• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Lyphen said:
It definitely started off as nothing but a dumbing down of the series without any kind of meaningful use of its new additions, like single unit tiles and empire happiness. But then, three months after release the lead design left for Stardock, and the patches have been very comprehensive. The new mechanics put in place actually work and have punishments. The AI's been improving at a pretty rapid pace, and there should be another sizeable patch coming soon. If it were in the same place as the demo, with turn lag and freezing, and easy exploitation of the mechanics, sure. But that's fixed.

Well, I redact my comment since I only played the demo code. Thanks for clarification. I hate to come off a troll, but that was my true impression of the Civ5 demo.

leroidys

keeblerdrow said:
Now read that again.

Right, so I'm gonna put it up a third time.

I know you're trying to be funny but time spent on a game in no way equals enjoyment. I've also read 1200 page books that I hated every second of. I just like to form fully informed opinions :) And I didn't say the game was garbage or anything, I"m just saying its not worth $30.

Mrbob

Splinter Cell pack is tempting. I didn't even know about it till I checked this thread. Had to do a search on Steam to find it.

Sober

Vyer said:
Wait, so there's a bad Civ game?

Was still considering even at 30, but....
Depends who you listen to, the hardcore/insane contingent or everyone else. I played Civ 4 BTS maybe a few months before Civ 5 came out, so I never got super hardcore into it. I haven't played with the recent patches but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you take a look at steam, it's in the top 10 of most played pretty much every day since it's been out.

An-Det

2San said:
So anyone know how to get the original splinter cell to work with a wired 360 controller. :S

I tried the wired 360 controller with Chaos Theory and it only sort of worked (main problem that I remember is that it wouldnt stop walking), so I too would like to know how to get it working properly with these.

garath

Oh I see. Splinter cell is the weekend deal. Might be on sale individually as well.

$64.95 Package price:
-$38.97 Weekend Deal ends 4/18/11 at 10am PST:
$25.98 Cost to you:
$38.97 You save

I very much want Splinter Cell conviction to play co-op with my friend. Never thought about the other titles. Too much backlog anyways.

leroidys said:
I know you're trying to be funny but time spent on a game in no way equals enjoyment. I've also read 1200 page books that I hated every second of. I just like to form fully informed opinions :) And I didn't say the game was garbage or anything, I"m just saying its not worth $30.

Why didn't you stop playing at 30 hours? Or 60? or 90? Surely you could've had at least a well enough formed opinion to walk away from it by then? I understand 150 hours lends some authority to your opinion, but it also makes one wonder if it's not worth $30, why is it worth 150 hours?

darthbob

MDSLKTR said:
So happy I didn't buy conviction during the last christmas sale. Why no pandora tomorrow tough?

Technical issues, mainly. As the base game was developed for the Xbox and then ported over. From what I can recall, there were graphical issues with shadows on pre-Geforce 6 series cards.

Shambles

keeblerdrow said:
Why didn't you stop playing at 30 hours? Or 60? or 90? Surely you could've had at least a well enough formed opinion to walk away from it by then? I understand 150 hours lends some authority to your opinion, but it also makes one wonder if it's not worth $30, why is it worth 150 hours?

150 hours on civilization is on the low end of getting a 'good feel for the game'.

Lothars

Atomski said:
I prefer Civ4 so much more. I wish Civ5 would have just been a visual update but the ai and some little things are just to annoying in Civ5. I hear it has been patched but I haven't bothered to reinstall.

I think Civ5 is a fantastic game that's only getting better, I don't understand all the hate it's getting from the CIV4 crowd.

I love Civ4 as well but there's no contest if I had to pick one it would be Civ 5.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm not sure how much weight you should be giving the press in regards to civ 5. Civ games are massive and there's a pretty big gap in skill levels, to the point where I'm not sure someone doing the best they can to get a sense of the game in a week or so to write a review can give it a proper shake.

The overall reaction from the community, the people who are guaranteed to have spent the hours learning the game, has been pretty negative. I, too, consider it a pretty big downgrade from 4 and I don't know if I'll ever play it again over 4. If you want to read a review from someone intimately familiar with the franchise (and who even helped design 4- although I suppose that might make him less objective) check out Sulla's review here:

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

It's not completely up to date as he basically gave up on the game after playing through the first major content patch and it's a pretty scathing review, but it does a good job of explaining why this installment is so much worse and goes much more into depth on the mechanics and balance of the game than any professional review.

Joe Molotov

AgentOtaku said:
They dropped it for AssCreedBro ...pretty sure it's still there for AC2/SC:Conviction.

They changed it from forcing you to have a constant internet connection, to doing a single check every time you boot it up.

Ifrit

Nabs said:
header_586x192.jpg

Splinter Cell | Double Agent | Chaos Theory | Conviction | Insurgency Pack - $25.98 (You save: $38.97)

Why isn't Pandora Tomorrow in there

in before "because it sucks"

it doesn't btw

Joe Molotov said:
They changed it from forcing you to have a constant internet connection, to doing a single check every time you boot it up.

Which, while not perfect, is much better. Baby steps Ubisoft, baby steps.

Also, something in the install of Splinter Cell just caused my AV to wig out.

PowerRegScheduler is a product registration system used by some legitimate software programs. It collects demographic data for vendors who use PowerRegScheduler as a product registration reminder. PowerRegScheduler collects data such as your name, address, e-mail, place of purchase, product serial number, etc. This data is transmitted to PowerRegScheduler servers and is then made available to the manufacturer of the purchased product.

Ifrit said:
Why isn't Pandora Tomorrow in there

in before "because it sucks"

it doesn't btw

Posted on this very page...

darthbob said:
Technical issues, mainly. As the base game was developed for the Xbox and then ported over. From what I can recall, there were graphical issues with shadows on pre-Geforce 6 series cards.

desu

PowerRegScheduler is a product registration system used by some legitimate software programs. It collects demographic data for vendors who use PowerRegScheduler as a product registration reminder. PowerRegScheduler collects data such as your name, address, e-mail, place of purchase, product serial number, etc. This data is transmitted to PowerRegScheduler servers and is then made available to the manufacturer of the purchased product.

Eh what the heck is that!?

This together with the ubidrm ... I guess I will pass on Splinter Cell even though I was really interested in the pack.

Sort of disappointed with that Splinter Cell pack. I'd pick up maybe Chaos Theory if it was $5 or less, and though I wouldn't say it's necessarily a bad deal, it's too high to get me to bite.

Instro

Is there a problem with the store right now? Tts not letting me buy the Civ 5 DLC. This just keeps coming up when I go to purchase:

"An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please contact Steam Support."

Echoplx

desu said:

This together with the ubidrm ... I guess I will pass on Splinter Cell even though I was really interested in the pack.

It's a program that gets your name, address, e-mail, place of purchase, product serial number and then sends it to Ubisoft.

I don't see the problem? It's basically the same as signing up for an account.

Instro said:
Is there a problem with the store right now? Tts not letting me buy the Civ 5 DLC. This just keeps coming up when I go to purchase:

That happened to me the other day. Try purchasing it from the steam web browser store instead? Or try restarting Steam?

If you don't have luck I can forward you the email Steam sent me about the problem (I didn't much read it, the problem fixed itself when I rebooted steam I think).

desu said:

I simply let my AV delete the file and was able to boot into the game and get to the main menu without any issues. The file that my AV was complaining about was being added in the support folder, I think it was for registering the game with Ubisoft's website back in the day. I haven't tried to play the game yet, went right into the options to see if there's any widescreen support because the game boots up defaulted to 1024x768/4:3.

One .ini edit I've stumbled across...

Go to your game's .ini file in the Splinter Cell "system" folder. Look for these values:

FullscreenViewportX=
FullscreenViewportY=

Enter your resolution there.

Then, open the user.ini file, and look for the values:
DesiredFOV=
DefaultFOV=
to fix your field of view. I use 112 for 1680x1050 resolution.

...I can't implement because I can't find those values.

EditRedux: From the Steam forums...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1095273

The resolution AND FOV settings are in SplinterCellUser.ini

The file in this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\splinter cell\system

You can change:

[Engine.PlayerController]
DesiredFOV=75.0
DefaultFOV=75.0

AND

[Engine.EPCGameOptions]
Resolution=1366x768

Instro

opticalmace said:
That happened to me the other day. Try purchasing it from the steam web browser store instead? Or try restarting Steam?

If you don't have luck I can forward you the email Steam sent me about the problem (I didn't much read it, the problem fixed itself when I rebooted steam I think).

Yeah restating steam doesnt do anything, and I cant order on the website either.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Instro said:

I'm having the same problem.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\splinter cell\system

Open the SplinterCellUser.ini

FOV is near the top...

[Engine.PlayerController]
DesiredFOV=
DefaultFOV=

Resolution is near the bottom...

[Engine.EPCGameOptions]
Resolution=

Anyone have any FOV recommendations for 1920x1200/16:10? The default is 75, I've bumped it up to 85 and am going to test it out now.

Sanic

Never again will I restore my steam library from optical media. (Nor will I have to thanks to my new setup, thankfully).

For me, it just flat out didn't work as it was supposed to. Unless I manually restored each game individually, steam either locked up or started downloading the game instead of using the disc. And even when I restored each game individually, steam still locked up fairly often.

I don't know if these are common sentiments or just a bad experience, but yeah, never again.

Ledsen

Pandoracell said:
Never again will I restore my steam library from optical media. (Nor will I have to thanks to my new setup, thankfully).

For me, it just flat out didn't work as it was supposed to. Unless I manually restored each game individually, steam either locked up or started downloading the game instead of using the disc. And even when I restored each game individually, steam still locked up fairly often.

I don't know if these are common sentiments or just a bad experience, but yeah, never again.

Last time I just backed up my entire steamapps folder and put it back after wiping the HDD. It worked pretty well, except for some reasion all games showed up as lik 99% downloaded instead of ready to play, so I had to go through and verify them all.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ledsen said:
Last time I just backed up my entire steamapps folder and put it back after wiping the HDD. It worked pretty well, except for some reasion all games showed up as lik 99% downloaded instead of ready to play, so I had to go through and verify them all.
So if I want to install a new windows operating system, all I have to do is copy over the Steam apps folder?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Fuck. I'm going to miss out on the Borderlands:GOTY deals because purchasing stuff from Steam is completely bonked out.

Techno

Neo Member
Anyone thinkin about getting the Splinter Cell pack for $25?

I wonder if the multiplayer in Chaos Theory/Double Agent are still alive.
I fucking loved ps2 pandora tomorrow.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dance In My Blood said:
Fuck. I'm going to miss out on the Borderlands:GOTY deals because purchasing stuff from Steam is completely bonked out.
I got mine for 6.38 on D2D including tax. Used a 15% code. Posted it earlier in this thread.

And the last expansion just finished downloading, yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom