• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

Good game, worth playing for the production values I guess. ..so long as you like driving in a GTA-style open world without any of the cool open world distractions. And there is a LOT of driving.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nekrono said:
So what's the GAF consensus on Mafia II? How good of a game is it? Is it worth it?

It's a great game. I finished it over the weekend and was completely satisfied with it.

Yeah, and don't play it like GTA. Play it in a linear fashion and enjoy it for what it is.

epmode said:
Good game, worth playing for the production values I guess. ..so long as you like driving in a GTA-style open world without any of the cool open world distractions. And there is a LOT of driving.

The missions and story are lightyears ahead of GTA IV, which makes it quite enjoyable.

I thought 2K had more than 46 titles on Steam. I guess the next 3 sales will probably be Bioshock (both I and II), Borderlands and Civ (probably just 5). Didn't realize this until now but apparently for the GTA series on Steam, Rockstar is listed as the publisher and not 2K.

Gully State said:
I thought 2K had more than 46 titles on Steam. I guess the next 3 sales will probably be Bioshock (both I and II), Borderlands and Civ (probably just 5). Didn't realize this until now but apparently for the GTA series on Steam, Rockstar is listed as the publisher and not 2K.
Rockstar has always been a publisher for all their own games. You might have Take-Two and 2K confused (Take-Two owns both 2K and Rockstar, but both are seperate publishing labels).

Will jump on BioShock if it goes on sale. Thinking about getting Mafia + II. How is the first one holding up today, I remember enjoying it way back, does it feel very dated now?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Were either of the Mafia II DLC any good? I still need to go back and finish the main game someday...

LegoDad

Forkball said:
2K Games sale this week. 75% off all Mafia stuff. Finally, because it's been so long since Mafia II was on sale.

I want NBA 2k11 please..... please.. please.... please steam gods!

Clydefrog said:
I think I'll pick up Mafia II after work today. I loved the first Mafia.

What does "digital deluxe edition" mean?
It's the game, with some related extras:

Special Offer
- Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man” suits, including a vintage tux.
- Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.
- Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.
- Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

Stallion Free said:
Not as good as Crysis 1, but better than Crysis 2.

;P <3

LOL! True dat!

Nekrono
It sucks but it's good!
(Today, 11:05 AM)

j/k <3

P.S. I enjoyed the demo, does the rest of the game bets better?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
caliblue15 said:
I want NBA 2k11 please..... please.. please.... please steam gods!
Oh yeah, totally. That game is on my must-have list, but the Steam sales mill held me back so far. I played it on PS3 a bunch of times with a buddy and had a blast.

Salsa

Guess i'll be getting Bioshock 2 in the upcoming days.

Id like to doubledip on Mafia II but its too soon for a replay, must resistttt.

mojiimbo

Anyone play the first Mafia recently and have an opinion on how well it holds up? I remember the PC version being highly regarded back in the day but I never got around to it. Thanks.

Peterthumpa

So, just bought Portal 2 and got the first one for free.
As I already have it... gonna give as a gift for the first one who asks =)

Salsa

mojiimbo said:
Anyone play the first Mafia recently and have an opinion on how well it holds up? I remember the PC version being highly regarded back in the day but I never got around to it. Thanks.

It's better than the second one in some ways. I think it holds up alright, i replayed it a couple of years ago and had no problem with it.

mafia-1.jpg

low-G

Nekrono said:
So what's the GAF consensus on Mafia II? How good of a game is it? Is it worth it?

A little too repetitive for me. Lots of obvious dudes spawning in and waves of guys to shoot. Pretty basic 3rd person shooter. I didn't really like it.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm playing through Mafia II right now. I like the characters and the personality of the game alot, and the shooting is good but nothing special.

Only real complaint is that I can't stand the constant driving around. You gotta drive everywhere to get to every mission and it feels like the driving takes longer than the missions. It's a chore, I keep thinking there is an "auto-travel" on the minimap that I'm missing or something. Maybe there is...

Overall though it has kept me playing. If the constant barrage of driving wasn't such a wet blanket, I would love it more.

Turfster

mojiimbo said:
It looks good, but my god you have to drive slowly (which is really irritating at the start
when you have to drive your taxi all over new york
).
Also, there's a mission pretty much at the start that's a total pain in the ass (
the one where you get beat up and have to limp away to safety through back alleys with guys shooting at you
). I pretty much stopped in disgust right after that, because it'd taken me hours to get the stupid 'simple' mission done.

nyong

Banned
I am very happy that Mafia II is on sale again, seeing as how I missed it the first time around. Is there any particular reason to take the digital deluxe version over the vanilla game? It looks like all you're missing is some art assets, right?

kamspy

Joe's Adventure is a good DLC for Mafia 2 (for this price anyways). He's a great character and playing his own little chapter is pretty cool.

Joe >>> Vito

Mafia II is a linear, narrative driven action game set in an open world. I loved the game from start to finish, easily one of my favorite games from 2010. I bought all of the DLC in the last sale and started another play-through on Hard but got distracted by newer, unplayed games.

From everything I've read, Joe's Adventure is worthwhile whereas Jimmy's Vendetta isn't. But given that you can buy all of the DLC for less than the cost of Joe's Adventure at full price, I just grabbed all of it last time.

Mafia II is easily worth 10$, easily.

Sanic

Haven't played Mafia II but I already own it for the 360, so I'm thinking I won't pick it up again.

However I've never played the first Mafia so I think I'll buy it. Hopefully it holds up well.

Guess it depends on how much you want the DE extras:
Special Offer
- Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man” suits, including a vintage tux.
- Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.
- Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.
- Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

Exuro said:
Joe's Adventure is the only good DLC right? I heard Jimmy's was pretty bad.
Joe's Adventure is pretty good . . . it is like the main campaign but with many cut scenes missing. I highly recommend Joe's Adventure (and Mafia 2 in general). Jimmy's isn't so hot . . . seems kinda bare-bones

Gigglepoo

charlequin said:
NOLF will never be on any digital service ever because of the whole rights clusterfuck around it.

What's the clusterfuck? I was shocked/saddened when I hunted the interwebs a few weeks ago and couldn't find any way to play these games. I hear they're fantastic, just let me give you money so I can play them!

MRORANGE

TheExodu5 said:
Speaking of which, I need to figure out how to get third party controllers working with the game. I really want to get my Super Famicom CC working with SMB.

wii_super_famicom.jpg

I thought the SNES CC didn't have a usb port and need to be connected to a a wii controller to function? or does it actually have a usb cable?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Whoa Mafia II for $10? Siiick and I'm so broke.

Well, I'm kinda glad because my backlog is too big.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, I played some "The Wonderful End of the World", and over all, the game is fun if really short.

The easiest way to describe the game play is that it is a Katamari Clone. You go around stages, pick up stuff, and get bigger. The game only has 3 stages, but the main problem is none of them are over 5 minutes long, and most are only 2 or 3 minutes in length, making the game really short. It also doesn't keep track of just what object you pick up, so you can't even try to collect one of everything. The stages are small, and often just end with black, plus getting though tight spaces can be a bit problematic. There is no way to adjust resolution, it onyl has 4:3, you can't change the controls, and I could not get my 360 controller to work with it, despite having a gamepad option.

But overall, the game was pretty enjoyable. 3 of the stages had really nice art styles and themes in them, and it was decently enjoyable to replay the stages to get max rank.

But, it only took 97 minutes to beat the game, and get every achievement. So mainly, I would recommended you play it if you pick it up in some other pack, or the game is dirt cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom