• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

It's $30 if you get someone from the UK to gift it. Doo it.

If I had to deal with Aus pricing, I would just give up gaming.

edit: and it looks like Steam corrected the pricing error. Hopefully someone was able to grab it for cheap.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to try and get past the greed. Retail copy will be fixed to Steam anyway, so the best situation is I leave it for several months until it hits the bargain bins at $40-50.

Nabs

speedpop said:
I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to try and get past the greed. Retail copy will be fixed to Steam anyway, so the best situation is I leave it for several months until it hits the bargain bins at $40-50.

Yeah, it won't take long for it to drop.

vocab

Dead Space 2 up for preorder for a steal price of $59.99

Dead space 1 is 75% for the weekend. Not sure if it is the true weekend deal. Maybe I should finally buy it.

vocab said:
Dead Space 2 up for preorder for a steal price of $59.99

Dead space 1 is 75% for the weekend. Not sure if it is the true weekend deal. Maybe I should finally buy it.
For me, it says Dead Space 1 is 66% off if you preorder Dead Space 2.

graywolf323

Schmattakopf said:

66% off for weekend deal 75% off if you pre-purchase Dead Space 2 (probably have to do the pre-purchase first for the 75% off to show up)

edit: no tried adding both to cart and if you buy them together it drops Dead Space 1 to 75% off

JADS

Schmattakopf said:
Weird:
untitled8qlx.png

vocab

Schmattakopf said:

Ya, it's definitely worded like that. You can still add it to your cart for 66% off. I think 75% is only if you order deadspace 2?

I saw my brother play Dead Space on 360 over winter vacation and it looked amazing, so much that I regretted not buying the game when it went on sale.

scitek

I picked up Riddick last week and just tried it for the first time today. Is it using OpenGL? D3DOverrider doesn't force vsync, and the game runs like shit in the first scene outside. I'm getting like 30FPS with disappearing shadows. And AA doesn't work.

Felix Lighter said:
Oh, I was under the impression that forcing MSAA with RadeonPro didn't work for Dead Space. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

MLAA. I still get 60FPS with it enabled and it makes a nice difference.

Maybe I will pick it up. I have the PS3 version but I'd love to see it in all its 1080p 60fps glory. However, I told myself I'd stop rebuying games I already own on other platforms. I have too many games to play as it is.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
evlcookie said:
It's definitely charge back related. Went through my bank statements now that i'm awake.

So i guess i'm fucked as fucked can be?

Thanks bank!
It sounds like the worst case scenario, you have genuine fraud mixed in with legitimate transactions and so have legitimate chargebacks.
Good Luck.

Am I going mad? I'm sure I saw Shogun 2 for £19.99 earlier on Steam? I tried to preorder it at the time but it kept throwing an error on the checkout page. Now I've come back and it's £29.99...

Harry_Tequila said:
Am I going mad? I'm sure I saw Shogun 2 for £19.99 earlier on Steam? I tried to preorder it at the time but it kept throwing an error on the checkout page. Now I've come back and it's £29.99...
Yeah, it was a pricing error.

Burekma

MoFuzz said:
$60 as the new standard price for retail releases is my balls.
And on top of that, the game is plagued with this solidshield bullshit.

I already lost track of my Crysis: Warhead activations so EA can go fuck itself. They won't see any of my money.

Nabs

Burekma said:

I already lost track of my Crysis: Warhead activations so EA can go fuck itself. They won't see any of my money.
The nightmare returns

Burekma said:

Is there a source for this?

And if you're gonna respond "read the bottom of the steam page" don't bother responding, the bottom of a lot of steam pages for EA games say there's some sort of DRM, when there often isn't. Lazy C+P etc.

But yeah, I feel your pain on crysis warhead, I hate having that game in my steam list because everytime I format I've first got to go "ohh, I'm on my last warhead activation so I must make sure to first deactivate it, which is a ten minute process"

This is going to be the most painful not purchasing of a game in protest of $59.99 price points yet. Luckily, EA is quick to drop prices.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does RadeonPro do everything that D3DOverrider does (forcing vsync and triple buffering)?

MSAA works on Dead Space using RadeonPro? Anyone know if it works on Two Worlds 2?

Nabs

RadeonPro is like CCC on Steroids. Use both programs together.

e: just remember to create a profile for Darksiders in RP. Click Tweaks > Manage Custom Profiles. Game title: Darksiders, Executable: DarksidersPC.exe and save it as AA Compatibility. From there, you can force it to any game you'd like. Games like Deadspace, Sonic Racing and a few others can benefit from it.

Burekma

TouchMyBox said:
Is there a source for this?

And if you're gonna respond "read the bottom of the steam page" don't bother responding, the bottom of a lot of steam pages for EA games say there's some sort of DRM, when there often isn't. Lazy C+P etc.
Well, I remember that Shank game on Steam having solidshield (EA forced it on them) which they fortunately later removed.

But yeah, I definitely hope you're right, I'm just preparing myself for the worst. And EA's reputation with DRM isn't really that great. Even on Steam.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Nabs said:
e: just remember to create a profile for Darksiders in RP. Click Tweaks > Manage Custom Profiles. Game title: Darksiders, Executable: DarksidersPC.exe and save it as AA Compatibility. From there, you can force it to any game you'd like. Games like Deadspace, Sonic Racing and a few others can benefit from it.

I'm a bit confused by this... so creating a Darksiders profile allows for other games to use AA? How/why does that work exactly? (Sorry for going a bit OT in the Steam topic)

MoFuzz

mclaren777 said:
Is there any service/site/program that will notify you when specified games go on sale?
For Steam you mean? If you add items to your wishlist, you can track easily what's on sale.

epmode

It would be so nice if Valve would just disallow any 3rd party DRM since it does absolutely nothing for a Steam release. But whatever, I'm not buying a $60 PC game that isn't from Blizzard so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Is it possible to make steam read games for 2 different HDs? my Main HD is 80gigs my storage drive is 500, or should reinstall steam to the 500gig drive and install all my games on that drive?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If you just got the 500GB Drive, the easiest thing is to simply take the steam folder and drag it over to the new drive.

Fredescu

Nemesis121 said:
Is it possible to make steam read games for 2 different HDs? my Main HD is 80gigs my storage drive is 500, or should reinstall steam to the 500gig drive and install all my games on that drive?
If you have Vista on Win7 you can use mklink to put Steam stuff on two separate drives. Or get Steam Mover to do it for you: http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

In your case you might be better off putting it all on the 500gb drive though, rather than leaving it on the 80GB drive and constantly making links.

legend166

epmode said:
It would be so nice if Valve would just disallow any 3rd party DRM since it does absolutely nothing for a Steam release. But whatever, I'm not buying a $60 PC game that isn't from Blizzard so I guess it doesn't really matter.

There's three things Valve could do that would make Steam the perfect service:

- Disallow 3rd party DRM
- Disallow regional pricing
- Get some support that is actually worth a damn

Kritz

Banned
legend166 said:

I would gladly throw Evl into the deepest pit of fire if it would allow this to happen.

Unfortunately since most of Australia is currently underwater, I guess I'll have to wish Evl luck in fixing his bank's retarded decisions.

MoFuzz

legend166 said:

- Disallow 3rd party DRM
- Get some support that is actually worth a damn
Also:

- Add Steam Cloud support for every single game ever released
- Allow better download management (ability to throttle speeds, download queues, etc.)
- Beef up performance of the Steam client itself.

Dwayne

Does anyone have a counter-strike source to gift for $5ish? we play each day at lunch, and my buddy needs to get the game. Happy to paypal cash over. Cheers.

Fredescu

legend166 said:

- Disallow 3rd party DRM
Impulse tried both and no one would give them any games.

Nabs

FlyinJ said:
I'm a bit confused by this... so creating a Darksiders profile allows for other games to use AA? How/why does that work exactly? (Sorry for going a bit OT in the Steam topic)
I guess they share similar rendering techniques? I don't know much about it.

Shaneus

MoFuzz said:
Also:

- Add Steam Cloud support for every single game ever released
- Allow better download management (ability to throttle speeds, download queues, etc.)
- Beef up performance of the Steam client itself.
One more: Game controller support for the client.

legend166

Fredescu said:
Impulse tried both and no one would give them any games.

I know, they were pie in the sky wishes.

The support one needs to happen though. Simply saying "Charge back? BAN. Good luck getting your account back, sucker!" (well not really, but you catch my drift) is ridiculous. You should get an email like this:

"We have received a charge back from your credit card number. Your account has been flagged and an investigation is under way to determine the cause for this. If it is determined to be a deliberate charge back, your account will be permanently disabled. A customer service representative will contact you shortly. If you do not respond to our inquiries within two weeks your account will be banned."

Having people investigate this stuff will cost them more money, but it's got to happen. The punishment is too severe otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom