• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

plc268

Ionic said:
Great program. Except when I was ready to reformat my PC and made a file of all my saves with it, I somehow forgot to actually back it up anyway. I wish Steam had something like this for games without native cloud support so I could at least have it automatically find all of my save games.

You can set the program up to automatically sync to a dropbox account.

It's pretty much automatic, just make sure to make a setting to make archives for each game, and each time you run the program, it'll only update saves that have changed since the last time you ran it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dragon Age Ultimate is still $40 base? Well, lets take a look at what EA games are on steam.

Edit:
Ok, my predictions are going to be

Mass Effect series
Battle Filed Series
Command and Conquer games
Sims Series
Crysis Series
Dead Space Series

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I can't beleive there are games that are across all platforms that don't have Steam achievements, so lazy.. especially considering the hooks are already there for PS3/360.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm going to guess the remaining daily deals will be:

Battlefield, Dead Space/Mirror's Edge, Crysis 1&2, Mass Effect 1&2, Need for Speed, and Spore.

cackhyena

The Broken Ska Record said:
The Wishlist will do that! Except, you don't get an email/text or other notification, really, when something's on sale. But it's a quick way to see if anything you want has a lower price.
Oh, nice! Thanks, brother.

Veal said:
I'm using a Logitech F310. Outside of not having rumble, (there's another model that does) it's a pretty good controller! The d-pad is nice, and it uses X-input and Direct-input so it's pretty much compatible with everything. And the software is easy to use to set up keyboard or mouse emulation for those few (Vanguard Princess!!) that are stubborn about inputs! And it's cheap! I know this post sounds kinda viral marketeerish, but it's honestly a good controller and it replaced my wired 360 pad effortlessly.
What does the dpad feel like? Is it hard?Responsive?

epmode

LocoMrPollock said:
You can just copy the .sav file and then start a new game and rename/replace it as well. Works so long as it's the same profile. I do it all the time.

Guess it is a bit more of a hassle then it should be, but it's not really rocket surgery either.
All I know is that I copied the save files from my games, formatted the computer, installed and launched the game and made sure that I could log in to GFWL. Closed the game, copied the old save files over but they wouldn't work.

You must be smarter than me.

plc268

hamchan said:
When they put Hot Pursuit on sale you should buy it because it's awesome.

$15 or less is my breaking point for Hot Pursuit.

Hopefully there'll be a decent sale on Shift 2 as well, but I doubt we'll get it for anything under $30.

I think I'm safe from this sale, I'm fairly certain I own pretty much any of EA's games that I'm interested in. Dragon Age 2 I doubt I'll buy for anything above 10$.

epmode said:
All I know is that I copied the save files from my games, formatted the computer, installed and launched the game and made sure that I could log in to GFWL. Closed the game, copied the old save files over but they wouldn't work.

You must be smarter than me.

The data was still there, you just had to rename the file to get GFWL to read it. Incredibly stupid, but not hard to manage.

Basically -

backup.sav

Start a new game-

newgame.sav

rename backup.sav to newgame.sav and replace.

Burekma

gregor7777 said:
I just bought BC2 on Steam last night. I guarantee that's what goes on sale next lol.
First I cried because the game's 40€ here and apparently only $20 in the US, but then I laughed because it's EA week.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LocoMrPollock said:
The data was still there, you just had to rename the file to get GFWL to read it. Incredibly stupid, but not hard to manage.

Basically -

backup.sav

Start a new game-

newgame.sav

That doesn't make it any less of a clusterfuck like I initially stated.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sgt.Pepper said:
What's the difference between Dragon Age: Origins with Dragon Age: Origins Awakening? They are at the same price even.
Awakening is the expansion pack. If you don't have either game, get Ultimate which is the main game + expansion + DLC.

BeeDog

Buying the Ultimate Edition on Steam would be much cheaper than buying all the DLC from the Bioware site, but I already have both Origins and Awakenings, hmm...

If I buy the Steam bundle, can I gift the additional Origins + Awakenings? And how is the DLC distributed? Do I get codes I can redeem on the Bioware Social page?

Sober

Sgt.Pepper said:
What's the difference between Dragon Age: Origins with Dragon Age: Origins Awakening? They are at the same price even.
Base game vs expansion. The Ultimate Edition is the better deal but I guess it's so get some extra money out of people who didn't want to get both at once and regret it.

All the DLC too hmm? Sounds tempting even though I bought DAO at retail first week...

Ledsen

LocoMrPollock said:

Basically -

backup.sav

Start a new game-

newgame.sav

So basically this

epmode said:
Copying a single save file does NOT work for GFWL.

is false? I can actually backup only the .sav file, then when I install the game on a new comp, I start a new game and than replace that .sav with my old, backed-up one?

Stallion Free said:
That doesn't make it any less of a clusterfuck like I initially stated.

I don't know, the method you used is most certainly a clusterfuck. I'll give you that.

Anyway, not really much in the way of EA games that I want. Maybe a Deathspank combo pack.

Ledsen said:
I can actually backup only the .sav file, then when I install the game on a new comp, I start a new game and than replace that .sav with my old, backed-up one?

Yes, sir.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
In regards to getting the DAO DLC, I almost would recommend skipping all of it. Other than the two that are built in to the main game (Shale + Warden's Keep), pretty much every area is just reused from either Origins or Awakenings and it comes off as really cheap. They all feel like poor mods.

Salsa

So Dragon Age: Ultimate is DA+All the DLC ?

I'll jump in, the thing is it doesnt show up on my region :/

Could any one buy it for me ? the downside is that i only have money on my Steam Wallet :/ so my way of paying in return would be to get you an equally 20 dollar game (or 2 10's or whatever). Or wait till i put some money on my CC, but gotta pay some fees first so that would be later this month.

Guess its kind of a longshot :(

Salsa

Also could anyone post the deals you guys are seeing ? like all Dragon Age prices. EA games tend to get different sales around here.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
So Dragon Age: Ultimate is DA+All the DLC ?

I'll jump in, the thing is it doesnt show up on my region :/

Could any one buy it for me ? the downside is that i only have money on my Steam Wallet :/ so my way of paying in return would be to get you an equally 20 dollar game (or 2 10's or whatever). Or wait till i put some money on my CC, but gotta pay some fees first so that would be later this month.

Guess its kind of a longshot, but please ? :( lol
I can help you out in a couple of hours once I get home. I figure Need for Speed will prolly go on sale or something for around that amount.

Ledsen

LocoMrPollock said:
I don't know, the method you used is most certainly a clusterfuck. I'll give you that.

Anyway, not really much in the way of EA games that I want. Maybe a Deathspank combo pack.

Yes, sir.

Awesome! Batman AA on the 360 corrupted my save game 90% of the way through, and I bought the PC version thinking the bug was 360 only... then googled and found out it wasn't :/ So I'll need to be able to backup when I play the game.

1-D_FTW

slidewinder said:
I'm surprised more people around here don't use GameSave Manager. It's free, regularly updated, and deals well with potentially problematic saves, GFWL or otherwise.

Bookmarked. Of my many issues with Live, the shittastic mysteries of their saves might be at the top of the list. Trying to copy over my GTA IV file became an absolute joke. Even after I followed all the directions I could find and copied all the hidden files. I think I eventually got a save location that was a couple hours behind where I should have been and called it a day. Just replayed those missions. To this day I don't understand why it randomly selected that as the valid save point and everything after as "cheats."

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bwahahaha. Dragon Age 2 for 44.99. Get this bullshit outta here. Shame any recent EA game I'll be interested in will cost too much. Even on sale.

I may be interested in Crysis or Dead Space if they hit 75% off. Though looking at the discounts they're giving on Dragon Age, I'm not so sure that's likely.

iNvid02

Kintaro said:
Bwahahaha. Dragon Age 2 for 44.99. Get this bullshit outta here. Shame any recent EA game I'll be interested in will cost too much. Even on sale.

the publishers think its a great price.

i was on the ubishop site in the UK and they have PC games priced at £35 and console games at £50, they would charge even more if they could get away with it. dunno who buys directly from the publishers because they're getting robbed

very few "sales" are good value for money imo

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hoping Darkspore is on here, but at the same time, it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Amazon is selling the digital version for 40 anyways which is what I'm sure it would be.

This is a random but awesome Slowtaku interview with Fredrik Wester, head of Paradox Interactive. I wanted to share this blurb but didn't think it was exactly thread worthy...

In the future, we won't be getting Señor Heinz from Paradox. We will be getting Mount and Blade: With Fire & Sword, which comes out next week. And down the line? Well, this is how Wester's mind works: He loved the ruthless isometric tactical classic Syndicate back in the day. He also works in Sweden and is therefore privy to the fact that a neighboring studio is making a new Syndicate for EA and that the game is "more of a like a GTA wannabe than it's like the original game." Therefore, he wants Paradox to make its own riff on Syndicate. They don't have a game design in mind yet, but that's the dream.

Edit: In regards to the EA sale. I wonder if they've loaded all of their Stream games with the EADM.

bigace33

I believe Bulletstorm is EA, that should go on sale this week. If it does I'm telling you guys to snatch it up. Such an amazing, action packed game. I beat it this weekend and had a blast.

Echoplx

1-D_FTW said:
Bookmarked. Of my many issues with Live, the shittastic mysteries of their saves might be at the top of the list. Trying to copy over my GTA IV file became an absolute joke. Even after I followed all the directions I could find and copied all the hidden files. I think I eventually got a save location that was a couple hours behind where I should have been and called it a day. Just replayed those missions. To this day I don't understand why it randomly selected that as the valid save point and everything after as "cheats."

I just used it and it works really well, syncing to DropBox now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom