• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

jaundicejuice said:
Given GTA4's issues, I think that 10$ would be better spent by going towards buying Risen or Darkspore (my next planned purchases). It's such a badly optomised port of a console game.

When's the last time you played it ? there's been a lot of patches over the years and now the game runs pretty well even on mid-end rigs. Nothing unplayable about it.

TheExodu5

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Given GTA4's issues, I think that 10$ would be better spent by going towards buying Risen or Darkspore (my next planned purchases). It's such a badly optomised port of a console game.

Honestly it's not that badly optimized. It runs about as well as the console versions do with console equivalent hardware. It's just that when you scale it up, it still looks ugly and the performance requirements go through the roof.

It also has really awkward controls coming off the superb Mafia 2.

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:
Honestly it's not that badly optimized. It runs about as well as the console versions do with console equivalent hardware. It's just that when you scale it up, it still looks ugly and the performance requirements go through the roof.

Cant really compare it to a game that came out 2 years afterwards.

I think the controls are fine, its just a matter of getting used to it. Im currently playing GTAIII and after 1 hour i felt right at home, at first i was a complete mess.

TheExodu5

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Cant really compare it to a game that came out 2 years afterwards.

Why not?

Mafia 2 looks better, runs better, and controls better. It's not as if games have been getting more visually complex in the past few years. We reached the plateau not too far from the GTA IV release.

Keep in mind Mafia 2 is a tiny project compared to the massive GTA IV. Rockstar has just never been good with engines, at all.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I can't even get The Lost and Damned to start. The piece of shit is stuck at the loading screen and just stops there. $7.50 well spent.

I can't speak for anyone else, but GTA4 ran flawlessly on my old PC. That was like, 8800 GT, 3GB of RAM and an Intel e6850. No crashes, no glitches, no framerate issues. But maybe I'm in the minority.

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:
Keep in mind Mafia 2 is a tiny project compared to the massive GTA IV. Rockstar has just never been good with engines, at all.

GTA IV is a bigger project in the sense of the huge world, money spent on voice talent, etc, but its not like Mafia II was an indie game. They didnt have to concentrate in making the sandbox aspect super huge and interesting with lots of things to do since its a much more linear game. Its a lot prettier, yes, but you should take this in consideration as well as the 2 years that passed.

I also love Mafia II, but i think GTA IV plays just fine. Its not ugly by any means (specially with mods) and it certainly controls alright.

The only problem I had with GTA 4 was the last mission where you have to pull yourself up, the button I had to mash wouldn't work and I'd fail the mission over and over. Same thing with the keyboard.

Oddly enough, turning fraps on and recording a video at that moment made it work. Some even say just turning fraps on works though I didn't try that. Just an FYI for anyone who bought it today and gets to that point.

Xdrive05

So roughly what settings/performance should I expect for GTA:IV with the following rig?

1 x ECS A780GM-A Ultra AM2+/AM3 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

1 x AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX

2 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

1 x ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

--- the CPU is clocked to 3.6GHz and the GPU is @ 850/2000

commissar

I played through half of GTA4 (again) on my PC earlier this year and had no problems. Went through BoGT too with no problems either (already finished TL&D on 360).

C2D 8400/4GB/4850

at $10 it is definitely worth it

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm sure the game has made a lot of strides since the original PC release. I remember reading on here how the game was a killer and maybe the poor optimization bit was true. Now, with great HW, I'm running this at 60fps most of the time. The most taxing the game has been for me has been when a user online sets the fog to thick and that is the one and only time I've seen my frame rate go into the upper 20's. This game can definitely be and up and down but is playble and then some all the time. And I use a 6950 to 6970 2GB.

filipe

Xdrive05 said:
So roughly what settings/performance should I expect for GTA:IV with the following rig?

1 x ECS A780GM-A Ultra AM2+/AM3 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

1 x AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX

2 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

1 x ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

--- the CPU is clocked to 3.6GHz and the GPU is @ 850/2000

I don't think the CPU will be a bottleneck in this case. The 460 is a wonderful card, but I don't think it'll handle GTA at full or close to full.

It'll probably be a a mix of mediums and highs, with things like shadows set to low.

THRILLH0

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Yay for posting crap without any statistics to back it up!

Shit dude be more defensive. It's what HE'S FOUND.

schmattakopf said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but GTA4 ran flawlessly on my old PC. That was like, 8800 GT, 3GB of RAM and an Intel e6850. No crashes, no glitches, no framerate issues. But maybe I'm in the minority.

Me too but the problem is most of PC-gaf start a new PC game and crank everything up to Ultra at 2560 x 1600 and if it runs at less than a solid 60fps it's a horrible engine/port.

bigace33

My rig is not a super rig by any stretch of the imagination but GTA4 is quite playable on it. You just have to do a bit of tweaking.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
GTA Episodes run really weird for me- like I'm playing in a laggy online server or something. So much for that ten bucks.

SalsaShark said:
When's the last time you played it ? there's been a lot of patches over the years and now the game runs pretty well even on mid-end rigs. Nothing unplayable about it.

Years ago, I've only ever played GTA4 vanilla. Never tried Lost & The Damned or Ballad of Gay Tony.

TheExodu5 said:

That's kind of my issue, although I don't think GTA4 would prove a problem for my current rig. I dunno, I just think I'd rather put the 10$ to something else. I put 50 hours into GTA4 vanilla and by the end I wouldn't describe it as a positive experience.

Also I think I would be better off replaying Mafia II so I could go through all of that DLC I bought in a sale a few months back.

AShep said:
Me too but the problem is most of PC-gaf start a new PC game and crank everything up to Ultra at 2560 x 1600 and if it runs at less than a solid 60fps it's a horrible engine/port.
Oh well that's true, it certainly wasn't on max settings but it still looked great. I'm sure my new PC could handle max settings.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GTAIV hasn't been that bad for me, at least compared to what I'm reading in this thread. I have a GTX460, Intel Quad and 8gb of RAM so I have nice hardware, but not beastly by any means. With shadows turned to low (and draw dist. cranked up a bit) I get between 40-50 fps on average. It's not always the sharpest looking game but the scale can be impressive, especially when you're hovering over Liberty City in a Helicopter.

Still, a game that old should definitely run better than that. If GTAV actually has a PC release, hopefully it's better tuned.

SalsaShark said:
If anyone else is thinking about joining me into playing GTA III, i highly recommend using the XBOX graphics mod. Adds the improvements that were made for the Xbox version of the game (higher res textures, better lighting, models etc.), adds even more stuff (some new HD textures) and a bit of the ENB series mod to make the colors pop out more. Looks really really good.
Does this work with the steam version by default?

Salsa

Pookaki said:
Does this work with the steam version by default?

Yup. I recommend using the installer to extract the files in a desktop folder and then manually copy them to the GTA3 folder in steamapps.

Only thing ive noticed is that it kinda screw ups the Steam overlay, since it closes itself for some reason. And apparently you also cant take steam screenshots.

Small price to pay though, since the game looks a lot better.

Shaneus

SalsaShark said:
Yup. I recommend using the installer to extract the files in a desktop folder and then manually copy them to the GTA3 folder in steamapps.

Only thing ive noticed is that it kinda screw ups the Steam overlay, since it closes itself for some reason. And apparently you also cant take steam screenshots.

Small price to pay though, since the game looks a lot better.
Any idea if that same mod works for VC and SA as well? If it's easy to implement, I'm sold. That was my biggest gripe with ENB, it was a bitch to get running.

Salsa

Shaneus said:
Any idea if that same mod works for VC and SA as well? If it's easy to implement, I'm sold. That was my biggest gripe with ENB, it was a bitch to get running.

SA wasnt part of the xbox pack so i wouldnt know. There must be an xbox mod for VC as well i guess.

SA holds up pretty well on its own, im not that mad about it. I never really liked ENB that much, to me it mostly makes the game darker and pops out the colors in a weird way, dont really dig it that much. Im enjoying the higher res textures from this mod a lot more.

OT: i hope we get some sales tomorrow D:

heyf00L

Tried the ENB mod in Vice City. Default settings glitch it up. I toned most things down, but now the game is crazy dark. Meh.

Strange how each game has its own set of mods. III has Xbox. VC and SA have ENB, but the SA one looks much better even sporting shadow maps. I want shadow maps in VC. :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
two questions:

1. Mass Effect 2. Was it available on the day of release on Steam? Just curious.

2. Now that I've bought ME2 on Steam, do I have access to the Cerberus bullshit? I also have the EA version, can I just copy and paste the CD-key at their stupid website?

just finished ME1 (amazing game) and waiting for the d/l, which'll probably take all night

thanks

Aspiring

Sorry if this is in the wrong section I don't know where else to ask it. I just got a steam account at the request of my friend who gifted me team fortress 2. Ok so I'm on a Mac that I bought last year, and the game says preparing to launch team fortress 2, goes away and just stays black. Nothing else. Can anyone help?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Snuggler said:
two questions:

1. Mass Effect 2. Was it available on the day of release on Steam? Just curious.

2. Now that I've bought ME2 on Steam, do I have access to the Cerberus bullshit? I also have the EA version, can I just copy and paste the CD-key at their stupid website?

just finished ME1 (amazing game) and waiting for the d/l, which'll probably take all night

thanks

Yes it was on steam the day of release. Yes you have access to cerberus network.

2San

Does anyone know if there is a good quick save mod or save anywhere mod for GTAIV(steam version)? Even though I just bought it, I really don't feel like going back to the whole save spot bs. It's the reason why I skipped GTAIV in the first place. Though I could stand it with the previous GTA's, but having this archaic shit in 2008 was inexcusable to me.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody else have a ton of problems getting the Steam website to work on an Android phone? I had to try a billion times to get the login button to work, and when I did a new form pops up that says I need to enter a code (that they emailed me) but every time I click on the text box the keyboard immediately pops up and then closes itself. When I CAN get the keyboard to stay up, it closes after a single key press, which means I'm physically unable to enter numbers.

Really want to buy GTAIV but I can't.

Monroeski said:
Anybody else have a ton of problems getting the Steam website to work on an Android phone? I had to try a billion times to get the login button to work, and when I did a new form pops up that says I need to enter a code (that they emailed me) but every time I click on the text box the keyboard immediately pops up and then closes itself. When I CAN get the keyboard to stay up, it closes after a single key press, which means I'm physically unable to enter numbers.

Really want to buy GTAIV but I can't.
I can get in fine, just entered my key with the virtual keyboard and everything. I used Opera Mobile.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
I can get in fine, just entered my key with the virtual keyboard and everything. I used Opera Mobile.

I was using the default browser. I managed to make my way past that verification window by copy/pasting, but then the purchase screen was blank (the area where you confirm account details; the left side when the right shows the cards they accept). This annoyed the hell out of me, so I went to the market looking for a different free browser, ended up downloading Opera, and it worked great.

Echoplx

desu said:
I wonder if we will see another sale this week, I wouldn't mind that :D.

Has been said before but 2K and R* are both owned by Take Two so it's logical they have a shared week long sale (4 days for 2K, 3 for R*) so don't get your hopes up.

desu

3chopl0x said:
Has been said before but 2K and R* are both owned by Take Two so it's logical they have a shared week long sale (4 days for 2K, 3 for R*) so don't get your hopes up.

Obviously, but there could always follow another publisher ;).

Monroeski said:
... I went to the market looking for a different free browser, ended up downloading Opera, and it worked great.

Just make sure you grab Opera Mobile and not Opera Mini. Opera Mini sends all your data through Opera's servers which means they have access to everything you're doing, even SSL encrypted stuff IIRC. Not that they would do anything malicious per se, but anybody can be hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom