• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kifimbo

Mrbob said:
Anyone pick up ARES? Wondering how the full version kept up with the demo.

The game is short. Like 3 hours short. If you liked the demo, you'll like it. More enemies (still too few IMO), new guns, grenades (you have to buy them each time). The bosses are ok I guess.

The jumping mechanic isn't perfect. Better with a controller (Xbox 360 controller support only for now). Some secrets that require to play the levels more than one time. There are in-game Achievements, but they aren't tied to Steam Achievements, which is dumb. Apparently a patch is coming to correct that.

You can see this game was created by a thai studio. English isn't my first language, but I stopped spelling mistakes (like beleive instead of believe).

10$ seems high, considering the quality of some 10$ games on the market (XBLA, PSN, Steam, etc.). At the same time, there isn't a lot of PC game like that.

Archie said:
The new EU3 expansion, Divine Wind, is out on Steam. Also EU3 Complete and Heir to the Throne are 80% off.

Heir to the Throne says I need the Steam version of complete for it to work but can I not just register the key on gamersgate.com like I did with my retail copy of EU3: complete?

Can someone that has bought it try it out please.

Arnie

Fuck Steam.

For the past 30 minutes Steam haven't let me play the copy of Football Manager which I bought because their servers were having trouble. This is the problem with digital distribution, if I have about an hour to play a game in between revision breaks I can't be fucking around waiting for Valve to pull their metaphorical finger from out of their metaphorical arse holes.

The worst part is I actually have the physical disk but due to the way the game works when you install it you either have to choose Steam and not worry about the disk being in the tray, or you have to insert the disk every time you wish to play.

Arnie said:
Fuck Steam.

For the past 30 minutes Steam haven't let me play the copy of Football Manager which I bought because their servers were having trouble. This is the problem with digital distribution, if I have about an hour to play a game in between revision breaks I can't be fucking around waiting for Valve to pull their metaphorical finger from out of their metaphorical arse holes.

The worst part is I actually have the physical disk but due to the way the game works when you install it you either have to choose Steam and not worry about the disk being in the tray, or you have to insert the disk every time you wish to play.

I had that problem once and I changed my download location and things worked, although I wasn't downloading the game. Did you try that?

sohois

Arnie said:
Fuck Steam.

Couldn't you have just gone offline on steam and played it then? Alternately, No-CD cracks are legal in some countries if i recall correctly, if you live in one of those countries you could have just used one of those instead of using the steam install.

Blizzard

Banned
sohois said:
Couldn't you have just gone offline on steam and played it then? Alternately, No-CD cracks are legal in some countries if i recall correctly, if you live in one of those countries you could have just used one of those instead of using the steam install.
I seem to recall that in order to play a Steam game offline, you must first launch it while in online mode so that it authenticates. Changing the download region might indeed help, I would think.

After it authenticates once, it SHOULDN'T have that problem again...but not that I think about it, I think there may have actually been some rare occasions where normal, regularly played games like TF2 had problems launching due to lots of people playing. If Arnie has already played the game before than this might be the problem.

Arnie

sohois said:
I tried going offline and the problem persisted, it was just fucked. I don't have the time to hassle around and start changing download locations, especially when I'm not even downloading anything, I already own the game, the physical copy in fact but I have to go through shitty Steam to play it.

EDIT: Fuck this. Two hours later and it's still doing it, no matter what download region I set it to. Such bullshit. The worst part is just after the server message pops up, another message pops up behind it saying game files 100% verified. So whatever it's trying to do is actually happening successfully but it just won't allow the game to start for some ludicrous reason. I hate Steam, I really do. Why does all this have to happen, one minute it's fine, the next it's not.

dLMN8R

Arnie said:
I tried going offline and the problem persisted, it was just fucked. I don't have the time to hassle around and start changing download locations, especially when I'm not even downloading anything, I already own the game, the physical copy in fact but I have to go through shitty Steam to play it.

EDIT: Fuck this. Two hours later and it's still doing it, no matter what download region I set it to. Such bullshit. The worst part is just after the server message pops up, another message pops up behind it saying game files 100% verified. So whatever it's trying to do is actually happening successfully but it just won't allow the game to start for some ludicrous reason. I hate Steam, I really do. Why does all this have to happen, one minute it's fine, the next it's not.
Chill the fuck out and spend a couple seconds actually trying the fixes people are proposing to you instead of going on an endless rant about problems that everyone knows the service has (but avoids because they can take a fucking breath and take 2 seconds to do a tiny work-around)

Arnie said:

That's happened to me a couple of times, I think I fixed it by restarting my PC.

Arnie

dLMN8R said:
Chill the fuck out and spend a couple seconds actually trying the fixes people are proposing to you instead of going on an endless rant about problems that everyone knows the service has (but avoids because they can take a fucking breath and take 2 seconds to do a tiny work-around)
I did both the fixes people proposed and already said they didn't work, try reading.

Turns out I had to delete the .ncf files and get Steam to download them again. A needless hassle which stopped me from playing my game during an evening of limited time. Sums up why I'm not a big PC gamer really.

Blizzard

Banned
Arnie said:
I did both the fixes people proposed and already said they didn't work, try reading.

Turns out I had to delete the .ncf files and get Steam to download them again. A needless hassle which stopped me from playing my game during an evening of limited time. Sums up why I'm not a big PC gamer really.
I agree that it's annoying. It wouldn't make you happy to hear it, but that's hardly ever happened to me, so maybe you are the (unfortunate) minority. I'm glad you found a workaround.

G-Fex

Anyone see Dungeons? It looks neato.

I always wanted to play one of those dungeon making games, they any good?

G-Fex said:

Yeah, Dungeons looks like a shameless ripoff of the Dungeon Keeper games. I guess it would be nice to play it in HD, but at the same time it does kind of bother me how much of a straight ripoff it appears to be.

I dunno, I'll probably wait for a $5 sale.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
G-Fex said:

Well the games it seems to be directly copying, Dungeon Keeper 1/2, are amazing, so if it just sticks right to the formula it could end up pretty awesome.

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, Dungeons looks like a shameless ripoff of the Dungeon Master games. I guess it would be nice to play it in HD, but at the same time it does kind of bother me how much of a straight ripoff it appears to be.

EA has been sitting on the franchise for years and not doing anything with it, in situations like that I welcome rip offs.

JoeBoy101

LovingSteam said:
As others have said inflation is one thing, greed is another. My discontent is magnifieddue to EAs treatment of Steam recently and the consolization/ dummying down of the PC versions. I'd have an easier time paying $60 for the games that ironically will be $40-50 like Portal 2 and Red Orchestra 2.

A fair point. And like its been pointed out, the greed is palpable from this increase. I'm probably just trying to optimistically rationalize it because I know I want Dead Space 2. :)

G-Fex

I need to check out dungeonkeeper then. I know there's a dungeon making game on PSP but I always wanted to try them since I've known of some on the PC.

kamspy said:
Run that UAC slider all the way down and try to boot the games. OpenGL should be fine on a 450. In my experience, ATi has the OpenGL problems.

Bit late, but I love you. Riddick is running just fine now. Strange that UAC and Windows notifications were the bane of the game's existence.

Now I just need to test the suggestions for Alpha Protocol...

Thanks again.

G-Fex said:
I need to check out dungeonkeeper then. I know there's a dungeon making game on PSP but I always wanted to try them since I've known of some on the PC.

Yeah, it's called Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground. It's actually pretty good, though it's quite a bit different than Dungeon Keeper, in fact, it's got a lot in common with Reccetear.

Sinatar said:
EA has been sitting on the franchise for years and not doing anything with it, in situations like that I welcome rip offs.

Meh, I guess if it's EA I don't mind as much.

hamchan

My take on this $60 vs $50 thing is that publishers should be charging at the price point at which their revenue is maximized. If that price is $60 then that sucks for us but I can't blame them for it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, Dungeons looks like a shameless ripoff of the Dungeon Keeper games. I guess it would be nice to play it in HD, but at the same time it does kind of bother me how much of a straight ripoff it appears to be.

I dunno, I'll probably wait for a $5 sale.
I wish it was but it's not. It branches the gameplay off in a completely different direction.

Javaman

Sinatar said:
Well the games it seems to be directly copying, Dungeon Keeper 1/2, are amazing, so if it just sticks right to the formula it could end up pretty awesome.

Does this new game let you possess and control your creatures like in the early DK games

Arnie

Blizzard said:
I agree that it's annoying. It wouldn't make you happy to hear it, but that's hardly ever happened to me, so maybe you are the (unfortunate) minority. I'm glad you found a workaround.
Yea it hasn't ever done it to me in the four or so years I've been using Steam. I suppose it just frustrated me because of the time constraints at that current moment, so instead of spending the little time I had between working managing Liverpool on Football Manager, I was tinkering with settings, finding solutions and re downloading software.

It's fixed now though, so I'm ready for some serious game time tonight.

Minsc

Gold Member
Arnie said:
Yea it hasn't ever done it to me in the four or so years I've been using Steam. I suppose it just frustrated me because of the time constraints at that current moment, so instead of spending the little time I had between working managing Liverpool on Football Manager, I was tinkering with settings, finding solutions and re downloading software.

It's fixed now though, so I'm ready for some serious game time tonight.

I went to play Bayonetta on the 360 the other day in what little time I had to game yesterday, had to wait around 20 minutes for various patching/updates. There's no way around it these days.

Flambe

*sigh*

So old Mobo crashed and I got new parts including a SSD so I could just use my 1TB for Data/programs (it had an OS partition on it before)

Steam is on the Programs partition.

Put new OS on my SSD, deleted old OS partition to extend that into my Programs one.

Ran steam, booted up a game. Turns out all my fucking saves were on the old OS partition, fuckity fuck :(

I was probably 1-2 hours from finishing New Vegas, up to World 3 in super meat boy with all A+, 15 hours into Darksiders, 5 hours into Divinity II, 5 hours into Just Cause II, 10 hours of Warband, few hours into Recettear.

Fuck my life

MNC

clientregistry.blob should be mandatory advice for just about anything, although you already got it fixed by now..

Aaron

SapientWolf said:
I wish it was but it's not. It branches the gameplay off in a completely different direction.
I feel like they did that just to avoid being called a straight clone... and yeah, I wish they had just done a straight clone. Serving the heroes business is lame.

hamchan said:
My take on this $60 vs $50 thing is that publishers should be charging at the price point at which their revenue is maximized. If that price is $60 then that sucks for us but I can't blame them for it.

I have no problem with $60 games provided that they add value to the PC software justify the price hike (since there are no licensing fees). Of course at the same time, don't expect me as a consumer to buy more games if that's the case.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well it took 2 days, but now every Steam game is installed (Except the two MMOs from the SE pack)

Steam.png

Forkball

Drkirby said:
Well it took 2 days, but now every Steam game is installed (Except the two MMOs from the SE pack)

Steam.png
Dear god. Do you run Steam off an external harddrive? I heard there might be performance issues if you do that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nope, that is my new 2TB Internal hard Drive. I just dragged the Steam folder from the C drive to the new drive, which is mainly going to be used for games and Data.

Now to install the 5 GFWL games I have, the $1 Ubisoft games, and those Telltale games I have.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SteelAttack said:
Weird. I'm getting some random crashes with EUIII.

Thats normal. The tutorial ALWAYS crashes when retrying another tutorial. And in my (german) version I had to change the language to be able to actually play it without crashing every 30 seconds after 10 in game years. Love this game though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
sam27368 said:
As in every game on the store?! Or every game in your collection?
Collection. The store adds up to much more than that. When I used to have everything on my Steam account installed it came out to around 1.3 terabytes.

I need help, Steam won't open because it say i'm running it in compatability mode which i'm not. I just reinstalled Steam and I'm getting the same thing. What the hell

Rufus

Cat in the Hat said:
I need help, Steam won't open because it say i'm running it in compatability mode which i'm not. I just reinstalled Steam and I'm getting the same thing. What the hell
Are you running one of your installed games in compatibility mode? That would be my only idea, but even then, Steam just bitches, I think.

There's a possibility I'm not remembering this right, but it's still worth a try.

Rufus said:
Are you running one of your installed games in compatibility mode? That would be my only idea, but even then, Steam just bitches, I think.

There's a possibility I'm not remembering this right, but it's still worth a try.
That may be it but I uninstalled Steam so there are no games in the folder

Blizzard

Banned
Cat in the Hat said:
I think I had that once and it drove me nuts, after I was trying to get some old game to work. I think I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling, and of course I was stupid since it didn't warn me about deleting the game files too, and I presumably lost a ton of installed games and maybe a few save files. :p

You might try right clicking the Steam executable and looking through the properties/advanced properties to make sure no compatibility stuff is turned on. I dunno. Alternatively, I think I may have searched through the registry for Steam.exe and fixed something manually that way. Whatever it was, it was a huge pain once it got broken to fix it back.

Rufus

Any remnants? It's unlikely, but I'm out of ideas... Really sure it's not set to compatibility mode? Nothing's checked in the compatibility tab? You could try setting one, try and run it, then unset it. It might reset - something...

Well I have that Morrowind 2011 mod installed which took like 2 hours so I didn't delete that. That might be it cause I remember I had to change some things to install it.

Damnit I'm gonna have to delete aren't I? Well I'll try that, all I want to do is fricken buy Dead Space jeez Valve

Fredescu

Does uninstalling Steam remove your clientregistry.blob? If not, try deleting it. If it does, hell, try deleting it again anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
Cat in the Hat said:
Well I have that Morrowind 2011 mod installed which took like 2 hours so I didn't delete that. That might be it cause I remember I had to change some things to install it.

Damnit I'm gonna have to delete aren't I? Well I'll try that, all I want to do is fricken buy Dead Space jeez Valve
If you do have to uninstall, copy everything in the steamapps directory to a different folder. Then to reinstall, copy it all back, and it should significantly reduce the reinstall time.

By the way, guy who had your account locked, did you ever get it back? I didn't hear anything more.

Rufus

Cat in the Hat said:
Damnit I'm gonna have to delete aren't I?
Try moving the folder. I have modded Morrowind as well and set compatibility setting, but it's not given me any problems so far.

Zizbuka

Banned
Arnie said:

Ah, so you're just a console fanboy. You should definitely never use Steam again, and not come back to this thread. QQ

Fredescu

Zizbuka said:
Ah, so you're just a console fanboy. You should definitely never use Steam again, and not come back to this thread. QQ
A guy couldn't run the game that he wanted when he wanted. Quick, attack him!

Zizbuka

Banned
Drkirby said:
Nope, that is my new 2TB Internal hard Drive. I just dragged the Steam folder from the C drive to the new drive, which is mainly going to be used for games and Data.

Now to install the 5 GFWL games I have, the $1 Ubisoft games, and those Telltale games I have.

I never use the GUI to copy lots of files, always use xcopy. Hopefully they left xcopy in Win7.

Blizzard

Banned
Zizbuka said:
No, attack him because he spent more time here bitching then trying to solve the problem.
...? He reinstalled Steam and then posted. Reinstalling probably took more time than posting, but I guess mayb not.

Cat in the Hat, did you try the manual clientregistry.blob deletion too? I'm pretty sure it won't work. Actually, now that I think about it I seem to recall reinstalling Steam like you did and it still didn't fix it for me. In my case I think I was messing around with compatibility settings for some specific Steam game, though...had you done anything like that?

Anyway, if you're up for it, try running the registry editor and search for all occurrences of Steam.exe. If you find any of them and they look at all related to compatibility settings, you could try making a backup of your registry and then deleting those keys.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Zizbuka said:
I never use the GUI to copy lots of files, always use xcopy. Hopefully they left xcopy in Win7.
That may of been a better idea, but I didn't really think of it at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom