• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I wonder if they let you use a controller in Capsized (using the right analog stick to aim instead of the mouse). Edit: Oh okay the Steam page says you can. Awesome, not a fan of mouse aiming in sidescrollers. But if the gamepad controls literally equals still moving a cursor around with the analog stick (as opposed to aiming in a direction like a twin-stick shooter), then I'll just stick with the mouse.

markao

AcridMeat said:
Hooray, it comes out when I have some time again to game! Love the style.

edit: I've told some gaffers about this already, but for those into sim racing games, exciting add-on this Thursday for Race 07.
http://
www.raceroom.net/media/images/news/retro_full1.jpeg

Not this Thursday, read on their RaceRoom forum that they needed a little bit more time to fix some issues with the Hill climb stuff, so release is: T.B.A.

Hello Everyone,

We want to give you a little advanced notice here in the forum. The release of the Retro Expansion has been postponed.

The simple explanation is that we want to have proper hill-climb support for both online and offline gameplay, to be able to achieve this we need additional time to ensure we deliver a solid package.

More information about the release will be available soon, but for now we wanted to let you know that the release would not come this week as scheduled.

We do apologize for this delay. We know so many of you are excited for this pack. It is for that reason though that we want to make sure to deliver the best product possible upon release.

Shaneus

What's the verdict on Race 07? Simmy? Can it be dumbed down for maximum fun on a controller? That classics pack looks pretty sweet...

If you are thinking about buying Hector then just to let you know, it's great. Played it on iOS last year and it's really funny in a british way, but also only 2 hours long and even less then that once you know where to go and what to do.

Salsa

Shaneus said:
What's the verdict on Race 07? Simmy? Can it be dumbed down for maximum fun on a controller? That classics pack looks pretty sweet...

Ask AcridMeat, he's hooked to that shit

markao

Shaneus said:
Simmy, but SimBin has always cared about pad users and I think that their effort on Xbox (RacePro) was ok with a pad aswell.

But beeing a steering wheel/pedal user myself, maybe AcridMeat can give you some pad user experience.

I made a horrendous noob mistake tonight. About a week ago on here I posted about that account credentials expired thing and put a ticket in to steam support. They got back to me today (thanks for the timely 7 day response by the way) with a way to fix it, which was deleting everything in the steam folder other than steamapps and the steam.exe thing.

My fuckup was there were 2 steam icons right next to each other, 1 was the application and 1 was just an icon but they looked the same and, in a classic example of not paying attention, I deleted the wrong one. So when I went to redownload steam it had to delete steamapps and I now have to redownload all 65ish games I had installed, and who knows how many didn't save in a seperate location from the main folder.

Yay rookie mistakes. Worst part is that since that original issue 7 days ago everything seemed to have been working fine so I don't even know why I went ahead and did it. I guess I wanted to make 100% sure everything was fine.

Here's to the next 3 days or so of redownloading everything :\

InertiaXr

Ickman3400 said:
So when I went to redownload steam it had to delete steamapps and I now have to redownload all 65ish games I had installed, and who knows how many didn't save in a seperate location from the main folder.

This shouldn't be a problem, I've never heard of any Steam games that install to anywhere besides the normal steamapps location, in fact that's part of the reason I enjoy using Steam in the first place. Anyways the redownloading stuff does suck, any idea how big your Steam folder was originally? Hope you don't have a strict bandwidth cap...

Zzoram said:
Don't redownload every game. Just the ones you want to play.

That's the thing, those 65 games were ones I was either playing or getting ready to soon. The other 40-50 were uninstalled.

InertiaXr said:
any idea how big your Steam folder was originally?

About 500gb lol.... :(

Thankfully I don't have a cap but my speed on 1 game tops out at 1.2mb/s so it's going to take a while.

AcridMeat

Banned
Shaneus said:

You don't even need to dumb it down for 360 pad. As 1-D_FTW said, I've been using the controller and it has been fine. Though since I've gotten addicted to it again, I'm waiting for the right price on a DFGT now. One thing I will say, which is of no fault to the game itself, is that there just isn't as much feedback on braking with the controller as I'd like. Or rather, it's hard to feather braking with such a small range of movement.

I love the fact that things like counter-steering and shifting the weight of the car actually matters. Great fun, plus the base game is dirt cheap.

Shaneus

AcridMeat said:
You don't even need to dumb it down for 360 pad. As 1-D_FTW said, I've been using the controller and it has been fine. Though since I've gotten addicted to it again, I'm waiting for the right price on a DFGT now. One thing I will say, which is of no fault to the game itself, is that there just isn't as much feedback on braking with the controller as I'd like. Or rather, it's hard to feather braking with such a small range of movement.

I love the fact that things like counter-steering and shifting the weight of the car actually matters. Great fun, plus the base game is dirt cheap.
Sweet, thanks! That pack they just announced looks kinda awesome and should tide me over sim(ish)-wise until Forza 4.

Twig

Banned
sykoex said:
Arkham Asylum takes place in a cohesive overworld with backtracking and stuff? I'd actually be pretty interested in it then.
Yes. It's really good. I bought it not expecting much. It's really, really good. I'm excited for the sequel now. X:

Echoplx

TheExodu5 said:
I've had the Arma 2 games for a while...I figured I'd give them a shot again with the sale.

Nope.

The controls are just downright awful. They're so incredibly obtuse for no reason whatsoever. The mismatched vertical/horizontal sensitivity was also annoying...though I fixed that after a few minutes of tweaking.

At least it runs well on my new rig.

Did you play the original or OA? I had the same problem with the base game, but as soon as i tried OA i picked everything up really easily, the controls are still a bit obtuse but everything is explained and demonstrated much better.

bigace33

sykoex said:
Arkham Asylum takes place in a cohesive overworld with backtracking and stuff? I'd actually be pretty interested in it then.
lol you just described it to a T. One of the best games ever in my opinion.

Amazon has the physical version of Darksiders for $8 and it can be registered on Steam. I didn't see it mentioned so I thought I'd let anyone wanting the game know.

Salsa

I just got Bloody Good Time by mistake (dont ask) and there is not a single person playing.

Well there goes 5 bucks.. :/

edit: fuck. Worst part is that its great T_T

We should get something going in Community..

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
If someone can get a GAF community going for BGT I'd love it because the fews games I played a few months back were amazing.

It took me a few hours but I'm really getting into and enjoying Risen. I've never played any of the Gothic games and was wondering which would be worth playing still. I already know that I'm supposed to avoid Gothic IV since it wasn't developed by Piranha Bytes and is apparently total shit, but how do the older games hold up?

vocab

Mr_Guillotine said:
Yup, got it when it first came out and even then there was barely anyone playing it. Was a fun game but I really enjoyed The Ship a bit more.

When it first came out, there were 400-600 people playing it. I got it for $3, and played it for about 10 mins. I had no idea what the hell was going on.

vocab said:
When it first came out, there were 400-600 people playing it. I got it for $3, and played it for about 10 mins. I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Yeah, me and a friend got it and about a week or two after and there was hardly anyone on. Fun game once you get the hang of it though.

Dynoro

jaundicejuice said:
It took me a few hours but I'm really getting into and enjoying Risen. I've never played any of the Gothic games and was wondering which would be worth playing still. I already know that I'm supposed to avoid Gothic IV since it wasn't developed by Piranha Bytes and is apparently total shit, but how do the older games hold up?
Not Steam but Gothic II is cheap on gog.com this weekend (4 bucks instead of 6) so might be worth a go to see if you like the series. It gets 4.5/5 on their user ratings too; so can't be all bad.

Twig

Banned
SalsaShark said:
I just got Bloody Good Time by mistake
I can only imagined you tripped and fell on your mouse, flopped around wildly in an attempt to save grace (you had a friend over and wanted to pretend you were just being goofy and didn't actually fall, not really), accidentally clicked the button multiple times, knocked a cup of coffee onto your keyboard while flopping, grabbed a paper towel, cleaned the keyboard up while it was still plugged in (and it still worked) - inputting your credit card info in the process - and then absent-mindedly clicked the Purchase Now button because you forgot it wasn't intentional.

Salsa

Twig said:
I can only imagined you tripped and fell on your mouse, flopped around wildly in an attempt to save grace (you had a friend over and wanted to pretend you were just being goofy and didn't actually fall, not really), accidentally clicked the button multiple times, knocked a cup of coffee onto your keyboard while flopping, grabbed a paper towel, cleaned the keyboard up while it was still plugged in (and it still worked) - inputting your credit card info in the process - and then absent-mindedly clicked the Purchase Now button because you forgot it wasn't intentional.

was in the cart with something else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom