• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
How typical is it that people tell me to get a game for my birthday because it never goes on sale, and the very next day it goes on sale? I'm not complaining, but I actually had a feeling that was going to happen.

Blizzard

Banned
someguyinahat said:
How typical is it that people tell me to get a game for my birthday because it never goes on sale, and the very next day it goes on sale? I'm not complaining, but I actually had a feeling that was going to happen.
Don't worry, it's still not on sale on Steam, so you can wait another 2 months (3 years) to get it that way.

InertiaXr

Vyer said:
When is the summer sale? (a little more specific than 'the summer', of course)

I don't believe Valve ever release in advance when their sales are, but last years summer "Perils of Summer" sale was June 25-July 4th.

marrec

Banned
Minsc said:
fixed
you also would need a Bloodlines avatar to show you're crazy about it, and probably not be a junior

I've bought games that were total garbage for 20 bucks and been fine afterwards, Bloodlines is a phenomenal game worth the 20 dollar asking price. It is the only CRPG my fiancée has ever finished (besides Castle of the Winds...), not that such anecdotes mean much to Gaf, but it will always hold a special place in my heart for that reason alone.

I understand the allure of the Steam sale however, as I have yet to pick up NWN2. I missed the first sale and have been waiting patiently for another.

Salsa

Added 50 bucks to the Steam Wallet. First time using it actually.

Im hoping it'll last until the summer sales but HAHAH

Blizzard

Banned
SalsaShark said:

Hey man, I've got all these TF2 crates. Some of them probably have items! Some are even series 9! Now all you gotta do is buy some keys with that Steam wallet money...

*edit* DARN YOU KIRBY

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:

Think of all the Railworks DLC you could buy.

Nabs

SalsaShark said:

You're going to buy every random indie game now. It happens to the best of us.

plc268

Yea... I kinda wish I played the demo of Capsized before I bought the game. It's not terrible by any stretch... but at the same time it's not very good. I've been playing with a 360 controller, and I've been fighting the controls the entire way. So far the game has been boring. Movement and jumping is weird as well.

Oh well, only 9 bucks. At least an indie got some money out of it.

Blizzard

Banned
plc268 said:
Yea... I kinda wish I played the demo of Capsized before I bought the game. It's not terrible by any stretch... but at the same time it's not very good. I've been playing with a 360 controller, and I've been fighting the controls the entire way. So far the game has been boring. Movement and jumping is weird as well.

If you've ever played a game like Soldat, I think the jumping and aiming is similar to that. It seems most appropriate for mouse and keyboard control, and I can imagine gamepad would be tough.

I don't think it's the best game ever, but it seemed relatively well made and worth supporting for a couple of guys making a game, plus the Solar Fields music is neat.

Nabs

plc268 said:

Always try the demo when available.

Have you tried playing with a M/KB? TWIMTBP.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SalsaShark said:

SalsaShark has no resolve, we should take bets on how long that 50$ lasts.

16 days.

plc268

Nabs said:
Always try the demo when available.

Have you tried playing with a M/KB? TWIMTBP.

Well, I was actually going to try the demo, but I got some weird error from steam saying I already had the full version installed. I restarted steam, still had the same issue, so I said "fuck it" and bought it anyway.

But yea, I'll try it with M/KB later tonight. I just figured that a controller would lend itself nicely to the game, but instead it's pretty awkward.

AcridMeat

Banned
After hearing the music with the intro to Capsized I was sold. I'll get more impressions after the full game installs. Bit weird, I bought it and the demo disappeared from that list. I wonder where that 200mb went.

The demo folder still existed in steamapps, just deleted it.

Salsa

plc268, use Keyboard/Mouse, seriously. I tried a controller early today just to see what kind of pain some gaffers where going through and it is near impossible to play. With Kb/m it feels like a sidescrolling FPS (like Soldat). You get used to the controls and start doing fast/twitch-like shit that feels all kinds of awesome.

Also i am completely immune to TF2 items, ha!

cheap games though :(

plc268 said:

Yeah, it's actually not a very good game. The art work is insane though, so there's that.

gotee12

For the curious...

The version of Universe Sandbox that is on Steam is then same version as Universe Sandbox 2 available for purchase from the dev's website. The only difference being that the Steam version is currently $8.99 and the version from the dev's website is $29.99. Which is a pretty big difference imho...

Steam version
Dev forum post concerning versions

plc268

gotee12 said:
For the curious...

The version of Universe Sandbox that is on Steam is then same version as Universe Sandbox 2 available for purchase from the dev's website. The only difference being that the Steam version is currently $8.99 and the version from the dev's website is $29.99. Which is a pretty big difference imho...

Steam version
Dev forum post concerning versions

There's also a 1 hour time limited demo:
http://download.universesandbox.com/universe-sandbox-setup.exe

Seems fun to mess around with... I might pick it up.

Thanks for the Mount and Blade info. I'm kind of interested, but I don't know much about it. Are there sim/management aspects? Been playing a lot of Victoria and Patrician and am in the mood to continue managing things.

corn_fest

3chopl0x said:
Universe Sandbox

Only on PC is there a market for gravity simulators.
Oh man. This actually looks fucking awesome. I've always wanted a program that could do these sorts of simulations. I'm guessing it's not extremely scientifically accurate or anything, but it looks good enough to play around with.

corn_fest said:
Oh man. This actually looks fucking awesome. I've always wanted a program that could do these sorts of simulations. I'm guessing it's not extremely scientifically accurate or anything, but it looks good enough to play around with.

It's excellent. There's definitely some degree of accuracy. I've only been playing around with it for about 15 minutes.

There's a really cool speed of light feature where you select an object and can emit a pulse of light from it. It shows you, graphically, how fast light moves from that object.

You can also change a planets orbit and see how it affects the planets around it, or explode an object and see where the pieces go.

Lot's more to play around with.

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh man, why are you guys hating on Capsized? It's freaking awesome so far.

Okay I'm biased, the soundtrack has music I actually listen to, Solar Fields.

I got a good laugh out of a line from Vampire: Bloodline's user agreement(damn you South Park).

There was basically a line saying that you will never install it to your HDD and only run it from your disc. But I bought it from D2D, HOW CAN I AGREE TO THE IMPOSSIBLE!?!?

So I take it I should download the unofficial 7.4 weps5 patch? I've heard it's pretty much a necessity.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AcridMeat said:
Oh man, why are you guys hating on Capsized? It's freaking awesome so far.

Okay I'm biased, the soundtrack has music I actually listen to, Solar Fields.
Some are playing the game with a controller which is like just frustrating.

Echoplx

Aside from a few technical things that frustrate me the game is great. It seems some people were expecting a kind of metroidvania game when that's not what it's meant to be.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm glad I finally picked up Warband, it seems really cool. I'll stick with single player for now but once I get comfortable I might see what the online is all about.

adaen

Quick question:

I already own the first two Mount & Blade games; if I buy the complete pack the first two are giftable, right?

Polk

adaen said:
Quick question:

I already own the first two Mount & Blade games; if I buy the complete pack the first two are giftable, right?
Rule of the thumb is NO. Unless they say so.

Trickster

Dunno if this is the right topic to ask this, but here goes.

I just got a 2Tb ekstern hdd that I would like to move steam+all my downloaded steam games over too. My question is if I can just Cut and Paste the entire steam folder into the ekstern hdd like I would with a normal video or audio file?

And also, how to I make sure that any future games I download via steam will get downloaded into the new location instead of the current location? I've checked the settings etc, but can't seem to find an option for where I want games to get downloaded to.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Trickster said:

I just got a 2Tb ekstern hdd that I would like to move steam+all my downloaded steam games over too. My question is if I can just Cut and Paste the entire steam folder into the ekstern hdd like I would with a normal video or audio file?

And also, how to I make sure that any future games I download via steam will get downloaded into the new location instead of the current location? I've checked the settings etc, but can't seem to find an option for where I want games to get downloaded to.
Here's the official procedure. It worked fine for me.

The following instructions are a simple way to move your Steam installation along with your games:

1. Exit the Steam client application.
2. Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).
3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
4. Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
5. Launch Steam and log into your account.

Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder (D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\ in this example)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Trickster said:

You should be able to move the Steam folder just fine. It may say that it needs to be reinstalled, but in my experience that hasn't been necessary. If you do have to reinstall it, just copy/paste your steamapps folder into the new location.

As long as you run Steam from its new location, it'll automatically download files to that particular steamapps folder.

Edit: Beaten by seconds.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
Some are playing the game with a controller which is like just frustrating.

I didn't post any impressions in this thread, but I used m/k and didn't like the demo. It's a beautiful game, was just expecting something different.

The price is great. Artwork beautiful. Would recommend the demo to everyone to try for themselves. YMMV.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
I didn't post any impressions in this thread, but I used m/k and didn't like the demo. It's a beautiful game, was just expecting something different.
Which is why I said "Some" and not "Everyone."

plc268

SalsaShark said:
plc268, use Keyboard/Mouse, seriously. I tried a controller early today just to see what kind of pain some gaffers where going through and it is near impossible to play. With Kb/m it feels like a sidescrolling FPS (like Soldat). You get used to the controls and start doing fast/twitch-like shit that feels all kinds of awesome.

Also i am completely immune to TF2 items, ha!

cheap games though :(

Yea, just tried m/kb, and it's infinitely more enjoyable. I still find movement to be a bit weird, but I'll get used to it.

Edit:

Bot match is pretty fun as well... I'd love to eventually see a multiplayer deathmatch mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom