• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rj118

Does anyone know where Universe Sandbox saves layered screenshots? Checked all over in the program files with no luck.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks for the Mount and Blade info. I'm kind of interested, but I don't know much about it. Are there sim/management aspects? Been playing a lot of Victoria and Patrician and am in the mood to continue managing things.

Very few. Think more Sid Meier's Pirates. You can end up leading a kingdom and giving orders to your lords and such, but it's very light compared to those two you named.

Darklord

Banned
I tried the Universe Sandbox demo and it's insanely buggy. Almost half the time I try and do things it says an error has occurred. The camera goes spastic sometimes and it wouldn't stop flickering once and I had to restart the game. This was all in about 15 minutes...

coopolon

Syphon Filter said:
Should i get a 360 controller or F310 logitech?

360 controller. The F310 isn't even all that fancy is it? You can program keys on the 360 controller with multiple 3rd party apps, and that's the only advantage I'm aware of for the F310. But even if it does have advantages, the 360 controllers broad support base makes it a no brainer.

Edit: The logitech probably has a better d-pad.

AcridMeat

Banned
I just booted up Warband again, the multiplayer is as rewarding/frustrating as I remember.

Still do pretty well on a horse with a lance though.

1-D_FTW

Finally got around to starting Dead Space after purchasing god knows when.

I can't believe how amazing the game looks. 1080P@60fps with D3Doverider and the GTX 460 is mostly in the low 40% utilization range. That is one amazing engine they created there. Not only super efficient, but atmosphere out the wazoo.

1-D_FTW said:

I can't believe how amazing the game looks. 1080P@60fps with D3Doverider and the GTX 460 is mostly in the low 40% utilization range. That is one amazing engine they created there. Not only super efficient, but atmosphere out the wazoo.

Agreed, Dead Space still looks quite good

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
gregor7777 said:
Agreed, Dead Space still looks quite good
I have to try playing it again. I was thrown off by the offset third person perspective. That definitely takes getting used to.

Yaboosh said:
I have to try playing it again. I was thrown off by the offset third person perspective. That definitely takes getting used to.

It's worth it. The story gets a little weird, but it's worth playing for the setpieces alone. The game does an excellent job of making you feel small in this massive ship.

CoolS

Guy just wondering, is there just the Steam Holiday sale? I seem to remember there was a secon one last year. Or am I imagining things?

plc268

Darklord said:
I tried the Universe Sandbox demo and it's insanely buggy. Almost half the time I try and do things it says an error has occurred. The camera goes spastic sometimes and it wouldn't stop flickering once and I had to restart the game. This was all in about 15 minutes...

Yea, I've had it do that to me a few times... but to it's credit, I only really had it do that when I did something crazy... like spawn several black holes in the middle of the solar system or something... or make the time stepping 1 billion years per second.

Despite all that, it's still fun to mess around with.

Edit: It's not very accurate either once you mess with the time stepping. I simulated the Solar System where 1 real second equaled 1 yr, and the inner rocky planets were immediately ejected from the solar system.

Ledsen

1-D_FTW said:

Yeah it's still one of the best looking and running games on the 360 as well.

Aight, I'll just put a stop to Mount & Blade's install and delete the local content. I'll dive into Warband's single player before I even think of touching the multiplayer. The game sounds kind of ridiculous and complex.

Ionic

plc268 said:
Edit: It's not very accurate either once you mess with the time stepping. I simulated the Solar System where 1 real second equaled 1 yr, and the inner rocky planets were immediately ejected from the solar system.

This isn't really Universe Sandbox's fault. It's the nature of simulations. Turning up the time stepping makes your computer do fewer calculations per simulated unit of time, so it would make sense that a planet would fly out of its orbit because its tangential velocity takes it out of orbit of the sun before it could calculate a new velocity that would retain orbit. Naturally, this happens with the inner planets first as their velocity changes much faster than the outer planets given the small radius of their orbit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jaundicejuice said:
So do I only want to install Warband since it's just a remake/improvement of the first Mount & Blade?

As far as I have heard, Warband renders M&B vanilla obsolete. No need to install it.

TheExodu5

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Aight, I'll just put a stop to Mount & Blade's install and delete the local content. I'll dive into Warband's single player before I even think of touching the multiplayer. The game sounds kind of ridiculous and complex.

The multiplayer is very simple. It's just difficult to master.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's a little...low budget but so far I'm enjoying it alot. I love the combat, charging through a battfield on a horse with my army behind me is pretty badass. Nice music, too.

Right now I'm stumped trying to find some enemy bandits. They are no where on the map. :(

LOL, I found them but they were all shielded and on horseback. RIP my entire party.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I, too put some more hours into Warband. I ended up meeting the King and I had done enough for his kingdom that he made me an official Vassal and gave me my first town <3

Ironically, after that I didn't know what to do, anymore. Other Vassals wouldn't give me quests any more because they said the quests would be beneath me. I tried sieging an enemy castle but some host of like 200 dudes came up and pwned me. The game got a bit aimless, at that point.

I reached Vassal status fairly sloppily, too. Whenever I would see my kingdom in a battle with the opposing kingdom I would rush in to help. And it would always be our like 120 troops left fighting their 14 troops, ha. So we'd win and then everyone would congratulate me on my "victory." But hey I'm not complaining I'll take it.

One question - I actually captured two named opposing commanders, and took them as prisoners. But I couldn't figure out anything to do with them and they eventually escaped. I assumed I could deliver them to a jail for loyalty points or something?

Edit: Do we have a Warband thread? I feel bad for taking over this one.

So steam worked perfectly on my iMac, but on this Macbook i'm getting the 'can't run on a case insensitive volume'. If I make a partition for steam, what kind of formatting should I do? Really want to play Portal 2 and finish HL2-Ep2 whilst on holidays.

Damn, someone must complain about this every month but I really wish Steam would let people use custom icons/grid pictures.
Not having that is akin to itunes not allowing album art for anything but stuff bought through the itunes store. :(

Remy

POWERSPHERE said:
So steam worked perfectly on my iMac, but on this Macbook i'm getting the 'can't run on a case insensitive volume'. If I make a partition for steam, what kind of formatting should I do? Really want to play Portal 2 and finish HL2-Ep2 whilst on holidays.

"Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" is the standard.

Blizzard

Banned
Man, one advantage of Steam really is having your games in one place. I didn't buy Arma II in the most recent sale ($8 for the main game, $24 for Arrowhead or so?), but apparently I had completely forgotten already buying BOTH GAMES on Amazon digital download for a combined $12.50. Better price, but I didn't remember I had them. XD

Of course, since it's the Amazon downloader, there may very well be no way to download 6GB of game files without the whole thing being corrupted. It looks like multiple people have had this issue (including on GAF) so I'm trying to see if I can download even a 3GB game without file corruption.

Is there no game-part of Universe Sandbox? I mean, it looks like the coolest simulator ever, but I wonder if its just the ultimate god sim.

So I take it that the wired 360 controller is pretty much the defacto gaming pad to get for PC? I picked up Super Meat Boy at retail (because it has an awesome package) and it instantly felt wrong to be using the keyboard to play the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jaundicejuice said:
So I take it that the wired 360 controller is pretty much the defacto gaming pad to get for PC? I picked up Super Meat Boy at retail (because it has an awesome package) and it instantly felt wrong to be using the keyboard to play the game.

If you don't have a PS3 pad already lying around, it's definitely the way to go. It's pretty much the standard controller for PC games, and it'll always be accurate with button prompts, unlike the PS3 pad I use for my PC games.

Nabs

jaundicejuice said:
Yup.

epmode

jaundicejuice said:
Wired 360 pad for general analog and most modern games
Saturn USB for general digital and console emulation (since the 360's pad is horrendous)
Street Fighter Tournament Edition stick for arcade stuff

Also: A flight stick for the new TIE Fighter and Freespace games that are sure to come out in the next year or two

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
jaundicejuice said:
Yes.

It may be the one good thing out of Microsoft's entire GFW initiative. Most console-style games fully support the 360 pad, including correctly labeled button prompts. Much better to have a game tell you to press A or X or RB instead of button 3, button 7 and button 9.

Ledsen

jaundicejuice said:

It is, but be prepared for right thumb blisters if you use it for SMB.

Bear

benjipwns said:
Where's the USAMA KILLED SALE?

Joking guys, have a good week fellow Steam fans!

We'll see what's on sale in a few hours. I'm expecting Battlefield of Honor 4: Modern Strike 2

Every shooter that takes place in the Middle East that has ever been released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom