• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

Go RIGHT NOW and overpay for Dead Space 2! It's cool, you'll save $1.80 on Dead Space. Don't let this deal slip away.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
The support one needs to happen though. Simply saying "Charge back? BAN. Good luck getting your account back, sucker!" (well not really, but you catch my drift) is ridiculous.
Oh yeah, no argument there.

MoFuzz

Shaneus said:
One more: Game controller support for the client.
Can be done with Xpadder at this very moment, but I assume you mean native support, which would be awesome, yes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Drkirby said:
If you just got the 500GB Drive, the easiest thing is to simply take the steam folder and drag it over to the new drive.
That's what I did. My install is completely portable although game saves still end up all over the place.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can you also install multiple instances of the steam client? One of my drives is filling up, but I have about 200 gigs on my other drive. It would be nice to have two places to install all my games.

I'm kind of amazed that steam still doesn't let you specify where to install games on an install by install basis... so bizarre.

mclaren777

MoFuzz said:
For Steam you mean? If you add items to your wishlist, you can track easily what's on sale.
But will Steam e-mail me when said games go on sale? Because I currently don't use Steam often enough to check prices manually, so I'm sure I would miss a potential sale.

Welp, I am officially done with EA and their $60 crap. Never thought I'd say this but I'm waiting for the holiday sales for the following:

Dead Space 2
Mass Effect 3
Battlefield 3
Dragons Age 2 (waiting for $20 for GOTY)

Same goes with Ubisoft and Activision. Screw this crap. I am part of the problem since I purchased MW2, BLOPS, and Ass Creed 2, but no more.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LovingSteam said:
Welp, I am officially done with EA and their $60 crap. Never thought I'd say this but I'm waiting for the holiday sales for the following:

Dead Space 2
Mass Effect 3
Battlefield 3

Same goes with Ubisoft and Activision. Screw this crap. I am part of the problem since I purchased MW2, BLOPS, and Ass Creed 2, but no more.
"What? Delayed release? No demo? Why aren't PC gamers given the same treatment as console gamers?"

"$60? I would never pay those prices for a PC game."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LovingSteam said:

Dead Space 2
Mass Effect 3
Battlefield 3

That's a strange kind of boycott, yeah? :)

Stallion Free said:
I wouldn't buy any of those unless I had beaten Dead Space 1, Mass Effect 1/2, and Dragon Age 1.

Let me guess, now comes your spiel on how I don't play any of my games? Well every thread needs an asshole and we definitely have one in you.

Lothars

LovingSteam said:
Let me guess, now comes your spiel on how I don't play any of my games? Well every thread needs an asshole and we definitely have one in you.

I will be buying ME3 if it's worth it at launch on the PC but I don't have an issue with waiting for that to drop price.

If they treat ME3 like they do for dragon age 2 on steam than I won't buy it till the GOTY edition.

ZZMitch

I have been playing some Darksiders that I got off the Steam Sale and it is a pretty awesome game!

But what is up with the cutscenes? They look horrible for some reason... did the devs take them right off the console versions or something?

Lothars said:
I will be buying ME3 if it's worth it at launch on the PC but I don't have an issue with waiting for that to drop price.

If they treat ME3 like they do for dragon age 2 on steam than I won't buy it till the GOTY edition.

I was psyched for ME3 but at $60? No thanks.

kamspy

LovingSteam said:

Why don't you play your games?

kamspy said:
Why don't you play your games?

I do, just apparently not enough for Stallion's approval lol. I work full time, have a wife and daughter so I don't spend a lot of time on games but I buy a lot so when I do have time I have plenty to choose from.

SapientWolf said:
"What? Delayed release? No demo? Why aren't PC gamers given the same treatment as console gamers?"

"$60? I would never pay those prices for a PC game."
PC gamers are cheaper because each platform holder takes a licensing fee for each game to be part of the platform. With PC it is an open platform and the savings can be passed onto the consumer. In fact EA probably makes more from a $50 PC version than a $60 console copy because of the licensing and print costs associated with consoles. The lack of demos, DRM, and post release support from publishers is laziness and disregard for the PC audience.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
So much anger. I really don't think most sequels are worth while if you haven't play the original, especially a game like Mass Effect. Just my opinion though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, I noticed Impulse got Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, NWN, and the Master of Orion collection this week. That's 6 formerly GOG exclusive titles now on Impulse. Are we operating under the assumption that GOG's exclusivity period ran out and now those games are going to be everywhere, or are we operating under the assumption that there was never one to begin with but only Impulse has managed to get the deal done besides GOG?

Edit: They also picked up the whole Kohan series :O

Zizbuka said:
Well, that site also has other DD specials. And not just specials, but also price drops. And steampowered is blocked from work.

Didn't think about the work filter thing, great catch.

Stallion Free said:
So much anger. I really don't think most sequels are worth while if you haven't play the original, especially a game like Mass Effect. Just my opinion though.

No anger. Just calling you out for continually being a jackass. Whether its myself or others, you continually have little comments you make for no reason.

kamspy

LovingSteam said:
I do, just apparently not enough for Stallion's approval lol. I work full time, have a wife and daughter so I don't spend a lot of time on games but I buy a lot so when I do have time I have plenty to choose from.

It's all good man. I've got 4 daughters and a wife. That's why I play my games so often! Headphones = on.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Visualante said:
PC gamers are cheaper because each platform holder takes a licensing fee for each game to be part of the platform. With PC it is an open platform and the savings can be passed onto the consumer. In fact EA probably makes more from a $50 PC version than a $60 console copy because of the licensing and print costs associated with consoles. The lack of demos, DRM, and post release support from publishers is laziness and disregard for the PC audience.
Price isn't a direct function of costs. The market sets the price. Ultimately, the games are cheaper because the PC gaming market is extremely price sensitive, and there's no generational jump that can be used to justify an increase across the board. If a publisher feels that demand for their PC game is so high that a price increase would increase revenue then the price goes up.

Publishers direct their efforts towards areas with the greatest ROI. I don't think laziness really enters in to the equation. It's not unusual to hear industry stories about how developers are worked until they literally fall out of their chairs.

To return to my original point, the customers willing to pay more get better treatment. It's no different than any other industry.

hamchan

Stallion Free said:

I think you can get away playing Dead Space 2 and Dragon Age 2 without playing the original.

Fredescu

ZZMitch said:
But what is up with the cutscenes? They look horrible for some reason... did the devs take them right off the console versions or something?
That's fairly common for console ports. The cutscenes were made to blend in with the 360 gameplay, so on PC you get nice looking gamplay and shitty cutscenes. Take it as a reminder of what could have been.

ZZMitch

Fredescu said:
That's fairly common for console ports. The cutscenes were made to blend in with the 360 gameplay, so on PC you get nice looking gamplay and shitty cutscenes. Take it as a reminder of what could have been.

Yeah, wow, I haven't played on an Xbox in a while, but I don't remember the graphics being that bad :p. I guess I have just been spoiled lately by PC!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
LovingSteam said:

Why don't you stop staring at the steam registry all the time.

*joking of course*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind has been added to the reg (Plus a combo pack with Heir to the Throne), it has a price tag of $19.99 put on it.

Also, a entry for "Civ V GOTY", my bet it is Civ V with its DLC.

Volcynika

Fredescu said:
They launched at at least $15. Might have been $20.

No, I remember seeing them at $5 apiece as well. I remember PSN having a sale on them and they were like $7.49 apiece on that store, but I did look on Steam and they were $5 apiece.

Drkirby said:
Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind has been added to the reg (Plus a combo pack with Heir to the Throne), it has a price tag of $19.99 put on it.

Also, a entry for "Civ V GOTY", my bet it is Civ V with its DLC.

Just an FYI, ignore the pricing. Its never correct.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fredescu said:
They launched at at least $15. Might have been $20.
No, that site posted above, http://www.steamgamesales.com, says they went up $3 also.

Just an FYI, ignore the pricing. Its never correct.
I noticed, but it looks like the price I think they would try charing anyhow.

And actually, I am sure the GOTY version of Civ V comes with the DLC, I forgot a lot of titles list what is included. One thing that is nice is it says you also get the Digital Deluxe Conant. You also get "ValveTestApp99611" which could be some DLC that isn't out yet, or random junk.

Oh, there is also a listing for Retail copies of the DLC, so there may be a physical disc sold in stores.

I wonder if the Registry Entires imply things Valved planed on but never did, like there is a "Requires Shipping Address" entry (Implying Steam may of once been a web store for physical copies too), and a "Requires CD" check box.

Volcynika

Fredescu said:
They might have gone down in a sale and were accidentally left that way. They definitely weren't $5 when they came out.

Well yeah I know they weren't $5 when they came out. And it wasn't a crossed out price or anything, wasn't some sale price that just got left there.

Dead Space is the first horror game I buy since Resident Evil 4 for the PS2. What is this business of the fps being capped at 30 when enabling vsync?

epmode

Lasthope106 said:
Dead Space is the first horror game I buy since Resident Evil 4 for the PS2. What is this business of the fps being capped at 30 when enabling vsync?
It's not? I use D3D Overrider to do vsync and it's a solid 60.

Nabs

Lasthope106 said:
disable vsync, get d3d and be happy.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The new EU3 expansion, Divine Wind, is out on Steam. Also EU3 Complete and Heir to the Throne are 80% off.

Double D

Finally got around to dirt 2. Game is pretty damn awesome an has quite a bit more depth to it than. Would have thought. Also doesnt hurt that I can get 360 cheevos from it. Only bummer is that there seems to be DX11 issues so I have to play in DX9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom