• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

Vik_Vaughn said:
Finally got around to dirt 2. Game is pretty damn awesome an has quite a bit more depth to it than. Would have thought. Also doesnt hurt that I can get 360 cheevos from it. Only bummer is that there seems to be DX11 issues so I have to play in DX9.

card/drivers?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Alright, now I can buy Heir to the Throne. Wonder why they aren't selling the Divine Wind + Heir to the Throne pack yet.

Also, for those who don't have it and don't fear a higher learning curve, get Europa and Heir, how to play the game isn't to hard to pick up, its how to win when you choice a random small nation that is. Plus, the game has a multiplayer mode.

Veal

Vik_Vaughn said:
Finally got around to dirt 2. Game is pretty damn awesome an has quite a bit more depth to it than. Would have thought. Also doesnt hurt that I can get 360 cheevos from it. Only bummer is that there seems to be DX11 issues so I have to play in DX9.
Dirt 2 is amazing! I had to remind myself to not go balls out with the gas. Getting 1st is such a great feeling in this game.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
My first reaction to playing EU3:

"Ok I've played Civ this shouldn't be too b
gRveW.gif
"

I will figure out the game one day, though.

JoeBoy101

LovingSteam said:
Welp, I am officially done with EA and their $60 crap. Never thought I'd say this but I'm waiting for the holiday sales for the following:

Dead Space 2
Mass Effect 3
Battlefield 3
Dragons Age 2 (waiting for $20 for GOTY)

Same goes with Ubisoft and Activision. Screw this crap. I am part of the problem since I purchased MW2, BLOPS, and Ass Creed 2, but no more.

No offense man, but computer game prices have been pretty damn steady for a long time. I mean, here is an article from CNN talking about the rise in video game prices on consoles from $50 to $60. Date of the article? September 2004!

And in that article the point is made that AAA games had been at $50 for roughly 20 years. Now, I'm more than willing to jump all over EA/Activision/Etc. for price gouging bullshit, but the truth many gamers don't want to hear is that video/computer game prices are VERY reasonable. Especially given the increase in development costs over the past 5 years. And they are only trying to get parity with console prices. I wanted to rage against this too, but given I paid $50 for X-Com when it was released in 1993, I'm trying to get over myself a bit.

Sneaky increase on the PA games, I know they launched higher but for quite a while the default price was lower then they are now in the bundle, ah well they deserve money.

I have a real itch to play platformers since I bought a good controller with worthy dpad, looks like ares is bought tonight then :)

JoeBoy101 said:
they are only trying to get parity with console prices.
But there shouldn't be parity in prices. They have to pay $10 to the platform holder to publish games on that platform and they pass that cost on to the consumer thus $60 games. There is no such thing on PC thats why its only reasonable to expect PC games to be $10 cheaper than console games. Anything more is just an attempt to gouge the consumer for more money.

JoeBoy101

Lostconfused said:
But there shouldn't be parity in prices. They have to pay $10 to the platform holder to publish games on that platform and they pass that cost on to the consumer thus $60 games. There is no such thing on PC thats why its only reasonable to expect PC games to be $10 cheaper than console games. Anything more is just an attempt to gouge the consumer for more money.

But your ignoring the rest of my post. Is it not fair to look for a price increase once in 20 years? Is any price increase gouging? That assumes development and publish costs never increase either. And you're right, that is trying to get $10 extra over console gamers. I'll happily do that if it means I get Master Race version of the game instead of them deciding not to release a PC version.

JoeBoy101

speedpop said:
Like charging $89 USD for games on Steam... just because you're using an Australian IP.

Now that I have no response for. If there exists some legitimate reason to have that price difference on Steam, then I am unaware of it.

JoeBoy101 said:
But your ignoring the rest of my post. Is it not fair to look for a price increase once in 20 years? Is any price increase gouging? That assumes development and publish costs never increase either. And you're right, that is trying to get $10 extra over console gamers. I'll happily do that if it means I get Master Race version of the game instead of them deciding not to release a PC version.
I am ignoring the rest of your post because I have no problems with inflation. I have a problem with them trying to instill parity in prices between PC and console games where there is no reason for it to be any.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
JoeBoy101 said:
Now that I have no response for. If there exists some legitimate reason to have that price difference on Steam, then I am unaware of it.
They use the excuse that because games are charged at $99 AUD at retail here, that online prices should reflect that as well and adjust it accordingly depending on the AUD-USD currency rate. Those prices only come from publishers like EA, Activision, Take2 and THQ though.

Thankfully once the stupid demand dies down and "game of the year" editions get released, the prices are a little more swallowable

JoeBoy101

Lostconfused said:
I am ignoring the rest of your post because I have no problems with inflation. I have a problem with them trying to instill parity in prices between PC and console games where there no reason for it to be any.

Fair enough. And again, your right. I'm sure its some crony's thought process of, "Hey, now we can make all games $60 and PC gamers will just have to deal because console player already have to pay it." Motives are surely greed, I just think there's some room to grow before the cost of a game compared to its inherent value (quality aside) enters ripoff land.

speedpop said:
They use the excuse that because games are charged at $99 AUD at retail here, that online prices should reflect that as well and adjust it accordingly depending on the AUD-USD currency rate. Those prices only come from publishers like EA, Activision, Take2 and THQ though.

Thankfully once the stupid demand dies down and "game of the year" editions get released, the prices are a little more swallowable

That uniformly sucks. My sympathies.

JoeBoy101 said:
I just think there's some room to grow before the cost of a game compared to its inherent value (quality aside) enters ripoff land.
This would make more sense if there was a variable pricing model in place. But I do agree that there are some games that I would consider paying more for than I actually did. But that doesn't mean they should be charging more. Because as we have seen that properly managed steam sales can lead to an overall increase in revenue, developers can make money when they charge less as long as they are smart about it and don't blow their budget.

Edit: Arguably its possible that for every digital sale they are making twice as much as they would have for a single sale at retail.

Edit: Anyways at this point the reaction is more emotional than rational. Nobody wants to support EA when they are so clear about trying to screw Steam and PC users in general.

JoeBoy101 said:
No offense man, but computer game prices have been pretty damn steady for a long time. I mean, here is an article from CNN talking about the rise in video game prices on consoles from $50 to $60. Date of the article? September 2004!

And in that article the point is made that AAA games had been at $50 for roughly 20 years. Now, I'm more than willing to jump all over EA/Activision/Etc. for price gouging bullshit, but the truth many gamers don't want to hear is that video/computer game prices are VERY reasonable. Especially given the increase in development costs over the past 5 years. And they are only trying to get parity with console prices. I wanted to rage against this too, but given I paid $50 for X-Com when it was released in 1993, I'm trying to get over myself a bit.
As others have said inflation is one thing, greed is another. My discontent is magnifieddue to EAs treatment of Steam recently and the consolization/ dummying down of the PC versions. I'd have an easier time paying $60 for the games that ironically will be $40-50 like Portal 2 and Red Orchestra 2.

1-D_FTW

I support this hostility towards EA.

I can't belief Shift was completely broken and they're locking 40 events and 3 cars to Shift 2 pre-orders. I don't care how good it turns out, I'm waiting for sub-10 dollars. I don't care if I have to wait 5 years. F them. They've clearly been breaking new ground recently.

1-D_FTW said:
I support this hostility towards EA.

I can't belief Shift was completely broken and they're locking 40 events and 3 cars to Shift 2 pre-orders. I don't care how good it turns out, I'm waiting for sub-10 dollars. I don't care if I have to wait 5 years. F them. They've clearly been breaking new ground recently.
Yup. I am still waiting for Shift 1 to hit $5 and I am a patient man.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
JoeBoy101 said:
Fair enough. And again, your right. I'm sure its some crony's thought process of, "Hey, now we can make all games $60 and PC gamers will just have to deal because console player already have to pay it." Motives are surely greed, I just think there's some room to grow before the cost of a game compared to its inherent value (quality aside) enters ripoff land.
That's not too far from the truth. Prices are not chosen by adding a set profit on top of costs. That's a common business misconception.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, got a new 2TB hard drive, now to move the Steam folder from my current 250GB one to the new drive. Wonder how long this will take.

Minsc

Gold Member
Drkirby said:
Ok, got a new 2TB hard drive, now to move the Steam folder from my current 250GB one to the new drive. Wonder how long this will take.

~20-40 minutes @ 100-200MB/s.

Zachack

Lostconfused said:
I am ignoring the rest of your post because I have no problems with inflation. I have a problem with them trying to instill parity in prices between PC and console games where there is no reason for it to be any.
Console games have the benefit of reduced QA due to a single (usually) hardware/driver specification to target. PC games presumably have higher QA costs.

Shaneus

Does anyone know if those Samsung F4EG drives are suitable for RAID 0? I've read there's a few issues so I'm a little cautious about the whole thing :/

Smash88

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:

They are paying for packing materal, they aren't paying to ship all those boxes of games to stores, they aren't paying a cut to the publisher, the store, etc... They are also paying less per each game sold on the PC. So no I don't find it reasonable for them to be selling games at those prices, and refuse to pay those prices. That is why I wait for steam sales to buy anything, I haven't bought a full priced game in years, because of this.

I was at the Best Buy the other day and both Dawn of War 2 and its expansion was $29.99 a piece, which is $60 total + taxes would be $68. I got it on Steam, tax free for $15 due to a sale. I'm so happy Steam is around as an alternative.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zachack said:
Console games have the benefit of reduced QA due to a single (usually) hardware/driver specification to target. PC games presumably have higher QA costs.
Consoles require much more deliberate optimization to get the most out of the hardware. Even 'optimized' PC games are not really that well optimized.
Plus the entire QA on PC ports probably goes something like this:
"Did we change all the xbox prompts for keyboard prompts"
"Most of them......but they don't change when you configure the keys. And if you plug in a controller they disappear entirely"
"Good enough. Ship it"

Zachack said:
Man that one guy working on the PC port must have had a helluva salary.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Minsc said:
~20-40 minutes @ 100-200MB/s.
Looks like its going to be longer then that. Wish I did some tests before I started moving the files, since I would like to know if it is my old HDD or the new one that is causing 40MB/s transfer speeds.

Can you tell from this?

discs.jpg
dsics2.jpg

coopolon

LovingSteam said:
As others have said inflation is one thing, greed is another. My discontent is magnifieddue to EAs treatment of Steam recently and the consolization/ dummying down of the PC versions.

How has EA been treating Steam recently that has upset you?

legend166

JoeBoy101 said:

You're ignoring the massive price drop that occurred when they stopped using cartridges. They could cost up to $30 to manufacture. That was a large chunk of the price of video games prior to the PS1.

Then the PS1 came out, and games were $40. Then $50 next generation. Now they're $60. So this whole "games haven't increased in price in 20 years!" stuff that everyone seems to peddle simply isn't true. They've increased 50% in 15 years. Whether you believe that was valid or not is up to you.

And now on the PC we've got digital distribution, and it's never been cheaper to release a video game to a wide audience. They don't have to pay manufacturing costs. They don't have to pay supply chain costs. They don't have to pay to print a manual. And, as usual, they don't have to pay licencing fees. Nevermind forgetting at the end of the day these aren't even games developed primarily for the PC. They are console ports that would cost very little to do.

They get more of a cut then they ever did, and now they want to raise prices? No thanks.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Shaneus said:
How's it look on PC? I have it on 360 but if it looks good enough I might jump in.
Now that we can force anti-aliasing (at least on Nvidia cards), Dead Space looks amazing.

My notebook can only handle 2x MSAA @ 1680x1050, but that's all it needs.

Minsc

Gold Member
Drkirby said:
Looks like its going to be longer then that. Wish I did some tests before I started moving the files, since I would like to know if it is my old HDD or the new one that is causing 40MB/s transfer speeds.

Can you tell from this?

Best thing is to get CrystalDiskMark and test the drives, the pictures don't tell me much.

I bet the problem that causes it to take longer than my inaccurate best-case scenario estimate is the non-SSD access time of the drives. A few of my Steam folders have like 1,000,000 files in them, that maybe total a few gigs. If there was 1 file it'd go the 100MB/s, but transferring all those 1,000,000 files individually will probably go much, much slower, as slow as a few MB/s.

1-D_FTW

Minsc said:
Best thing is to get CrystalDiskMark and test the drives, the pictures don't tell me much.

I bet the problem that causes it to take longer than my inaccurate best-case scenario estimate is the non-SSD access time of the drives. A few of my Steam folders have like 1,000,000 files in them, that maybe total a few gigs. If there was 1 file it'd go the 100MB/s, but transferring all those 1,000,000 files individually will probably go much, much slower, as slow as a few MB/s.

Yeah. Like the first thing I did with my new Samsung 1TB 7200RPM was transfer my Steam folder to it. The second thing I did was google what kind of transfer speeds I was supposed to be getting. Windows doesn't deal that great with tons of files. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I was mostly in the 40-60MB/sec range too. I might have hit much faster in spurts, but it was the exception.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, that is done, now to move over the few non-steam games I have to the new drive, anything else that takes up a bunch of space, then defragment the old drive, while installing my steam games.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
legend166 said:
You're ignoring the massive price drop that occurred when they stopped using cartridges. They could cost up to $30 to manufacture. That was a large chunk of the price of video games prior to the PS1.

Then the PS1 came out, and games were $40. Then $50 next generation. Now they're $60. So this whole "games haven't increased in price in 20 years!" stuff that everyone seems to peddle simply isn't true. They've increased 50% in 15 years. Whether you believe that was valid or not is up to you.

And now on the PC we've got digital distribution, and it's never been cheaper to release a video game to a wide audience. They don't have to pay manufacturing costs. They don't have to pay supply chain costs. They don't have to pay to print a manual. And, as usual, they don't have to pay licencing fees. Nevermind forgetting at the end of the day these aren't even games developed primarily for the PC. They are console ports that would cost very little to do.

They get more of a cut then they ever did, and now they want to raise prices? No thanks.
PS1 games were about $60 after adjusting for inflation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zachack said:

But it's very unlikely that those high QA costs have emerged in the last little while, meaning that either we suppose that publishers were "subsidizing" PC QA and still offering lower prices--which I find incredibly unlikely, or we suppose that the recent $10 hike the biggest publishers have given is unrelated.

Javaman

Sales for games are waaay up compared to 15+ years ago. That's why it's silly to argue that prices should keep going up as development prices increase.

I couldn't pass on such a sweet deal. EUIII Complete and Heir to the Throne for 6 bucks total. I have the feeling I'm biting much more than I can chew, though. I've never played a grand strategy game before. Oh well, I'll start with the tutorials at least.

kamspy

Drkirby said:
Well, that is done, now to move over the few non-steam games I have to the new drive, anything else that takes up a bunch of space, then defragment the old drive, while installing my steam games.

You're probably gonna have to reinstall a lot of those.

BigAT

I just got my credit card bill from last month.

VALVE SOFTWARE 425-8899642 WA

Etc.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BigAT said:
I just got my credit card bill from last month.

Etc.

sorry about that, I bought a lot of stuff during the Christmas sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom