• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
zero margin said:
I'm about to cave and get blops, someone talk me out of it, or into it, either way.

Do you own MW2 or COD4?

If so, buy CODBLOPS for a nice feeling of getting screwed over for buying a game that is basically the same game but with the added fact that it runs worse.

On the flipside, dolphin-diving! Buy it now!

No already beat SP on 360 (which I dont have anymore) and no don't have MW2 on any system or cod4.

EDIT - I just have this horrible feeling I'm going to get it and the shit is going to go down in price or bundle with the map pack, then again MW2 never really did so maybe not.

zero margin said:
No already beat SP on 360 (which I dont have anymore) and no don't have MW2 on any system or cod4.

EDIT - I just have this horrible feeling I'm going to get it and the shit is going to go down in price or bundle with the map pack, then again MW2 never really did so maybe not.

Don't buy it man, if you have a military shooter itch, play BFBC2 and wait to see how good BRINK turns out in a week or so.

Buy COD4 over BLOPS. I have them all and while BLOPS is a good game, it's not worth full price.

Good advice guys, knew I could count on you. Ironically I was considering battlefield anyway, besides, portal 2 should be here today I think.

Yeah, don't waste your money on Undercover. Even $2.50 is too much for this turd.

It uses the PS2 assets, looks like shit, plays like shit, controls like shit, sounds like shit.

Thinking of printing out the game icon, enlarging it and wiping my ass with it. Would be more useful anyway.

gotee12

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, don't waste your money on Undercover. Even $2.50 is too much for this turd.

It uses the PS2 assets, looks like shit, plays like shit, controls like shit, sounds like shit.

Thinking of printing out the game icon, enlarging it and wiping my ass with it. Would be more useful anyway.
That's the most hilarious review I've read in a long time!

BentMyWookiee said:
Does anybody know if the Logitech Driving Force GT PS3 wheel works with Shift and/or HP on the PC? If so, I'm totally getting both when I get home.

Yup (For Shift at least) there's even a profile built in game for it. I largely enjoyed Shift but coming from having played through Dirt 2, the graphics just look very dated. Also, I stopped playing the game once I had a ton of drifting challenges to complete. I just don't like the drift challenges (yes I know they're optional, but I don't want to grind the same races to unlock the next tier)

Narag

gotee12 said:
That's the most hilarious review I've read in a long time!

It was enough to scare me off from a purchase and I buy shit at that price just to have the icon on my steam list!

kamspy

heyf00L said:
How does it compare to Shift 2, tho? If Shift 2 is just hands-down better then I'll wait for a Steam sale on that.
Have Shift 2's problems been fixed/solved? People were complaining about laggy controls, poorer visuals than Shift 1, and worse performance.

Right -now- Shift is in better shape, but Shift 2 has more potential. The mod scene has come back to it, just a matter of time until we get the meaty ones that make Shift 1 so good.

1-D_FTW

LocoMrPollock said:

Copy and paste into a Steam user review.

InertiaXr

plc268 said:
Shift 1 is more moddable than Shift 2. People have tweaked the physics to make it much more realistic. Also some assets from Shift 2 and other games have even been ported over.

It's worth a look:
http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-overhaul-mod-2-0-released/

How does Shift with this Overhaul mod compare to say Grid and Shift 2? I have played Grid to completion and thought it was awesome, was unable to finish a race of Shift 2 on my friend's computer due to the controls. Perhaps it's more 'realistic' than Grid/Dirt which I thoroughly enjoy, but I had no fun with it. So if Shift 1 with this mod is somewhat near what Grid was, half arcade half realistic it seemed, then it would be a purchase for me at $7.

By the way, is Undercover anywhere near something resembling Most Wanted? That's the best NFS I have played since probably the ps2 days, and for 2.50 I would get that too.

Pimpbaa

How good does Shift look on PC? I remember it looking like absolute dogshit on PS3. I know that the PC version automatically looks better by default, but does it have better textures and models?

Pimpbaa said:
How good does Shift look on PC? I remember it looking like absolute dogshit on PS3. I know that the PC version automatically looks better by default, but does it have better textures and models?

I maxed all settings, it looks quite impressive. No complaints at all graphically.

The cars look great, the textures on the buildings look great, trees look like shit.

Salsa

oh and btw, PvZ looks like shit when i go fullscreen. Im at 1360x768. No biggie since i was gonna play on windowed, but yeah comes up all pixelated in FS.

nyong

Banned
SalsaShark said:
oh and btw, PvZ looks like shit when i go fullscreen. Im at 1360x768. No biggie since i was gonna play on windowed, but yeah comes up all pixelated in FS.
Ok, this is what I was afraid of. So it doesn't support HD resolutions?

1-D_FTW

plc268 said:
Shift 1 is more moddable than Shift 2. People have tweaked the physics to make it much more realistic. Also some assets from Shift 2 and other games have even been ported over.

It's worth a look:
http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-overhaul-mod-2-0-released/

Done. For 6.80, I'll give it a second chance. Purchased the retail version at launch (because EA had to play their Steam games and hold it back) and got so annoyed by the crappy G27 controls, I literally threw the disc in the garbage can.

bigace33

heyf00L said:
How does it compare to Shift 2, tho? If Shift 2 is just hands-down better then I'll wait for a Steam sale on that.
Have Shift 2's problems been fixed/solved? People were complaining about laggy controls, poorer visuals than Shift 1, and worse performance.
Shift one is much better than Shift 2 in my opinion. Shift 2 driving mechanics are super wonky.

PaulLFC

How's Test Drive Unlimited 2? Been interested in it for a while and it's been reduced to £14.99. Is the online well populated on PC? Last I heard the online side had some bugs, but admittedly that was near launch so they may well have been fixed by now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
PaulLFC said:
How's Test Drive Unlimited 2? Been interested in it for a while and it's been reduced to £14.99. Is the online well populated on PC? Last I heard the online side had some bugs, but admittedly that was near launch so they may well have been fixed by now.
I still can't get club races to work, there are a million bugs and simple-to-fix design flaws they still haven't corrected, and it still runs like shit.

...committed to making it the best experience my ass...

PaulLFC

Dice said:
I still can't get club races to work, there are a million bugs and simple-to-fix design flaws they still haven't corrected, and it still runs like shit.

Thanks, I think I'll leave it for now then. The £15 price doesn't seem to be a sale, looks like it's a new permanent price, so I'll just wait for it to go on sale.

chixdiggit

PaulLFC said:
Last time I played it had people on it. I just don't think it's a very good racing game. If you are a very very casual racing fan you might enjoy it.

I downloaded and installed some unplayed Steam games (Bionic Commando Rearmed, The Ball) rather than add to my collection of unplayed games :x The fact that I have neither a wired 360 pad or a steering wheel helps in the not buying of racing games that look kinda cool.

Pimpbaa

Dice said:

I feel the same. Especially about running like shit. I have other games that look much better and run at a solid 60fps.

SalsaShark said:
nyong said:
Ok, this is what I was afraid of. So it doesn't support HD resolutions?
If I remember correctly, is because the sprites were made in 'X' resolution so they look like that playing it with big screens and doesn't have widescreen.

HP looks really good cranked up at 1080p. To anyone worrying about the performance, I'm running it on only one of my 5770's and an Athlon II X4, and its fine.

chixdiggit said:
I see this posted every once in a while. Just in case you don't know, you can use wireless 360 pads with an adapter. Works very well. Amazon link

I don't think Amazon.com will ship that to Canada and that's currently unavailable on Amazon.ca. I'll keep an eye out for it when I go to the shop, but I doubt I'll see one.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
My verdict on TDU2 is that it's got some great concepts at the core, particularly with the scale, MMO-likeness, the immediacy of map travel, the two islands and making you explore them a virtual necessity, and the pretty good choice of cars, but it's bogged down by jankiness, mediocre physics, a fucked-up soundtrack, awful and unnecessary fluff junk like clothes and shit, network issues, a server reboot that can take up to an hour in the fucking evening when I actually have time to play the game, and stuff I haven't even touched when I played it, like the broken clubs.

Edit: So it's nice for cruising around, seriously, blasting over the island at 300kmh rocks, but it's not as nice if you want to use its mechanics front to back.

Peerbreed

Neo Member
I picked up NFS: HP finally. I've been dying for a racing game other than Dirt 2. This game looks so good at 5760 x 1080 max settings. Games like this make the Eyefinity setup more than worth it. Eyefinity and surround sound take immersion to a whole new level :) Now to get a freaking wheel...

heyf00L

scorpscarx said:
I maxed all settings, it looks quite impressive. No complaints at all graphically.

The cars look great, the textures on the buildings look great, trees look like shit.
*double-take*

Shaneus

The Big Rig said:
HP looks really good cranked up at 1080p. To anyone worrying about the performance, I'm running it on only one of my 5770's and an Athlon II X4, and its fine.
I think everyone should worry about performance until it runs on their system (or finds someone with *exactly* the same specs). I have an overclocked Q9550 and Crossfired 5850s and can rarely get a stable 60fps with high detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom