• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
TheExodu5 said:
Left hand thumbs or right hand thumbs?

If right hand...then the PS2 or PS3 controller are great. Probably the best buttons out of any controller. If left hand, then I'd probably go with something like the Classic Controller Pro.

Speaking of which, I need to figure out how to get third party controllers working with the game. I really want to get my Super Famicom CC working with SMB.

wii_super_famicom.jpg

I use this and it works great

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-3nu3.html

Haven't tried SMB with it, but it works for emulators and Recettear.

aasoncott

TheExodu5 said:
Just plug it in through USB and use MotionJoy. The only pain is getting MotionJoy to work in the first place...

There are official drivers for the DS3 now. They were included in one of the official Sony SDKs, which means you can use your DS3 properly, signed, and without any of the middleware shenanigans.

TheExodu5

Banned
aasoncott said:
There are official drivers for the DS3 now. They were included in one of the official Sony SDKs, which means you can use your DS3 properly, signed, and without any of the middleware shenanigans.

Any idea where those drivers are at?

Sarcasm

aasoncott said:

Can you provide links?

Erudite

aasoncott said:
Link? I'd love to get rid of MotioninJoy if I could.

graywolf323

aasoncott said:

wait, what? really? where?

Blizzard

Banned
aasoncott said:
It's probably not kosher to link, since it was part of the SDK (version 3.41), and the SDK isn't supposed to be public. That said, it very much is public.
Is there a good reason that companies do this? If they have a driver that works great with Windows, why don't they want anyone to use it so people are forced to use fanmade drivers or pirate their SDK? Wouldn't they still sell the hardware? I guess maybe they're afraid that people would stop buying PS3's if they could use the controller on a PC, but uh...I think they're already doing that if there are freeware drivers. *shrug*

I wonder if the same sort of thing was true with say, the 360 controller chatpad on PC, and Microsoft has just been sitting on some driver for years. I still haven't gotten a wireless controller to try to modify/write driver code for it too.

snack

aasoncott said:
It's probably not kosher to link, since it was part of the SDK (version 3.41), and the SDK isn't supposed to be public. That said, it very much is public.
Really? Wow, I've been living under a rock.

Gigglepoo said:
Is there any talk of Steam offering more classic titles in the future? I've been poking around for older games recently (System Shock, Doom, Giants, Planescape, Deus Ex, and No One Lives Forever) and was bummed to see that Steam doesn't have any of them, and some (like No One Lives) aren't on any digital service.

GOG is, it seems, pretty actively pursuing the big Holy Grails of old-game DD rights (The Whole EA Back Catalog, The Whole LucasArts Back Catalog, All The Sierra And Infocom Adventures, and What's Left At Eidos) which would cover most of that. NOLF will never be on any digital service ever because of the whole rights clusterfuck around it.

Also, Steam totally has Deus Ex, wtf?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
charlequin said:
NOLF will never be on any digital service ever because of the whole rights clusterfuck around it.
As mentioned, it's in licensed hell, but it's not an extremely expensive or rare title either. It had a bunch of Euro reprints and you can probably get each version for 10-15$ on Ebay.

Minsc

Gold Member
charlequin said:
GOG is, it seems, pretty actively pursuing the big Holy Grails of old-game DD rights (The Whole EA Back Catalog, The Whole LucasArts Back Catalog, All The Sierra And Infocom Adventures, and What's Left At Eidos) which would cover most of that. NOLF will never be on any digital service ever because of the whole rights clusterfuck around it.

Also, Steam totally has Deus Ex, wtf?

Yea, as much as I love Steam, I have to hand it to GOG for taking a very active interest in bringing older classic games that are not available on any digital service to everyone. For that alone I'll support them as best I can. Every month usually 4-5 previously unavailable games are released on GOG, and a couple times a year they sign deals with publishers to bring more games from the crypts out.

It'd be great if Steam actively pursued deals with publishers for older games, and to some extent they have a few that GOG is missing, like the Lucas Arts ones. But I wonder how much of that was LA looking to make money or was it Steam trying to push LA to get their back catalog up? I'd guess more on LA's end, not that I'm complaining, but GOG's livelihood is getting these older games released, so they're always trying to persuade older companies to give them the rights to publish the games again. They even offer to work on the code/compatibility in some cases, to make them run again, so the company has to do little work other than sign a piece of paper, which unfortunately is too much for a lot of people still.

1-D_FTW

kswiston said:
Ya, mostly right thumb for me.

For the dual shock 3, I just need a generic $5-10 blutooth adapter?

Same here. I've actually shelved the game until I get a different controller. Would consider the Razer 360 controller, but I don't want to waste the money if the Hydra is coming out anytime in the next 6 months.

Ok guys I have some freebies to give out.

It's be awesome if I could get a spare copy of something in return but it's not necessary.

I've got:

Amnesia - GONE to Nabs
Audiosurf - GONE to meatpuppet
Defense Grid - GONE to ConvenientBox
Killing Floor - GONE to wsippel
Portal
Super Meat Boy - GONE to Acidote

pm me if you want anything, I'll update this post as they get given out.

Only one per person btw.

Acidote

I would ask for Super Meat Boy if I had something to give you in return, and since I don't, I'll pass. Let someone else enjoy it =)

It's a very nice thing seeing people giving away some games from time to time.

Peff

I'd like to try Amnesia but I don't think I have anything either. I do have a telltalegames.com Puzzle Agent freebie but it's not Steam compatible.

cbox

davonaytor said:

It's be awesome if I could get a spare copy of something in return but it's not necessary.

I've got:

Amnesia - GONE to Nabs
Audiosurf
Defense Grid
Portal
Super Meat Boy

Only one per person btw.

I'll take defense grid if nobody took it yet :)

Nabs

Thanks davonator
1-D_FTW said:
Same here. I've actually shelved the game until I get a different controller. Would consider the Razer 360 controller, but I don't want to waste the money if the Hydra is coming out anytime in the next 6 months.
I played SMB with everything I could possibly imagine. Arcade Stick, 3rd party SNES Pad, 360 pad, some random controller I used to use for SF... they all seemed to handle fine, but I think the 360 pad is my favorite for this game.

1-D_FTW

Nabs said:
I played SMB with everything I could possibly imagine. Arcade Stick, 3rd party SNES Pad, 360 pad, some random controller I used to use for SF... they all seemed to handle fine, but I think the 360 pad is my favorite for this game.

It's the little pebbles for buttons. I press so hard (and frequently) during this game that my thumb nail digs into the flesh above my nail. After an hour, my thumb was killing me and I was getting real close to having it cut skin and draw blood.

Hixx

1-D_FTW said:
It's the little pebbles for buttons. I press so hard (and frequently) during this game that my thumb nail digs into the flesh above my nail. After an hour, my thumb was killing me and I was getting real close to having it cut skin and draw blood.

How short do you cut your nails??

davonaytor said:

I've got:

Amnesia - GONE to Nabs
Audiosurf - GONE to meatpuppet
Defense Grid - GONE to ConvenientBox
Portal
Super Meat Boy - GONE to Acidote

Only one per person btw.

Cheers! Totally should have read the whole way down the list to Portal though. But I suppose I should really get the full Valve backcatalogue and catch up on it through that! :D

1-D_FTW said:

I had the same problem, so I let my thumbnail grow out. It's about 2 inches long now and doesn't dig into my flesh anymore. Next i'm going to grow out my pinky nail to use as a screwdriver/coke spoon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mr. Spinnington said:
steam wanting to update my ati drivers... but no word on the internets about a new release
Oh snap, Steam now with new ATI drivers exclusive for one month before the rest of the internet gets them.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Mr. Spinnington said:
steam wanting to update my ati drivers... but no word on the internets about a new release
Mine are up to date, so you just don't have the March release yet.

1-D_FTW

HixxSAFC said:
How short do you cut your nails??

As short as I can without cutting into the flesh. I can cut my toe nails a lot shorter than my fingers, but my fingernails are still short enough that there's flesh above the nail.

gotee12

Steam updated my drivers to 11.3 yesterday as well. Can't remember what version I was on. I got excited when Steam notified me of the update. I was hoping it was the 11.4 drivers that's supposed to give a little bump in performance.

Blizzard

Banned
Are the 11.3/11.4 drivers the ones that someone was saying broke all sorts of particle effects? I'm still holding out for some magically stable drivers. Even the old ATI ones I'm using still occasionally lock up/bluescreen my computer every week or so, even when it's just sitting there doing nothing. I could have sworn I turned off the Flash hardware acceleration too so that shouldn't be it.

It would also be nice if a new ATI driver version came out that didn't make King's Bounty flicker like crazy.

Relax.MX

2k sales...for 4 days...(hope some Borderlands DLC sales!!)

Today?

Mafia II: Digital Deluxe Edition

-75% $39.99 $10.00

Mafia II

-75% $29.99 $7.50 USD

Mafia

-75% $9.99 $2.49 USD

And Mafia II DLC

stuminus3

Nekrono said:
So what's the GAF consensus on Mafia II? How good of a game is it? Is it worth it?
It's a good game. Worth it at 10 bucks for sure. The press didn't like it because it wasn't GTAIV. Which ironically was the same complaint people had about the first game (because it wasn't like GTA3). It's not meant to be an "open world" game and it's infinitely more enjoyable when one stops trying to play it like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom