• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBishop

Banned
Pookaki said:
I have always herd that GTA IV on PC is horribly optimized. But I still bought it. I have very little self control :|

Duo Core @ 2.4ghz (Weak Link)
4gigs of Ram
GTX 460 - 768mb

At what resolution do you think I could hold 30+ FPS?

I've got an HP Envy 14 laptop.

Specs:
CPU: Intel M580 2.67 Ghz i5
GPU: ATI 5650 w/ 1GB dedicated ram
RAM: 4GB DDR3

I'm able to run GTA4 comfortably at 720p on medium settings.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
DarthWufei said:
Reposting here cause I'm an idiot.

The Splinter Cell pack is still tempting me, are most of the games in it just not that great? Never really played the series before.

Double Agent is terrible and the newest one had a mixed reaction, but the first one is a spectacular stealth game, and I hear great things about Chaos Theory.

DarthWufei said:
Reposting here cause I'm an idiot.

The Splinter Cell pack is still tempting me, are most of the games in it just not that great? Never really played the series before.
Chaos Theory is great. First one is very good, Pandora Tomorrow is good. I didn't like Conviction and Double Agent that much.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Yaboosh said:
Double Agent is terrible and the newest one had a mixed reaction, but the first one is a spectacular stealth game, and I hear great things about Chaos Theory.
Really? I think it's very good although pandora/chaos are the best. The last one is ok. IMO.

chixdiggit

Anyone have any extra Potato pack games they are looking to get rid of/sell/trade?
I'm looking for Super Meat Boy, Audio Surf, AaaAAA, 123kickit, Bit Trip, Cogs, Rush, and End of the world.

I have extra copies of Dog Fighter and Portal 1 but am willing to work out any other sort of trade.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
NaM said:
Really? I think it's very good although pandora/chaos are the best. The last one is ok. IMO.

Depends what version of DA you play. The X360/PC version is a steaming pile of festering refuse. The OG Xbox version was a nice follow up to Chaos Theory.

Sanic

Does anyone have a working link to any of the config editors for Borderlands? I found one earlier in the thread, but it's dead.

edit: found one, but it doesn't exactly have a whole lot of options. Just stuff for things like FoV, texture resolution, and motion blur.

Salsa

If anyone else is thinking about joining me into playing GTA III, i highly recommend using the XBOX graphics mod. Adds the improvements that were made for the Xbox version of the game (higher res textures, better lighting, models etc.), adds even more stuff (some new HD textures) and a bit of the ENB series mod to make the colors pop out more. Looks really really good.

Nabs

sn00zer said:
Never played a GTA game before...for $10 for GTA 4 seems like its worth the plunge...quick question though how will it run on my

Duo Core 2.66GHz
4 GB RAM
8800 GTS

Looking for above 30

You should have bought the classic pack

TheExodu5

Banned
GTA IV looks like ass. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Seriously, I went to play GTA IV after Mafia 2. It was like a punch in the face. Even completely maxed out, with a 2500k @ 4.6GHz and 2x GTX 570, it looks like shit, controls like shit, and even performance wasn't that great.

kamspy

*Attn D3DOverrider lovers*

If you're like me, you probably run it in every game. Most games, it's a tremendous help. But it for some reason it demolishes GTA4 performance. It even doubles the load times.

So yeah, disable D3Doverrider before launching GTA4. We're talking 15-20 fps gain and half the load times.

bengraven

GTAIV's on sale as well? I picked up San An this morning, thought those games were the DotD.

EDIT: OHhhhhh fuccccck, IV AND the DLC for just $10?

Fuuuuuck you Steam. My wife is going to see the five Steam purchases in the last three days and kick my ass. :/

IrishNinja said:
...seriously? you sure you're not just doing something wrong?
I'm running it at 1920x1200 with most of the settings at or near max, and my framerate is usually between 25 and 40, which is inexcusable considering how dated it looks.
kamspy said:

If you're like me, you probably run it in every game. Most games, it's a tremendous help. But it for some reason it demolishes GTA4 performance. It even doubles the load times.

So yeah, disable D3Doverrider before launching GTA4. We're talking 15-20 fps gain and half the load times.
I use Ati Tray Tools, does that also have an adverse effect?

bigace33

Yes! Get back home to find GTA 4 for 5 dollars. So glad I didn't pull the trigger at Amazon for 11.50. Steam is the best.

kamspy said:

wut? I leave it on and it doesn't affect my framerate at all. Getting 60 fps with most settings on max.

Now load times may be a different story. When I'm loading my saved game or trying to join an online game/lobby it can take a really long time. In game loading doesn't seem to be too bad though.

SalsaShark said:
Nope.

I think they're not even gonna bother with it (and midnight club 2) since they dont work on win 7 at all, and that's a big chunk of costumers.

There is a community made patch that gets it working which I think they could at least point people in the direction of.

IrishNinja

nincompoop said:
I'm running it at 1920x1200 with most of the settings at or near max, and my framerate is usually between 25 and 40, which is inexcusable considering how dated it looks.

damn. im on an i5-760 or something, 6870 and also use the ATI tray tools. the only thing
that held me off from grabbing this (apart from not being a huge GTA fan anyway) was that this texture mod that made the game look way better, i'd read it was difficult if not impossible to get going with the steam version - forget the exact mod name but it had its own thread around here.

Psy-Phi

TheExodu5 said:
GTA IV looks like ass. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Seriously, I went to play GTA IV after Mafia 2. It was like a punch in the face. Even completely maxed out, with a 2500k @ 4.6GHz and 2x GTX 570, it looks like shit, controls like shit, and even performance wasn't that great.
if Mafia 2 didn't look better than GTA4 there would be a huge problem with their engine...how old is GTA4 now? 3 years? And I hope youre being hyperbolic, because GTA4 is still impressive for all that the engine does.

bengraven said:
GTAIV's on sale as well? I picked up San An this morning, thought those games were the DotD.

EDIT: OHhhhhh fuccccck, IV AND the DLC for just $10?

Fuuuuuck you Steam. My wife is going to see the five Steam purchases in the last three days and kick my ass. :/
Get your own CC. Or dump money into the Steam Wallet.

IrishNinja said:
damn. im on an i5-760 or something, 6870 and also use the ATI tray tools. the only thing
that held me off from grabbing this (apart from not being a huge GTA fan anyway) was that this texture mod that made the game look way better, i'd read it was difficult if not impossible to get going with the steam version - forget the exact mod name but it had its own thread around here.
I think it's just a horribly unoptomized port. I figured something was up when I tried cranking up the draw distance to maximum and the game wouldn't let me since I only have 1GB of VRAM.

TheExodu5

Banned
Psy-Phi said:
if Mafia 2 didn't look better than GTA4 there would be a huge problem with their engine...how old is GTA4 now? 3 years? And I hope youre being hyperbolic, because GTA4 is still impressive for all that the engine does.

No I'm not being hyperbolic. It just doesn't look good at all to me. Mafia 2 looks a ton better.

Nekrono

What the hell, I just tried running Episodes from Liberty City after installing and it wouldn't start, I restarted my PC tried again and it did load and the logos started playing then it crashed "EFLC has stopped working" I tried running it again and same shit won't even start again... WTF?

Anyone have any clue why this might be happening? Has it happened to anyone else?

Enco

Think I finally managed to fix my Borderlands crashing problem.

I made a shortcut to the game and set it to run as admin. I also reinstalled the video drivers and ran some installs from the games files. Got this fix from a guy in the official forums (posted a long time ago).

I'm surprised it was the admin thing as I have UAC turned off and I'm the only account. Ah well. Let's hope it keeps on working.

Awesome game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
nincompoop said:
I think it's just a horribly unoptomized port. I figured something was up when I tried cranking up the draw distance to maximum and the game wouldn't let me since I only have 1GB of VRAM.
I think the Developers said that the game at max settings is not meant to run at a good speed on even top of the line hardware for a few years.

chixdiggit said:
I have extra copies of Dog Fighter and Portal 1 but am willing to work out any other sort of trade.
A game everyone has and given away for free a number of times and a fairly poor indie game that was sold for $1? Get out.

I was going to try and play Portal today to boost my hype for the second game to an even higher level, but when I try to load it my Samsung television gives a no signal error. I can still hear the familiar Valve song and then the menu music loads, so the game's running and all, I just can't see it. Other games work (Source games included).

Anyone have any experience with this and know of a fix?

IamMattFox said:
I was going to try and play Portal today to boost my hype for the second game to an even higher level, but when I try to load it my Samsung television gives a no signal error. I can still hear the familiar Valve song and then the menu music loads, so the game's running and all, I just can't see it. Other games work (Source games included).

Anyone have any experience with this and know of a fix?

Maybe the refresh rate is too high for your TV?

Kenichi

Neo Member
I have a quadcore 2.8 ghz athlon IIx4 630 and even at 16850x720p GTA IV episodes still runs really poorly. What settings should i focus on turning down/off?

LocoMrPollock said:
Maybe the refresh rate is too high for your TV?

Tried a different refresh rate and it still didn't work, but starting it in safe mode and then changing the resolution and stuff did work.

My Portal fun may now continue. I am pleased.

Nabs

Nekrono said:
What the hell, I just tried running Episodes from Liberty City after installing and it wouldn't start, I restarted my PC tried again and it did load and the logos started playing then it crashed "EFLC has stopped working" I tried running it again and same shit won't even start again... WTF?

Anyone have any clue why this might be happening? Has it happened to anyone else?

I had so many problems with GTA IV that I ended up rage deleting it. I had problems with Securom, Rockstar whatever club, and GFWL all in one sitting.

poisonelf

God damnit.. ggmania.com just listed a top 10 steam sellers and Dungeon Siege 3 was listed as number 10. I had a mini seizure and rushed to give them my money.. turns out it's either a mistake or they mean pre-orders? Damn... :(

Blizzard

Banned
Nabs said:
I had so many problems with GTA IV that I ended up rage deleting it. I had problems with Securom, Rockstar whatever club, and GFWL all in one sitting.
The unholy triumvirate of PC gaming? Actually you'd probably need GameSpy/EA IDs thrown into the mix for true Maximum Terrible. My sympathies. :p

Salsa

Nabs said:

Rockstar club thing is gone. At least there's no longer a separate client for it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Pandoracell said:
That's actually the same thing I have, but thanks anyway! :)

New question: What's used to force AA in games with nvidia hardware?
Nvidia Inspector.

Echoplx

Pandoracell said:
That's actually the same thing I have, but thanks anyway! :)

New question: What's used to force AA in games with nvidia hardware?

Either the Nvidia control panel or Nvidia Inspector, inspector is fairly advanced though but I'm sure there are some guides on the net.

Sanic

Thanks guys. This is probably more appropriate for another thread, but what settings should I let inspector/control panel control and which should I let the game control, when options are available in both? And is it possible with inspector to create custom profiles for games, but use the ingame settings for games that don't have profiles? Or do I have to set control panel to "Use the advanced 3d image settings" and set up games that I don't want to, in order for them to not use the global settings?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Psy-Phi said:

Crysis came out in 2007, too. I don't think that's an excuse.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Guess I'll hold off on the collection till I upgrade. My Duo Core can't take it, and it will probably be on sale for the same during Christmas.

Given GTA4's issues, I think that 10$ would be better spent by going towards buying Risen or Darkspore (my next planned purchases). It's such a badly optomised port of a console game.

mclem

Well, this is irritating. I'm having false negatives from Steam Guard.

I've been flitting between my desktop and laptop while the Portal ARG has been going on; desktop to play games, laptop to leave them running for long periods of time. Most recently, though, I've not been able to access my desktop; I get the Steam Guard warning, it sends me the mail, and then it doesn't accept the access code from the mail.

It's not a case of typing it wrong, it's failing even if I copy and paste directly. It's just not letting me in. And - presumably because it knows it's already sent one - it's also not sending me an updated one to try afresh.

I've poked Valve about it, at least, but it's certainly mildly irritating; hopefully the problem can be ironed out before I take my long break off work for Easter, 'cause I was looking forward to cracking open Portal 2 then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom