• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

3chopl0x said:
I'm having an odd problem with Steam downloads atm, over the past week or two I've downloaded about 300GB of games and occasionally after Steam says they are finished downloading I verify the cache and Steam will start downloading more content, it varies from a few MB to a few GB, is this normal (like getting extra patches?) or is this just Steam screwing up?

Don't have an answer to your question but I do want to ask, why are you verifying the cache after download? I can't think of a time where I've needed to do that. I download the game and hit play. Has worked for every steam game I've played so far.

Echoplx

Drkirby said:
Sounds like a screw up, but it is hard to say where. It could be a problem with your hard drive, or maybe your internet connection. Do you use wireless by chance?
I've got a Junction Point setup for my Steamapps folder on a separate 2TB HDD and yes I do use a wireless connection.

garath said:
Don't have an answer to your question but I do want to ask, why are you verifying the cache after download? I can't think of a time where I've needed to do that. I download the game and hit play. Has worked for every steam game I've played so far.
I did it the first time after Divinity 2 DKS 'finished' downloading and i went to play and there was no audio at all, and I just kept doing it after that to be sure.

Is there someone from the US or UK willing to do a Portal 2 two pack with me? It's a lot cheaper for me compared to buying it from the EU store. I can paypal you right away.

Edit: already helped :)

Sanic

3chopl0x said:
I'm having an odd problem with Steam downloads atm, over the past week or two I've downloaded about 300GB of games and occasionally after Steam says they are finished downloading I verify the cache and Steam will start downloading more content, it varies from a few MB to a few GB, is this normal (like getting extra patches?) or is this just Steam screwing up?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I experienced this just yesterday when I downloaded L4D2. Steam told me it had finished downloading, but when I booted up the game there were issues with the videos and some of the textures. I verified the game cache and steam proceeded to downloaded another ~70mb of data after that, which fixed the problems.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Yay, Steam Guard decided to activate on its own, and this public computer won't accept the code they sent me. Oh well, I wasn't going to do anything that important on their site :/
Using Steam on a public computer is probably a bad idea, but I really don't think you're alone. I think I have seen several people in different places complaining that the Steam Guard code doesn't work, so I think there's either some glitch or some weird trick you have to use to make it work (like codes without numbers working, something stupid like that).

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I just discovered a small indie game that has the word "hit" written all over it, and that I feel is being ignored by a lot of pc-GAF.

The game is called Gemini Rue and it's a click-and-point adventure with retro graphics.

Here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh2YYDcfT1Y

And the NeoGAF thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418675&page=2

IGN gave it a 9! Also, there must be a person reading this that can convince the creator to get the game on Steam. Don't let me down pc-GAF.

Exuro

pilonv1 said:
So I'm guessing we've got another RC for Australia here? Or at best a censored version of the Witcher 2
Right now the best guess is a price hike. A namcobandai rep said it wouldn't be censored for aus so I'm going to trust him until we get more concrete detail. Wait a few days and I'm guessing TW2 will be back up on the store with a new high price.

Moobabe

Lasthope106 said:
I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I just discovered a small indie game that has the word "hit" written all over it, and that I feel is being ignored by a lot of pc-GAF.

The game is called Gemini Rue and it's a click-and-point adventure with retro graphics.

Here is the trailer:

And the NeoGAF thread:

IGN gave it a 9! Also, there must be a person reading this that can convince the creator to get the game on Steam. Don't let me down pc-GAF.

Oh we know about it

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Drkirby said:
Yay, Steam Guard decided to activate on its own, and this public computer won't accept the code they sent me. Oh well, I wasn't going to do anything that important on their site :/
I had a similar issue but on the computer I actually use steam on. The second code they sent worked.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Joe Molotov said:
Wrong.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26349032&postcount=3218

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26350441&postcount=3224

I think you probably charged it on this card.
ih90C.jpg
Oooh yeah, I bought if for "charity", without even paying attention to what it was called.

Thanks lol.

Did Ubisoft ever remove the DNA-sample "constant internet connection" DRM from Assassin's Creed II? Brotherhood doesn't have it and I know they stealth-removed limited install DRM from FarCry 2, so figured I'd see if it's safe to buy AC2 yet.

nexen

Lasthope106 said:

Here is the trailer:

And the NeoGAF thread:

Yeah this game needs to be on steam.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
MomoPufflet said:
Did Ubisoft ever remove the DNA-sample "constant internet connection" DRM from Assassin's Creed II? Brotherhood doesn't have it and I know they stealth-removed limited install DRM from FarCry 2, so figured I'd see if it's safe to buy AC2 yet.

I believe they have changed it so it is the same as Brotherhood. So you need a connection to first log in, but you are fine after that.

snack

Lasthope106 said:

Here is the trailer:

And the NeoGAF thread:

This looks sick! Steam needs to get this and I'm in.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
ArjanN said:
FEAR and FEAR 2.
Especially as you can get the games pretty cheaply nowadays. Great titles that are often overlooked when people look for shooters to add to their libraries.

Exuro

boo, collectors edition canceled.

Since he was wrong about that he could also be wrong about the AU version not being censored.

Old news. Steam version of TW2 will have steam works. GOG version will be DRM free. All of that was confirmed when they actually announced the game for pre order.

Exuro

Lostconfused said:
Old news. Steam version of TW2 will have steam works. GOG version will be DRM free. All of that was confirmed when they actually announced the game for pre order.
This was about retail, in which a namco bandai rep said the boxed version would be steam integrated. This was from last week.

bkw said:
Is Amnesia ever bundled with the Penumbras? Thinking of getting them all, so I don't know if I should jump on Amnesia now, or wait for bundle sales (if they're ever bundled together).
After playing Amnesia I tried to play the Penembra games but they lacked the style/atmosphere/narrative that is so fucking good in Amnesia.

I think it's one of those series you need to play in order or just skip the last one. I'm happy enough having played Amnesia first, but if you want to play them all I'd advise getting Penumbra first to prevent them seeming like too much of a step backwards.

I don't know if they're ever bundled, but thought I'd throw that out there :)

Blizzard

Banned
desu said:
Man that sucks ... I want it as physical edition but also on steam! Hate to buy non steam games :|.
I'm a big Steam fan generally, but just wondering...in this case why do you want the Steam version? Is it only for the Steam client download-anywhere option?

As far as I understand (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), preordering it off of GoG instead will get you:
1. No DRM at all (?)
2. The ability to download it as many times you want, to any computer, like Steam
3. Potentially free DLC if they decide to charge on other services but make it free on GoG, maybe very unlikely?
4. You can run the game from Steam, and have your friends see what you are playing. There is no multiplayer that I know of, so you will not need Steam to let you join friends ingame.

Now, ordering it from Steam instead will get you:
1. Steam DRM, though most people don't have a problem with it
2. Steam achievements and cloud saves (achievements are fun, but I don't care too much about cloud saves since I'd rather back them up myself locally, and I only play on one computer). I guess keyboard etc. settings might also be saved, which is nice.
3. Automatic patching / upgrade? Maybe someone with experience can tell me how it happened with the first Witcher. Did GoG have a patch system setup? On Steam I think at some point the normal Witcher upgraded to the Director's Cut or whatever (i.e. nipple edition). How did GoG handle that?

If someone has any additional input, please feel free to weigh in, because I was planning on preordering from GoG instead. Plus that way the devs get more money as far as I know.

*edit* Sorry, I guess I skipped over the part where you said you want a physical edition. I guess you like that because of a paper manual and a box, and I can understand that in some sense. Also, I forgot to mention that the GoG preorder contains soundtrack etc. stuff, but Steam may as well. I forget all the preorder details, but I have some post saved with the info in it somewhere.

Exuro

Having all of your games tied to one account in a neat fashion is a plus, along with the in game timer. Steam cloud is a huge plus for me and achievements are more like icing. The only disadvantage I see is possibility of the game being censored while the GoG version will not. I'm sure a quick patch could be added to alleviate that issue though. Overall I'd rather it just be tied to my Steam account. Most retail DRM in my opinion sucks, so I'd rather it be Steamworks and it be exactly like all of my other games on Steam. I can understand getting the GoG version of the Steam version, it's just not know what retail will use.

If retail is just a disc check I still wouldn't get it just because I would rather have access to unlimited downloads that the digital version offer. Not many retail DRM schemes offer that. That's why I was hoping for Steamworks, as I would get that and get to tie it to Steam with its Steamworks exclusive features.

Blizzard

Banned
stuminus3 said:
The Witcher isn't on GOG.
o_O For some crazy reason I thought The Witcher and The Witcher 2 were made by the same company that does GOG, like the Valve/Steam/TF2 system.

*fake edit* Google seems to indicate that this is correct, but GOG came AFTER The Witcher came out. I don't quite understand why the original isn't on it but okay...

desu

Blizzard said:
I'm a big Steam fan generally, but just wondering...in this case why do you want the Steam version? Is it only for the Steam client download-anywhere option?

I guess its just preference? I got like 140+ games on Steam already and I don't really want to start collecting games on other services. No steamworks often means a lost sale from my side (I can't play all games anyway), because I will wait for it to go on sale on steam at some point later. I just like to have everything at one place, the download options, even though I dont care too much about achievements but its still nice that everything is tracked on a single account. Patches and so on are also convinient!

As for the witcher2, I will prolly let my GF gift me the steam version (as its rather cheap from dollar to euro) and still order a physical copy or maybe wait if the prices go down in the first 1-2 weeks (uk is so fast on this ...).

Joe Molotov

Blizzard said:
o_O For some crazy reason I thought The Witcher and The Witcher 2 were made by the same company that does GOG, like the Valve/Steam/TF2 system.

*fake edit* Google seems to indicate that this is correct, but GOG came AFTER The Witcher came out. I don't quite understand why the original isn't on it but okay...

Atari has the distrubtion rights to The Witcher, so it would be their call. For the Witcher 2, Atari is still doing the boxed release but CD Projekt kept the digital distribution rights (similar to what Valve does with their PC games with EA).

As much as I love Steam, there are times when I'm thankful of companies like GOG and of buying retail non-Steam games. For example, yesterday my internet connection was down all day, and as a result I couldn't play any of my games there.

For the Witcher 2, I want to support CD Projekt as much as I can by buying the GOG version. In one of the videos, one of the GOG guys and a producer said that if their non-DRM strategy with The Witcher 2 was successful, they would use it to convince more developers to release brand new games on GOG.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Lasthope106 said:
As much as I love Steam, there are times when I'm thankful of companies like GOG and of buying retail non-Steam games. For example, yesterday my internet connection was down all day, and as a result I couldn't play any of my games there.
What happened to Offline Mode? Is it not in your Steam version?

Sanic

AcridMeat said:
Don't suppose you have Portal eh?
That's all I have to trade. ;_;

Alternatively, is there anyone here who doesn't have Portal yet and wants to play it?
Pm sent about portal.

drizzle said:

Yeah I was about to ask the same thing. I'm in Florida and our internet got man-handled by these crazy thunder storms last week and I was still able to play everything I tried to play.

drizzle said:

It's unreliable as shit. I've been locked out several times due to a shitty inconsistent online connection in the past.

Unless you're lucky enough to know that you're gonna have an outage or you have Steam open you're pretty much SOL.

epmode

I always hear the horror stories about offline mode but it's worked every time my connection has dropped. Which, admittedly, isn't often. But it worked!

It also works fine if I pull out the ethernet cord.

epmode said:
I always hear the horror stories about offline mode but it's worked every time my connection has dropped. Which, admittedly, isn't often. But it worked!

It also works fine if I pull out the ethernet cord.

Try restarting your computer and then opening Steam with no connection.

If you leave your computer on all the time and never close Steam, then you'll probably never have a problem. But if you're the kind of crazy person that shuts of your computer or restarts it once in a while, then you're screwed.

MNC

Okay, I'm freaking out (a little.) How do you get the achievement "I spy" for defense grid? What's the reconnesaince system?

epmode

LocoMrPollock said:
Try restarting your computer and then opening Steam with no connection.
I just rebooted my computer without an ethernet cord. Steam loaded fine and I was able get into each game I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom