• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Hmmm. Hopefully they include one or both of the older games as a pre-order bonus when they start taking them. Is that too much to hope for? I figure they might give DS1 as a bonus but not 2, since new copies are rare and quite expensive (around $90 on Amazon, lol).

Either way, looking forward to them being on Steam.

Yeah, I enjoyed the little bit of part 2 that I was able to play. Never have even seen part 1 anywhere.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Hmmm. Hopefully they include one or both of the older games as a pre-order bonus when they start taking them. Is that too much to hope for? I figure they might give DS1 as a bonus but not 2, since new copies are rare and quite expensive (around $90 on Amazon, lol).

Either way, looking forward to them being on Steam.
Wasn't DS1 an MGS published game though?

Fredescu

firehawk12 said:
Wasn't DS1 an MGS published game though?
Wikipedia says "In March 2006, Take-Two Interactive acquired all publishing rights to Dungeon Siege" so I take that to mean they could put DS1 out there if they wanted to. A pre order bonus would be sweet.

dLMN8R

Lasthope106 said:
According to the head of Tripwire in a pc gamer interview, the number of concurrent users is 1/10 of the unique users that log in to play the game. Extrapolating that statement to the entire user base of Steam put the number of unique users in the 35 million range. o_O
That is off a bit. Tripwire was talking about concurrent players of a specific game, not Steam as a whole.

Meaning that if you saw Killing Floor with 5000 average concurrent users throughout the day, that would normally correlate to about 50,000 unique people that played it throughout the day according to their data.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dice said:
the la-li-lu-le-lo?
The Dungeon Siege games would be infinitely better if Kojima did them, surely! Can't be any worse than the Uwe Boll movie!

But, well, I guess it'd be neat to see the games again if SE owns them as well. Never did play DS2.

I'm really loving Mass Effect, replaying it for the first time on PC so I can have a save state to carry to ME2 but holy fuck is the interface horrible.

Managing your inventory is painful, you can only select one item to break down at a time. I've been trapped in the gel breakdown dialogue because I've surpassed my inventory limit a few times now. Rather than read and carefully select what I want to break down--because it takes so damned long to individually select and break down items--I just spam enter until the option to access your equipment screen appears. You can't select a group of items all at once and break them down, just individual selections, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, fuck, enter, enter, enterenterenterenterenterenterenterenter. These games are made on PC's, they know how a PC should work, what kind of options for controls and navigation of menus you should have, how could they have made it like this!? And if you use short cuts to access the skill or equipment sub-screen, you can't tab or change over to one or the other. Am I wrong here, am I missing the shortcut?

Interface quibbles aside it's been an enjoyable experience replaying this game. I definitely like Mass Effect more now than what I recall when I initially played it. The cast of supporting characters definitely aren't as one dimensional as I remember them being. Like KotOR, there was really only one character I latched on to and it was Mass Effect's equivalent of HK-47, Wrex. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time talking to Liara, Ashley, Garrus and Tali the first time through in the down times. I'm stillof the opinion that Kaiden has all the personality of a jar of mayonnaise.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Limited inventories should only exist in survival horror games*, anyway. What a needless chore for an RPG. If you must, at least do it like White Knight Story.

*Even then, they always give you a rocket launcher and you're like "shit, this takes up 1/3 of my inventory" so you put it away, but you know you'll need it for that unkillable boss monster that will show up later, yet you don't know when, so you just have to wait until you inevitably die by it (defeating the purpose of the SURVIVAL part of the genre) then backtrack from your last save to the nearest storage to go get it and head back.
why do I hate games so much? I'm turning into yahtzee

Probably not the best place to ask this, since it's an announcement thread, but is there any good Metroid style games (2d like Shadow Complex) on Steam? I've got an itch that needs scratching. :lol

Dizzy-4U

Mr Sandman said:
Probably not the best place to ask this, since it's an announcement thread, but is there any good Metroid style games (2d like Shadow Complex) on Steam? I've got an itch that needs scratching. :lol

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24420/

Edit: Catshade!!!!!!!!!!
HI7ML.gif

Dice said:
Limited inventories should only exist in survival horror games*, anyway. What a needless chore for an RPG. If you must, at least do it like White Knight Story.

*Even then, they always give you a rocket launcher and you're like "shit, this takes up 1/3 of my inventory" so you put it away, but you know you'll need it for that unkillable boss monster that will show up later, yet you don't know when, so you just have to wait until you inevitably die by it (defeating the purpose of the SURVIVAL part of the genre) then backtrack from your last save to the nearest storage to go get it and head back.
why do I hate games so much? I'm turning into yahtzee
Except you can totally beat that boss with just you regular weapons but anways here you go

Minsc

Gold Member
Opiate said:
So I'm sure few people are inclined to analyze things in precisely this fashion, but I thought I'd add this to the discussion:

As of September 17, 2010 (i.e. four months ago), the peak concurrent users on Steam ever was ~2,745,000. Since the new year, the average daily peak is well over 3,000,000, and peaked yesterday at 3,470,000. In other words, Steam appears to have added ~400k-600k average daily users just in the last four months.

This could be caused by two things: 1) More people have signed up on Steam, or 2) The users who already exist are using it more frequently and more aggressively.

Obviously the answer is some combination of both factors. I will try to keep track of this data more closely in the future. It's just interesting to note that Steam seems to have grown in active base by almost 20% in the last four months alone.

Steam's userbase has always been growing at an incredible rate. I'm sure there are many factors to thank for that (holiday sales, slowdown of generations/hardware requirements, laptops getting more powerful, excellent reputation/selection, OS X platform expansion - soon to include some of the PS3 userbase), but as of October 2010, they did claim new account growth of 178%, hitting 30 million active accounts. I wonder if we'll get a 6-month update next month on the stats (or maybe we just need to wait for when they hit 40 or 50 million accounts).

Keeping stats on the concurrent users is definitely interesting, but it doesn't seem as impressive as the other numbers they throw around in their press releases.

MoFuzz

Lostconfused said:
Something something SeCuRom something something DRM something something fuck Ubisoft

Edit: At least I assume that's what he meant.
Except that none of Capcom's games have funky DRM outside of Dark Void Zero (figure that one out, ha!)

BC:R is fantastic and is worth your monies if you don't already own it. Best HD remake of them all IMO.

Yeef

mikespit1200 said:
I wanted to like this game, but for the life of me I could not figure out what I was supposed to do.
Supposed to do? It's a Metroidvania game. You explore until you find a new dungeon/temple that gives you a new power that allows you to explore further.

At the beginning game after getting to Nailya's house you
head to the right and find the bind spell, then head back left and find the energy spell. From there the world really opens up, so you have lots of options.

jaundicejuice said:
I'm really loving Mass Effect, replaying it for the first time on PC so I can have a save state to carry to ME2 but holy fuck is the interface horrible.

Managing your inventory is painful, you can only select one item to break down at a time. I've been trapped in the gel breakdown dialogue because I've surpassed my inventory limit a few times now. Rather than read and carefully select what I want to break down--because it takes so damned long to individually select and break down items--I just spam enter until the option to access your equipment screen appears. You can't select a group of items all at once and break them down, just individual selections, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, individual selection, break down, yes, fuck, enter, enter, enterenterenterenterenterenterenterenter. These games are made on PC's, they know how a PC should work, what kind of options for controls and navigation of menus you should have, how could they have made it like this!? And if you use short cuts to access the skill or equipment sub-screen, you can't tab or change over to one or the other. Am I wrong here, am I missing the shortcut?

Interface quibbles aside it's been an enjoyable experience replaying this game. I definitely like Mass Effect more now than what I recall when I initially played it. The cast of supporting characters definitely aren't as one dimensional as I remember them being. Like KotOR, there was really only one character I latched on to and it was Mass Effect's equivalent of HK-47, Wrex. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time talking to Liara, Ashley, Garrus and Tali the first time through in the down times. I'm stillof the opinion that Kaiden has all the personality of a jar of mayonnaise.

Yeah its a great game. The best way to deal with the not-so-good inventory system is to equip your team with the best current items, after each mission (use their lockers in the bottom floor of the Normandy) and sell absolutely everything else. If you do this after each mission, you shouldn't run into the limit. At later levels, the best loot drops at ridiculously high rates so don't be afraid to sell or omni-gel high level items. Early on it doesn't seem like a big deal but at some level every enemy seems to drop 2-3 items and the inventory interface just isn't set up to handle that amount of loot.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lostconfused said:
You mean 3/4 of your entire regular weapons cache, not leaving enough for other monsters, assuming you're even carrying all that around with you... which you aren't, because you need room for pretty things like health packs and random junk they want you to carry around for puzzles, or in newer games junk you don't actually need for any reason except to sell at the next upgrade station... and this is all without mentioning how you don't even want to use that rocket launcher anyway, because no enemy up until that boss is even slightly worthy of it. I mean, maybe there are a couple bosses that are, but they're defeated in some scripted manner.

The fact that everything I'm saying can still be applied to several games from different developers is pathetic.

Sorry about my rant, I'm still having terrible flashbacks from my console gaming days...

Vorador

Banned
The Blue Jihad said:
Okay, so I'm having issues with Alpha Protocol and Chronicles of Riddick. Both crash on startup. :-(

Anyone have any ideas/fixes?

I've already updated drivers, looked for patches, etc.

Try to update DirectX 9

Mr Sandman said:
This reminds me of a thread I was going to create, but basically, I've been wondering why the majority of Metroid style games are 2D. After playing Metroid Prime Trilogy, I've been wanting another 3D Metroid style game, but most recent Metroid style games I'm aware of (Aquaria, Shadow Complex, Cave Story, etc) have been 2D...

cooljeanius said:
This reminds me of a thread I was going to create, but basically, I've been wondering why the majority of Metroid style games are 2D. After playing Metroid Prime Trilogy, I've been wanting another 3D Metroid style game, but most recent Metroid style games I'm aware of (Aquaria, Shadow Complex, Cave Story, etc) have been 2D...
I fully agree with you. MPT is one of my favorite (if not all time favorite) series. Batman Arkham Asylum is pretty close, though it's more like MP3 (clear objectives set on the map) than the real explore your ass of until you figure it out style of the first two (well, on your first time through at least). Actually, now that I think about it, it's pretty crazy how similar Batman AA and MP3 are structure-wise. It would be cool if Arkham City had Metroid mode that turned off all hints, objectives, etc encouraging exploration. Though it would still be more linear than MP.

/ramble :lol

kamspy said:
Riddick is OpenGL anyways. Intel or AMD? Where's you UAC slider at?

OpenGL may prove a thorn in my side, then. On Intel quad i5 750 2.6GHz, quad core. UAC slider is 2 or 3, I believe. Video card is nVidia GTS 450.

So, does Steam sometimes mess up your gameplay time stats?

Because it says I have played every single Gold Src game I have for 100+ hours, when I've never even touched a few of them (like Ricochet).

It says I've played TFC for like 300 hours, and apparently I have 100 hours on HL. I've played TFC a few times, but not nerely for 300 hours (that's half my TF2 time, a game I play every single day for 3 years!)

I've only had these games on my Steam account 3 months, there's just not enough physical time for me to have accumulated that much time on the half dozen games.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Steam says I have over 300 hours in DA:O. I was wondering why people message me about how much I play it, and didn't understand until I checked by profile page.
Drkirby said:
I
Sega Genesis pack 4 contain some pretty good games IMO. Alien Solder, Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Shining Force 1, Shining Force 2, Shining in the Darkness, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, and Wonder Boy 3. There are entires for other games too, like Toe Jam and Earl 1 and 2, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles (But no Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles), my guess is they will be sold for $5 each.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck I would buy that for $60. It's like the Dream Super Pack.

Release that shit!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Is Steam fucking up and going offline for the friends list constantly for anyone else? :|

I use it as an IM thing for a couple buddies, so this is really obnoxious. Keep getting disconnected.

graywolf323

Drkirby said:
It looks like the site that has it offers cracks and such.

GTA III also has an entry for Mac Content, but none of the other GTA games seem too. It is a bit crummy that it seems the content is there but they aren't offering it at the moment for what ever reason.

Found the old entry to FFVII and FFVIII mentioned before, they say they would be 1450MB and 2040MB respectively.

There are Entries to Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, and right after them Final Fantasy XIV. In fact, there is a valid EULA for Dungeon Siege 1 up: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/eula_39190

Notice how it says Square Enix though out, instead of Gas Powered Games too. No dates tied to it though.

Dungeon Siege 2 EULA: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/eula_39200

There is an Entry for Pacman. One for Empire Earth II and III (But I am sure only I care about that)

Sega Genesis pack 4 contain some pretty good games IMO. Alien Solder, Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Shining Force 1, Shining Force 2, Shining in the Darkness, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, and Wonder Boy 3. There are entires for other games too, like Toe Jam and Earl 1 and 2, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles (But no Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles), my guess is they will be sold for $5 each.

Actually, there are two SEGA Genesis Classics Pack 4 entires. "SEGA Genesis Classics Pack 4" and "Sega Genesis Classics 4 Pack", the second one has Sonic 2, 3, Toe jam, ect with it, but the first has some purchasing restrictions tied to it.

There is a Listing to a Digital Version of PC Gamer.

Thats about it.

okay I fail at life because I can't figure out how to use this magical registry viewer to see those things :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom