• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

plc268

Ickman3400 said:
Hmm someone help me out a little here. I'm not opposed to buying Warband as I've toyed with the idea every time it goes on sale. The problem is every time I see someone talk about it on here it's always about the multiplayer.

Is the single player any good at all? I have absolutely 0 interest in any form of multiplayer so if that's the main draw of the game and the single is weak then I'll have to pass.

Yea, the SP is good too, and quite addicting. You start off low and with a small army, and over time your army gets bigger. You have to build relationships between lords and kings, and wage wars against other kingdoms. Overall the game doesn't have much of a story and it's pretty open ended (I guess you've only truly "beat" the game if you've become king and conquered everyone). I'd say the SP is pretty worth it... I've got 45 hours in it, and I'm nowhere near done with that game.

TheExodu5

Banned
The singleplayer is great. It's a little confusing since there's quite a bit you can do, but it's a lot of fun. I have played it quite a bit this past week.

If I had to compare it to anything...it would be a game like X3 or even Freelancer. The main difference is that this game features really awesome combat, especially the mounted combat. You level up your character and specialize him as you see fit, raise an army, and go around the map doing what you will. You can align yourself with lords, take out bandits, become vassal to a king, and even eventually declare yourself king. It is a very unique experience and definitely a game worth getting.

Thanks guys I think I'm finally going to crack and get it. $6 for what I just read doesn't sound bad at all, it's just the first time I've ever seen anyone talk about the single so I was a little hesitant.

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:
No. It seems to have a completely new singleplayer campaign (well, setting).

Well this doesnt help:

VUkw0.png

the description doesnt make it that clear either

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it's not just multiplayer. As much as I love Mount and Blade, I couldn't really get into the Multiplayer side of it. It would suck to miss out on some new stuff.

Forkball

WTF the new M&B comes out in four days? I want to pick it up, but I want to hear impressions first.

And Mount and Blade Warband is worth $6 for the multiplayer. It's pretty damn tough, slow, and unforgiving, but also exciting and fun.

Clydefrog

jaundicejuice said:
Hmm, I might grab the bundle of the first three Gothic games if they go on sale again but I'm not going to be too anxious if that doesn't happen any time soon. Thanks!

I've played all three Gothics + Risen and I still think Gothic 2 is my favorite. Risen of course has the most polish being the most recent. However, Gothic 2 has so much more to it than Risen. Beware though if you thought Risen was tough, Gothic 2 is even tougher. I took it as a challenge though; once you get to that point where you can really build your character, you can take off and become really powerful.

With every new iteration of Mount and Blade it seems the whole mod community migrates to the latest one. Is Warband worth buying now that the newest game is out?

TheExodu5

Banned
Forkball said:
WTF the new M&B comes out in four days? I want to pick it up, but I want to hear impressions first.

And Mount and Blade Warband is worth $6 for the multiplayer. It's pretty damn tough, slow, and unforgiving, but also exciting and fun.

I've been playing it on easy. It's been bit too easy...not enough bandits roaming the map.

I'll be getting the new M&B regardless, since I've more than gotten my money's worth out of Warband.

Lasthope106 said:
With every new iteration of Mount and Blade it seems the whole mod community migrates to the latest one. Is Warband worth buying now that the newest game is out?

It depends. It's $6 and a really cheap entry into the series. Also, since it's a different setting with different units, singleplayer might feel different.

Fire & Sword is not really on a discount at all, so the worst case scenario is that you really like Warband and buy Fire & Sword and pay an extra $6. On the other hand, if you don't play it much and don't care for it, you're only out $6 instead of $13.

Also, it's going to probably take time for some of the more popular mods to make it to Fire & Sword (or maybe they'll never make it at all). You'll get your money's worth out of Warband, that's for sure.

Forkball

TheExodu5 said:
I've been playing it on easy. It's been bit too easy...not enough bandits roaming the map.
Well, I was referring to the multiplayer. The controls are pretty different and strict, but there are a lot of really skilled players who will slice you up in one strike.

Also Fire and Steel has a TF2 preorder bonus. I'm going to cave in and buy it, aren't I?

Salsa

Forkball said:
Well, I was referring to the multiplayer. The controls are pretty different and strict, but there are a lot of really skilled players who will slice you up in one strike.

Also Fire and Steel has a TF2 preorder bonus. I'm going to cave in and buy it, aren't I?

Im pre-ordering if i can find some dumbass who buys me the items for five bucks.

TheExodu5

Banned
Forkball said:

Yeah some people in multiplayer are ridiculous. Basically, the concept is quite simple. You can attack in up to 4 different directions (left swing, right swind, overhead, stab). You can also block in 4 different directions. If you see an enemy go for a stab, you block down. If he goes for an overhead, you block up. The problem is some of these people are so fast at switching directions and reading your attacks that they just decimate you. Still lots of fun though. Ever kill has felt like an accomplishment for me, especially in the CRPG mod.

As for the controls...they make sense. Your standard WASD. To control the direction of your swing, you just move your mouse in that direction before the swing (you can set this in the options). If you want to do an overhead, you move your mouse up and then attack. Easy enough. Hard to master though.

Salsa

People say ping doesnt matter in Warband but i got my ass handed to me many times even after i got decent at it. The hit detection being somewhat loose (dont get me wrong, it works this way) + high ping leading to lag issues make the MP kind of a chore to me.

Noogy

The devs behind Capsized sent me a Steam code and I've had a chance to run through the first couple levels.

I first found out about Capsized some years ago (it's an XNA-based title) and always thought it looked amazing. I was thrilled to see it pop up on the Steam store last week, and even more so now that I've played it.

First off, the game is beautiful. Tons of great hand-painted art, and lots of little details that make the world come alive. The character art (in-game and in cutscenes) is very unique, and I'm really digging the monster designs.

The game has a linear level structure, but each level is fairly big, with a LOT of exploration to find secrets. Controls (I'm playing with a 360 pad) are really well done, and combat is very fun. The hookshot/grapple in particular is well thought out, considering how hard it is to nail that in a game.

Overall the game really reminds me of Slime World on the Lynx.

I really look forward to playing more tonight, but I recommend everyone trying it when it hits tomorrow.

Noogy

LastWindow said:
Thanks for that impression of Capsized. Good to know there's a lot of exploration.

Yep, so far the first couple levels were fairly large, and you can replay them to collect/find secrets. I don't know if there is a persistant abilities-upgrade system, a la Metroid, but I have been picking up new weapons and such.

I forgot to mention that there seem to be a lot of physics based puzzles (mostly to access areas), so you're not shooting non-stop.

TheExodu5 said:
You guys with your industry hookups are making me jealous.
Heh, well, I was quite surprised and honored the devs sent me a code. I believe we may have chatted long ago, so it was very kind of them to remember me (I'm an XNA dev myself).

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
None whatsoever.

To anyone wanting to check out Mount & Blade: do not buy the original. Just get Warband and/or Fire & Sword.
Hah. If I already own the original, is there any reason to play it? (I don't own Warband.)

Nice deal. I might pick up M&B Warband. The breadth of content it has surprised me, even on the demo of vanilla M&B, as well as the freedom to go about your business as you see fit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Twig said:
Hah. If I already own the original, is there any reason to play it? (I don't own Warband.)

If you don't own Warband, sure. In terms of the singleplayer, Warband is just a more polished version of the game.

M&B feels like an alpha version of the game, while Warband feels like a beta. It's got a bit of that jankiness that you expect from a European RPG or strategy game, but it's completely fresh and very engrossing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Either buy Warband now, and Fire & Sword later (if you like Warband and want more), or just Fire & Sword.

We don't know much about Fire & Sword yet, so I think Warband is a good place to start. At the very worst, you're out an extra $6 if you end up buying Fire & Sword and ditching Warband. Otherwise, you'll still have a great game with a ton of mods and a lively multiplayer community.

At this point, we don't really know what will happen to the multiplayer community. Will they switch over the Fire & Sword? No idea.

Salsa

Sarcasm said:
I don't have any M&B games but tried out demo of Warband. I have interest. What shall I buy?

Latest one if that's an option.

The ideal would be Warband + With Fire and Sword

Considering they take place in different settings and all, i think with fire and sword must be the first actual sequel.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
If you don't own Warband, sure. In terms of the singleplayer, Warband is just a more polished version of the game.

M&B feels like an alpha version of the game, while Warband feels like a beta. It's got a bit of that jankiness that you expect from a European RPG or strategy game, but it's completely fresh and very engrossing.
Haha, all right. I love that jank. U:

Maybe I'll actually get to it this summerrrrr. Only one project left and I'm done with the semesterrrrr. Grrrrr.

TheExodu5

Banned
Since Fire & Sword is only $0.50 or so, you might as well just start with Warband and get Fire & Sword at your leisure. Wait for impressions if you want to, or wait longer until a sale if you must (though that might take a few months).

Fire & Sword likely won't have much mod support for a while, so Warband is probably going to be the fuller game for the time being (unless they've made it completely backwards compatible with modules...no word on that).

D2D has Napoleon total war on sale for $13. Excellent timing because I was looking into getting my self a copy but $30 on steam was kinda steep for me. So I just grabbed a key from them and activated it on steam. Now to stare at a download bar for hours.

Saige

I must do better.
Picked up M&B: Fire & Sword and Drakensang: The River of Time.

Hopefully that will ease the wait for The Witcher 2.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey guys, I thought I'd ask here, anyone know why AudioSurf has never come to any other platform? Not even OS X. It seems really strange, is that guy up to anything?

Twig

Banned
StuBurns said:
Hey guys, I thought I'd ask here, anyone know why AudioSurf has never come to any other platform? Not even OS X. It seems really strange, is that guy up to anything?
I dunno anything specific, but he did say about the Valve ARG that it was hard coming back to the Audiosurf code after being away from it for so long, so I can only assume he's been busy elsewhere.

Sippin' on gin 'n' juice.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
It's on the Quest 3D engine which is a wretched piece of shit and only supports Windows platforms. It isn't worth it to rewrite the engine for Apple computers.

Hopefully for the sequel he uses something else as everything in Audiosurf other than the engine if fucking the greatest thing ever.

StuBurns

Banned
I did some googling and apparently bringing it to OS X is something he wants to do and has been requested a few times but he can't say when, so maybe. If the engine is a mess or not I'm sure they could just port it wholesale, even a ciderskin would probably get it running fine on most systems.

I only mentioned it because it seems like a good fit for consoles too, but I guess he's happy with how the PC version did, and it did do very well.

Sarcasm

TheExodu5 said:
Since Fire & Sword is only $0.50 or so, you might as well just start with Warband and get Fire & Sword at your leisure. Wait for impressions if you want to, or wait longer until a sale if you must (though that might take a few months).

Fire & Sword likely won't have much mod support for a while, so Warband is probably going to be the fuller game for the time being (unless they've made it completely backwards compatible with modules...no word on that).

If I buy warband and preorder its 19.99.

If I buy complete..M&B, warband, and preorder..its 19.99.

Guess complete pack it is.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
I did some googling and apparently bringing it to OS X is something he wants to do and has been requested a few times but he can't say when, so maybe. If the engine is a mess or not I'm sure they could just port it wholesale, even a ciderskin would probably get it running fine on most systems.

I only mentioned it because it seems like a good fit for consoles too, but I guess he's happy with how the PC version did, and it did do very well.
Are their any console games that use music that the user supplies? The "HD" twins may frown upon that. Also, he doesn't seem interested in getting a publisher which would be required on 360.

MNC

Such ugly hats. Valve should keep a tighter lid on what hats other developers make for TF2 because this is getting really bad.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Are their any console games that use music that the user supplies? The "HD" twins may frown upon that. Also, he doesn't seem interested in getting a publisher which would be required on 360.
I'm not sure, I assumed it'd be possible because you can certainly do in-game custom soundtracks on both, but I don't know that you can use those tracks to produce game content, so maybe that is the hurdle, or at least one amongst the publisher issue you mentioned, or lack of interest in porting it even.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The closest I can think of is Wipeout HD, but it's more of a glorified custom soundtrack than anything. In Zone mode the track will pulsate with your tunes and there are equalizers that you can see on the track too, it's pretty trippy.

I'll have to check out AudioSurf one of these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom