• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

glaurung said:
So regarding the EA week and the discounts today...

I own NFS Undercover on PS3 and it is still notoriously awful. Is the PC version better, i.e. did EA patch the damn thing at some point or is it still a broken mess of physics and pop-in so bad it will make your eyes bleed?

I was scared off from purchasing it by this post from earlier:

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, don't waste your money on Undercover. Even $2.50 is too much for this turd.

It uses the PS2 assets, looks like shit, plays like shit, controls like shit, sounds like shit.

Thinking of printing out the game icon, enlarging it and wiping my ass with it. Would be more useful anyway.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27585027&postcount=9635

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kevin said:
Which is why I personally never support EA games until they reach the bargain bin at best. Same for Activision and Ubisoft in most cases.
If they left out their cancerous limited activation DRM I could forgive the unskippable ads.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Kinda sucks that Hot Pursuit has no Steam Achievements. You'd think it'd be a simple process to just plug in the Trophies from PS3 or whatever other console the game was on.

glaurung

sykoex said:
Kinda sucks that Hot Pursuit has no Steam Achievements. You'd think it'd be a simple process to just plug in the Trophies from PS3 or whatever other console the game was on.
I think no EA games have Steam achievements... Lazy developers I say.

Mairu

sykoex said:
I don't think EA wants to put any benefit towards getting their games off their EA Store/EADM garbage ;(

epmode

Mairu said:
I don't think EA wants to put any benefit towards getting their games off their EA Store/EADM garbage ;(
This is it exactly.

And yeah, I'm at the point where I won't buy an EA game without a big discount. It's going to be hard to keep this going for Mass Effect 3 but if the pre-order situation is anything like Dragon Age 2, I'll manage.

I bought shift again on steam since I have no idea where the fuck my release copy is lol, good old steam eh.

Spent the morning today modding it and damn it's such an improvement, the car now only get's tail happy if you power out of a corner full force like real cars do instead of having shit to no grip on the rear wheels no matter what, a huge improvement.

gotee12

caliblue15 said:
Doesn't matter, GAF only uses steam and for good reason. lol
When I built my PC last October, I bought from whomever had stuff the cheapest (Steam/Impulse/Amazon/etc.). Now after six months, I too have adopted the "only if it will activate on Steam" mentality when it comes to other DD outlets. I just prefer Steam so much more than any other options that are currently available...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
caliblue15 said:

What I find funny is the discrepancy between the "I don't want a Steam monopoly" crowd and the people who post in the All-purpose DD deals thread. If only they spent half as much time filling that thread with the awesome things other DD services do as they do bitching about the awesome things Steam does in a "X getting full steamworks" thread...

Oh well.

Mrbob

Do we have a price yet for DWARFS!?

Steam says it is unlocking in two hours yet I don't see any way to purchase it.

Murkas

Since there is a very good chance there will be a Mass Effect day, is there any important information I should know about the Steam versions? DRM or something?

1-D_FTW

MacGurcules said:
Is that for real? I very nearly uninstalled DiRT2 because of the ten minutes of unskippable garbage at the beginning before it would even let me change resolution.

You should see F1 2010. Codemasters upped the rage level significantly when they added the PR agent discussions at the end of it.

This is a really awful trend that needs to stop quickly.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I almost never use steam for day 1 purchases anymore. As much as I love having the whole steam interface I cannot justify the 2x price difference between D2D and Steam EU anymore.

Steam -> when things go on sale ( let's not kid ourselves, steamsales are amazing )
D2D -> day 1 purchases and sleuthing for cheap steamworks titles.

morningbus

Murkas said:
Since there is a very good chance there will be a Mass Effect day, is there any important information I should know about the Steam versions? DRM or something?

The only thing that bothered me is that there is no support for the 360 pad. The keyboard and mouse controls are great, but it sucks that they didn't give us an option that is already there.

Corky said:
I almost never use steam for day 1 purchases anymore. As much as I love having the whole steam interface I cannot justify the 2x price difference between D2D and Steam EU anymore.

Steam -> when things go on sale ( let's not kid ourselves, steamsales are amazing )
D2D -> day 1 purchases and sleuthing for cheap steamworks titles.

How do you mean? The pricing on D2D is the same for the EU region.

Or can you just buy from another region on D2D?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
caliblue15 said:
Anyone worth their salt makes an exception for GoG at least. They do a hell of a lot to get old games up there, make them compatible, and DRM Free. They actively pursue publishers to release them.

Zeitgeister said:

D2D almost always has the best sales for new releases. I think most people were getting Brink in mid 30$ thanks to a sale+coupon.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Zeitgeister said:

Yes, you can buy from other regions. But mind you the prices of new games on D2D (UK) eu is not the same as Steam eu.

Right now Brink is 50 euro on steam and £30 on D2D ( ~33 euros ), also given the fact that D2D is seemingly in a perpetual state of low-discount on upcoming games it is not difficult to have day 1 purchases that cost you anything inbetween 25% - 50% to that of the steamprices.

But I digress.

Competition is healthy and here's hoping more DDs company flourish.

LegoDad

shintoki said:
Anyone worth their salt makes an exception for GoG at least. They do a hell of a lot to get old games up there, make them compatible, and DRM Free. They actively pursue publishers to release them.

D2D almost always has the best sales for new releases. I think most people were getting Brink in mid 30$ thanks to a sale+coupon.

It was kind of a joke for all the steam only stuff. lol, and it's also true. lol

gotee12 said:
When I built my PC last October, I bought from whomever had stuff the cheapest (Steam/Impulse/Amazon/etc.). Now after six months, I too have adopted the "only if it will activate on Steam" mentality when it comes to other DD outlets. I just prefer Steam so much more than any other options that are currently available...

Yeah, I'm part of this. It does worry me . . . if Valve were to go belly up (or tits up for you commonwealth people) then one worries about losing access to all your games. Considering how strong Valve is right now, that doesn't seem to be a worry but it could be. And one worries about how Valve would morph if they went public or were bought out.

But right now, Steam has managed to turn DRM from something that pisses people off into an advantage for gamers. It is cool that I can download and play any game I own onto any PC I encounter as long as it has an internet connection. And with many games, I can play them on the PC or the Mac.

shuyin_

Banned
hamchan said:
I think D2D has been showing good competition to Steam lately.
Steam is almsot invariably worse than D2D and GG (and maybe Impulse, i don't know about that) when it comes to prices for europeans.

Even if you compare sales, most games are cheaper when on sale on other digital services than Steam.

I have my games library spread amongst about 4 download services (including EADM which is pretty cool to be honest). I am against the Steam only mentality. Take EA games for example; i found some for cheap on EA's DD service and since they don't have STEAM achievements, there's absolutely no reason for me to get them on STeam (and for more money).

Gabe himself has said that people should get their games where it's best for them. "More games sold outside of Steam means more pc gamers, which is good for Steam."

When it comes to buying games online and it's either not on steam or still full price on steam I go check out D2D, after that I wait it out as I dislike signing up for too many places. D2D have had some really good sales or offers on in the last year.

Sanjay

morningbus said:
The only thing that bothered me is that there is no support for the 360 pad. The keyboard and mouse controls are great, but it sucks that they didn't give us an option that is already there.

Well unlike you we play like men on a PC, mouse and keyboard! I bet you drink coffee with a straw too. Aim assisted coffee, no thanks :|

morningbus

1) I drink tea, Sanjay. You know this and I take your assertions as a personal attack against me.

2) I do in fact own a number of straws specifically designed to drink tea through. So... there is that.

Sanjay said:
Well unlike you we play like men on a PC, mouse and keyboard! I bet you drink coffee with a straw too. Aim assisted coffee, no thanks :|

True but Mass Effect 1/2 are much better with a game pad, why the hell is support not included on PC for ME???

Sanic

Anybody ever have an issue where Steam will sit at the "Connecting to Steam account: AccountName" screen? There's nothing wrong with my connection, and i've been unable to connect for about an hour now.

Murkas

I can live with no 360 pad support for Mass Effect :p

Hopefully it comes up today.

What games were on the last EA sale a few weeks back? I remember Burnout, ME, Dragons Age, Battlefield and C&C. it would suck if we got the exact same stuff :(

scorpscarx said:
True but Mass Effect 1/2 are much better with a game pad, why the hell is support not included on PC for ME???

Because it has a super complex PC exclusive interface....or so Bioware says.

There's really no difference at all, it just looks different. So they're lazy.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
morningbus said:
1) I drink tea, Sanjay. You know this and I take your assertions as a personal attack against me.

2) I do in fact own a number of straws specifically designed to drink tea through. So... there is that.
k16Rz.png

Fake Edit: Ahhh, I love the imgur plugin

NeoandGeo

Banned
To top it off, both games have controller setups hidden within them, that can be unlocked with simple .ini tweaks. Using a gamepad for both games was an immensely better experience, imo.

Concept17

morningbus said:

:lol

NeoandGeo said:
To top it off, both games have controller setups hidden within them, that can be unlocked with simple .ini tweaks. Using a gamepad for both games was an immensely better experience, imo.

Do tell? Only thing stopping my replays is this and I don't have a true need for Xpadder.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
scorpscarx said:
Mass Effect 1 is much better with a keyboard. 2...well, that's up in the air really. It's passable with a keyboard but they really didn't do much to improve on it. Key bindings kind of suck by default and they link abilities like on the console version (run/use). It's Bioware, expect corners to be cut I guess.

NeoandGeo

Banned
scorpscarx said:
Do tell? Only thing stopping my replays is this and I don't have a true need for Xpadder.

http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=703525&forum=125

The actual files are kind of a PITA to find, but it gives great support, 360 controller button pics and all. You just have to keep a mouse handy for the decryption minigames. They couldn't be done with the controller for some reason.

For ME2, I decided to go with Pinnacle Game Profiler since I could customize everything as personally as I wanted.

You wouldn't happen to have them Neo? We could Pidgin xfer... I'm sure a lot of people need those files too.

I'm not in any rush though so I'll do some googling.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sanjay said:

Careful. Just like 30fps has become acceptable among PC-GAF, as too has controller support.

Sysgen

caliblue15 said:

Really. Amazon has had Crysis 2 for $40 this week as well as Shift 2 for $30. Bought NFSHP today for $12. If the price is close I'll make an exception for Steam achievements but otherwise I buy for the best price.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JaseC said:
Careful. Just like 30fps has become acceptable among PC-GAF, as too has controller support.
That comparison doesn't work because 60 fps looks better in all scenarios. MKB is not the ideal controller in all scenarios.

hiryu

I picked up Hot Pursuit and now I can trade in my ps3 version. I'll get 5 more dollars for the trade-in than what I paid for the PC copy too.

NeoandGeo

Banned
scorpscarx said:
You wouldn't happen to have them Neo? We could Pidgin xfer... I'm sure a lot of people need those files too.

I'm not in any rush though so I'll do some googling.

I'm at work, but if you still haven't found them tonight, I can give you the necessary input files for the 360 controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom