• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlomo

I started playing Darksiders yesterday but I'm having a strange issue. The game has a constant judder, almost like it was running at 30 fps. Fraps is showing 60 though, and it's the same on different resolutions, so it's probably not a performance issue. Has the game some sort of internal 30 fps lock or something?

My system: i5 750, HD5770, Win7 64.

Now that I think about it, Sega Allstar Racing had a similar issue, all other games look fine. I already tried different settings for VSync/Triple Buffering, but the judder stays the same. What could cause this, or is it normal for this game?

Shaneus

Quick question for PC-GAF (not really worthy of a thread): Running 60Hz on my monitor but enabling V-sync always locks the framerate down to 50fps. Any idea on how to stop this happening? It's frustrating the crap out of me :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shaneus said:
Quick question for PC-GAF (not really worthy of a thread): Running 60Hz on my monitor but enabling V-sync always locks the framerate down to 50fps. Any idea on how to stop this happening? It's frustrating the crap out of me :(
Trying using D3doverrider to force v-sync and triple buffering to see if that helps (forcing it externally from the game).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Schlomo said:
I started playing Darksiders yesterday but I'm having a strange issue. The game has a constant judder, almost like it was running at 30 fps. Fraps is showing 60 though, and it's the same on different resolutions, so it's probably not a performance issue. Has the game some sort of internal 30 fps lock or something?

Now that I think about it, Sega Allstar Racing had a similar issue, all other games look fine. I already tried different settings for VSync/Triple Buffering, but the judder stays the same. What could cause this, or is it normal for this game?
Try defragmenting your harddrive, the jittering might be from when it loads new areas as you move from area to area. Sounds like it, anyway.

Schlomo

Easy_D said:
Try defragmenting your harddrive, the jittering might be from when it loads new areas as you move from area to area. Sounds like it, anyway.

That's not it. I already defragmented the harddrive anyway. It's a constant thing and really looks like it's running with only 30 fps.

Stallion Free said:
So what I said was right, you do need a press account or someone with one to get access to the registry viewer.
Nope. The person who created it doesnt have a press account. The two have nothing to do with eachother.

Stallion Free said:
Trying using D3doverrider to force v-sync and triple buffering to see if that helps (forcing it externally from the game).
I felt like I had the same issue and even while D3doverrider was running. Seemed to go away when I enabled vsync in the game menu.

coopolon

Stallion Free said:
Does anyone here have experience modding Just Cause 2? Did it lock you out from getting the achievements while they were active?

I nodded the grappling cord extensively and still all got the achievements.

Edit: realized this was misleading. Meant I got all the achievements I should have, I didn't get 100 percent of the achievements because I am not a crazy person.

Xanathus

Googling "steam registry viewer" gets me a link to the tool as the top post. Just sayin.
edit: I haven't actually tried downloading it or whatever, I just felt that this line of discussion was kinda stupid when all it takes to solve it was a google search.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stallion Free said:
Then why don't you link to this magical program so everyone can take a look?
"I'll sell my inventions so everyone can be superheroes! Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super, no-one will be."

vazel

Banned
Xanathus said:
Googling "steam registry viewer" gets me a link to the tool as the top post. Just sayin.
edit: I haven't actually tried downloading it or whatever, I just felt that this line of discussion was kinda stupid when all it takes to solve it was a google search.
The top result led me to an app that lets me edit clientregistry.blob. Not what they're talking about here I think.
poppabk said:
"I'll sell my inventions so everyone can be superheroes! Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super, no-one will be."
Ha I wouldn't share either just so I can be more special.

Can anyone who played the Steam version of Doc Clock and The Toasted Sandwich of Time give me some impressions? It just came out on Mac and WiiWare...

MNC

I played it a real short bit during the pre-sale and I wasn't really fond of it.. Didn't help the language was in dutch...

Volcynika

He mooooooooooooooooooves soooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwwwww. And picking things up and such was kind of annoying. I haven't played it too much, for what it's worth, though.

Stallion Free said:
Then why don't you link to this magical program so everyone can take a look?
If someone wants to pm me let them. You remind me of a cranky old man who whenever people walk past his front yard he screams and chases them with his rake.

nexen

cooljeanius said:
Can anyone who played the Steam version of Doc Clock and The Toasted Sandwich of Time give me some impressions? It just came out on Mac and WiiWare...
I have it. The premise is clever but it is a little too unpolished to be fun. I don't care for the art or character design either. Overall I do not like it much.

LovingSteam said:
You remind me of a cranky old man who whenever people walk past his front yard he screams and chases them with his rake.
Surely he must be dead by now.

vocab

Schlomo said:

I had the same problem. It's the game, and randomly comes and go. The random pauses that happen in the same spot bother the shit out of me. It's just a lazy PC port.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh wait, I found it, is is the first entry but not, it is the 3rd part of the first one.

The three games in the Call of Duty Warchest have Entry for Mac content.

An Atari 80 in 1 collection shortly after NeverWinter Nights 2.

There is an entry called "DO NOT USE Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Advenutre French DO NOT USE", why they simply don't delete it I don't know.

A likely old entry to Devil May Cry 3 content, just before the Onimusha 3 entry.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It looks like the site that has it offers cracks and such.

GTA III also has an entry for Mac Content, but none of the other GTA games seem too. It is a bit crummy that it seems the content is there but they aren't offering it at the moment for what ever reason.

Found the old entry to FFVII and FFVIII mentioned before, they say they would be 1450MB and 2040MB respectively.

There are Entries to Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, and right after them Final Fantasy XIV. In fact, there is a valid EULA for Dungeon Siege 1 up: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/eula_39190

Notice how it says Square Enix though out, instead of Gas Powered Games too. No dates tied to it though.

Dungeon Siege 2 EULA: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/eula_39200

There is an Entry for Pacman. One for Empire Earth II and III (But I am sure only I care about that)

Sega Genesis pack 4 contain some pretty good games IMO. Alien Solder, Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Shining Force 1, Shining Force 2, Shining in the Darkness, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, and Wonder Boy 3. There are entires for other games too, like Toe Jam and Earl 1 and 2, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles (But no Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles), my guess is they will be sold for $5 each.

Actually, there are two SEGA Genesis Classics Pack 4 entires. "SEGA Genesis Classics Pack 4" and "Sega Genesis Classics 4 Pack", the second one has Sonic 2, 3, Toe jam, ect with it, but the first has some purchasing restrictions tied to it.

There is a Listing to a Digital Version of PC Gamer.

Thats about it.

Okay, so I'm having issues with Alpha Protocol and Chronicles of Riddick. Both crash on startup. :-(

Anyone have any ideas/fixes?

I've already updated drivers, looked for patches, etc.

vocab

The Blue Jihad said:
Okay, so I'm having issues with Alpha Protocol and Chronicles of Riddick. Both crash on startup. :-(

Anyone have any ideas/fixes?

I've already updated drivers, looked for patches, etc.

do you have the latest physx installed?

Joe Molotov

Drkirby said:
There are Entries to Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, and right after them Final Fantasy XIV. In fact, there is a valid EULA for Dungeon Siege 1 up: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/eula_39190

Notice how it says Square Enix though out, instead of Gas Powered Games too. No dates tied to it though.

Dungeon Siege 2 EULA: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/eula_39200

Square Enix bought the Dungeon Siege franchise from Gas Powered Games, I assume that means rights to the first two games too. I'm betting that DS1 & 2 are released as a tie-in with DS3 later this year.

Opiate

So I'm sure few people are inclined to analyze things in precisely this fashion, but I thought I'd add this to the discussion:

As of September 17, 2010 (i.e. four months ago), the peak concurrent users on Steam ever was ~2,745,000. Since the new year, the average daily peak is well over 3,000,000, and peaked yesterday at 3,470,000. In other words, Steam appears to have added ~400k-600k average daily users just in the last four months.

This could be caused by two things: 1) More people have signed up on Steam, or 2) The users who already exist are using it more frequently and more aggressively.

Obviously the answer is some combination of both factors. I will try to keep track of this data more closely in the future. It's just interesting to note that Steam seems to have grown in active base by almost 20% in the last four months alone.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So with user display preferences as a variable, it's pretty reasonable to assume that any game on the front page of the Steam store gets advertised to 2 million people a day? I'd say that easily counteracts the "wait for sale" effect.

Opiate

Dice said:
So with user display preferences as a variable, it's pretty reasonable to assume that any game on the front page of the Steam store gets advertised to 2 million people a day? I'd say that easily counteracts the "wait for sale" effect.

Keep in mind that what I quoted is only concurrent users. ~3.5 million concurrent users yesterday, for example.

Over the course of the day, that may mean 7 million users total. Or 10 million. It's impossible to say: all we know is that at one point, there were almost 3.5 million people online simultaneously. Keeping this in mind, I would guess the figure is larger than that, personally.

Fredescu

I was under the impression that they broke 3 million concurrent users during the 09/10 Steam sale but I could be wrong. Interesting stats though, I hope you do manage to track them. I've thought about doing that but never got around to it.

Opiate said:
Keep in mind that what I quoted is only concurrent users. ~3.5 million concurrent users yesterday, for example.

Over the course of the day, that may mean 7 million users total. Or 10 million. It's impossible to say: all we know is that at one point, there were almost 3.5 million people online simultaneously. Keeping this in mind, I would guess the figure is larger than that, personally.

According to the head of Tripwire in a pc gamer interview, the number of concurrent users is 1/10 of the unique users that log in to play the game. Extrapolating that statement to the entire user base of Steam put the number of unique users in the 35 million range. o_O

Opiate

Fredescu said:
I was under the impression that they broke 3 million concurrent users during the 09/10 Steam sale but I could be wrong. Interesting stats though, I hope you do manage to track them. I've thought about doing that but never got around to it.

Based on my data -- and keep in mind, all I am doing is logging in to Steam, checking the concurrent user graph, and writing down a number, which is not perfect science -- the first break of 3 million was September 26th, 2010.

I am absolutely sure, however, that the peak as of Sep. 12th 2010 was 2,745,000. That was confirmed by a Valve representative on their forums. I started tracking around that time, but my original data collection was spotty, at best. I have only made it a consistent, daily habit int he last 2 months.

Draft

What is a concurrent user, though?

Because, for example, my PC was on all day and logged into Steam, but I was nowhere near it. I imagine that's true for a lot of people. Steam is not like an Xbox that you're going to turn on and off as you use it.

Fredescu

Draft said:
Steam is not like an Xbox that you're going to turn on and off as you use it.
Given that the last peak was 3.4 million and the last couple of troughs have been 1.6million I'd say quite a lot of people treat their PCs that way. It says "Steam users logged in on top of the graph" so I'd say being online but not playing a game would count. These are at least people getting the Steam update popups.

Opiate

Draft said:
What is a concurrent user, though?

Because, for example, my PC was on all day and logged into Steam, but I was nowhere near it. I imagine that's true for a lot of people. Steam is not like an Xbox that you're going to turn on and off as you use it.

Your connection definitely counts. It is absolutely fair to say that "concurrent user" does not mean "logged in to steam and actively buying stuff right now!" It just means logged in to steam.

That was actually how I hit on my original 7 million estimate for daily usage: I would say that I am logged in to steam approximately half the time. I turn my computer off when I go to work (usually), and often when I sleep (but not always). Roughly half the time seems like a good estimate.

And while the math is more complicated than just multiplying 3.5 x 2, it's a good start. As I said, it's all just off the top of my head.

All we have, for sure, is a figure which tells us how many people are logged in at a given time.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Opiate said:

Right now, adding up the the top 100 games, 255,892 of 2,249,197 players are playing (11.3%). The only thing, should this be interpreted as good or bad? Does this mean Steam is moving more towards being a social platform, or that the numbers are "artificially" inflated by people running the client and never using it? I know on windows 7 with auto log in, if you didn't have anyone on your Friends list, the average consumer would likely never notice it was running.

Joe Molotov said:
Square Enix bought the Dungeon Siege franchise from Gas Powered Games, I assume that means rights to the first two games too. I'm betting that DS1 & 2 are released as a tie-in with DS3 later this year.

Hmmm. Hopefully they include one or both of the older games as a pre-order bonus when they start taking them. Is that too much to hope for? I figure they might give DS1 as a bonus but not 2, since new copies are rare and quite expensive (around $90 on Amazon, lol).

Either way, looking forward to them being on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom