• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanic

LocoMrPollock said:
Try turning off multi-core rendering.

Thanks, i'll try that. I verified the game files and now it's downloading an update, I have no idea if they're related or not. My computer went to sleep part way through the download, so something may have been screwed up.

Sanic

Ok, the update fixed it.

I thought something was up when I initially started the game, since the valve video as well as the intro video were both in black and white.

Salsa

Oh yeah if anyone has extra copies of The wonderful end of the world and/or 1..2..3 Kick it! let me know and i might just buy them from you. Wouldnt mind owning that Potato hat.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What the hell is Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time?

I'm positive I didn't buy this game, on March 7th.

Joe Molotov

K.Jack said:
What the hell is Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time?

I'm positive I didn't buy this game, on March 7th.

Wrong.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26349032&postcount=3218
Dwayne said:
New Low Price on Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time

These guys are from Christchurch New Zealand, where there was recently a 6.3 earthquake that's demolished 1/4 of the CBD. So consider sending Stickmen Studios a little $$$ love to help them get back on their feet :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26350441&postcount=3224
K.Jack said:
Bought, just to support.

I think you probably charged it on this card.
ih90C.jpg

1-D_FTW

Heavy said:
This isn't Steam-related so I hope it's ok. Bully Scholarship Edition is $6.01 on Amazon (free shipping with Prime). The recent customer reviews say the 1.20 patch fixed a lot of the technical issues it had. Can anyone recommend it?
http://www.amazon.com/Bully-Scholar...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Bought during the Christmas sale for 3 something based on a couple recommendations from gaffers.

Recently installed it and played it to completion. Only other Rockstar game I've come close to completing was GTA IV (quit on the final anti-climax mission). If you can embrace your inner deviant, there's some good fun to be had.

I know that Relic switched from using Games For Windows Live to Steamworks with Dawn of War II: Retribution, I was just wondering if they retroactively added Steamworks support to Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising. The store page for both games still lists GFWL, but the drm listed always isn't up-to-date. I only ask because I noticed that if you view a specific friends stats for playing Retribution that it lists all of the Dawn of War games they own.

Lime

jaundicejuice said:
I know that Relic switched from using Games For Windows Live to Steamworks with Dawn of War II: Retribution, I was just wondering if they retroactively added Steamworks support to Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising. The store page for both games still lists GFWL, but the drm listed always isn't up-to-date. I only ask because I noticed that if you view a specific friends stats for playing Retribution that it lists all of the Dawn of War games they own.

Both Chaos Rising and vanilla DOW2 still use GFWL on my two tests right now. Although my installs are from before the release of Retribution, but I wouldn't count on them removing retro-actively :/

Thanks for checking for me. I don't think I'll let GFWL stop me from grabbing DoWII and Chaos Rising. I have been trying to find a physical release of DoWII Gold (which includes Chaos Rising along with vanilla) but I can't find a copy anywhere, guess I'll just grab it off of Steam.

bkw

Is Amnesia ever bundled with the Penumbras? Thinking of getting them all, so I don't know if I should jump on Amnesia now, or wait for bundle sales (if they're ever bundled together).

ArjanN

Lime said:
Both Chaos Rising and vanilla DOW2 still use GFWL on my two tests right now. Although my installs are from before the release of Retribution, but I wouldn't count on them removing retro-actively :/

Yeah, they'll never go back and change that. Way too much effort for very little gain.

They're worth buying if you just want to play the single player campaigns.
But with Retribution out I assume the Last Stand and Multiplayer in DoW2/CR is pretty much dead/dying.

On the plus side, Retribution is fucking great, I think the reviews underrated it because they take the multiplayer for granted, but there's really a huge amount of content there.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The benefit would be playable Multiplayer in a few years from now if Microsoft starts playing the "Shut down old servers!" game.

ArjanN

Drkirby said:
The benefit would be playable Multiplayer in a few years from now if Microsoft starts playing the "Shut down old servers!" game.

I meant the benefit to Relic.

And a few years? I'm kind of assuming the multiplayer community has already mostly moved over to Retribution, so who would you be playing against anyway?

Retribution has all the multiplayer of DoW2/CR and more.

I'm not too concerned about Games For Windows Live or multiplayer in Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising as I'm largely going to be purchasing those games for their single player campaigns. My GFWL friends list is a ghost town and I have no real interest in creating and maintaining another friend list in another service in parallel with Steam. It would just be a pain in the ass.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jaundicejuice said:
I'm not too concerned about Games For Windows Live or multiplayer in Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising as I'm largely going to be purchasing those games for their single player campaigns. My GFWL friends list is a ghost town and I have no real interest in creating and maintaining another friend list in another service in parallel with Steam. It would just be a pain in the ass.

I can tolerate GFWL just because I'm an ex-Xbot and it's kinda nice to see all my old Xbox friends and add points towards my old achievement score. Of course I'd always prefer Steamworks but I haven't grown to hate GFWL quite as much as my fellow PC gamers.

senahorse

pilonv1 said:
So I'm guessing we've got another RC for Australia here? Or at best a censored version of the Witcher 2

I'm guessing a price hike at this stage, considering it's Namco Bandai who are distributing it, apparently they are to blame for a few price hikes in our region.

ArjanN

LocoMrPollock said:
DOW 2 and Chaos Rising are both pretty active online.

Once Retribution goes on sale for $10 or less though, that will probably change.

Oh, there's probably still a bunch of cheapskates playing the original, but I'm sure all the high level players have aleady moved on though.

Retribution MP has the Imperial Guard, gets updated, uses Steam over GFWL, ect.

There's no reason to stick with the multiplayer in DoW2/CR unless you can't afford the new game, so that MP is definately doomed.

Nabs

Snuggler said:
I can tolerate GFWL just because I'm an ex-Xbot and it's kinda nice to see all my old Xbox friends and add points towards my old achievement score. Of course I'd always prefer Steamworks but I haven't grown to hate GFWL quite as much as my fellow PC gamers.
Yet. Give it time.

Ledsen

Nabs said:
Yet. Give it time.

I have nothing against GFWL since I play a lot of 360 as well, but if my Batman save gets corrupted (like it did on 360, that's why I bought the PC version but the bug seems to be there on the PC too) and my backup won't work thanks to some stupid GFWL quirk... heads will roll.

Is anyone following the Potato ARG?

Just started reading up about it.

Do you think it could be related to when Valve said they were going to give people something which is going to bridge Portal to Portal 2 before its release?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ashbash159 said:
Is anyone following the Potato ARG?

Just started reading up about it.

Do you think it could be related to when Valve said they were going to give people something which is going to bridge Portal to Portal 2 before its release?

Yeah, I said as much earlier in the thread. As it stands there are only a few links to the Half-Life/Portal universe. Seems the rabbit hole goes much deeper.

Cheech

Ledsen said:
I have nothing against GFWL since I play a lot of 360 as well, but if my Batman save gets corrupted (like it did on 360, that's why I bought the PC version but the bug seems to be there on the PC too) and my backup won't work thanks to some stupid GFWL quirk... heads will roll.

Some implementations of GfWL are just wack (Dead Rising 2, where the wireless 360 pad didn't even work). However, Bulletstorm was actually ok. It was just like playing a 360 game on PC, which is how it SHOULD work. I have no issues with further GfWL games if they work as smoothly as that did.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can someone recommend a high octane FPS like Crysis 2, but for half the price or so? I've played HL2 and Mirrors Edge.

Ermac said:
Can someone recommend a high octane FPS like Crysis 2, but for half the price or so? I've played HL2 and Mirrors Edge.

Played Borderlands yet? The GOTY version (all 4 DLC packs included) is $29.99 on Steam, or $19.99 for 360/PS3 on Amazon today only if you'd prefer one of those.

Fantastic shooter with a sorta Diablo flavor and 4 player co-op online, though the single player is perfectly enjoyable.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yay, Steam Guard decided to activate on its own, and this public computer won't accept the code they sent me. Oh well, I wasn't going to do anything that important on their site :/

Echoplx

I'm having an odd problem with Steam downloads atm, over the past week or two I've downloaded about 300GB of games and occasionally after Steam says they are finished downloading I verify the cache and Steam will start downloading more content, it varies from a few MB to a few GB, is this normal (like getting extra patches?) or is this just Steam screwing up?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sounds like a screw up, but it is hard to say where. It could be a problem with your hard drive, or maybe your internet connection. Do you use wireless by chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom