• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
shintoki said:
So if I want to install a new windows operating system, all I have to do is copy over the Steam apps folder?
Yes, that's what I've done half a dozen times, and it works like a charm.

Just make your you also save your Documents folder, plus Risen and Torchlight will be in User/AppData/Roaming.

Echoplx

Pandoracell said:
Never again will I restore my steam library from optical media. (Nor will I have to thanks to my new setup, thankfully).

For me, it just flat out didn't work as it was supposed to. Unless I manually restored each game individually, steam either locked up or started downloading the game instead of using the disc. And even when I restored each game individually, steam still locked up fairly often.

I don't know if these are common sentiments or just a bad experience, but yeah, never again.

Same experience for me, now i just keep my steamapps folder on a separate system drive so formatting doesn't effect it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
nexen said:
Splinter Cell pack is $10 too much.
Also - where is Pandora Tomorrow? Helloooo?

I'm thinking it's too high also. I'll wait to see if the summer sale has these for a lower price.

shintoki said:
So if I want to install a new windows operating system, all I have to do is copy over the Steam apps folder?
Yeah, pretty much. I've just straight dumped my whole Steam directory from one drive to another, reinstalled around it, deleted crap right out of it from another OS, and it's always worked just fine.

Do realize that you probably don't have all of your save games in that folder, though. Seems like games these days love to stash those in your Documents folder or hide them in your user profile somewhere.

I saw that Magicka was going back to full price at 4pm PST so I looked at it again and the hilarious Vietnam poster and decided to buy it, but it kept giving me errors and told me to contact Steam support, after going through PayPal.

I tried a different computer and two different browsers and like a hundred times and then it worked at the last second! And then I checked the store and it wasn't on sale anymore. Ridiculous timing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's about 10 dollars with the 15% promo code on D2D

You have to add each separately but it's still a good deal for 10.

caliblue15 said:
Bioshock 2 is $5 on Direct 2 Drive if anyone missed the Steam sale earlier...

trying to decide if it's worth it... cause it isn't on steam...

http://www.direct2drive.com/8979/pro...ock-2-Download

It's a GFWL title, if you bought it off of D2D and added it as a Non-Steam game, you'd be getting roughly the same functionality as you would if you bought it off of Steam. Minus your total play time tracked or ability to review the game on the Steam store.

Echoplx

jaundicejuice said:
It's a GFWL title, if you bought it off of D2D and added it as a Non-Steam game, you'd be getting roughly the same functionality as you would if you bought it off of Steam. Minus your total play time tracked or ability to review the game on the Steam store.

You could say that about any game that isn't steamworks.

3chopl0x said:
You could say that about any game that isn't steamworks.

This is true, it's something I do a fair bit. caliblue15 can buy Bioshock 2 now off of D2D for the same price it was going for on Steam two days ago or wait who knows how long for the next time Bioshock 2 goes on sale on Steam again. And there's no guarantee it'll go for the same price.

plc268

nexen said:
Splinter Cell pack is $10 too much.
Also - where is Pandora Tomorrow? Helloooo?

I got the splinter cell pack last june when it was ~$45. Worth every penny... except double agent. That game is a turd. For $25, the Splinter Cell collection is a good value.

LegoDad

Well if it's a GFWL, i'll just buy on D2D as it does the achievements, I don't really lose too much from not getting on steam, just like to keep it all on the same program.

Blizzard

Banned
Schmattakopf said:
I was gonna buy the four-pack because I saw your post... but I really wanted Vietnam. D: Sorry.
Do you have the normal Magicka version? Nabs was telling me that only the host needs to have Vietnam installed. That seems kind of odd that they would do it that way, but if it's true then you're welcome to play it with me if I get around to it. I haven't even tried the normal Magicka campaign yet though, since I literally bought it like two days ago.

Blizzard said:
Do you have the normal Magicka version? Nabs was telling me that only the host needs to have Vietnam installed. That seems kind of odd that they would do it that way, but if it's true then you're welcome to play it with me if I get around to it. I haven't even tried the normal Magicka campaign yet though, since I literally bought it like two days ago.
The normal version? I just bought the $7.99 USD pack with Vietnam and the other little thing ... 47 minutes ago. But if you want to play whatever, send me a message on Steam.

Vyer

Fuck, I was getting the 'unexpected error' when trying to buy Civ. Card kept getting the error for some reason.

Said screw it and just purchased with my Paypal account.

Vyer said:
Fuck, I was getting the 'unexpected error' when trying to buy Civ. Card kept getting the error for some reason.

Said screw it and just purchased with my Paypal account.
Just FYI, same thing was happening to me with PayPal so it might not be your card.

Instro

Hm well the Store seems to be working for me now, I was able to purchase the Civ DLC that I wanted. Guess it was a problem on their end.

klez

Sorry to repost this, but is anyone still interested in a portal 2 2-pack? I just got the funds for it, and I can even lead the pack. Drop me a pm if you're interested. Thx!

TheExodu5

Banned
Does anyone by any chance have a spare copy of Magicka for the sale price ($5 I think?)? I kind of want a friend to get it, but he missed out on the sale.

j3hg00

klez said:
Sorry to repost this, but is anyone still interested in a portal 2 2-pack? I just got the funds for it, and I can even lead the pack. Drop me a pm if you're interested. Thx!

Sent you a PM klez.

Also, in case you've already found someone:
I'm looking to split a Portal 2 2-pack ASAP, seeing as how the game's launching early! Please send me a PM if you're interested.

NVM, took care of it. Thanks klez.

Hey guys i got a question about steam games that use gfwl. RE 5 in particular. I know it uses gfwl if i buy it on Steam too but i noticed that in the gfwl version it has securom with 5 limit. If i get it from steam will i not have securom and just need to log into gfwl?

vocab

Syphon Filter said:
Hey guys i got a question about steam games that use gfwl. RE 5 in particular. I know it uses gfwl if i buy it on Steam too but i noticed that in the gfwl version it has securom with 5 limit. If i get it from steam will i not have securom and just need to log into gfwl?

RE5 doesn't come with securom or gfwl.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, anybody looking for a 2-pack partner. Need one for my friend. I already got in one with a Euro-gaffer to help them out, otherwise I would do it with him. He can paypal you immediately, but cant host. PM me

klez

Thanks to mygu for the 2-pack portal 2 there's an extra portal for free! First pm gets the game. To be honest though, you should just preorder portal 2 and get portal for free yourself. :p

And I thought you can sent gifts people already have on steam right? That'll just go to their gift list last time I did it.

It looks like the third Runaway game, A Twist of Fate, is finally coming to Steam in a week along with The Next Big Thing. For those who don't know, they're point-and-click adventure games.

I've e-mailed the publisher of the series so many times with no replies but it looks like they've been paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom