• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shurs

LastWindow said:
It depends on how important $3 is to you.

When put like that, I realize how ridiculous my post was.

vocab said:
You should be able to use the key and activate. Don't take my word for it, but I swear retail copies were easier to activate.

Cool. I'll do that.

Baha

I can't afford M&B: Fire & Sword atm (Portal 2 tapped me out) but I do have some extras from that valve complete pack I got last week. If anybody is interested I'll trade 1-2 of any of the following for it:

HL2
HL2: Ep1
HL2 DM
Portal
L4D
L4D2

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shurs said:
When put like that, I realize how ridiculous my post was.

Since you're new to the world of Steam, I'll let you in on a secret--this won't be the last time you get upset over a few bucks and then realize how foolish it is ;)

Shurs

Stumpokapow said:
Since you're new to the world of Steam, I'll let you in on a secret--this won't be the last time you get upset over a few bucks and then realize how foolish it is ;)

I know.

It's kind of the same way with XBLA. When I got my Xbox in June (or was it July?) Microsoft was having a sale on past Summer of Arcade titles. Ever since then, I've been willing to wait on sales for most 1200 point titles.

I'm loving Steam and all of its sales. I can already tell my backlog is going to be large, but at these prices, it's perfectly acceptable. I'd feel foolish not taking a chance on games at such low prices.

Nabs

Pandoracell said:
How cheaply has the Valve complete pack gone on sale, specifically the summer sale?
50% I think. They made a mistake during the holiday sale and sold it for 75% off for a few minutes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I never really feel bad about buying a game then finding it on sale soon afterwards, you can never predict that shit, but I have made a few regrettable impulse purchases. The worst is when I don't do any research and end up buying a lemon of a port like Split/Second, which is a RACING GAME that game out in 2010 on PC but has a locked frame rate @ 30. On top of that, it didn't seem to have native gamepad support either. After trying to play it for like 10 minutes I deleted it from my HDD and never bothered with it again.

In a case like that, I do feel like an idiot but I guess it's a part of life with DD and easy impulse purchases.

MacGurcules said:
See but Doom was actually fairly methodical despite Doomguy zipping around at like 40 miles per hour. You backtracked across the map with keys or switches opened new secret doors and the atmosphere actually felt good. Painkiller just seemed like you'd pop into a room, shoot a ton of guys until they stopped showing up, and then move on to the next room to do the exact same thing. That was occasionally punctuated by tediously humping a trashcan halfway across the map so you could jump on top of something to retrieve a secret.

But yeah, I guess for four bucks, why not?

"[Painkiller] hangs out in the rough side of fps town where key card puzzles don't dare venture for fear of getting curb stomped"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nabs said:
50% I think. They made a mistake during the holiday sale and sold it for 75% off for a few minutes.
It was about an hour I think.

I am still annoyed about the DMC4 thing, I was just about to buy it and it at $5, then bamn went up to $10.

MooMoo

Drkirby said:
It was about an hour I think.

I am still annoyed about the DMC4 thing, I was just about to buy it and it at $5, then bamn went up to $10.
The sadly hilarious part about that was it dropped in sales ranking when they made the price switch. Silly Capcom...I'm glad I managed to snatch the deal though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Pandoracell said:
How cheaply has the Valve complete pack gone on sale, specifically the summer sale?
50%, Same price as THQ Pack.

About losing out on a few dollars, it's going to happen quite a bit. Best idea is to create a bar where you are comfortable at. Where even if it drops, you still feel like you made out... even if it wasn't as cheap. I'll also note, take a look at % too.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Syphon Filter said:
Is there enough differences in CS and CS:source to own both?
Listen, obviously, you're new to all things CS. Just go with CS:S, enter 1.6 once Source is too noobish for you (if that is even a word). But you don't want to touch 1.6 too early, you'll just get frustrated, which doesn't do the game justice.
You either grew up pre-Source, or you acquired the necessary skill with Source — then you step up to 1.6.

To be honest, you'll likely stick with Source anyway because it's really good, and the attraction of 1.6 will wear off once you're invested into some clan or whatever. 1.6 really is kind of a beast by now.

Sanic

Thanks guys, for some reason I thought it was something ridiculous like 80-85% but it must have been that 75% off glitch.

Snuggler said:
I never really feel bad about buying a game then finding it on sale soon afterwards, you can never predict that shit, but I have made a few regrettable impulse purchases. The worst is when I don't do any research and end up buying a lemon of a port like Split/Second, which is a RACING GAME that game out in 2010 on PC but has a locked frame rate @ 30. On top of that, it didn't seem to have native gamepad support either. After trying to play it for like 10 minutes I deleted it from my HDD and never bothered with it again.

In a case like that, I do feel like an idiot but I guess it's a part of life with DD and easy impulse purchases.

That's actually a really well optimized port. You can unlock it easy enough and it does have native support for the 360 pad with button prompts.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LocoMrPollock said:
That's actually a really well optimized port. You can unlock it easy enough and it does have native support for the 360 pad with button prompts.
How do you unlock the framerate in Split/Second? The config files are all encrypted.

S/S on the PC is still the definitive version of the game, even with the warts. It even has local split screen.

shintoki said:
50%, Same price as THQ Pack.

About losing out on a few dollars, it's going to happen quite a bit. Best idea is to create a bar where you are comfortable at. Where even if it drops, you still feel like you made out... even if it wasn't as cheap. I'll also note, take a look at % too.
Yeah, you just have to think of it along the right line. If you bought it at a certain price, it's because it represented a value to you that you were willing to accept. If game X is worth $10 to you and you buy it at $10 that doesn't mean it's worth less if it shows up for $5 a bit later.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Someone mentioned Race 07 earlier. It has a decent metacritic score but does it still hold up? Or has something else on steam kinda taken over as a better all around (rally/f1/etc.) racing sim? Do i need to get the expansions as well?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lasthope106 said:
The new EADM completely rips-off Steam. EA is now trying to add community features to their store client.

Haha, really? Who the hell would let EA's claws on them when Steam exists. Don't even try there, EA, it's a lost cause.

desu

LocoMrPollock said:

Are you sure? I played S/S with a wireless 360 controller and all I got were weird button prompts and keys that only worked in game but not in any of the menus (if I remember right).

Polk

zombieshavebrains said:
Is it a spiritual successor because its like a painkiller ripoff or did some people leave people can fly and make it?
Few people left People Can Fly after finishing Painkiller and founded TheFarm51, makers of NecroVision.

Fredescu

desu said:
Are you sure? I played S/S with a wireless 360 controller and all I got were weird button prompts and keys that only worked in game but not in any of the menus (if I remember right).
You do remember right, that was my experience too.

TheBez

Looking to trade the following for Bloody Good Time.

Audiosurf
Cogs
Portal

Also looking to trade some combination of the following for Cargo.

Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Killing Floor
Defense Grid Awakening
More Portal

coopolon

Snuggler said:
Haha, really? Who the hell would let EA's claws on them when Steam exists. Don't even try there, EA, it's a lost cause.

I really like EADM. Their prices are typically WAY better then Steam's on EA games (since EA doesn't Steam sell the games for cheap.) I also really like how you can enter in your retail game codes and get unlimited downloads and get rid of cd checks. All ripped off of Steam, bu they're doing it well.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
coopolon said:
I really like EADM. Their prices are typically WAY better then Steam's on EA games (since EA doesn't Steam sell the games for cheap.) I also really like how you can enter in your retail game codes and get unlimited downloads and get rid of cd checks. All ripped off of Steam, bu they're doing it well.
Indeed, and competition is never a bad thing.

It's good to see that EA, of all people, are actually tying to make a system that at least tries to do what Steam does. Microsoft take note!

SalsaShark said:
alright people fuckin GET BLOODY GOOD TIME AND COME PLAY WITH US

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428731

Im warning you.

Also Capsized soon, yeeey
£4 eh? *ponders*

zombieshavebrains said:
Someone mentioned Race 07 earlier. It has a decent metacritic score but does it still hold up? Or has something else on steam kinda taken over as a better all around (rally/f1/etc.) racing sim? Do i need to get the expansions as well?
If you're in the UK or EU, You can get Race On retail, which includes Race 07 and STCC for £5. http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/race-on/10066769.html

Edit: And yes, Race 07 is fantastic. Sure it doesn't look the best, but hook a decent wheel to the game and you'll be in touring car heaven.

TheExodu5 said:
Since Fire & Sword is only $0.50 or so, you might as well just start with Warband and get Fire & Sword at your leisure. Wait for impressions if you want to, or wait longer until a sale if you must (though that might take a few months).

Fire & Sword likely won't have much mod support for a while, so Warband is probably going to be the fuller game for the time being (unless they've made it completely backwards compatible with modules...no word on that).
only 0.50?where???? i checked on steam and fire&sword is like 13 euros :p
I'd get it, but I own both m&b vanilla and m&b warband.. so I'd prefer to wait until fire&sword drops to say 5-6$ :p

Snuggler said:

I'm in the same boat with regrettable purchases. I'm one of those weirdos who installs pretty much every game I've bought and yesterday I went ahead and did some spring cleaning of my STEAM library and uninstalled a bunch of them. Between games I only played a handful of hours, old games I have zero desire to play, or console parts I bought on PC thinking they'd deserve another playthrough there was a bunch of purchases I wish I never made. Felt very liberating to cut my backlog in half and delete a bunch of stuff and accept the fact I'll never play / replay certain games.

On the flip side there are a ton of games I bought during an extreme sale or due to GAF hype that I loved and enjoyed the hell out of, so it all balances out.

Volcynika

witchedwiz said:
only 0.50?where???? i checked on steam and fire&sword is like 13 euros :p
I'd get it, but I own both m&b vanilla and m&b warband.. so I'd prefer to wait until fire&sword drops to say 5-6$ :p

He probably meant the sale only knocked off $.50 off the base price. It's a small discount compared to the other games in the pack.

Shaneus

Warband bought. Fuck the backlog, if it's had good enough praise and I'm saving that much on it, it can wait as a rainy day pleasant surprise :)

1-D_FTW

Snuggler said:

Haven't seen it, but if they're going to boycott Steamworks, and limit friends lists to 20 people, then it's probably a good thing. At least have an alternative that doesn't completely suck for games like BF3.

Echoplx

Seriously, I'd much rather have EADM then GFWL.

fbqkx.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
Haven't seen it, but if they're going to boycott Steamworks, and limit friends lists to 20 people, then it's probably a good thing. At least have an alternative that doesn't completely suck for games like BF3.
Human mind can only handle 20 friends total. Proven fact. EA looked it up on the internet.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
coopolon said:
Yeah of all the competing services to steam, EADM has the cleanest interface and it works well. Any EA games I get from D2D go straight on EADM instead of the horrible comrade thing D2D have. Gamersgate as well since it lacks a convenient client.

MoxManiac

So did EA change their policy regarding redownloads? I remember you used to have to actually pay to redownload your games for a period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom