• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
3chopl0x said:
Yes you can if you 'Add a non-steam game'

Oh ok. I'm familiar with the "Add a non-steam game" functionality. I use it for most non-steam games that I own but I guess I was under the false impression that the games needed to launch from their client. Good to know.

coopolon

MoxManiac said:
So did EA change their policy regarding redownloads? I remember you used to have to actually pay to redownload your games for a period of time.

I guess. I never paid for any download insurance and I can still DL games I bought over two years ago on the EA store (prior to EADM). I do recall the download insurance being an option when I first bought something from EA though, so it appears they did scrap that.

will darkspore require permanent internet connection?
if it will I'm sort of screwed as I'm currently internet-less and will be for the next 2 months :/

Mrbob

MoxManiac said:
So did EA change their policy regarding redownloads? I remember you used to have to actually pay to redownload your games for a period of time.

Yes. Competition offered a better option so EA had to tweak what they were offering. Now you can download again any time.

EADM is becoming Steam mini now. You can now have your friends list from EADM show up in game if you want. I didn't turn it on though because the only overlay I need is Steam.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
iNvidious01 said:
ok for the UK/EU people who wanna buy off the US steam store and get the better price conversion etc

1. download and install openvpn, and get free vpn service from hostizzle.
2. get a free neteller account which gives you a free virtual mastercard
3. deposit some money onto the virtual card from your proper card or bank account
4. activate the vpn service which will give your PC a US based IP
5. go to steam and buy what you want in $, hooray

in my opinion steam in the UK is not very good value, our retail prices are much better. e.g. bad company 2 is £10.99 from amazon but steam has it for £19.99 but obviously steam is very convenient.
by using the US steam store you can get games for about the same price as places like amazon and play sell them, but also with the added convience of steam.

You forgot the 6th step

6. get your account banned/your games removed because Valve doesn't like when you actively work around the regional locks/pricing.

If they notice your username logging from different parts of the world in a matter of minutes, they'll remove the games you purchased obviously using a VPN. Just ask somebody to gift them to you (or create a "gifting" account, which purpose is to gift shit to your main account).

MRORANGE said:
anyone know any d2d discount codes? I was going to get brink with the 25% discount last week, but I only got paid today :|
I'm on my phone right now but I posted something in the dc universe official thread. 15% off.

desu

MRORANGE said:
anyone know any d2d discount codes? I was going to get brink with the 25% discount last week, but I only got paid today :|

Right now there is only 15% off, so if you want more you need to wait.

Baha

Question: I was going to trade some games for M&B: F&S but my bro gifted me the game and not 10 mins later the person with whom I was going to trade with gifted me a copy as well. I sent that person the games anyway since they already spent the money but my question is this: what happens when you receive a gift for a game you already own? Does it count as an extra copy or what?

[EDIT] Nevermind, it gave me a guest pass failure. Oh well.

enewtabie

Anybody know if the Battlefield 2 community is still rolling?
I would like to buy the collection off Steam(sold my disc copies years ago at a yard sale for some reason..)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
enewtabie said:
Anybody know if the Battlefield 2 community is still rolling?
I would like to buy the collection off Steam(sold my disc copies years ago at a yard sale for some reason..)
I'm pretty sure that people still play it.

But after playing ~1200 hours of BF2 and 458 hours of Bad Company 2, I'm pretty safe to say that BF2 is unplayable by todays standards.

enewtabie

drizzle said:
I'm pretty sure that people still play it.

But after playing ~1200 hours of BF2 and 458 hours of Bad Company 2, I'm pretty safe to say that BF2 is unplayable by todays standards.

Yeah I've played every BF going back to 42/desert combat mods. I just enjoyed the ships/jet combat. Guess I'm just nostalgic

Carm

witchedwiz said:
will darkspore require permanent internet connection?
if it will I'm sort of screwed as I'm currently internet-less and will be for the next 2 months :/

Yes, it's online only. Really stupid decision but it's EA, so not really surprised.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Stallion Free said:
Yeah I wish I had left BF2 in my memory after trying it again recently.
I don't know if my perception shifted with the time, but when I replayed BF2 a couple months ago, I felt like Bad Company 2 is a better representation of what I remember the gameplay of BF2 being than BF2 itself.

It was just so slow and stiff compared to what I remember it being. Felt really weird.

However, nothing is as good as Karkand or flying jets. Thank god they're both coming back with BF3.

Battlefield Play4Free, however, while neither here or there, seems like a "modern" take on BF2, using the same old engine. It tries to merge both games (BF2 and Bad Company 2) into one, but ends up being worse than any of them.

Hi guys, to give a bit back to GAF for introducing me to the wonderful world of STEAM and its sales, first one to quote this message will get a Supreme Commander 2 key.

ClosingADoor said:
Hi guys, to give a bit back to GAF for introducing me to the wonderful world of STEAM and its sales, first one to quote this message will get a Supreme Commander 2 key.

You're a scholar and a gentleman.

EDIT - wait a second I already own the game, sorry, please offer it to someone else!

Its a lot of fun and I hope the winner enjoys it!

Sanic

ClosingADoor said:

Me?

I played a bit of the first on 360 and enjoyed it, so it would be nice to experience the sequel with a superior control method.

Edit: Thanks ClosingADoor, really appreciate it!

MRORANGE

DoctorWho said:
I'm on my phone right now but I posted something in the dc universe official thread. 15% off.

desu said:
Right now there is only 15% off, so if you want more you need to wait.

never mind, fount it on a online retail store for £22.75 (under $38) and it's the Brink steelbook version!

Divius

cackhyena said:
I'm in super cheap mode atm. Anyone know what's the cheapest the HL episodes have gone down to before?
Half-Life 2 1,34 EUR
Half-Life 2: Episode One 1,04 EUR
Half-Life 2: Episode Two 1,04 EUR

Bought in Januari. 25% off because I already owned something from Valve or whatever.

Zimbardo said:
yeah, there was no xbox button prompts in Split Second, but the xbox pad worked fine out of the gate.

I could swear there were. For the wired anyway. They were even red/blue/green/yellow. My memory could be playing tricks with me though, I know it's been awhile.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
iNvidious01 said:
ok for the UK/EU people who wanna buy off the US steam store and get the better price conversion etc

1. download and install openvpn, and get free vpn service from hostizzle.
2. get a free neteller account which gives you a free virtual mastercard
3. deposit some money onto the virtual card from your proper card or bank account
4. activate the vpn service which will give your PC a US based IP
5. go to steam and buy what you want in $, hooray

in my opinion steam in the UK is not very good value, our retail prices are much better. e.g. bad company 2 is £10.99 from amazon but steam has it for £19.99 but obviously steam is very convenient.
by using the US steam store you can get games for about the same price as places like amazon and play sell them, but also with the added convience of steam.
And then, don't be surprised if they catch on and lock your account. Next step is to go on Reddit and claim you did no wrong.

Seriously, just find people to gift them to you.

desu

K.Jack said:
And then, don't be surprised if they catch on and lock your account. Next step is to go on Reddit and claim you did no wrong.

Seriously, just find people to gift them to you.

Thats why youre using a gifting account, as mentioned earlier. Not everyone has someone to gift all the time.

desu said:
Thats why youre using a gifting account, as mentioned earlier. Not everyone has someone to gift all the time.

Except Valve will be able to tell that there is one account being used specifically to gift games to another specific account. Believe me, many have tried and have been found out. Not worth it.

Minsc

Gold Member
desu said:

What's to stop them from also locking the gifted account in addition to the gifting account? They could certainly see the alternate accounts purchase history and determine it's a 2nd account, which is against the TOS I think. They probably can also track the payment method use and see if it matches the account gifted to.

1-D_FTW

Weren't these the shenanigans that had that one dude crying on Reddit and gaf worried that gifting would get your account banned? Creating a dummy account to gift things is a terrible idea. Either do it legit or just wait for a better sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom