• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

BobsRevenge said:
Is Steam fucking up and going offline for the friends list constantly for anyone else? :|

I use it as an IM thing for a couple buddies, so this is really obnoxious. Keep getting disconnected.

Its steam friends. Going back to its origins. Want to play chess? fuck you, your steam friends are down /hacked server side by some guy.

Goon Boon

Banned
vocab said:
Its steam friends. Going back to its origins. Want to play chess? fuck you, your steam friends are down /hacked server side by some guy.
I remember steam chess, I sent them an email about it like 2 years ago and they never replied :(

Felix Lighter said:
Yeah its a great game. The best way to deal with the not-so-good inventory system is to equip your team with the best current items, after each mission (use their lockers in the bottom floor of the Normandy) and sell absolutely everything else. If you do this after each mission, you shouldn't run into the limit. At later levels, the best loot drops at ridiculously high rates so don't be afraid to sell or omni-gel high level items. Early on it doesn't seem like a big deal but at some level every enemy seems to drop 2-3 items and the inventory interface just isn't set up to handle that amount of loot.

I was on the end-game on
Ilos
when I posted that. I'll keep that in mind when I replay Mass Effect for a Renegade run. Right now my focus is playing ME2 for the first time, and continuing my Paragon run with pre-fab dude Shep.

On the subject of Mass Effect 2. Kind of disappointed that Bioware went with the whole space bucks/points thing for purchasing DLC and, worse, that they force you to buy specific lump sums rather than allowing to purchase only the content you want. It's so lame that they try to disassociate the cost of the content with this abstraction. Be upfront about the cost and let me buy the content directly. If I'm not interested in purchasing skins or weapon packs, I shouldn't be forced to buy lump sums and have an odd number of space bucks lying around unused.

Are the three mission dlc's at least worth buying?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
jaundicejuice said:
Are the three mission dlc's at least worth buying?

Lair of the Shadowbroker is the best piece of content in all of ME2 DLC or otherwise. Overlord isn't too bad. Kasumi is a kinda cool mission but it's terribly short.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Interesting new Indie game up on Steam:

A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda

I tried out the demo and the game looks nice, but appears to be locked at 47 fps. Still it's better than being locked at 30 fps with tearing amirite?? Anyways, the controls feel pretty tight on the 360 pad and the buttons prompts/tutorials change appropriately. I'll probably pick it up down the road when I have finished up most of my Christmas games. Here are a couple shots I took:

ares2011-01-1914-17-08wion.jpg

ares2011-01-1914-17-539htu.jpg

ares2011-01-1914-19-08giho.jpg

nexen

Steam has stopped giving me achievements. I dont know why but I should have earned some in Braid and Darksiders but nothing has registered since the 17th.

Anyone else notice this or am I all alone here?

Volcynika

nexen said:
Steam has stopped giving me achievements. I dont know why but I should have earned some in Braid and Darksiders but nothing has registered since the 17th.

Darksiders' achievements are kinda broken, but not sure about Braid...I've only gotten a couple lately, nothing stood out to me.

Sinatar said:
That actually looks pretty slick, kind of a modern Abuse or Turrican.

Hopefully all that silly camera panning was just video editing and not actually in the game.

Try the demo out, it's great fun.

Control wise, you can choose to play it like Abuse with mouse and key board or Contra or Smash TV if you use a pad. The game really channels Mega Man with a touch of Contra, although the demo was certainly easier than any level from any game in those series.

Unfortunately, some branching areas make it seem like it will be more like metroid at first, but, in fact, it appears to be very linear.

Diomedeskun said:
Unfortunately, some branching areas make it seem like it will be more like metroid at first, but, in fact, it appears to be very linear.
A shame, need more metroidvanias in my life.

scitek

This is such a crap place to ask this, but is there a way to get AA working with ATI cards in Bioshock? The profile in RadeonPro doesn't work for me, and I can't force it.

EDIT: One thing I can do is use MLAA, but that breaks Vsync in DX10, so I have to play in DX9, though it's better than nothing.

Shaneus

Sinatar said:
That actually looks pretty slick, kind of a modern Abuse or Turrican.

Hopefully all that silly camera panning was just video editing and not actually in the game.
That's EXACTLY the game that came to mind when I saw the screens! I wonder if GOG will ever release it... even a remade upscaled version for Steam would kick so much arse.

I remember the animation was batshit insane.

vocab

SSAO performance is fixed in Riddick from drivers due on the 25th. 11.1a is leaked now. Some people are reporting that the fixes also affect other cards aside from 6xxx. There's also big tessellation gain due to an optimization setting kinda like AI.

Ares is pretty fun. It's definitely more Megaman than Metroid, though.

The upgrade system is pretty cool in that you just collect 3 different types of resources and then each upgrade costs a certain amount of each, similar to an RTS. And you can replay levels to gain more resources, or actually the enemies respawn as well, so you can farm pretty easy.

The graphics look a little like high-res stickers layered on each other, but that's alright I guess, as the game is just fun to play. It plays great with the 360 controller and has built-in button assets.

The sound effects and music are pretty good.

There's no real story to speak of, and the first episode appears to have 5 levels that can be replayed.

All in all, I'd say it's worth it, if you enjoy these types of games.

Just played the demo myself, it's fun and I like it.

Only 5 levels? the demo stage was rather quick to finish even after "exploring" so I hope the later levels are longer.

Joe Molotov

nexen said:

Check to make sure you're logged in to Steam Community.

kamspy

The Blue Jihad said:
OpenGL may prove a thorn in my side, then. On Intel quad i5 750 2.6GHz, quad core. UAC slider is 2 or 3, I believe. Video card is nVidia GTS 450.

Run that UAC slider all the way down and try to boot the games. OpenGL should be fine on a 450. In my experience, ATi has the OpenGL problems.

ArjanN

Joe Molotov said:
Check to make sure you're logged in to Steam Community.

This, in the past I've had te re-do achievements in several games just because the Steam Community happened to be down at the moment I got them.

And Darksiders achievements are buggy even if you are logged in. I got them all eventually, but it required a lot of saving and loading and doing things two or three times.

Shaneus

Abuse was (and still is) awesome. I used to go back for some Abuse even when I thought I couldn't take any more Abuse!

<3 Abuse.

Volcynika

Beat Ares.

Kind of neat game, some weird areas that can get you killed fairly easily, and some bosses can be kind of annoying to deal with. Music was my style so I'm ok with it.

There were a couple of cutscenes with still images, and they had TERRIBLE..I mean TERRIBLE grammar and spelling. I know I'm no ace in the English class, but yeesh. It's like they made a monkey do it. "Human have no instect!" and other really weird oddities.

But it wasn't that bad for 9 bucks. Might go back to it to try the new stuff I got in earlier levels. It has its own in-game achievements, no Steam-chievements though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i have woken up to my account being disabled. There goes all my games.

What can i do? I'm guessing nothing at all. I like how there's no email stating why it's been shut down.

I love how i can't actually log in to issue a steam ticket. I guess i have to create a new ID.

What a fucking joke of a system and company.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
evlcookie said:

What can i do? I'm guessing nothing at all. I like how there's no email stating why it's been shut down.

I love how i can't actually log in to issue a steam ticket. I guess i have to create a new ID.

When my bro had an issue on his Steam account and we filed a support ticket, it didn't ask for the Steam log in, it had us create a support account. The account was specifically for support help. The reason this was needed was because his account had been stolen. If their support system had relied on your Steam info, how would they help those who had their accounts stolen?

Joe Molotov

evlcookie said:

Steam Support requires a seperate login from your Steam account. So yeah, you'll have to create a new login.

evlcookie said:

How do you know your account wasn't jacked and the email address switched?

You have to create a support account for exactly the reason Stallion mentions.

graywolf323

evlcookie said:

Steam Support is a separate account for this reason

steam support is a completely separate login, just make one and contact them about your account, im sure they can give you help and answers. Since it seems like you were banned it could be a billing problem, changed your cards lately?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
evlcookie said:

Hopefully you have better luck than I did. My account was disabled and it took over 1 year for them to give it back to me. Valve can do whatever the hell they want while ignoring you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
In case you didn't figure it out from like the last 5 posts, I'll restate that there is a very good reason for you needing to create a new account on the support page lol.

Once they have responded, SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) is to create a thread about the issue and filling it with your rage.

God I miss Joseph Merrick.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thanks guys. It's 4am so i guess i didn't know about the new account for a ticket thing.

I'm guessing it was due to a charge back which i didn't issue.

My CC got skimmed on the 17th of dec and i noticed 2 days after christmas. During that time i would have purchased shank and darksiders (maybe something else too) along with someone else using my card to suck $5500 from me. I killed the card when i noticed and filled out fraud forms to try and get my money back. Sounds like they did a charge back on valve purchases along with items i actually requested.

Damn bank and their fuckwist for a fraud team.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For a few seconds I thought you meant Shogo 2.

I was very happy.

For a few seconds.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Darklord said:
$89.99 USD

Go die, Sega.

What the . . . ? I understand that Australia gets the shaft on retail boxed goods, but in digital distro, too? Must cost Sega a ton to ship those bits and bytes digitally to AUS. /eyeroll

Mrbob

ARES demo is pretty damn fun. I might pick it up. Game play is a bit simple but I like the upgradable aspect.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Darklord said:
$89.99 USD

Go die, Sega.
Yeah this makes me want to puke and hit a puppy. Was looking so forward to it but fuck you Sega. I'm going to wait till it hits a sale - even if I have to wait 2 years for it.

anachronous_one said:
What the . . . ? I understand that Australia gets the shaft on retail boxed goods, but in digital distro, too? Must cost Sega a ton to ship those bits and bytes digitally to AUS. /eyeroll
The only companies that do it are Sega, Activision, and EA. Take2 does it occasionally depending on the release. It makes me fucking sick. Pretty sure THQ might do it as well. When they're confronted over it, the usual PR spins it stating that retail charges that amount so it is justifiable to make the game that price via Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom