• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheExodu5 said:
The keyboard is a fine input option for fighting games. Directional control is less intuitive, but is faster than with a stick. Piano rolling would obviously be very easy. Keyboard is far superior to a controller for fighting games.

The area where I feel a controller is a better option is any game where analog control is crucial. Simulation racers, any game with camera indepedent movement (like Devil May Cry). There are some games where the keyboard may be tehnically superior, but less comfortable and intuitive for me...Super Meat Boy would be a good example of this.

In the end though, you're right. It's all about having options.
I would say any racer really needs Analog. I can not play Outrun 2006 without an Analog input.

hamchan

3chopl0x said:
Any genre can be done well on kb/m (well maybe not racing games) by saying your ok with having to use a a controller is basically like giving in to devs who can't be fucked coming up with decent controls for a game. I would never put a gamepad anywhere near my PC. Yuck.

I think action games like DMC are more suited to gamepads. Stuff like Zelda or Mario Galaxy too. I think refusing to even consider a gamepad is unwise. If it's some sort of PC elitism problem you have then I lol @ you.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Drkirby said:
I would say any racer really needs Analog. I can not play Outrun 2006 without an Analog input.
Flight sims too. And 3D platformers, which are exceedingly rare on the PC anyway.

I prefer a gamepad for some games just because the muscle memory is already there.

Sober

SteelAttack said:
Got it on the christmas sale. Its performance is really iffy. It stutters even without many things happening at once. Granted, my system is only entry-level (Dual core 2.60, 3 Gb RAM, 512 MB GT220), but still, I shouldn't have to experience choppiness with a game this old.
There's a bit of work to be done to get it working on modern systems apparently (IIRC, it came out in 04).

Found a thread for it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1374605

The ST link changed, should be this IIRC.
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/topic/33931-how-to-configure-sc4-to-work-with-your-new-hardware/

(note I haven't actually installed SC4 Deluxe on my new PC so I have no idea if it works, but apparently it works for everyone else)

TheExodu5

Banned
Drkirby said:

Really twitchy arcade racers usually do fine with keyboard. I play Trackmania better with a keyboard than with a controller. Even with analog, you're likely to overshoot turns, and as the keyboard is much faster at self correcting (with light taps), I feel it's a better input for me in that particular game.

Sober said:
There's a bit of work to be done to get it working on modern systems apparently (IIRC, it came out in 04).

Found a thread for it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1374605

The ST link changed, should be this IIRC.
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/topic/33931-how-to-configure-sc4-to-work-with-your-new-hardware/

(note I haven't actually installed SC4 Deluxe on my new PC so I have no idea if it works, but apparently it works for everyone else)
Nice find! Thanks for the infos, I'll definitely give it a go to see if it works.

Sober

hamchan said:
I think action games like DMC are more suited to gamepads. Stuff like Zelda or Mario Galaxy too. I think refusing to even consider a gamepad is unwise. If it's some sort of PC elitism problem you have then I lol @ you.
It's funny, I don't have too much preference for 360 controller vs KBM, or I'm just new to it. I replayed Batman AA with my new gamepad and the only real problem I have (like spent half an hour on a single encounter near the end) is when the rooms are small and the camera works against me. Maybe me fault for getting ganged up in a corner or panicking and starting to button mash, but I sorta hate missing being able to manipulate the camera with the mouse all the time since I have to take my thumb off the right stick to hit the face buttons to fight.

Sober

SteelAttack said:
Nice find! Thanks for the infos, I'll definitely give it a go to see if it works.
Since then though, there have been threads discussing things like running it in Windowed mode; look around. I'm still on XPSP3 so I don't know if you can force affinities and widescreen/custom resolutions in the command line (which I saw alot while snooping for that thread).

SapientWolf said:
I prefer a gamepad for some games just because the muscle memory is already there.

Completely agree. I can't imagine playing a fighting game with anything other than a good arcade stick. Anything else just seems blasphemous. :p

I also prefer a gamepad for platformers.

Anyway, nothing for me from the Sims games. My wallet needed a break.

Echoplx

Anyone buying SimCity add this to your launch options: -CustomResolution:enabled -r****x**** -intro:eek:ff -EH:eek:ff -CPUCount:1 (add your own res)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Going though my images in drop box, I still find this really funny:
manual.png

TheExodu5

Banned
SapientWolf said:

That's pretty much the gist of it for me. I mean, I figured Super Meat Boy would technically be better with a keyboard, but the muscle memory was just not there, and because of it, I struggled with the simplest of tasks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
3chopl0x said:
Any genre can be done well on kb/m (well maybe not racing games) by saying your ok with having to use a a controller is basically like giving in to devs who can't be fucked coming up with decent controls for a game. I would never put a gamepad anywhere near my PC. Yuck.
You just defeated your own argument.

Echoplx

Stallion Free said:
You just defeated your own argument.

So it would seem, i added the racing games bit after writing the statement but eh I meant in general for games that can be done well on kb/m (as shown by past games).

V_Ben

Banned
I wonder if EA will ever add their Mac games to steam. I'd buy Sims 3 if I could actually play it without booting into Windows!

LegoDad

Started Simcity 4 today, and I haven't had any issues with how it's running so far. I still suck at the game though, I try to build too quickly, never have enough money coming in.

Twig

Banned
3chopl0x said:
I had a gamepad for my PC way back before I even knew what a console was.

I didn't use it often, though, because the quality of PC gamepads was less consistently good in those days. Now I just plug in my 360 controller (I don't even have a 360), and life is good. If a game is designed for gamepad, I win. If a game is designed for PC, I win. Both are completely valid forms of input. Sometimes this or that genre is inherently more suited to this or that input, but that doesn't mean gamepads are shit.

To sum: you should feel bad for being so closed-minded.

Ledsen

Twig said:
I had a gamepad for my PC way back before I even knew what a console was.

I didn't use it often, though, because the quality of PC gamepads was less consistently good in those days. Now I just plug in my 360 controller (I don't even have a 360), and life is good. If a game is designed for gamepad, I win. If a game is designed for PC, I win. Both are completely valid forms of input. Sometimes this or that genre is inherently more suited to this or that input, but that doesn't mean gamepads are shit.

To sum: you should feel bad for being so closed-minded.

Isn't he just trolling? No one could be that ignorant.

Sober

caliblue15 said:
Started Simcity 4 today, and I haven't had any issues with how it's running so far. I still suck at the game though, I try to build too quickly, never have enough money coming in.
There are pretty much two ways to play it, like a Sim game and get good at the system, or just input cheat for tons of cash and make it look pretty. (both would involve installing a ton of mods).

example of how pretty it can get: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/to...cattala/page__st__90__p__1143093#entry1143093
or scroll down this page: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/topic/574-rodina/page__st__990

I just pulled them out at random.

Joe Molotov

For most non-FPS console ports, I use a 360 controller. Even when the KB/M scheme is decent, a controller generally works better.

nexen

Flight sims and racing sims need pads (or wheels and HOTAS).
Some shooters feel better to me with a pad lately. Mostly because I can lean back in my chair I think.

Sober

Syphon Filter said:
Speaking of gamepads, is there any gamepad with a good dpad?
360 controller. I got one and then all of a sudden I became a god at Super Meat Boy (that still dies like 500 times)

i have the F510 and the dpad is shit and the triggers have alot resistance but very little throw the analog sticks have a huge dead zone.

Nabs

I have a dedicated 2D controller (Saturn Pad) and one for everything else (360 Pad). The Logitech controller I had kind of sucked. It was good for the price though.

caliblue15 said:
Just set it on the easiest mode and you start out with 200k and will have a 100k+ city in no time. Getting further than that is a pain :(

Kritz

Banned
Part of me wants to buy The Sims 3.

Thankfully, I have several more parts that don't want to go through getting someone to gift it to me, removing more money from my bank account and most importantly the part that says "The Witcher 2 comes out in like a week, the fuck are you doing making your backlog bigger when you haven't even finished started The Witcher?!"

On the AU store, Sims 3 is $50.

They seem to be confused between the price of a new game, and the price of a two year old game on sale.

Kritz said:
Part of me wants to buy The Sims 3.

Thankfully, I have several more parts that don't want to go through getting someone to gift it to me, removing more money from my bank account and most importantly the part that says "The Witcher 2 comes out in like a week, the fuck are you doing making your backlog bigger when you haven't even finished started The Witcher?!"

On the AU store, Sims 3 is $50.

They seem to be confused between the price of a new game, and the price of a two year old game on sale.

I'd make that my primary gaming goal right now.

EternalGamer said:
Why would anyone want Sim City when Civ 5 exists.

Why would anyone want Gears of War 3 when nintendogs + cats exists?

Just bought Sim City 4 and modded it up and then quit. The steam circle of life continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom