• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

mxgt said:
Sims 3 has been out almost 2 years and it's still as high as £18 when on sale?
It's because a huge portion of Sims players are girls that only play The Sims, so it's easier to sucker them in.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Well Sim City is bought for 5 bucks anyway.

Strange that the link doesn't work on the front page though if you want Sim City.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
scorpscarx said:
Mass Effect 2 especially screams comfy couch, I had more fun with the PS3 demo of it than almost my entire 2 foot from the screen playthrough.
That's the fault of your set up. I play my PS3/PC on the same TV at a pleasant distance and I hated the PS3 demo because it looked and ran like shit and I couldn't stand the Dualshock 3. Fortunately, I have a nice lap desk and the HD version of the game that I have played to completion in my comfy reclining chair.

gotee12

Warrior_Keoni said:
Is SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition worth it? It's 5 bucks.
I didn't enjoy it.

Would've considered the Sims as it's been ages since I've played a Sims game. But I'm not tempted at all by that price.

desu

SalsaShark said:
isnt that basically the same ?

Well 5$ = 3,3€ so its a little more than our price.

However considering that we had to pay 25€ (=37$) for NFS HP, this was a little surprise to me :).

eznark

Banned
You mean those expansion packs cost more than $15 when they were released? Christ, Sims is a bigger rip off than that train simulator.

e_i

Nothing for me. Saving my $$$ for ME2.

EA are a bunch of ********** for charging that much for The Sims 3.

Zimbardo

i don't plan on buying a Sims game at this moment, but i remember the very first Sims game was pretty funny.

example:

building walls around your neighbor so he can't escape while you romance, bang, and live with his wife.

the poor guy was crying and pissing himself for days until he croaked. lol

another time i had created a young bachelor, who was having a quiet evening at home and decided to cook up some beans and wieners. all was going well until a fire broke out on the stove. in my character's attempt to put out the flames, he went up in flames himself.

he died a lonely death ...at home alone. all he wanted was a pot of beans and wieners. he paid for it with his life.

a shame.

:D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I kinda want the Sims, but even with a sale all that stuff looks so overpriced. $10 for a lawn furniture pack? No thanks man.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Snuggler said:
I kinda want the Sims, but even with a sale all that stuff looks so overpriced. $10 for a lawn furniture pack? No thanks man.
The Sims' real innovation was making playing dollhouse and paying for the obscenely overpriced accessories socially acceptable for adults.

denomes

Stallion Free said:
That's the fault of your set up. I play my PS3/PC on the same TV at a pleasant distance and I hated the PS3 demo because it looked and ran like shit and I couldn't stand the Dualshock 3. Fortunately, I have a nice lap desk and the HD version of the game that I have played to completion in my comfy reclining chair.

What kind of lap desk do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SapientWolf said:
The Sims' real innovation was making playing dollhouse and paying for the obscenely overpriced accessories socially acceptable for adults.
As opposed to making playing murder and violence and paying for obscenely overpriced maps socially acceptable for adults?

denomes

morningbus said:
There isn't a better, steam-integrated racing game out there. So, if you want a racing game you pretty much are always going to have to deal with that.

I ended up picking it up (Hot Pursuit). Is there a GAF group/list of EA usernames floating around? I thought I saw it on a previous page.

I saw The Sims 3 was on sale. And then I saw that it was $24 with several $10-$20 expansions. That's insane. I think I can stick to The Sims 1. If only houses had the option for geothermal...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Princess Skittles said:
As opposed to making playing murder and violence and paying for obscenely overpriced maps socially acceptable for adults?
That's how we got sports.

I find it hilarious that Section 8: Prejiduce costs the same as a map pack. But the maps and how they're balanced can make or break an online multiplayer game. They're necessary components that inform the gameplay in a meaningful way.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that extra BBQ grills and hot tubs are going to meaningfully alter the core Sims experience. It's just neat stuff for your virtual avatar that people are OCD over for some reason. Like TF2 hats. But the current Sims business model completely revolves around the creation and sale of those items.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The Sims is really its own thing. I don't necessarily agree with the number and pricing of the expansion sets, but it exists and works because it's the type of game that a lot of people basically only buy and play that game so it's not like they're not spending $60 every two weeks for the hottest, newest game, magazine featured, zillion dollar ad campaign game.

Schmattakopf said:
I saw The Sims 3 was on sale. And then I saw that it was $24 with several $10-$20 expansions. That's insane. I think I can stick to The Sims 1. If only houses had the option for geothermal...

Yeah, this doesn't look like a Steam deal at all.

nyong

Banned
I would have tried Sims 3 were it cheaper, but there is zero temptation at that price. I don't know what they're thinking. The people who care already own it, and those that are curious can pick it up on sale anywhere for that price. I agree with the earlier poster who said the base game should have been cheaper (like $10) with the goal to get people hooked and buy the DLC.

eznark

Banned
I hate Sims 3 because it was the last GFW Magazine cover which I still have on my shelf. It reminds me of the tragedy...

nyong said:
I would have tried Sims 3 were it cheaper, but there is zero temptation at that price. I don't know what they're thinking. The people who care already own it, and those that are curious can pick it up on sale anywhere for that price. I agree with the earlier poster who said the base game should have been cheaper (like $10) with the goal to get people hooked and buy the DLC.
Yeah . . . I have little to no interest but I would have picked up that old Sims 3 just to see what it was like if it was cheap. But that price? No thanks.

Echoplx

Stallion Free said:
That comparison doesn't work because 60 fps looks better in all scenarios. MKB is not the ideal controller in all scenarios.

Any genre can be done well on kb/m (well maybe not racing games) by saying your ok with having to use a a controller is basically like giving in to devs who can't be fucked coming up with decent controls for a game. I would never put a gamepad anywhere near my PC. Yuck.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, you only need to buy the expansion packs and not really the stuff packs. At least the expansion packs add more than just items. Though I guess non-Sim players wouldn't know about that.

flsh

Banned
Is Sims 3 worth it at that price? Not going to buy any of the DLC at that price. I think the last time I played Sims was 10 years ago. While it was fun, I didn't really miss it and it's list of a trillion extension packs.

I just want to know how good Sims 3 stand alone is. EA surely knew they were going to make a lot of DLC, so I'm guessing this is pretty bare bones, right?

scitek

3chopl0x said:
Any genre can be done well on kb/m (well maybe not racing games) by saying your ok with having to use a a controller is basically like giving in to devs who can't be fucked coming up with decent controls for a game. I would never put a gamepad anywhere near my PC. Yuck.

Fighting games?

It's fine to be against controllers or whatever, but I don't know why anyone would ever be opposed to having as many options as possible.

TheExodu5

Banned
scitek said:
Fighting games?

It's fine to be against controllers or whatever, but I don't know why anyone would ever be opposed to having as many options as possible.
The keyboard is a fine input option for fighting games. Directional control is less intuitive, but is faster than with a stick. Piano rolling would obviously be very easy. Keyboard is far superior to a controller for fighting games.

The area where I feel a controller is a better option is any game where analog control is crucial. Simulation racers, any game with camera indepedent movement (like Devil May Cry). There are some games where the keyboard may be tehnically superior, but less comfortable and intuitive for me...Super Meat Boy would be a good example of this.

In the end though, you're right. It's all about having options.

My wallet is safe. Not that I have too much dinero in it, mind you. I'm waiting to splurge on the summer sale like a boss. I already own the retail version of The Sims 3 Deluxe and I haven't even played it that much.

LocoMrPollock said:
Is it any good? Seem to remember hearing bad things about it.
Got it on the christmas sale. Its performance is really iffy. It stutters even without many things happening at once. Granted, my system is only entry-level (Dual core 2.60, 3 Gb RAM, 512 MB GT220), but still, I shouldn't have to experience choppiness with a game this old.

From the little I tried, I didn't find too much of a difference compared to other Sim Cities.

Salsa

flsh said:
I just want to know how good Sims 3 stand alone is.

Well its the best Sims game. As far as the series goes, its really really good. Metacritic's score is 86, if you care about that.

Doesnt justify the price in the sense that this is a steam sale, we expect games to go cheaper than this. Otherwise its fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom