• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

Blizzard said:
I guess in theory (part of) the idea is that if someone hijacks your normal account, hopefully they don't also get your support account, and you can submit a help request that way. D2D also has separate game accounts and support accounts if I recall correctly.

Aside from my frustrated ranting I actually am wanting to know if others are having troubles logging in. I just want to make sure it's some steam bullshit stopping me, not the fact that the servers actually are down.

Bisonian

Shambles said:
Aside from my frustrated ranting I actually am wanting to know if others are having troubles logging in. I just want to make sure it's some steam bullshit stopping me, not the fact that the servers actually are down.

I just logged out, restarted the program and logged back in with no issues.

Shambles

Thanks for checking for me. I tried deleting the .blob type files and restarting and running steam as administrator, none of which helped. I don't have time to deal with this bullshit tonight and instead of being able to play the games i paid for I got stuck getting stressed out dealing with this. I was going to buy PvZ tonight but they can kiss that goodbye, this also only further enforces my desire to never spend more than 5$ on any game on steam as it's nothing more than a rental service. Canucks better at least win tonight.

plc268

1-D_FTW said:
Done. For 6.80, I'll give it a second chance. Purchased the retail version at launch (because EA had to play their Steam games and hold it back) and got so annoyed by the crappy G27 controls, I literally threw the disc in the garbage can.

I just finally installed the mod. The install process is quite lengthy... unpacking Shift's resource files took nearly 2 hours for me alone... but mod installation after that is pretty simple and fast.

That said, I had played NFS Shift on the 360 a while back... and it was ok, but I never felt like I was driving a real car. With the overhaul mod, it's completely different. Cars don't feel weightless anymore... you can sense how the weight gets thrown into corners. It's an overall better experience. Is it truly sim-like yet? I dunno, I can't say since I'm too cheap/poor to buy a wheel.

But at $6.80, I highly recommend more people giving the game a second chance with the overhaul mod, it really makes it better.

Edit:

Most of all, I'm happy I got rid of all those freaking Shift billboards on the sides of the track. If you're interested: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=31202

InertiaXr said:
You can only get to it from the quick travel posts in-game. It's not named what the DLC is named necessarily, like the Zombie Island DLC is called "Jakob's Cove" in the quick travel thing. I wouldn't go to any of them until you are ready to play them however, the zombie island at least will scale to the level you go into it at, at least I think that's how it works. Some of the stuff in there is kind of convulted regarding the level stuff is and how the DLC in particular scales or doesn't.

I'm in the middle of playing it with a friend who also get it in the sale, and we are playing it like this: Playthrough 1, Zombie Island, General Knoxx, Claptrap Revolution, then Playthrough 2 and maybe more DLC as needed to get to the level cap.

I tried to play Dr. Ned immediately after my first playthrough and I couldn't kill the first zombies you run into. I sailed right through the end of the game, so I assumed that it was balanced for coop.

Shambles

I tried something thinking that it was crazy but it worked. If I switch to my dedicated GPU on my laptop it signs on just fine. If I try to sign onto steam using the integrated Intel chip it throws an error when I try to log into steam saying that steam servers are down. It's never done this before either, blows my mind.

Cipherr

Fuck it, Im grabbing HP. I cant imagine when in the hell Im supposed to play it. Between TF2, TrackMania, Knight and Blade and shit, and I supposed to be playing through the Witcher soon too, then hopefully Trackmania 2 drops summertime which will eliminate all playtime of any other racers I have guaranteed.

I dunno, maybe not. Buying just for the sake of buying. Ive got enough shit to get through and not enough time as it is anyway.

Edit: Oh wait, how can I get it for 10$? Ill buy even just to have it rot on my list until December for $10. lol

MooMoo

AcridMeat said:
On this note, we should schedule a GAF Pursuit, of hot proportions.
Stick shift only ;D unless this game doesn't let you choose between manual and automatic transmission.

plc268

Shambles said:
I tried something thinking that it was crazy but it worked. If I switch to my dedicated GPU on my laptop it signs on just fine. If I try to sign onto steam using the integrated Intel chip it throws an error when I try to log into steam saying that steam servers are down. It's never done this before either, blows my mind.

Just curious... do you have a Sandy Bridge processor? I think Steam Guard does something different if you have sandy bridge, so that's something to consider.

Shambles

plc268 said:
Just curious... do you have a Sandy Bridge processor? I think Steam Guard does something different if you have sandy bridge, so that's something to consider.

No, it's an Arrandale chip (i3 330m). I made sure steamguard was off through my desktop and once I got onto my client on my laptop i checked it again and it also said it was disabled. It looks like this is a Steam issue not related to steamguard. I've never had a problem using steam with the integrated GPU (Aside from it being terrible) before. They have changed something.

gogojira

If I'm only going to get one, should I get shift for $7 or Hot Pursuit for $15? Pretty torn here. Keep in mind I have no form of racing wheel and I've never really played a racer on PC, so I'm kind of interested to see how well keyboard controls will work out.

InertiaXr

gogojira said:
If I'm only going to get one, should I get shift for $7 or Hot Pursuit for $15? Pretty torn here. Keep in mind I have no form of racing wheel and I've never really played a racer on PC, so I'm kind of interested to see how well keyboard controls will work out.

You should probably get a controller for any racing game on PC. Anyways, both are different types of games. Hot Pursuit is pure arcade and Shift is much closer to a sim, but not to the Forza/Gran Turismo levels. Choice between the two really depends on what you like to play more.

Cipherr

gogojira said:

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

gogojira

Based on the two responses to my question, I'm guessing my hunch was right. Honestly, I'll probably just hold off altogether, not like I don't have a ridiculous backlog of Steam games anyways and Metro 2033 is begging to be played.

TheExodu5

Banned
InertiaXr said:
You should probably get a controller for any racing game on PC. Anyways, both are different types of games. Hot Pursuit is pure arcade and Shift is much closer to a sim, but not to the Forza/Gran Turismo levels. Choice between the two really depends on what you like to play more.

Keyboard controls are perfectly fine for any arcade racer.

However, if you're looking for a good keyboard racer, why not try Trackmania instead? It's free. :)

gogojira said:

Fuel has an interesting scheme where you steer with the mouse. Actually works out pretty decent.

No idea how Shift or HP do it, though.

Blizzard

Banned
Shambles said:
Thanks for checking for me. I tried deleting the .blob type files and restarting and running steam as administrator, none of which helped. I don't have time to deal with this bullshit tonight and instead of being able to play the games i paid for I got stuck getting stressed out dealing with this. I was going to buy PvZ tonight but they can kiss that goodbye, this also only further enforces my desire to never spend more than 5$ on any game on steam as it's nothing more than a rental service. Canucks better at least win tonight.
Is your problem purely that you can't log in? Since you don't have the Steam protection on, maybe someone stole your account. Making the support account and putting your help request in should get it taken care of within 2-4 days.

Of course, that means you might miss sales, of course. :(

*edit* I'm glad it worked out for you. That is REALLY weird that a hardware change would affect it like that without Steam guard though. I can only guess that it was detecting the different hardware and it messed up Steam guard even though it's disabled, since deleting clientregistry.blob didn't help you.

MacGurcules said:
Have you played Dwarf Fortress? It's filled with "fun" like that.

Honestly, I have tried to play Dwarf Fortress, but I never sit down to do it when I have enough time to learn how to play. When I have those extend time periods to play, I generally fire up one of my backlog games at this point.

Proc

I already have hot pursuit and shift for 360...bought them before building my super computer. Not sure if I want to trade them in for this version. $15 is a gross deal though. Not enough hype around this sale to push me over. I'll see how i feel at work tomorrow.

piratepwnsninja said:
Honestly, I have tried to play Dwarf Fortress, but I never sit down to do it when I have enough time to learn how to play. When I have those extend time periods to play, I generally fire up one of my backlog games at this point.
Yeah, I can't fault you for that. Dwarf Fortress is practically impenetrable but once I got the hang of it, I spent many an hour "playing" that instead of the dozens of games I've actually paid for and haven't gotten to, yet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
piratepwnsninja said:
That's so bought if the price isn't stupid. A dwarf releasing water and flooding the place did it for me.
That's ironic, because that's what undid it for me. "Oh neat, this looks like a pixel art Dungeon Keeper. Wait, why are the dwarfs sabotaging the dungeon? What's that blue stuff? Oh... OH THE HUMANITY!" *uninstalls*

legacyzero

Banned
Weenerz said:
You can definitely tell Hot Pursuit is a Criterion game, unskippable intro tutorial videos, ugh.

Shits annoying...

Sure Tut vids are cool, but let me skip it at least.

BTW, any word on whats for sale on WED?

Fredescu said:
Just wait for the unskippable cut scenes in the middle of a race.
Is that for real? I very nearly uninstalled DiRT2 because of the ten minutes of unskippable garbage at the beginning before it would even let me change resolution.

Shambles

Blizzard said:
Is your problem purely that you can't log in? Since you don't have the Steam protection on, maybe someone stole your account. Making the support account and putting your help request in should get it taken care of within 2-4 days.

Of course, that means you might miss sales, of course. :(

*edit* I'm glad it worked out for you. That is REALLY weird that a hardware change would affect it like that without Steam guard though. I can only guess that it was detecting the different hardware and it messed up Steam guard even though it's disabled, since deleting clientregistry.blob didn't help you.

Yeah it was strange. Basically I would start up steam and it would open up with the Username/password screen. After putting in my correct password it would give me an 'invalid login' error, after attempting many other passwords that were incorrect it eventually started to give me a 'steam servers may be down' error. But the circumstances seemed suspect as I assumed it was a hidden 'stop people from hacking accounts by blocking computers after x failed login attempts'. Perhaps if steamguard was on it would have moved me to the typical error that asks for me to login to my email and verify my account on new hardware. Perhaps I'll try that later, it's actually probably exactly what happened. But for now it's sleep (go canucks!). I might still purchase PvZ in the next few minutes, now that i'm not so frustrated it seems like it might be silly to skip it.

Edit: Just tried loggin on with integrated GPU, it's working fine now, hopefully doesn't come back.

Blizzard

Banned
Shambles said:
Yeah it was strange. Basically I would start up steam and it would open up with the Username/password screen. After putting in my correct password it would give me an 'invalid login' error, after attempting many other passwords that were incorrect it eventually started to give me a 'steam servers may be down' error. But the circumstances seemed suspect as I assumed it was a hidden 'stop people from hacking accounts by blocking computers after x failed login attempts'. Perhaps if steamguard was on it would have moved me to the typical error that asks for me to login to my email and verify my account on new hardware. Perhaps I'll try that later, it's actually probably exactly what happened. But for now it's sleep (go canucks!). I might still purchase PvZ in the next few minutes, now that i'm not so frustrated it seems like it might be silly to skip it.
I think PvZ really is a well done, entertaining game. For this price, don't let your bad experience make you miss it. :)

vixlar

Have you ever had a dream of meeting with someone from PopCap games and telling him "give me all your money now" and he gives all his money? Well, buying PvZ at $3.40 is almost that. The game is that good. Well, minus Zombie Michael Jackson (u_u)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Unskippable advertisement for another game at the beginning of Hot Pursuit... Goddamn EA is such a scummy company.

Kevin

Zefah said:
Unskippable advertisement for another game at the beginning of Hot Pursuit... Goddamn EA is such a scummy company.

Which is why I personally never support EA games until they reach the bargain bin at best. Same for Activision and Ubisoft in most cases.

glaurung

So regarding the EA week and the discounts today...

I own NFS Undercover on PS3 and it is still notoriously awful. Is the PC version better, i.e. did EA patch the damn thing at some point or is it still a broken mess of physics and pop-in so bad it will make your eyes bleed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom