• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

I dont get the pricing on Steam sometimes. On one end you get some amazing deals on games and then on the complete opposite, they are so far off the mark on other games. For example, Fallout Vegas has been $29.99 at retail for a long time and as of early last week it is now $19.99 at retail and on Steam....$49.99??? I mean, even it was close to what retail had the game for the last few months I could understand, but to be that over-priced is just shocking to me.

Luckily, the deals outweigh some of these odd-ball ones like Fallout Vegas.

Fredescu

Fix The Scientist said:
Left 4 Dead 2 has single player and that is the majority of what i will be playing.
Then you're about to feel ripped off a second time I'd say. Anyway, which country are you from? A while back in the AusGAF thread, people sent each other disks of their Steam backups for games so they wouldn't have to download them and blow their cap. If you're from Australia we might be able to find someone with a patched up L4D2 willing to send you some disks.

Mrbob

Hawk269 said:
I dont get the pricing on Steam sometimes. On one end you get some amazing deals on games and then on the complete opposite, they are so far off the mark on other games. For example, Fallout Vegas has been $29.99 at retail for a long time and as of early last week it is now $19.99 at retail and on Steam....$49.99??? I mean, even it was close to what retail had the game for the last few months I could understand, but to be that over-priced is just shocking to me.

Well it is up to the publisher to change prices on Steam, but I agree MSRP changes are sometimes slow on Steam versus retail. Good thing about New Vegas is the game is Steamworks so you can buy any copy and activate it on Steam.

Kevin

Yeah I know what you mean. They are still selling Wolfenstein at $40 when I've seen that for $5 before. lol It's one of those titles I've wanted to play but not at the full pricetag. :p

Sober

Hawk269 said:

New Vegas is Steamworks so retail would be the better deal anyway.

IMO just look for the better deal. I love Steam and all but if it's much cheaper than on Steam it's pretty much a no brainer; I'm not going to certain lengths if the "get it on steam instead tax" is that much more for a non-Steamworks game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Fix The Scientist said:
Left 4 Dead 2 has single player and that is the majority of what i will be playing.

Have you played Left4Dead single player? It is awful, utterly awful.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, this was a couple months ago but Pawnstop was selling New Vegas PC for $20 so I got a great deal on it. Steamworks support helps a ton since you can keep an eye out for retail sales as well.

camerooni

Neo Member
Sinatar said:
Have you played Left4Dead single player? It is awful, utterly awful.

He kinda can't.. that's sort of the point of his original post that started this whole thing ;)

And personally - I've only ever played L4D2 singleplayer except when over at a mates place and we're physically playing multiplayer in the same room. I subscribe to the penny-arcade internet random theory ;)

camerooni

Neo Member
More important question:

When will steam let me selectively enable/disable DLC..? It seems I can't even individually delete DLC and they'd much rather an all or nothing scenario :/

dc89

bigjimmystyle said:
Is Arma II worth the plunge? How's the single player? Is Operation Arrowhead much of an improvement or just more of the same?

I played the Op Arrowhead demo off steam and was really impressed with it. It's my kind of shooter. F' up and your dead kind of game play.

I was told In the ARMA II thread that the demo is a old build and I'd be more impressed with the game as it is now.

LQX

Fix The Scientist said:
I too bought it for single player and you will be disappointed. What a waste. Everything is unlocked form the beginning and you never really get the feeling you are progressing as you would in a game that reveals each chapter gradually as you progress.

So Darkspore is pretty fun. It's an interesting take on a fairly well trodden path of the dungeon crawling loot action rpg (should we just be saying Diablo-like at this point?) with the sci-fi angle. Throw in the rock-paper-scissor mechanics of team building and hero use (you'll have to switch your hero on the fly based on what you encounter in a dungeon) and you've got a fairly interesting dungeon crawler.

There's a fair number of heroes to unlock and Darkspore makes use of a light version of Spore's creature creator that allows you not just to customise where you place gear on your hero, you can shape and alter the look of that gear in a limited fashion, you can also screw around with your hero's proportions to a degree. Gear is how you level up your heroes and experience goes to your level, the player, the Crogenitor's level. This allows you to unlock more heroes as you level up. Which gives you more options for your team composition. It's kind of like Pokemon, but with giant freakish aliens.

I just wish I didn't have to build an EA friend list to have in parallel with my Steam one. Not that there's the threat of too many people buying this game, looks like Darkspore is going to fly under everyone's radar. If you do manage to play with friends, or randoms, you actually get an experience boost.

As for the current topic of the thread.

1) Complaining about gigs of free content updates in the era of nickle and diming. Wow.

2) There is no single player campaign in either Left 4 Dead. There may be some bullet point somewhere that says otherwise, but it's a lie. You're playing with bots and that will make you very sad and/or angry. Which oddly isn't all that different from playing with people.

Aselith

Mr Nightman said:
just snagged arma2, just wondering how well it will run on my rig:
Phenom 2 x4 945 3Ghz
4gb ddr3 1333
gtx 460 768mb
1080p res

Would love to know how this ran as I'm running on something similar.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
Followup on a Steam IM conversation I had earlier:

Is there a list of "borderless fullscreen" games on Steam? It's really awesome when you've got dual monitors to be able to play a game in full screen on one monitor while not losing focus on the other monitor.
We could start making one. That same reason is why I enable it on all Valve games. The only thing that sucks is when it screw up, at time TF2 suddenly decides it has a "Stay on top" feature enabled.

Between us all we should own just about every steam game.

Edti: Alright, set up a basic form and spreadsheet if anyone wants to contribute to building some sort of list:

Form

Spread Sheet

plc268

Drkirby said:
We could start making one. That same reason is why I enable it on all Valve games. The only thing that sucks is when it screw up, at time TF2 suddenly decides it has a "Stay on top" feature enabled.

Between us all we should own just about every steam game.

Edti: Alright, set up a basic form and spreadsheet if anyone wants to contribute to building some sort of list:

Form

Spread Sheet

Apparently you can run Fallout 3 (and maybe NV too) on a borderless window.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=45

Not sure if it works with the steam version. I'd have to install it later to find out, but if someone out there wants to try, go for it.

From the latest Steamcast post on Facebook:

Good things come to those who wait. We have 3 surpises for you avid listeners who are soaked dry and have been thursting to hear our voices. We have 3 little suprises for you guys this week. Two of them being epiosde 56 and 57 and one (providing Valve approves it) being... well... we are not at liberty to say. In the mean time, this is where we get off.

Stay tuned.

https://www.facebook.com/Steamcast/posts/10150232678326830

I wonder what's the surprise that Valve has to approve on before it gets revealed.

Echoplx

To anyone that picked up the Arma 2 games, play the tutorials in OA and ignore the vanilla game, all the mechanics are much easier to learn with OA.

Haeleos

Pandoracell said:
So is the base MP component not worthwhile? Or just that most will get more out of the game with a clan and good custom content?

I can only speak for the base co-op MP. It's the reason I purchased it, and I haven't tried the adversarial stuff since I'm not really a fan of competitive FPS games. Players in my old squad used to play it, though, and from overhearing their conversations, they seemed to really enjoy it.

Vanilla ARMA II's single player is really not worth the time, either. For me, I had been looking for a game like the original Ghost Recons, and I figure I got more than my money's worth after figuring out the Mission Editor. You can even create custom PvP games as well if you wish ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPHY_5OnKIs ).

It lets you basically create the kind of game that you want from it. The base game allows you to load up the overworld map(s) and create custom missions, enemy placement and objectives. You don't need any mods for that, and if you can find a group or have a group of friends to play with, you will never go back to playing the game solo.

The game to me is the military shooter equivalent of being a DM for Dungeons & Dragons. One guy creates a mission, invites friends to a server, and you all play through it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Did you guys notice that new Indie game on the coming soon list called Capsized? Looks pretty sweet:
Capsized is a fast paced 2D platformer focused on intense action and exploration. As a intrepid space traveler, your ship has crash landed on a mysterious alien planet. You must navigate through the perilous environment and fight off blood-thirsty creatures to save your crewmates and escape with your lives!

Oh yeah, it has Steam Achievements, Cloud Saves, Controller Support, and Local Co-op AND A DEMO coming soon. Shit looks hot.

ss_216aeb89cf12841e61adc08f492cc24caeee7b8d.1920x1080.jpg

Nabs

pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

The screenshots on the store page look pretty nice. I can't wait for the demo.

desu

e_i said:
Coming in two days...but you can't preorder it yet?

Seems kinda normal, at least its not the first time happening.

Seen this game quite a few times already, didnt expect this warm welcome for it here xD.

Gunsmithx

Stallion Free said:
That's what grabbed my attention initially. Then it reminded me of Aquaria's art and I felt guilty for never beating it :(

That's exactly what I thought and I, also, am guilty of the same... maybe after trails is done...

AcridMeat

Banned
Hooray, it comes out when I have some time again to game! Love the style.

edit: I've told some gaffers about this already, but for those into sim racing games, exciting add-on for Race 07.
retro_full1.jpeg

Cars:
1968 Volvo Amazon
1972 Volvo P1800 ES
1971 BMW 2002
1968 Mini Cooper S
1971 Opel Commodore GS 3001
1973 BMW 3.0 CSL
1974 Chevrolet Corvette
1970 Chevrolet Camaro

Tracks:
Hillclimb Stage
Poznan

Source

edit: Thanks for the info markao, shame it needs more time. TBA release.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've had the Arma 2 games for a while...I figured I'd give them a shot again with the sale.

Nope.

The controls are just downright awful. They're so incredibly obtuse for no reason whatsoever. The mismatched vertical/horizontal sensitivity was also annoying...though I fixed that after a few minutes of tweaking.

At least it runs well on my new rig.

Sanic

What site(s) do you guys recommend in order to find a good group to play with in ARMA? And should I really avoid ARMA II and just get OA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom