• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

My brother did that once. When they had that sale with all the crazy 8 packs and such, he bought a big pack of Portals instead of one copy for himself. He couldn't have picked a more useless pack to accidentally buy.

AcridMeat

Banned
Twig said:
I can only imagined you tripped and fell on your mouse, flopped around wildly in an attempt to save grace (you had a friend over and wanted to pretend you were just being goofy and didn't actually fall, not really), accidentally clicked the button multiple times, knocked a cup of coffee onto your keyboard while flopping, grabbed a paper towel, cleaned the keyboard up while it was still plugged in (and it still worked) and then absent-mindedly clicked on SalsaShark's name because you forgot it wasn't intentional.

Fixed for truth, this is exactly how I gifted the other copy of Portal 2 from my 2-pack to SalsaShark. I was defeated that day gentlemen.

krzy123

jaundicejuice said:
It took me a few hours but I'm really getting into and enjoying Risen. I've never played any of the Gothic games and was wondering which would be worth playing still. I already know that I'm supposed to avoid Gothic IV since it wasn't developed by Piranha Bytes and is apparently total shit, but how do the older games hold up?

Well currently I'm playing Gothic II Gold right now, first off I've never played Risen so I can't make comparisons. Gothic II seemed to be designed for keyboard only, w/ some mouse controls. This game is hard as hell in the beginning (I hear vanilla Gothic II isn't too bad), since this was my first Gothic game there was a learning curve.

I ended up using some guides I found online, to build my character properly (you can screw this up and ended up doing alot of grinding) and how to basically play. Game is mostly have finding enemies and quests that you can defeat/complete for your level. I've probably died 50+ times wandering into enemies that I couldn't handle. There is some grinding if you want to. It harkens back to the no hand holding games of the past. For $5-10 there is a shitload of content that I would take a flyer on them.

Sanic

SalsaShark said:
I just got Bloody Good Time by mistake (dont ask) and there is not a single person playing.

Well there goes 5 bucks.. :/

edit: fuck. Worst part is that its great T_T

We should get something going in Community..

I loved The Ship. It's a shame what happened to Outerlight :(. I may pick this up and join this group.

Although, what's with the store page referring to Valve as 'the Valve'? :p

Gvaz

Banned
People are complaining about free content now? Jesus you can't please anyone.
sykoex said:
Arkham Asylum takes place in a cohesive overworld with backtracking and stuff? I'd actually be pretty interested in it then.
Batman is easily a 4.5/5 for me, and this is coming from someone who hardly would call any game a 5 because I usually am pretty critical of games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Princess Skittles said:
Are demos permanently stuck in your games list on Steam?

That seems odd.
No, you should just be able to delete them. I just deleted the Space Chem Demo, and poof, gone from the list.

kamspy

Drkirby said:
No, you should just be able to delete them. I just deleted the Space Chem Demo, and poof, gone from the list.

Race 07 demo has been on my list for years. Can't delete it. Hell, it even updates sometimes.

Note to fans of getting PC games over internetz, Test Drive 2 is $9 at D2D. There's a big DLC pack (free) coming out in the next week or so.

kamspy said:
Race 07 demo has been on my list for years. Can't delete it. Hell, it even updates sometimes.

Note to fans of getting PC games over internetz, Test Drive 2 is $9 at D2D. There's a big DLC pack (free) coming out in the next week or so.
This happened to me with the GTR demo. It was stuck on my steam list for quite a long time. I was just recently able to remove it. What I did was find the folder where GTR had been installed on my computer, and just deleted that manually. After I restarted Steam and my computer, it was gone from my games list. :D I don't know why I didn't try that earlier.

3chopl0x said:
rightclick -> delete local content

That's how i get rid of demos.
This works with most games, but it didn't with GTR demo.

kamspy

BentMyWookiee said:
This happened to me with the GTR demo. It was stuck on my steam list for quite a long time. I was just recently able to remove it. What I did was find the folder where GTR had been installed on my computer, and just deleted that manually. After I restarted Steam and my computer, it was gone from my games list. :D I don't know why I didn't try that earlier.

Tried that. There isn't a Race 07 file on my computer other than the shortcut in my Steam links. It's like it's embedded itself into Windows.

krzy123

Rollo Larson said:
is there a reason the last remnant never goes on sale?

It used too, dunno about recently but I picked it up for $10. They probably didn't see a big bump the last time it went on sale.

Rollo Larson said:
is there a reason the last remnant never goes on sale?
I bought it on sale for €10.

Edit: The Square-Enix complete pack was 88% off last holiday sale. You might want to wait for one of those instead.

1-D_FTW

kamspy said:
Tried that. There isn't a Race 07 file on my computer other than the shortcut in my Steam links. It's like it's embedded itself into Windows.

For me it's the GTR: Evolution demo. Nothing short of a Windows reformat is going to remove this it seems. I've done the delete local content, deleted with Windows uninstall, deleted all related folders manually. The stupid thing just won't eliminate itself from the Steam directory.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Drkirby said:
Well, that's simple enough. Thanks.

I might be thinking of something else lingering on my list.. Team Fortress 2 Beta or something?

Bah, I'll deal with it later.

bigace33

1-D_FTW said:
For me it's the GTR: Evolution demo. Nothing short of a Windows reformat is going to remove this it seems. I've done the delete local content, deleted with Windows uninstall, deleted all related folders manually. The stupid thing just won't eliminate itself from the Steam directory.
Advanced Uninstaller will hunt that file down like a dog and devour it. Seriously, it's great for sniffing out all those useless files on computers and shredding them. Don't know if you want to pay for software just to remove a demo but it is a very useful tool to have.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Princess Skittles said:
Well, that's simple enough. Thanks.

I might be thinking of something else lingering on my list.. Team Fortress 2 Beta or something?

Bah, I'll deal with it later.
Can't get rid of the Betas sadly, you are stuck with both the Counter Strike Source Beta and Team Fortress 2 Beta if you have ether game.

nexen

jaundicejuice said:
It took me a few hours but I'm really getting into and enjoying Risen. I've never played any of the Gothic games and was wondering which would be worth playing still. I already know that I'm supposed to avoid Gothic IV since it wasn't developed by Piranha Bytes and is apparently total shit, but how do the older games hold up?
Risen is the best Gothic game by far.
Lots of people love Gothic 2 but I got into it late and it doesn't hold up well at all imho.
Gothic 3 is dumb fun but Risen destroys it.

Dynoro said:
Not Steam but Gothic II is cheap on gog.com this weekend (4 bucks instead of 6) so might be worth a go to see if you like the series. It gets 4.5/5 on their user ratings too; so can't be all bad.

krzy123 said:
Well currently I'm playing Gothic II Gold right now, first off I've never played Risen so I can't make comparisons. Gothic II seemed to be designed for keyboard only, w/ some mouse controls. This game is hard as hell in the beginning (I hear vanilla Gothic II isn't too bad), since this was my first Gothic game there was a learning curve.

I ended up using some guides I found online, to build my character properly (you can screw this up and ended up doing alot of grinding) and how to basically play. Game is mostly have finding enemies and quests that you can defeat/complete for your level. I've probably died 50+ times wandering into enemies that I couldn't handle. There is some grinding if you want to. It harkens back to the no hand holding games of the past. For $5-10 there is a shitload of content that I would take a flyer on them.

nexen said:
Risen is the best Gothic game by far.
Lots of people love Gothic 2 but I got into it late and it doesn't hold up well at all imho.
Gothic 3 is dumb fun but Risen destroys it.

Hmm, I might grab the bundle of the first three Gothic games if they go on sale again but I'm not going to be too anxious if that doesn't happen any time soon. Thanks!

Minsc

Gold Member
Dynoro said:
Not Steam but Gothic II is cheap on gog.com this weekend (4 bucks instead of 6) so might be worth a go to see if you like the series. It gets 4.5/5 on their user ratings too; so can't be all bad.

gogratingsearch.png

That's essentially the scale to GOG's rating system.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
afternoon delight said:
Why are you messaging people who are offline?

I can think of plenty of reasons to do so. If you want to tell someone something, but they aren't online and you fear you might forget to tell them later (or you will be busy later), for example.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:
gogratingsearch.png

That's essentially the scale to GOG's rating system.

Pretty much. It's called Good Old Games, so the majority of people are there out of nostalgia. Most of the people who write the reviews do so based on their memories of how great X games was back in the day.

If a game isn't getting 4 or 5 stars across the board, then that's a clear message to stay away.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheExodu5 said:
Is the weekend deal up yet?

I forgot my iPhone today and can't check at work.
Looks like it, 80% off the two old Mount and Blade titles, 60% off the complete pack (Which includes the upcoming title), and 10% off the new title.

Deal actually went up just as you asked.

Like like only .50 cents off Fire and Sword. Might by the Vanilla and Warband to try it out and wait for a better deal on Fire and Sword.

TheExodu5

Banned
desu said:
Mount & Blade With Fire & Sword

ORDER!

Holy shit a new M&B? OMG OMG OMG!

I've been playing it a lot this past week and it's just such an amazing game. Singleplayer is pretty addictive, and multiplayer is alive and kicking, and quite a bit of fun. I've been playing on cRPG servers, which have persistent levels/gear.

And Warband is only $6? I need to get some friends to buy it...

DoctorWho said:
Like like only .50 cents off Fire and Sword. Might by the Vanilla and Warband to try it out and wait for a better deal on Fire and Sword.

Don't buy Vanilla. They shouldn't even be selling it. Warband is an enhanced version of Vanilla.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:

I've been playing it a lot this past week and it's just such an amazing game. Singleplayer is pretty addictive, and multiplayer is alive and kicking, and quite a bit of fun. I've been playing on cRPG servers, which have persistent levels/gear.

Fire & Sword actually uses real world locations this time, and I believe it has some manner of story. Otherwise it's just an upgrade to Warband. I'll be buying it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
Fire & Sword actually uses real world locations this time, and I believe it has some manner of story. Otherwise it's just an upgrade to Warband. I'll be buying it.

The question is whether or not it renders Warband obsolete. It might. I guess it's not a big deal though, since Warband is only $6 and a great way for someone to try out the series on the cheap.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hell yeah, stand alone Warband is only $6 so I'm on that.

Painkiller is $4 on GOG so I'll probably get that too. Is it safe to say I'll like it if I thought Bulletstorm was great?

TheExodu5 said:

Don't buy Vanilla. They shouldn't even be selling it. Warband is an enhanced version of Vanilla.
Ah. I was under the impression Warband was an expansion. I'll just grab Warband then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jenks said:
I might get Warband if i do is there any reason to get the original Mount and Blade?

Not at all. I don't think there is anything in the original that isn't also in Warband.

There are still some mods out there that only work with the original M&B, but I doubt you really care about those.

TheExodu5

Banned
Jenks said:
I might get Warband if i do is there any reason to get the original Mount and Blade?

None whatsoever.

To anyone wanting to check out Mount & Blade: do not buy the original. Just get Warband and/or Fire & Sword.

Hmm someone help me out a little here. I'm not opposed to buying Warband as I've toyed with the idea every time it goes on sale. The problem is every time I see someone talk about it on here it's always about the multiplayer.

Is the single player any good at all? I have absolutely 0 interest in any form of multiplayer so if that's the main draw of the game and the single is weak then I'll have to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom