• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Carm said:
This does not work for Batman:AA, I dunno about the GOTY. 88% file gone because of stupid GFWL, I refuse to pay more than 10-15 for GFWL titles after this happened.
Works for RF:G. Batman has some other DRM on top of GFWL and Steam.

stuminus3

Snuggler said:
Good. It's a terrible port, the frame rate is capped at 30FPS and there was no way to fix it. The control support sucked as well, it didn't even have native support for the 360 pad. On top of all that, the game seemed pretty lame. Avoid at all costs.
It did, it just doesn't change the icons. Lots of Xinput games are like that. Actually some games do the opposite, they display buttons even when you don't want to use the controller (Dead Space does that for example. So does Fallout 3, even if you specifically say no to using the controller). It sucks either way.

I think Split/Second is a D2D exclusive.

Nice, maybe I can actually finish Mass Effect 1. I have ME2 for PC, but ME for 360 and just can't get myself to get through it for some reason. That and it'd be nice to transfer data.

Manager

Downloaded 24gb of Dragon Age in 2h10min, game installed. Success! Hopefully NFS: HP will be on sale this week too.

One weird thing though: even though it was obvious I was downloading in around 5-6 MB/s, Steam claimed it was 1.5-1.9 MB/s. Looking at the downloaded data it showed I got around 5-7 MB a second, and since it now is finished I must have had that speed. Kind of a weird bug to have when Steam has been out for so long.

krzy123

stuminus3 said:
It did, it just doesn't change the icons. Lots of Xinput games are like that. Actually some games do the opposite, they display buttons even when you don't want to use the controller (Dead Space does that for example. So does Fallout 3, even if you specifically say no to using the controller). It sucks either way.

i swear dead space displayed keyboard keys not controller buttons.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Carm said:
Securom has nothing to do with the the batman:aa saves, its all the fuckup on gfwl
That's bizarre because I've copied saves over to another computer without any issues with RF:G but Batman wouldn't even run from the portable HD.

Murkas

Would just like to inform UKGaf that Play.com have Dragon's age 2 for £12.99.

Don't go rushing to buy it off steam now!

Dragon Age Origins looks tempting, but I'm just going to save my money on The Witcher 2. For those of you who have played The Witcher 1 and DA: O, which one is the better game? I have only played the Witcher 1.

Carm said:
This does not work for Batman:AA, I dunno about the GOTY. 88% file gone because of stupid GFWL, I refuse to pay more than 10-15 for GFWL titles after this happened.

Seemed to work for me when I did it. I think I may have even tried to transfer my OG save to the GOTY for kicks and it still worked.

Edit: Using XP when I did it. Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Zimbardo

stuminus3 said:

yeah i think so.

i thought the game was quite fun. PC version is the best version too, btw.

the xbox pad works fine, but it doesn't display the A,Y,X, etc, buttons on the screen like other games do.

sucks that the framerate is locked @ 30fps tho, but i can deal with it.

someone posted a crack on here a couple days ago for that game that apparently removes the 30fps limit. dunno if it works or not, but it might be worth looking into.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lasthope106 said:
Dragon Age Origins looks tempting, but I'm just going to save my money on The Witcher 2. For those of you who have played The Witcher 1 and DA: O, which one is the better game? I have only played the Witcher 1.

The Witcher if you want something with a stronger story, characters and choices but shallow and inferior combat.

Dragon Age if you want something with a much deeper, tactical combat system but a less interesting story.

I prefer The Witcher but I'm biased. It really just depends on which type of game you prefer, I don't see one being much better than the other.

Presco

Carm said:

Oh man, me too. Was only around 60% completion myself but I was really enjoying it. For whatever reason every single one of GFWL games lost all progress. Batman, Dawn of War, Kane and Lynch, Halo 2. All gone. I haven't touched any of them aside from some Halo 2 multi since it happened. I'll have to go through Batman again before the new one comes out this fall. I told myself I wouldn't buy another GFWL title again but I bought GTA 4 when it was on sale a week or two ago without realizing it was GFWL. At least it was cheap.

Lasthope106 said:

I enjoyed DA:O quite a bit. There were some slow spots here and there but overall I thought it was a really good game. Also, for $20 that's a ton of content. Compared to the Witcher, story and dialog wise, it's much more cliched but I prefer the DA:O gameplay, personally.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Murkas said:
Would just like to inform UKGaf that Play.com have Dragon's age 2 for £12.99.

Don't go rushing to buy it off steam now!
I'd recommend waiting until it's cheaper than that, game was total shit.

Carm

LocoMrPollock said:
Seemed to work for me when I did it. I think I may have even tried to transfer my OG save to the GOTY for kicks and it still worked.

Edit: Using XP when I did it. Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

I formated my drive winxp install to upgrade to win7 64. backed up saves, thinking that was all that was needed. Nope save in Batman:AA comes up as corrupted, no matter what I tried to do. You have to backup the profile and some other shit too apparently, if its a new GFWL install on the system.

scitek

Blur is fun as hell, but I can't get 60fps out of it even with no AA, it's stuck in the 40s and 50s, so I'm playing with 8xSSAA on instead and it stays in the 30s.

EDIT: Wrong quote, nm.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
scitek said:
Blur is fun as hell, but I can't get 60fps out of it even with no AA, it's stuck in the 40s and 50s, so I'm playing with 8xSSAA on instead and it stays in the 30s.

What a shame.

No racing game should be allowed to run under 60fps. There should be a law.

Murkas

Ikuu said:
I'd recommend waiting until it's cheaper than that, game was total shit.

Oh I was never going to buy it. Just wanted to inform my fellow Brits so they waste less money on it if they wanted DA2 that badly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Joe Molotov said:
BTW guys, Test Drive Unlimited 2 just got a permanent price-drop to $20.
LastWindow said:
Is that any good? I've been waiting for Blur or Hot Pursuit to get my racing fix but I may jump on that instead.
As someone who played it over 100 hours, I would say that whether or not you can have fun with it is a lesser principle. Those fuckers still haven't fixed even the most basic problems after all this time. Do not reward them for this kind of lazy development and nonexistent support.

Nabs

scitek said:

EDIT: Wrong quote, nm.

The game hates ATI

scitek

Snuggler said:
What a shame.

No racing game should be allowed to run under 60fps. There should be a law.

I love 60fps in racing games, too, but if I realize there's something about it that won't let me get a constant 60, I have no qualms with slapping as much AA on it as possible and capping it at 30. The only game I've not been able to work with lately was Criterion's Hot Pursuit. I get framerates in the 50s even at 720p, and AA doesn't work for shit with my Radeon 6950, so I don't even play it anymore.

Carm said:
I formated my drive winxp install to upgrade to win7 64. backed up saves, thinking that was all that was needed. Nope save in Batman:AA comes up as corrupted, no matter what I tried to do. You have to backup the profile and some other shit too apparently, if its a new GFWL install on the system.

Did you recover your profile? Or were you just using a generic offline one?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Looks like I'm finally getting DA:O UE. *continues falsely hoping that Mini Ninjas will go on sale*

scitek said:
I love 60fps in racing games, too, but if I realize there's something about it that won't let me get a constant 60, I have no qualms with slapping as much AA on it as possible and capping it at 30. The only game I've not been able to work with lately was Criterion's Hot Pursuit. I get framerates in the 50s even at 720p, and AA doesn't work for shit with my Radeon 6950, so I don't even play it anymore.
Thank you for saying this. *scratches two off the list*

The DiRT series proves there are no excuses. None.

Oreoleo

scitek said:

This is kind of depressing to read. I want Hot Pursuit so bad but not if it's a shit port.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
The Witcher if you want something with a stronger story, characters and choices but shallow and inferior combat.

Dragon Age if you want something with a much deeper, tactical combat system but a less interesting story.

I prefer The Witcher but I'm biased. It really just depends on which type of game you prefer, I don't see one being much better than the other.

As an actual game, I think Dragon Age is far better than The Witcher. I like The Witcher's story and atmosphere, but the actual playing of it (the controls, the combat, the loot management, the interface, etc...) weren't all that great in my opinion. Also, the localization and voice acting is really quite bad in a lot of spots. Great game overall, though, and an amazing first game for CD Projekt Red.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dice said:
Thank you for saying this. *scratches two off the list*

The DiRT series proves there are no excuses. None.

Especially when these games don't even look that hot to begin with. It's nothing more than just lazy porting.

also, welcome back

Narag said:
Believe so. I think you can register physical copies with them for stuff that came out the past couple years. Crysis sadly did not make the cutoff.

I tried entering in my Darkspore CD key and it just threw up a warning saying that that key was already in use and didn't add the game to my EA DM games list. I'm using the same EA account for the EADM and all of my EA games.

scitek

Orellio said:
This is kind of depressing to read. I want Hot Pursuit so bad but not if it's a shit port.

To be fair, it's an alright game, definitely worth $15 or so because Steam tells me I've gotten over 24 hours out of it, but still...I upgraded my video card a couple of months ago, and it's not amounting to much with a lot of these games.

jaundicejuice said:
I tried entering in my Darkspore CD key and it just threw up a warning saying that that key was already in use and didn't add the game to my EA DM games list. I'm using the same EA account for the EADM and all of my EA games.

Maybe because Darkspore is online only? They probably don't want people using the key twice for that one.

Pretty sweet deal if you're interested in both games: d2d's selling brink and fallout:new vegas digital CE in a bundle for $65

posted in here since they're both steam-activated

Oreoleo

scitek said:
To be fair, it's an alright game, definitely worth $15 or so because Steam tells me I've gotten over 24 hours out of it, but still...I upgraded my video card a couple of months ago, and it's not amounting to much with a lot of these games.

Just wondering, did you try forcing MLAA with either CCC or RadeonPro? Not being able to use MSAA is bogus, but if MLAA works I think I could deal.

LocoMrPollock said:
Maybe because Darkspore is online only? They probably don't want people using the key twice for that one.

But if it's the same user account, shouldn't the application just register that I am the owner of that key and would like to have my game registered with EADM?

Edit: I'll try some other retail games.

So the EA Download Manager updated again and it looks like its trying to be even more Steam like now, with the option to create a profile, have a friends list and chat to them using the download manager. The patch notes also say future EA games will start having an in-game option with all this functionality.

Zimbardo said:
direct2drive with select Capcom games on sale this week @ 50% off ...

http://www.direct2drive.com/promos/weekly-deal/

additional 15% off with code ...

F7530AEE8D991B19332624D10F9C734F

these deals will put me in the poor house.
I think this site is a scam. I created an account to buy DMC4, and after I gave them my credit card information they refused to accept my payment, and apparently they also closed my account that I just created since it won't let me log in to customer service and when I asked them to send me my password their email said my account didn't have a password associated with it and that I had to create a new account.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ogs said:
So the EA Download Manager updated again and it looks like its trying to be even more Steam like now, with the option to create a profile, have a friends list and chat to them using the download manager. The patch notes also say future EA games will start having an in-game option with all this functionality.
It can only compete with Steam IMO if they start putting other publishers games on the service. Battle Net works so well due to be tied to a small amount of popular Multiplayer games. Steam works due to its community features working with just about any game, and its store offering a large selection of games from many publishers.

Ogs said:

As long as EA runs it it will never be as good as Steam.

Nabs

Orellio said:
Just wondering, did you try forcing MLAA with either CCC or RadeonPro? Not being able to use MSAA is bogus, but if MLAA works I think I could deal.
It technically works, but it doesn't help image quality. If you want MSAA, you'll have to revert back to 10.10e or 11.1 (I'm not sure about the last one).

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
nincompoop said:
I think this site is a scam. I created an account to buy DMC4, and after I gave them my credit card information they refused to accept my payment, and apparently they also closed my account that I just created since it won't let me log in to customer service and when I asked them to send me my password their email said my account didn't have a password associated with it and that I had to create a new account.
Nah D2D is legit. It's Like the second biggest DD service after Steam. No fucking clue what happened to you there though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
It technically works, but it doesn't help image quality. If you want MSAA, you'll have to revert back to 10.10e or 11.1 (I'm not sure about the last one).
I'll let you know if it's perfect on Nvidia when I get the game later this week.

Oreoleo

Nabs said:

Is that your opinion, or is there something about the implementation in Hot Pursuit that makes it not as good? I played through The Ball and parts of Darksiders with MLAA and there was a noticeable improvement in image fidelity.

Zerokku said:
Nah D2D is legit. It's Like the second biggest DD service after Steam. No fucking clue what happened to you there though.
Well I eventually figured out that I couldn't log in because I was trying to log in to tech support and that uses a different account than the account for the main site for some reason. So once I figured that out I was able to send my issue to tech support.

scitek

Orellio said:
Is that your opinion, or is there something about the implementation in Hot Pursuit that makes it not as good? I played through The Ball and parts of Darksiders with MLAA and there was a noticeable improvement in image fidelity.

Well MLAA applies a slight blur to edges of everything on-screen, including the HUD, subtitles, menus, etc. To answer your question, yes, MLAA works with Hot Pursuit, and I think it's way better than playing without any AA at all, personally.

dLMN8R

crimsonheadGCN said:
F.E.A.R. 3 will most likely be a Steamworks title, since the GamersGate page kinda confirms it:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FEAR3/fear-3?aff=fb

Note: GFWL titles have "Other DRM." Steam titles have "Requires a 3rd party download and account."

Since it's being published by WB then there is a pretty good chance that they'll be using Steamworks for the new Batman.
Well, FEAR 2 was, so this is a pretty logical conclusion.

Wouldn't mind if Batman switched to Steamworks from GFW Live though, nice catch!

dLMN8R said:
Well, FEAR 2 was, so this is a pretty logical conclusion.

Wouldn't mind if Batman switched to Steamworks from GFW Live though, nice catch!

Fear 2 was steamworks DRM/installer, but nothing past that.

cicero

Snuggler said:
Good. It's a terrible port, the frame rate is capped at 30FPS and there was no way to fix it. The control support sucked as well, it didn't even have native support for the 360 pad. On top of all that, the game seemed pretty lame. Avoid at all costs.
wow..

Really wish I would have had that info back when I bought it during a direct2drive sale in march. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom