• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

SpaceChem is getting a nice update with Steam Achievements, friend leaderboards, and a level editor. Oh, and TF2 items. Here's hoping for a Midweek Madness sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DoctorWho said:
Does Blur have a good online presence on PC?
No it's fairly dead. I just played some the other day and there were about 25 or so people online and the one group I got in with was all retardedly high level. I'm just waiting for a couple more of my friends to pick it up at some point.

Mrbob

Hahaha at the D2D Bloodlines sale. Great game though.

Need some Capsized impressions. I'm looking at picking it up when I get home.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Played a bit of M&B Warband last night. It strikes me as a fairly typical indie game. And I mean that in the best possible way (I play a lot of indie games).

That is to say, it is very unpolished and lots of elements are poorly explained, but it also has a lot of exciting new ideas. I can tell if you can get past that initial hump it'll probably turn into something really compelling.

That seems to be the way a lot of indie games are. If you can get over that initial hump, where it's completely unforgiving, and you have no idea what's going on, and you run into bugs within the first 10 minutes, etc., underneath all that you'll end up experiencing something compelling and new and obviously put together with a lot of love and soul.

On my first game I ended up with a band of about 25 guys, all semi-trained. Took a quest from a king to capture three prisoners from the nation he's at war with. But I couldn't actually figure out how to take the prisoners.

First I raided the enemy's caravan. Afterwards I could steal some goods, but not take prisoners.

I raided one of the enemy nation's villages, thinking that when I won I could take a few of them prisoner. But instead, I just slaughtered the entire town (55 dead!). Normally you can take prisoners after a battle, but that wasn't an option here.

Opposing nation sent out a huge force and pwned me. Game over.

bigace33

How does Vampire bloodlines do with Windows 7? Is it compatible with windows 7 64 bit? That's a great price that I can't pass up as long as it works properly.

bigace33 said:
How does Vampire bloodlines do with Windows 7? Is it compatible with windows 7 64 bit? That's a great price that I can't pass up as long as it works properly.

The community patch is a requirement no matter what OS you're running. The game is buggy as shit without it. But yeah, it'll run on Windows 7.

Minsc

Gold Member
bigace33 said:

Yes, get Wesp's latest patch (it does everything, official patch, memory fix, etc), install the non-plus version when prompted, and then you can browse to the installation folder and in the tools directory there's an .exe to tweak the resolutions to the aspect ratio of your choice instead of the default (and only) 4:3 ones.

Don't kid yourself though, works properly is at best, slightly better than the 10,000 bugs it had at release. That's not to say you'll hit 1,000 bugs, many people don't encounter any, but don't be dumb and only use a single save file either. :)

GDJustin said:
On my first game I ended up with a band of about 25 guys, all semi-trained. Took a quest from a king to capture three prisoners from the nation he's at war with. But I couldn't actually figure out how to take the prisoners.

First I raided the enemy's caravan. Afterwards I could steal some goods, but not take prisoners.
The easiest way to get prisoners is to take them down with a staff (or to have staff-equipped soldiers). The game has a lot of weird quirks and some of them IMO kinda limit the freedom the game seems to promise.

DrXym

K.Jack said:
And then, don't be surprised if they catch on and lock your account. Next step is to go on Reddit and claim you did no wrong.

Seriously, just find people to gift them to you.

Alternatively don't buy stuff from Steam unless it's 75% off because chances are you can buy it somewhere else for a lot less than it costs on Steam. Bought Portal 2 today for about 60% of the cost that Valve would have me buy it through their own service.

desu

DrXym said:
Alternatively don't buy stuff from Steam unless it's 75% off because chances are you can buy it somewhere else for a lot less than it costs on Steam. Bought Portal 2 today for about 60% of the cost that Valve would have me buy it through their own service.

Problem with that, way too few titles are steamwork titles (EA/Ubi ....).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Alright, I've been waiting on Bloodlines, can't pass on that. Too bad it's not the Steam version but whatever.

Minsc said:
Yes, get Wesp's latest patch (it does everything, official patch, memory fix, etc), install the non-plus version when prompted, and then you can browse to the installation folder and in the tools directory there's an .exe to tweak the resolutions to the aspect ratio of your choice instead of the default (and only) 4:3 ones.

Don't kid yourself though, works properly is at best, slightly better than the 10,000 bugs it had at release. That's not to say you'll hit 1,000 bugs, many people don't encounter any, but don't be dumb and only use a single save file either. :)

Pretty sure you still have to open the console in-game at least once and type in a command in there as well. But then once you save, you never have to do it again.

Yeah you need to change to FOV and switch it to animorphic here it is for those who will need it.

Press the tilde key to bring up the console. We are going to type "r_anamorphic 1" to enable anamorphic display mode. Now type "FOV 69" to offset the anamorphic zoom.

The anamorphic switch is global and needs to be changed only once. The FOV switch needs to be changed with every new game. Once you have saved a game with the FOV switch you can load it up and the FOV will remained changed. Congrats.

Full thread here.

GDJustin said:

You get prisoners from enemies that are wounded but not killed in battle. This happens from them getting dealt bludgeoning damage (horse trample counts, as does falling damage, though that's rare).

And what do you mean game over? There's no game over, just build yourself back up!

(Early game helpful tip: search taverns for people with names that you can get to join you as companions. They have useful skills, can't be killed (knocked out only), and are just super useful. Some hate each other though, so you'll have to do some Baldur's Gate style party selection to end up with a solid group that gets along (somewhere between 6 and 8, I think, depending on who you choose).

coopolon

I think I'm going to pass on War Band and wait on the next one until it hits $5 or so (figure xmas sale if not earlier.) I think I've only got one Mount and Blade in me and the next one sounds like it's going to be more single player friendly, what with a story and all.

Minsc

Gold Member
LocoMrPollock said:
Pretty sure you still have to open the console in-game at least once and type in a command in there as well. But then once you save, you never have to do it again.

Yeah you need to change to FOV and switch it to animorphic here it is for those who will need it.

Full thread here.

I'll double check later, but I'm pretty sure that's outdated, and the patcher also fixes the FOV (it's part of the patcher's UI, you pick what FOV you want). I don't remember ever having to go to the console to get the resolutions, they show up right in the game's options.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
platypotamus said:
You get prisoners from enemies that are wounded but not killed in battle. This happens from them getting dealt bludgeoning damage (horse trample counts, as does falling damage, though that's rare).

And what do you mean game over? There's no game over, just build yourself back up!

(Early game helpful tip: search taverns for people with names that you can get to join you as companions. They have useful skills, can't be killed (knocked out only), and are just super useful. Some hate each other though, so you'll have to do some Baldur's Gate style party selection to end up with a solid group that gets along (somewhere between 6 and 8, I think, depending on who you choose).

My warband was 1! It made me sad. I figured it would be better to just re-roll a new character taking what I had learned, anyway.

I did have one named character, but she seemed kind of useless.

Minsc said:
I'll double check later, but I'm pretty sure that's outdated, and the patcher also fixes the FOV (it's part of the patcher's UI, you pick what FOV you want). I don't remember ever having to go to the console to get the resolutions, they show up right in the game's options.

When I did it, about 2 or 3 months ago the resolutions showed up, but they were stretched in-game so I had to use the console method.

I could've been using an outdated patch, though.

Edit: Wow, Capsized plays exactly like BEEP. With much better artwork.

Minsc

Gold Member
LocoMrPollock said:
When I did it, about 2 or 3 months ago the resolutions showed up, but they were stretched in-game so I had to use the console method.

I could've been using an outdated patch, though.

Edit: Wow, Capsized plays exactly like BEEP. With much better artwork.

bloodlines-respatcher.png

This is what it looks like for me. I have a retail copy and the FOV from that works fine, has for a very long iirc. Maybe that tool functions improperly with steam?

GDJustin said:
My warband was 1! It made me sad. I figured it would be better to just re-roll a new character taking what I had learned, anyway.

I did have one named character, but she seemed kind of useless.

A couple of them kind of are when you first get them, but when they level, you can give them party skills, like tracking, or training, or (most importantly) the medic skills. There are too many of these for you to have them all on your main character, and they are supremely useful.

Minsc said:
http://www.31012.com/images/games/11/bloodlines-respatcher.png[IMG]

This is what it looks like for me. I have a retail copy and the FOV from that works fine, has for a very long iirc. Maybe that tool functions improperly with steam?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess I was using the outdated tool. It looked exactly the same except it didn't have the FOV and Anamorphic options.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm done waiting for Bloodlines. If it's part of the Steam summer sale, I'll buy it. If not, I'll buy it the day the Steam summer sale ends.

marrec

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I'm done waiting for Bloodlines. If it's part of the Steam summer sale, I'll buy it. If not, I'll buy it the day the Steam summer sale ends.

Stump, I'll paypal you 10 dollars so that you can buy it now, unless you're waiting based on the principle of the matter. As others have said it's absolutely worth it at 20.

heyf00L

OK, that Universe sandbox is actually sweet looking. They seem to be treating galaxies the same as solor systems, tho, with the inner part rotating much faster than the outer. That's not actually true for galaxies due to them being 90% dark matter (at least that's the current thinking). It'd still be cool to slam their basic galaxies together.

Psy-Phi

Stumpokapow said:
Why not buy it from D2D now? Maybe I missed an earlier conversation....

I just bought it. I recently got to the point that I don't care where the game comes from anymore. (so long as their DRM isn't atrocious). Just as long as I get the game. And D2D is reliable. Used to be a Steam baby, if it wasn't on steam I didn't want it.

Just got Universe Sandbox, but when I try to open it I get the message:

"Unable to load DLL 'SteamworksWrapper.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Error Code: 2.1.0 Steam - PPOHO"

Anyone have a clue on how to fix this? The SteamworksWrapper file is in the steamapps -> common -> universe sandbox folder.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
3chopl0x said:
Universe Sandbox

Only on PC is there a market for gravity simulators.

Holy shit this sounds awesome. Someone buy it now and tell us if it's as awesome as it sounds.

RE: Bloodlines, I almost went for the deal but I've become a total Steamtard and I'll just buy it sale or not when I actually have time to play it. Right now I'm working on ME2 and Witcher 2 will be out by the time I'm done with that so it would have been backlogged either way.

desu

Scott32020 said:
Just got Universe Sandbox, but when I try to open it I get the message:

"Unable to load DLL 'SteamworksWrapper.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Error Code: 2.1.0 Steam - PPOHO"

Gamebreaking bug? Cause its the steam dll used for achievements and so on. That one should always be at the same folder and you should have it.

Ionic

3chopl0x said:
Universe Sandbox

Only on PC is there a market for gravity simulators.

No way! I remember playing with this awhile ago and thinking about how the guy making it should find a way to distribute it elsewhere besides his site. Now this, this is pretty much the best thing that could happen to it.

desu said:
Gamebreaking bug? Cause its the steam dll used for achievements and so on. That one should always be at the same folder and you should have it.
It's there in the folder, but it gives me this message regardless. Afterwards it asks me if I want to load it in safe mode or normally, but either way the circular loading icon just comes up yet the program doesn't open (it shows the UniverseSandbox.exe in task manager however)

Minsc

Gold Member
marrec said:
Stump, I'll bet you 10 dollars it goes on sale over the summer, against my 20 for the game if it doesn't

fixed
you also would need a Bloodlines avatar to show you're crazy about it, and probably not be a junior

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Universe Sandbox looks fantastic. I hope there are more planet textures thans whats shown in the screenshots though. I'd love to see super diverse solar systems.

pal670 said:
To solve this I registered and found the solution for you guys!
Go into your steamapps/common/universe sandbox folder, then go into the prerequisites folder, install the vc_redist_x86_2010.exe.
Problem solved, I just think the installer isn't calling upon the exe upon installation, therefore causing the problem.

Hope this helps you all! Thank me later <3
Found the solution here, apparently only for the initial people who installed, but it's fine from people who installed from the fix onward.

nexen

Would buy Transformers for $15, but not from D2D.

Lyphen said:
Universe Sandbox looks fantastic. I hope there are more planet textures thans whats shown in the screenshots though. I'd love to see super diverse solar systems.

O
M
G

...I so want this.

&#9632;Interactive, real-time, n-body gravity simulator
How big can N get? They show a galaxy collision....

dream

Joe Molotov said:
Bought Runaway 3, The Next Big Thing, and Hector: Episode 1 today. ADVENTURE TIME!

Hector was awesome on the iPhone.

Now that I've told you how Hector is, you're obligated to return the favor and tell me how The Next Big Thing is.

Question about Mass Effect 1 and 2 on Steam. The store page mentions "END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY". My question is do you need to accept the EULA every time you want to play or only when you are first installing it?

plc268

Syphon Filter said:
Question about Mass Effect 1 and 2 on Steam. The store page mentions "END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY". My question is do you need to accept the EULA every time you want to play or only when you are first installing it?

Only when installing.

Edit: Actually, it's the first time you run the game, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom