• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Probably already asked, but does this option here allow me to redeem a copy of Portal 2 on PC via PSN linkage, even if I can no longer access PSN on my PS3?

steam2neo.png

If you haven't launched Portal 2 on PS3 and signed into Steam there, you can't proceed with the Steam (on PC) part of the process. If you have done the first step, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to finish the process even with PSN down. Guess it depends on whether Steam (on PC) contacts the PSN or if it just looks for a database entry that you created in Steam on PS3.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Carm said:
I formated my drive winxp install to upgrade to win7 64. backed up saves, thinking that was all that was needed. Nope save in Batman:AA comes up as corrupted, no matter what I tried to do. You have to backup the profile and some other shit too apparently, if its a new GFWL install on the system.
The thing is, every time you create a Windows Live profile, it generates a unique hashtag for that profile.

The fuck up is that if you retrieve a profile from the Windows Live cloud, it CHANGES that unique hashtag. Every savegame is associated with that hashtag and thus, no longer works (since your freshly retrieved gamertag has another hashtag).

Street Fighter IV deals with that poorly (which is a good thing for us): It just creates the save inside a folder. The name of the folder? Said hashtag. So you just have to change the .sav from folders and bam, your savegame is back.

GTA, on the other hand, keeps the unique hashtag embedded on the save file itself. You can do some hardcore hexediting and replace the string that identifies your profile on the savegames to the new unique string your new retrieved profile, and your saves will work again.

I don't know how it works on Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm probably on the same boat, as I recently formatted and literally didn't care about the Live Profile - I forgot about my Batman:AA savegame. However, I already finished it, so it's no biggie.

epmode

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I tried renaming the Batman files way back when I lost my saves in a reformat. Didn't work. I never looked into hex editing but it's far too late now.

Achievements can get hit by a truck for all I care. Don't lock single-player saves. Christ.

Peerbreed

Neo Member
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Probably already asked, but does this option here allow me to redeem a copy of Portal 2 on PC via PSN linkage, even if I can no longer access PSN on my PS3?

steam2neo.png

I'm going to say no...

Untitled.png

Salsa

How well is NFS Hot Pursuit optimized btw ? never played it on PC

my rig:

9600GT512ddr3
E7200@2.53Ghz
4GB ram

Yeah, a little on the low-end side, but i get along. Keep in mind im gonna play it on 1360x768

Bad performance on racers are easily the worst.

Slavik81

drizzle said:
The thing is, every time you create a Windows Live profile, it generates a unique hashtag for that profile.

The fuck up is that if you retrieve a profile from the Windows Live cloud, it CHANGES that unique hashtag. Every savegame is associated with that hashtag and thus, no longer works (since your freshly retrieved gamertag has another hashtag).

Street Fighter IV deals with that poorly (which is a good thing for us): It just creates the save inside a folder. The name of the folder? Said hashtag. So you just have to change the .sav from folders and bam, your savegame is back.

GTA, on the other hand, keeps the unique hashtag embedded on the save file itself. You can do some hardcore hexediting and replace the string that identifies your profile on the savegames to the new unique string your new retrieved profile, and your saves will work again.

I don't know how it works on Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm probably on the same boat, as I recently formatted and literally didn't care about the Live Profile - I forgot about my Batman:AA savegame. However, I already finished it, so it's no biggie.
This sort of stuff blows my mind. Who thought this was a good idea?

Salsa

The Quiet Man said:
I'm getting Steam Guard verification notices on the same computer more frequently now, twice in the last 2 weeks. Should I be concerned?

Same here, figured it was just a bit buggy.

Blizzard

Banned
SalsaShark said:
How well is NFS Hot Pursuit optimized btw ? never played it on PC

my rig:

9600GT512ddr3
E7200@2.53Ghz
4GB ram

Yeah, a little on the low-end side, but i get along. Keep in mind im gonna play it on 1360x768

Bad performance on racers are easily the worst.
I think one or two people were saying even with high end graphics cards and/or 720p, they were getting like 50 fps in places. It sounds like Blur and NFS:HP are almost impossible to get good performance on (and Blur in particular hates ATI cards).

Salsa

Blizzard said:
I think one or two people were saying even with high end graphics cards and/or 720p, they were getting like 50 fps in places. It sounds like Blur and NFS:HP are almost impossible to get good performance on (and Blur in particular hates ATI cards).

mh, sucks. Heard it was mostly with ATI cards though.

Dont really care that much for graphic fidelity as long as i get a good performance, maybe i could get it to work.

Twig

Banned
Slavik81 said:
M$, am I right, or am I right?

I recently lost my Batman save file (corrupted), and I briefly considered trying to find a save file online somewhere before I remembered GFWL. Didn't even bother looking.

Not a big deal, since I'd already beaten it, but I wanted to try some of the challenges. U:

Psy-Phi

Slavik81 said:
Never had that problem with GTA that he mentions. I have gone through two Live profiles, and renamed one of them 3 times, I just move the save from one to the next.

Shaneus

Blizzard said:
Yeah, from what I can tell it's really only ATI cards that run those games like arse. Which really fucking blows.

I don't know who to hate more... Activision for not optimizing the game (amongst other things) or ATI for not being able to improve performance in a driver update.

FWIW in the latest CAP from AMD they did ditch negative scaling for CFX in HP (moar acronyms plz) but I don't know if it's carried over to the official 11.4 drivers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Slavik81 said:
Well... TECHNICALLY, it's to prevent you from copying saves and farming achievements - The save you're copying off the internet doesn't have the same unique hash as your profile..

The part they screwed over is that retrieving a profile ALSO creates a new hashtag. These hashtags should be unique and should be retrieved from the cloud along with the profile.

Fake Edit: Oh, I just remembered why I almost lost my Street Fighter IV save and why I screwed up my Batman save: I changed Windows Live emails.

My older profile, which was still saved on the computer, would no longer join (because the email associated to it didn't exist anymore). To be able to join live again, I had to change the login email. And the only way to do that was retrieving my account from their cloud - that created a new profile on the computer and a new unique hashtag.

It's really something idiotic to overlook.

Carm

drizzle said:

Thankfully I did finish Batman:AA on that save file. I was just cleaning up the extra stuff. It did give me flash backs to my PS2 days though. The infamous Viewtiful Joe 2 demo erased my memory card. I was about 90% through Shadow Hearts: Covenant, I never did start over. =(

plc268

I'm probably sounding like a broken record by now, but:

Just save yourself the trouble by trying to manually backup GFWL saves and just use gamesave manager.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Psy-Phi said:
Never had that problem with GTA that he mentions. I have gone through two Live profiles, and renamed one of them 3 times, I just move the save from one to the next.
I was using an issue a friend of mine had - I can't say first hand how the GTA hashtag/profile thing works.

I can tell you how it worked with Street Fighter IV tho:

If you go to C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Content you'll see a couple folders. Those are your Windows Live Profile unique hashtags I was referring to before.

C:\Users\{username}\Documents\CAPCOM\STREETFIGHTERIV is where SFIV saves are stored. There's a couple folders in there also - named EXACTLY like your "unique hashtag". All I had to do, in my scenario, was create a new folder with the new unique hashtag from my recovered profile, and drop the save from the other profile in there, and everything worked.

From what I've been told, GTAIV keeps that profile/savegame pairing inside the save file itself. There's a shitload more information about GTAIV savegame profile migration here: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=386144

I guess I'll stop talking about this now, since this is a Steam thread. I would just like to say that I think this is IDIOTIC. Savegames should be clean and allowed to be copied at will. It's just that, with a little of googling and half a brain, you can figure out everything you need to know to backup and restore your saves properly, if you so desire. Sometimes is just easier to start it all over again, but it's not impossible to fix it.

plc268 said:
I'm probably sounding like a broken record by now, but:

Just save yourself the trouble by trying to manually backup GFWL saves and just use gamesave manager.
While that's a great advice, it wouldn't have helped me. I never lost my account - I changed email addresses, which meant I had to retrieve my account from the Live Cloud again, which created a new hashtag. And there was nothing I could do to prevent that (aside from not changing my email address).

Knowledge is always better, as I could fix my Street Fighter IV save issue, and I could prolly fix my Arkham Asylum save, if I so desired.

kuYuri

crimsonheadGCN said:
F.E.A.R. 3 will most likely be a Steamworks title, since the GamersGate page kinda confirms it:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FEAR3/fear-3?aff=fb

Note: GFWL titles have "Other DRM." Steam titles have "Requires a 3rd party download and account."

Since it's being published by WB then there is a pretty good chance that they'll be using Steamworks for the new Batman.

Makes sense, F.E.A.R 2 also used Steamworks, although only for DRM and DLC support.

SalsaShark said:

Dont really care that much for graphic fidelity as long as i get a good performance, maybe i could get it to work.

I ran it with a similar setup back when it came out. I had to force AA off and lower shadows and lighting maybe, I think, and it held steady at 30fps, more or less. At 720p.

plc268

drizzle said:
While that's a great advice, it wouldn't have helped me. I never lost my account - I changed email addresses, which meant I had to retrieve my account from the Live Cloud again, which created a new hashtag. And there was nothing I could do to prevent that (aside from not changing my email address).

Knowledge is always better, as I could fix my Street Fighter IV save issue, and I could prolly fix my Arkham Asylum save, if I so desired.

That's weird because I recently changed the email address associated with my Live account, and I didn't lose a single save... and those saves that I had backed up under the old email address worked fine after I reformatted.

I dunno... GFWL itself is screwy enough... some have a ton of problems, others have hardly any.

Oreoleo

SalsaShark said:

Yeah go back a page or two we sorta covered it already :) ATI cards can't do AA (except MLAA I guess) and no matter what you'll never hit 60 so in that sense your rig will probably handle it as well as everyone else's.

senahorse

I will have to test it when I get home, but I am pretty sure I get a stable 60fps in NFS:HP with everything turned on at 1080P. This is with an overclocked core i5 750, and a 6950 flashed to 6970. Also I remember getting ~60fps with my 4870X2 before I upgraded earlier this year. Driver issue maybe?

hamchan

gotee12 said:
Glad I read this. As soon as there's evidence of rubber-banding, I shelve any and all racers.
I'll just say that I was never bothered by the rubber banding in Hit Pursuit because that's not the real battle. The real battle is trying to beat your friends' times on the autolog.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The autolog in the Pc version of NFS uses a specific account. Doesn't even track your Steam friends.

Just a fair warning; you'll be missing out on one of the best features of the game. Graphics are stunning though. Also TDU 2 at 20 dollars is worth it just for the cheesy music

Fredescu

Is Undercover worth the $2.50?

zoner said:
The autolog in the Pc version of NFS uses a specific account. Doesn't even track your Steam friends.

Just a fair warning; you'll be missing out on one of the best features of the game.
You're not missing out, it's just a bit more work. Just go and add every ones NFS account from the GAF thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412458 From there you can add all the recommendations and you will have heaps of friends before you know it.

It looks like the OP didn't keep it up to date, but there are a bunch of IDs further in the thread.

Oreoleo

Mairu said:
I'll probably bite on NFS HP for 15$

Same. Criterion is a great team. Burnout Paradise was brilliant. I'll deal with the MLAA.

zoner said:

So everyone will just have to post their EA Online names here, or start a Steam group, etc.

Mairu said:
Has whoever discovered that discovered images for the rest of the week's sales? :p

I think that happened once or twice, and since then they've been pretty good about not uploading those pictures too early or with obvious file names/paths.

desu

No because they are not uploaded yet.

Also I am looking for gifters, NFS HP will be 25 hwew bur 15$ in the us...

Aselith

Drkirby said:
Was Under Cover any good? The game would only be $2.49.

I watched my friend play it a couple of times and it seemed all right. Sort of Burnout Paradise style gameplay if I remember correctly open world and going around to the other races. Certainly worth 2.50.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, look what I just found:
streefighter.png
street4pack.png

Maybe the game will be out sooner then expected, wonder how much the 4 pack will be.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Drkirby said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/melee/streefighter.png[/img[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/melee/street4pack.png[/img
Maybe the game will be out sooner then expected, wonder how much the 4 pack will be.[/QUOTE]

HNGGGGGHHHHHHHH please let the game be out at the same time as the consoleversions.

Drkirby said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/melee/streefighter.png[img][img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/melee/street4pack.png[img]

Maybe the game will be out sooner then expected, wonder how much the 4 pack will be.[/QUOTE]
YO BRO YOU WANNA SPLIT A 4 PACK THO :>

edit: lol @ 4 pack being $49.99

Even with the 4pack at $99 that's still a pretty good deal at just $10 more than the DLC.

What's the PC community like? Probably dead by now but what was it at its peak?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
toasty_T said:
Even with the 4pack at $99 that's still a pretty good deal at just $10 more than the DLC.

What's the PC community like? Probably dead by now but what was it at its peak?

All you need to know is that I'll be playing and fuse myself to the pc so the community will never be dead it'll always be atleast : 1 player online

sambo

Neo Member
YES! I'm so glad I was kind of regretting purchasing the PS3 TE stick instead of the 360, this news makes it all better.

MRORANGE

Drkirby said:
HOPE

This is brillant! was waiting ages for SSFIV to come to pc.

oh yeah I really recommend NFS:HP best nfs experience since NFS3:HP - I paid full price for it and don't regret buying it.

Granted the MP scene is almost dead, but it's still a nice game, should run on most systems pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom