolerate GFWL months or, in this case, years after a titles release at a significant discount.

Sanic

LocoMrPollock said:
Just a heads up that CIV 5 is gonna be on sale for $20 on Greenman Gaming on Thursday for 24 hours, but they will probably go quickly.

Thanks for letting us know, I think i'm gonna double dip on JC2. I'm not familiar with the site, do they accept paypal?

edit: nevermind, looked around on their site. New question: Will the key for JC2, for example, be listed on their site in my account right after buying it, so I don't have to mess with their client or anything?

Discotheque said:
Bulletstorm was a great game. Wasn't a fan of the 60 dollar price point but damn the campaign was fun from start to finish.

It's incredible to me that Bulletstorm only got a fraction of the attention Crysis 2 has gotten. Don't overlook this one, people. :)

ezekial45

Banned
I seem to be having some trouble with steam. My password is registering and when i try the password retrieval route, it says that i need to try again later.

Do they have an email or phone number i can call?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
TouchMyBox said:
It's incredible to me that Bulletstorm only got a fraction of the attention Crysis 2 has gotten. Don't overlook this one, people. :)
Not buying it, just to spite the fact that your avatar is from a terrible ass internet meme.

Echoplx

Pandoracell said:
Thanks for letting us know, I think i'm gonna double dip on JC2. I'm not familiar with the site, do they accept paypal?

edit: nevermind, looked around on their site. New question: Will the key for JC2, for example, be listed on their site in my account right after buying it, so I don't have to mess with their client or anything?

Yes they accept paypal and you can access the key without installing the client.

TouchMyBox said:

I planned from the moment I played the ps3 demo that I was going to wait for a Steam sale on this. I'm sticking to that. $20 or less for summer sale and I'm in.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, Bulletstorm is magnificent. I don't regret paying full price, it was that good, but it's not exactly packed with content so it would be reasonable to wait for it to drop to $30 or $40.

Ickman3400 said:
I planned from the moment I played the ps3 demo that I was going to wait for a Steam sale on this. I'm sticking to that. $20 or less for summer sale and I'm in.
Same here. Seems like a game I'll play through once and not touch again (and that's ok if it's as good as everyone says). 20 bucks and I'm sold

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I put in about two hours into the demo and loved it. I have a feeling it's going be the shooter of the year for me. But like you all... I'm a cheap bastard and rather wait for the 10$ sale a year down the line. Heh.

nyong

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah they will give you a key to activate on Steam.

And yeah, I'm down for a 4 pack for Darkspore. I think K-Jack may be interested as well.
Awesome, thanks. PM me whenever you want to pick up the 4-pack. I can be the main buyer is necessary too.

Salsa

9689_v.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
zombieshavebrains said:
I think you guys are being a bit optimistic if you think Bulletstorm will be 20 bucks come this summer. I'd say 35 maybe.

I would think 25% off during the summer/mid-year sale and 50% off during the Christmas sale.

LovingSteam said:
I have a copy of Serious Sam HD First Encounter for trade. I'll throw in Portal if someone is willing to trade Magika. Serious Sam is listed at $15 on the US store and Magika is $9.99.

Magicka: Vietnam (DLC/Expansion) will be released next week, so maybe the full game will go on sale
http://www.magickagame.com/news/2011/3/magicka-vietnam-release-date-set

And I just read this bit

All players will be able to play Magicka: Vietnam as long as the player hosting the session has purchased the DLC!

What a great thing to do.

Cheech

zombieshavebrains said:
I think you guys are being a bit optimistic if you think Bulletstorm will be 20 bucks come this summer. I'd say 35 maybe.

I had it already, but my buddy picked it up directly from EA for $30 (PC retail box). Subscribe to EA Flash Deals on Facebook, they have awesome sales all the time. I got Madden back in January for $25, and Dead Space 2 like two weeks after launch for $22.

The best price is on the digital download stuff, which you may or may not be averse to having to use EA's client. Still, you can always get the PC retail box for a couple bucks more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom