• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snuggler said:
This is probably US-only, but Magicka is $5 on Amazon Digital and Civ 5 is $24.

here's the thing: both can be registered on Steam

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Downloads/b/ref=sa_menu_dgs_gam5?ie=UTF8&node=979455011

re: Magicka and Steam, it's not officially listed but someone a page or two pack said it works

Glorious. THANK YOU. Earlier I asked someone to go in for a 4 pack because I missed the sale. I had $4.50 left in my Amazon account and was able to add it to my Steam account for $1.04 out of pocket =D

Raggy

Banned
Is there a way to say when game X hits below Y$/€/£ notify me on Steam?

That would surely be a win/win for Valve and customers.

Wark

LastWindow said:
It looks like the third Runaway game, A Twist of Fate, is finally coming to Steam in a week along with The Next Big Thing. For those who don't know, they're point-and-click adventure games.

I've e-mailed the publisher of the series so many times with no replies but it looks like they've been paying attention.

I really liked the first two games. It's good to hear that Twist of Fate is coming to Steam, but I think I still wanna pick up the retail copy of the game.

I haven't really read up on the Next Big Thing though. It looks interesting.

Salsa

LiquidMetal14 said:
No but if you let that stop you then God help you :p

I already owned and played through the entire Boderlands campaign + Ned and Mad Moxxi DLC. Double-dipped on Steam (willing to play the whole thing again) since i want to play General Knoxx and the Claptrap DLC and it wont work with a non-steam copy. Plus, achievements, gametime tracked, easier to meet up with friends, etc

I really do take in count if a game is Steamworks when its cheap, at this point in time, i want all my digital copies to be on steam. I have 250+hours on a BC2 copy in GamersGate and if that goes 5 bucks or below, im doubledipping on Steam :p (as long as i can log in with the same user).

BTW, if i start this new steam copy of Borderlands and log in with my old Gamespy account, can i get my old Mordecai back ? im guessing not..

Spwn

Raggy said:
Is there a way to say when game X hits below Y$/€/£ notify me on Steam?

That would surely be a win/win for Valve and customers.

No that wouldn't because then people wouldn't be checking the front page every day like maniacs to see what game's have been discounted. And sometimes, when they check the page out, they might pick something else and Valve wins.

Billen

Banned
SalsaShark said:
there's already a two-pack and a Portal 2 + Potato Sack pack

both save you 5 bucks from Portal 2's price.

Completely missed that one on Steam when searching for Portal 2, actually, and could only see it on the portal page. :D

benjipwns

Banned
SalsaShark said:
BTW, if i start this new steam copy of Borderlands and log in with my old Gamespy account, can i get my old Mordecai back ? im guessing not..
Do you still have the save?

Both Steam and disc copies save in the same location, so it'll be there if you still have the save. I bought in on Steam during the holiday sale (or summer or whenever it was) with the earlier DLC and it was all still there.

leroidys

keeblerdrow said:
Why didn't you stop playing at 30 hours? Or 60? or 90? Surely you could've had at least a well enough formed opinion to walk away from it by then? I understand 150 hours lends some authority to your opinion, but it also makes one wonder if it's not worth $30, why is it worth 150 hours?

Because it is moderately fun and was new? I don't buy a lot of games, it was all I had to play for a couple months. I never said OMG DONT BUY THE GAME ITS SHIT. I said "it might be worth $30 I guess, but its not the best game"

Wark said:
I really liked the first two games. It's good to hear that Twist of Fate is coming to Steam, but I think I still wanna pick up the retail copy of the game.

I haven't really read up on the Next Big Thing though. It looks interesting.

I found Runaway 3 to be not as good as the first two, but it at least wraps up the story which is good considering the way 2 ended. And of course it figures they finally put it on Steam a couple months after I give up hope of that happening and buy it on Adventureshop instead.

There's a Next Big Thing demo up on their official site. It's certainly got an interesting dynamic, with two main characters who apparently hate each other and the girl seeming at least slightly mentally unstable.

If anyones interested in getting into the Runaway games, I'd be willing to buy The Next Big Thing and gift them the bonus copies of Runaway 1 & 2 for significantly less than what they'd cost normally (interesting trades considered).

Raggy

Banned
Spwn said:
No that wouldn't because then people wouldn't be checking the front page every day like maniacs to see what game's have been discounted. And sometimes, when they check the page out, they might pick something else and Valve wins.

Of course they will.

Now you check your wish list to see if your games have dropped to a comfortable level, then you check front page.

All I'm asking is a check on my wish list to see if its dropped enough for me.

I'm thinking i'm gonna go ahead and wait for the SCHD Trilogy on PS3. I already have Conviction on 360 and while higher res/vsync would be nice, I still rather have Pandora tommorow/Full controller support + UI with all the other SC games ...oh and trophies

Salsa

benjipwns said:
Do you still have the save?

no ;_;

the sad part is that if i cant get my old Mordecai back im gonna play through the whole game as Mordecai again. I really have no interest in the other classes, im not playing something that doesnt specialize in sniping D:

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, GameSpy doesn't have cloud saves.

Mordecai might actually be the worst class. And that was who I beat the game with first. He doesn't really specialize in sniping all that much, you can snipe just as well with everyone, even Brick.

Of course I'm someone who is a good sniper so I always keep a sniper rifle, and then close to finish off people.

Lilith is more or less god mode.

Salsa

benjipwns said:
Lilith is more or less god mode.

That's actually the only other character that i might go with.

The game had difficulty options right ? might as well go with hard this time.

benjipwns

Banned
I don't think it does, you can increase the co-op difficulty, iirc, but nothing in single player.

It's mostly about your level, doing something two or three levels above you is just brutal.

Salsa

benjipwns said:
I don't think it does, you can increase the co-op difficulty, iirc, but nothing in single player.

It's mostly about your level, doing something two or three levels above you is just brutal.

I remember the post-game DLC was fairly easy and me and my friend were really overpowered.

But yeah, Brick and Roland are uninteresting to me, so i might just go with Lilith. After thinking about it, it would be foolish to go with the same class when i already took my old Mordecai to level 45-50. I should mix up the second playthrough a bit.

leroidys said:
Because it is moderately fun and was new? I don't buy a lot of games, it was all I had to play for a couple months. I never said OMG DONT BUY THE GAME ITS SHIT. I said "it might be worth $30 I guess, but its not the best game"
The reason you put 150 hours into it is because it's a playable Civilization game.

150 hours of Civ = accidentally starting a new game a week ago.

If you guys are going to play Borderlands coop, I've got a Brick I've recently started to roll with. I started off with Mordecai but had too many problems with the boss fights. Sniping is all well and good when you can strike from a distance and retreat if things get too hot, but it was a pain in the ass to fight bosses alone in single player with Mordecai in those tiny arenas. With Brick I just rage out and beat the bosses to death with my fists, it's god damned awesome.

benjipwns

Banned
The problem with Mordecai is that you can't really snipe through the early game. The encounters are all too close so keeping a sniper rifle in the second slot is actually a detriment in many respects. Unless you really take an effort to setup the encounters you wind up better with a shotgun as your primary weapon or something.

As the game opens up and you gain in level though he becomes much more effective. He still never really adds more than the other classes though. You can more or less mold every class to your playstyle anyway.

mxgt

Banned
I'm having some really odd performance issues with Borderlands.

I'm using 270.51 beta drivers and the game ran just fine for the 2 hours or so I played it yesterday after downloading.

So I go to play it this morning and the game is literally at like 2 frames per second on the menus and in game. Utterly unplayable. So the first thing I try is restoring default settings from the advanced config tool I'm trying. Nothing. I reboot. Nothing.

So I roll back to 266.58 release drivers and the game works fine. Cool. So then I clear the drivers and do a fresh install of 270.51 and the game is unplayable again.

Clearly it's a driver issue but the game worked fine on 270.51 for a while so I'm pretty confused by this.

Edit: maybe I should've posted this in the Borderlands thread. Oh well.

LovingSteam said:
Glorious. THANK YOU. Earlier I asked someone to go in for a 4 pack because I missed the sale. I had $4.50 left in my Amazon account and was able to add it to my Steam account for $1.04 out of pocket =D

WTF man? That avatar is not work safe.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LocoMrPollock said:
WTF man? That avatar is not work safe.
I honestly don't care nor am I offended about things like that but it's a little on the edgy side. Can see how that would be not safe for work or around kids. Nothing against the guy.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I honestly don't care nor am I offended about things like that but it's a little on the edgy side. Nothing against the guy.

Well, yeah, I got nothing against him either, or his avatar, but it's not worksafe and against the TOS. And I'd rather not have to explain why there's a small picture of a near naked man on my screen.

LiquidMetal14

LocoMrPollock said:
Well, yeah, I got nothing against him either, or his avatar, but it's not worksafe and against the TOS. And I'd rather not have to explain why there's a small picture of a near naked man on my screen.
The best advice if the mods don't think anything about it is just to avoid his posts and scroll past them quick.

And is our weekend deal up?

Sanic

LiquidMetal14 said:
The best advice if the mods don't think anything about it is just to avoid his posts and scroll past them quick.

And is our weekend deal up?

Yep, yesterday. It's the Splinter Cell collection.

LiquidMetal14

Pandoracell said:
Yep, yesterday. It's the Splinter Cell collection.
Damn, I thought it was a little too much for it to be a really good deal. Thanks for the followup.

D2D wins this round as they have been doing some really good markdowns on their sales.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Bought the Potato Pack, but I already owned a couple of the games, so I have a couple of codes I'd like to trade (or give away if no one has anything they're willing to trade):

Cogs
Amnesia

Haven't done this before so I apologize if there is a Steam trading topic or I'm not following etiquette or anything. I suppose if anyone has something they're willing to trade for either of the above, send me a PM.

If you can't or are unwilling to trade, but want a gift, send me a PM too. I'll gift them if I don't get any trade offers.

Relax.MX

Bully: Scholarship Edition 75% $3.74

Max Payne Bundle 75% $3.74

Max Payne 2 75% $2.49

Max Payne 75% $2.49

I had all on PS2, but man...maybe i buy Bully is a GREAT game..Steam!!

Salsa

Get Bully people, it's awesome, i might just doubledip.

Asuming of course you already played through both Max Paynes like any rational person would do.

LiquidMetal14

Relax.MX said:
Bully: Scholarship Edition 75% $3.74

Max Payne Bundle 75% $3.74

Max Payne 2 75% $2.49

Max Payne 75% $2.49

I had all on PS2, but man...maybe i buy Bully is a GREAT game..Steam!!
2 Max Payne games or Bully, which should I get? I have only enough for 1 of them.

Played MP1 but never beat it. Never played 2 or Bully.

Relax.MX

LiquidMetal14 said:
2 Max Payne games or Bully, which should I get? I have only enough for 1 of them.

Played MP1 but never beat it. Never played 2 or Bully.

Go for Bully...GREEEEAT game...is funny, excellent music, i want my Bully 2!!!

PD-relative Off Topic: (I saw Max Payne 1 and 2 like a dollar in Gamestop for PS2 a month ago)

Salsa

shintoki said:
So, we'll have 75% off GTA classic, followed by GTA4.

Probably the new GTA IV Complete as well, good timing.

I always skipped the Max Payne and GTA classic games on Steam since i played them so damn much back then, they're making the price really hard to say no to though, i just know i'll probably never touch these :p

edit: Maybe GTA IV Complete is only new in my region ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom