• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

plc268

SalsaShark said:
People say ping doesnt matter in Warband but i got my ass handed to me many times even after i got decent at it. The hit detection being somewhat loose (dont get me wrong, it works this way) + high ping leading to lag issues make the MP kind of a chore to me.

I like to think that Warband is the medieval Counter-Strike. It's one of those games that noobs simply won't understand at first, and the vets will dominate every one else.

TheExodu5

Banned
plc268 said:
I like to think that Warband is the medieval Counter-Strike. It's one of those games that noobs simply won't understand at first, and the vets will dominate every one else.

It really does feel like Counter-Strike. Of course the game plays completely differently, but the dynamics of the multiplayer game are very much like Counter-Strike.

Twig

Banned
Minsc said:
gogratingsearch.png

That's essentially the scale to GOG's rating system.
Yeah I was gonna say the same thing before.

I think MOO3 has a low rating, though!

EDIT: Huh, that was at the top of the page. I'm only responding like a year later. I'm tired. ):

Sanic

Is the multiplayer of Warband also a superset of M&B? Don't know if I would put too much time into SP, so i'm wondering if MP has any differences between the two.

vocab

Wait and see on fire and sword. There's no real reason to get it since most of the mods are on Warband. You may think "Wow guns in Warband, that's awesome!" It really isn't as awesome as you think. Play Mount and Musket mod if you want to see how annoying it kind of is.

SalsaShark said:
People say ping doesnt matter in Warband but i got my ass handed to me many times even after i got decent at it. The hit detection being somewhat loose (dont get me wrong, it works this way) + high ping leading to lag issues make the MP kind of a chore to me.

It matters, but It's more server dependent then anything. 70 ping is the threshold, but people are successful with 100+ ping. The top native clan held a duel tournament it had some dude there with 200 ping just ripping people apart. The Netcode is really good, it's the servers that have more problems than anything. Think Battlefield netcode where the server can't kept up.

Forkball said:
And Mount and Blade Warband is worth $6 for the multiplayer. It's pretty damn tough, slow, and unforgiving, but also exciting and fun.

I think you are selling the game too short. The game is anything but slow. Native is actually pretty fast, CRPG can be slow (your character is slow, not the game play), but high agi's run at the speed of light. Unforgiving? No. More like if you can't block, you'll just die over and over.

I played 200 hours of CRPG, and almost Gen 4. Ask me anything.

vocab

Pandoracell said:
Is CRPG a mod, or just a different mode?

It's a mod where you customize your character with stat distribution, gold upkeep, different character buids. You get experience, and gold per minute, and the amount depends if your team is winning or not. It can be played on Battle, siege, and Duel. Strategus, which is a sub CRPG mod. It's supposed to be the single player game, but in multiplayer. It's still in development.

Snuggler said:
Hell yeah, stand alone Warband is only $6 so I'm on that.

Painkiller is $4 on GOG so I'll probably get that too. Is it safe to say I'll like it if I thought Bulletstorm was great?
I have not played Bulletstorm, but I'm not terribly fond of Painkiller. It seemed like it wanted to be a lot like Serious Sam gameplay-wise, with enemy waves and semi-ridiculous weapons, but I just couldn't get into it.

StuBurns said:
Hey guys, I thought I'd ask here, anyone know why AudioSurf has never come to any other platform? Not even OS X. It seems really strange, is that guy up to anything?
Well, it did come out for the ZuneHD. I don't suppose that really counts, though.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Warband worth $6 for single player? I'll probably dabble in MP but I know I'll never be serious about it. (Even really polished MP experiences like TF2 I don't spend much time with).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Snuggler said:
Hell yeah, stand alone Warband is only $6 so I'm on that.

Painkiller is $4 on GOG so I'll probably get that too. Is it safe to say I'll like it if I thought Bulletstorm was great?
Closest thing to Bulletstorm is Painkiller's spiritual sequel, Necrovision.

GDJustin said:
Warband worth $6 for single player? I'll probably dabble in MP but I know I'll never be serious about it. (Even really polished MP experiences like TF2 I don't spend much time with).

Yes times a million billion

I was actually just about to play through again, but now I think I'll go straight to the new one (unless I get bored this weekend)

jaundicejuice said:
Painkiller adheres to the old shooter design philosophy of "it moves, shoot it", it's got all of the thematic cohesiveness of the Heavy Metal movie, which is also where it looks like the inspiration for its arsenal and menagerie of beasties were drawn from and that's why its awesome! Painkiller is probably one of the last great Doom clones made.

Totally worth 4$.
See but Doom was actually fairly methodical despite Doomguy zipping around at like 40 miles per hour. You backtracked across the map with keys or switches opened new secret doors and the atmosphere actually felt good. Painkiller just seemed like you'd pop into a room, shoot a ton of guys until they stopped showing up, and then move on to the next room to do the exact same thing. That was occasionally punctuated by tediously humping a trashcan halfway across the map so you could jump on top of something to retrieve a secret.

But yeah, I guess for four bucks, why not?

vocab

GDJustin said:

Only if you like games like Pirates!. Games that have no real story line, and you just conquer the world.

iNvid02

ok for the UK/EU people who wanna buy off the US steam store and get the better price conversion etc

1. download and install openvpn, and get free vpn service from hostizzle.
2. get a free neteller account which gives you a free virtual mastercard
3. deposit some money onto the virtual card from your proper card or bank account
4. activate the vpn service which will give your PC a US based IP
5. go to steam and buy what you want in $, hooray

in my opinion steam in the UK is not very good value, our retail prices are much better. e.g. bad company 2 is £10.99 from amazon but steam has it for £19.99 but obviously steam is very convenient.
by using the US steam store you can get games for about the same price as places like amazon and play sell them, but also with the added convience of steam.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Stallion Free said:
You will download Zdoom which autodetects the relevant files in the Steam folder and then you will bask in the visual perfection.

Came in to post this. No reason to play them anyway but Zdoom.

TheExodu5

Banned
vocab said:
I played 200 hours of CRPG, and almost Gen 4. Ask me anything.

How can I not suck?

I keep making builds that get dominated by 1h + shielders.

I made a 2h 18/18 build (well not quite 18/18 yet). I expected to get decimated by archers and throwers, but not really sword and board.

TheExodu5

Banned
Syphon Filter said:
Is there enough differences in CS and CS:source to own both?

If you already own CS, don't buy Source. If you already own Source, don't buy CS. You'll hate the other.

If you don't own either...it depends. CS 1.6 is a highly competitive game, and Source is a little more forgiving and casual. Chances are if you haven't played CS 1.6 yet, you're not really in the market for such a competitive game, so I'd go with Source.

Syphon Filter said:
Is there enough differences in CS and CS:source to own both?
My impression is that CS (aka 1.6) is full of the die-hards. If you don't have any experience with Counter-Strike you will likely be stomped mercilessly. CS:Source is where the people who haven't been playing CS for 10+ years go. Source is pretty similar superficially, but there have been enough minor gradual changes that it will feel way different if you're at a competitive level in 1.6.

Short story, if you don't already know which one to get, just get Source.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
How can I not suck?

I keep making builds that get dominated by 1h + shielders.

I made a 2h 18/18 build (well not quite 18/18 yet). I expected to get decimated by archers and throwers, but not really sword and board.

They are the hardest to deal with simply because A) blocking 1h attacks are the hardest, and B) you have you deal with the shield. You basically need to block better, and use more feints, and holds against shielders. Also, it depends what weapon you are using. 1h's have a downfall though. The right swing.

MacGurcules said:
My impression is that CS (aka 1.6) is full of the die-hards. If you don't have any experience with Counter-Strike you will likely be stomped mercilessly. CS:Source is where the people who haven't been playing CS for 10+ years go. Source is pretty similar superficially, but there have been enough minor gradual changes that it will feel way different if you're at a competitive level in 1.6.

Short story, if you don't already know which one to get, just get Source.

No one gets stomped in 1.6 because everyone who still plays it is terrible at the game. Overall, you'll get beat by kids in both games, but in Source you'll get beat by kids who have no idea how to play because the recoil system in source is retarded.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you do get 1.6, make sure you set these launch options:

-noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd

Also, you'll need to disable vsync through your graphics control panel to get rid of input lag.

If this all sounds too hardcore for you, steer cleer. :p

vocab said:
No one gets stomped in 1.6 because everyone who still plays it is terrible at the game.

Like anything in CS, it really depends on the server that you play. The best players don't usually pub, but you'll find some pretty ridiculous players out there anyways.

CS 1.6 has a lot more vanilla servers and long term players. Source actually has few vanilla servers, with a lot of them being the more 'fun' servers like gun game and the like.

Still, the engine is definitely less forgiving. The hitboxes are much tighter, and bullet control is much more important. Personally, I think the engine and netcode is a good deal better than Source. To the uninitiated though, they'll probably seem almost identical.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
Like anything in CS, it really depends on the server that you play. The best players don't usually pub, but you'll find some pretty ridiculous players out there anyways.

I hate pubs, but when I stomp them, I either get banned or accused like crazy. It's always been like that. Also, the pubs where only admins can use flashbangs are probably the funniest. They get mad when I turn away from the flashes and kill them.

TheExodu5

Banned
vocab said:
I hate pubs, but when I stomp them, I either get banned or accused like crazy. It's always been like that. Also, the pubs where only admins can use flashbangs are probably the funniest. They get mad when I turn away from the flashes and kill them.

TBH I haven't played 1.6 in years now. Where has the competitive scene moved to? What leagues do they play in? Is there still an IRC scrimmage channel?

When I was playing it was all CAL/CPL, and the top teams were 3D and sk.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
TBH I haven't played 1.6 in years now. Where has the competitive scene moved to? What leagues do they play in? Is there still an IRC scrimmage channel?

When I was playing it was all CAL/CPL, and the top teams were 3D and sk.

I stopped playing when CPL was dead, and Cal died in the middle of the one season. The Lan scenes are dead, and the online scenes are kinda crappy. Cevo, and ESEA is really all there is, and the only real tournaments are international. There's like 2 US teams. The game had a good run honestly, but people moved on. Also, once cheat clients became the standard, a lot of people dropped off the face of the earth. I wonder why :D

You can still find scrims and shit, but man it isn't the same. Last time I pugged with my friends, I didn't even gave a shit, and dropped a 20 bomb, and was still making the de_nuke rock jump every time. I don't think anyone cares about getting better anymore. That's why I moved on to Hon and Warband. Warband at least has a community of people you see a lot, and there's definitely an urge to get better. There's some people I cannot beat in a duel.

Shurs

Well, shit: I just got Mount & Blade: Warband from Amazon in the mail today.

I bought it for $9 during the weekend.

I wonder if returning it is worth the hassle.

Shurs said:

It depends on how important $3 is to you.

vocab

Shurs said:

You should be able to use the key and activate. Don't take my word for it, but I swear retail copies were easier to activate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom