• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

jaundicejuice said:
So I take it that the wired 360 controller is pretty much the defacto gaming pad to get for PC? I picked up Super Meat Boy at retail (because it has an awesome package) and it instantly felt wrong to be using the keyboard to play the game.

I'm replacing my wireless 360 with the Razer Onza (seen as 360 controller on PC) as soon as Best Buy gets some new stock in. From what I can see, it seems like the new champion.

Current controller has become a worthless POS because the stick drift is out of control. When it kicks in badly, I can't even play games. I preferred the d-pad in Nimbus, but the left stick was drifting and I had dualing inputs occuring while playing. This is after having the chord shorting out in my previous 360 controller. Razer build quality can't be any worse, and hopefully they have their standard warranty in place.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
I'm replacing my wireless 360 with the Razer Onza (seen as 360 controller on PC) as soon as Best Buy gets some new stock in. From what I can see, it seems like the new champion.
Brilliant decision on someone's part.

kamspy

You need to start an impressions about the Razer controller x PC experience after you've had some time with it. I'm very interested in getting one, I'd just like to make sure the functionality is 100% the same as a regular 360 pad.

The D-PAD is still garbage. Just FYI.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Other than having different triggers, it's the same. Triggers are a lot longer and have more movement, so I guess it'd be better for acceleration in racing games, but it feels weird in FPSes (even though the amount to pull in order to fire is minuscule, it's just strange to have that much more to pull to hit the end).

Face buttons = mechanical, so they feel infinitely better.

I think the DPAD is fine for FPSes that use it for actions or abilities, since they're distinct buttons and there's less chance of hitting a diagonal and getting no reaction. But yeah, for diagonals they're garbage.

Veal

I'm using a Logitech F310. Outside of not having rumble, (there's another model that does) it's a pretty good controller! The d-pad is nice, and it uses X-input and Direct-input so it's pretty much compatible with everything. And the software is easy to use to set up keyboard or mouse emulation for those few (Vanguard Princess!!) that are stubborn about inputs! And it's cheap! I know this post sounds kinda viral marketeerish, but it's honestly a good controller and it replaced my wired 360 pad effortlessly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gregor7777 said:
I just bought BC2 on Steam last night. I guarantee that's what goes on sale next lol.
I feel like an idiot for jumping on it for 20 when I first put my PC together 3 months ago. It's been on sale for 5 like 3 times since lol

Veal said:
I'm using a Logitech F310. Outside of not having rumble, (there's another model that does) it's a pretty good controller! The d-pad is nice, and it uses X-input and Direct-input so it's pretty much compatible with everything. And the software is easy to use to set up keyboard or mouse emulation for those few (Vanguard Princess!!) that are stubborn about inputs! And it's cheap! I know this post sounds kinda viral marketeerish, but it's honestly a good controller and it replaced my wired 360 pad effortlessly.

I'm thinking about getting the wireless 710. though I don't know if it's better to get a 360 controller or this

Echoplx

LiquidMetal14 said:
I feel like an idiot for jumping on it for 20 when I first put my PC together 3 months ago. It's been on sale for 5 like 3 times since lol

Not on Steam, I think it was 7$ once and that's it.

Echoplx

&Divius said:
Can anyone tell me what's the lowest Amnesia ever sold for on Steam?

6$ iirc

EDIT:: $4.80 if you owned any of the Penumbra games.

PbyK8.png

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
&Divius said:
Can anyone tell me what's the lowest Amnesia ever sold for on Steam?
imo, if you see Amnesia on sale you should use it as a reminder and rush to their official website and pay full price for it anyways. hahaha

edit: Mount and Blade is incredible. Way more addictive than I thought it was going to be.

seeds19

Banned
I have a Razer onza, the first impressions are very good, but one week later, the A button stop working, two weeks later the rb trigger stop working, 3 weeks later the pad is in the garbage, I own a razer mice and i'm surprised for the bag off crap the pad is compared to their products, and the customers services are shit (at least in europe), if you have a stock 360 controller stay with it, don't waste the money.

And of course the D-pad are usseles, great for shooter's, crap for other games.

TheExodu5

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
edit: Mount and Blade is incredible. Way more addictive than I thought it was going to be.

Yeah, if you get into it, it can be hard to stop.

seeds19 said:
I have a Razer onza, the first impressions are very good, but one week later, the A button stop working, two weeks later the rb trigger stop working, 3 weeks later the pad is in the garbage, I own a razer mice and i'm surprised for the bag off crap the pad is compared to their products, and the customers services are shit (at least in europe), if you have a stock 360 controller stay with it, don't waste the money.

And of course the D-pad are usseles, great for shooter's, crap for other games.

After having owned a Mamba (well, still using it), I won't be going Razer again. Build quality is just not very good at all.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Consider this a forewarning.

Do not buy King Arthur, even if it's a dollar. The performance is inexcusably bad, regardless of where the settings are.

I'm not the only one seeing this, either. There's threads on RPS and the Steam forum, discussing this issue.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
crimsonheadGCN said:
F.E.A.R. 3 will most likely be a Steamworks title, since the GamersGate page kinda confirms it:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FEAR3/fear-3?aff=fb

Note: GFWL titles have "Other DRM." Steam titles have "Requires a 3rd party download and account."

Since it's being published by WB then there is a pretty good chance that they'll be using Steamworks for the new Batman.
I hope so fucking bad they use Steamworks for the new Batman because backing up saves for Arkham Asylum was quite possibly the greatest clusterfuck I have ever encountered on PC.

Echoplx

K.Jack said:

Do not buy King Arthur, even if it's a dollar. The performance is inexcusably bad, regardless of where the settings are.

I'm not the only one seeing this, either. There's threads on RPS and the Steam forum, discussing this issue.

Runs fine for me, 45FPS very high 2560x1440 on a GTX470

TheExodu5 said:
I bought it for like $2 last sale. It's really awful. Terrible game.

Get a Total War game instead.

Is it that bad? I bought it for $2 or so way back when and it's been sitting in my backlog forever, I was finally going to give it a shot soon though.

Veal

From The Dust said:
I'm thinking about getting the wireless 710. though I don't know if it's better to get a 360 controller or this
Well Logitech generally makes good products and build quality is usually not an issue with them. A few things that may swing you more towards buying the 360 pad are the triggers and stick placement. The triggers have a ton of resistance but the travel is shorter the 360 pad. Dirt 2 was a little weird at first, but I quickly acclimated. I generally like asymmetrical stick placement, so I guess I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a variant version out there.

LiquidMetal14 said:

Eh, I'd be pissed if it went on sale literally the next day but otherwise I don't mind when that happens. I needed a new multi game.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
3chopl0x said:
Rns fine for me, 45FPS very high 2560x1440 on a GTX470
That's the thing. There seems to be no consistent reason, for some having poor performance, while others are good to go.

It's not an AMD vs Nvidia thing either.

Here's something I noticed today:

katrgp.png

That's mid-battle. The game is using next to none of my CPU.

I'm getting the same sub-20 frames, regardless of whether I'm on 1080p or 800x600.

Stallion Free said:
I hope so fucking bad they use Steamworks for the new Batman because backing up saves for Arkham Asylum was quite possibly the greatest clusterfuck I have ever encountered on PC.

Copying a .sav file was that difficult?

Edit: Not trying to sound like an ass. Just really not understanding why it was difficult.

K.Jack said:

Runs fine for me as well, and it's really not a bad game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gregor7777 said:
Eh, I'd be pissed if it went on sale literally the next day but otherwise I don't mind when that happens. I needed a new multi game.
I needed that one game to test my PC with and I picked it for that reason. I waited on Crysis to go on sale before rebuying that for a second time though.

LocoMrPollock said:

Edit: Not trying to sound like an ass. Just really not understanding why it was difficult.

I'm betting it had everything to do with games for windows.

As for that king arthur game I too haven't really had any problems with the game but I haven't put a ton of time into it. It ran well though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LocoMrPollock said:

I'm not sure if they changed in GOTY edition, but in the original release, my saves refused to be "valid" unless I backed up my GFWL profile info... which I found out too late. They never warn you or explain any part of it and the profile stuff wasn't in the same folder. It was needlessly complicated.

From another forum explaining it better:
Just for reference, if anyone needs to back up their Batman AA saves, you have to back up these folders:

\Users\<your profile>\Documents\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\SaveData

and the hidden folders:

\Users\<your profile>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive
\Users\<your profile>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive

I didn't back up the GFWL and Xlive folders, so there's no way I can get my old saves back

But, yeah you sound like an ass whether you were trying to or not. I mean it took me 15 seconds of googling to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

Ickman3400 said:
As for that king arthur game I too haven't really had any problems with the game but I haven't put a ton of time into it. It ran well though.
Ditto for me. Although that was only about 10 minutes before uninstalling it because I didn't need yet another game to distract me from my backlog wait list.

LocoMrPollock said:

Yeah, it's a pain in the dick. GFWL inexplicably encrypts your save games and ties them to your profile as well as something apparently random. So unless you backup both your save as well as your profile data you're boned if you ever want to resume from that save. That means that you can't just download someone else's save from the Internet nor can you just sign into your own profile on a fresh GFWL install and use just the save file.

The GFWL overlay crashed on me while I was playing Arkham Asylum and took my save with it. I was like 80% of the way through it. Had to start all over again. Man, it's a shame that such a great game was punctuated by such garbage. GFWL and Securom online activation? C'mon people.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
cackhyena said:
I wish you could mark games and get a notice from Steam when they went on sale. that would be boss.
Ah I was hoping that would happen with the stuff I put on my wishlist.

Danneee

slidewinder said:
I'm surprised more people around here don't use GameSave Manager. It's free, regularly updated, and deals well with potentially problematic saves, GFWL or otherwise.

Man, this would have been a blessing like a month ago. Crud.

Thanks for the heads up though!

cackhyena said:
I wish you could mark games and get a notice from Steam when they went on sale. that would be boss.
The Wishlist will do that! Except, you don't get an email/text or other notification, really, when something's on sale. But it's a quick way to see if anything you want has a lower price.

epmode

LocoMrPollock said:

Copying a single save file does NOT work for GFWL. Because MS is so terrified that we'll be able to share save files (read: achievements) with other people, they made it so that the save file is also linked to your GFWL profile. You need to back up a bunch of files from two separate locations or the save file won't work.

I lost a few massive saves in a reformat because of this.

edit: Oh, beaten.

plc268

slidewinder said:
I'm surprised more people around here don't use GameSave Manager. It's free, regularly updated, and deals well with potentially problematic saves, GFWL or otherwise.

Some one needs to create a PSA for PC gamers to get them using this program. I've been championing it for months, but hardly anyone listens.

Stitch

Gold Member
slidewinder said:
omg this is awesome. thank you <3

oh btw it's EA Week on steam, dragon age is on sale :lol not a single fuck was given that day...

epmode said:
Copying a single save file does NOT work for GFWL. Because MS is so terrified that we'll be able to share save files (read: achievements) with other people, achievements), they made it so that the save file is also linked to your GFWL profile. You need to back up a bunch of files from two separate locations or the save file won't work.

You can just copy the .sav file and then start a new game and rename/replace it as well. Works so long as it's the same profile. I do it all the time.

Guess it is a bit more of a hassle then it should be, but it's not really rocket surgery either.

Stallion Free said:
But, yeah you sound like an ass whether you were trying to or not. I mean it took me 15 seconds of googling to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

Yeah, I always just used the above method. I figured it out myself because, for some reason only known to the devs of Flatout: UC, the online and offline saves are separate and don't share the same data. But yeah, it works with every GFWL game I own, even on different PC's.

Ionic

plc268 said:
Some one needs to create a PSA for PC gamers to get them using this program. I've been championing it for months, but hardly anyone listens.

Great program. Except when I was ready to reformat my PC and made a file of all my saves with it, I somehow forgot to actually back it up anyway. I wish Steam had something like this for games without native cloud support so I could at least have it automatically find all of my save games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom