• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Not sure why you think that, it's safe to assume that the majority of PC gamers don't even know/care about mechanical keyboards.

I'm not sure what part of my post you're criticizing...

Syphon Filter said:
nah not touching those,way too expensive. I am usually good with any keyboard but the g110 seems nice.

Well I guess it depends whether or not backlighting and macro keys are worth $50 to you.

TheExodu5

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Not criticizing, just wondering why you think a lot of gamers are moving to mechanical keyboards.

Because of obvious marketing pushes and word of mouth across forums.

You seemed to think that I was implying that a majority of gamers were moving to mechanical keyboards. That is not the case. I simply said a lot of people are going to mechanical. To further clarify, I mean to say that a lot of people are paying the extra cash for mechanical or (in rarer cases) scissor switches instead of (imo) gimmicks like macro keys and a fancy display screen.

I have not tried a mechanical keyboard, personally. However, I'm using the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard which is a slim profile backlit scissor switch keyboard which I love (though I wouldn't recommend it anymore, since newer models have ghosting). I never want to go back to membrane switches.

Echoplx

TheExodu5 said:
Because of obvious marketing pushes and word of mouth across forums.

You seemed to think that I was implying that a majority of gamers were moving to mechanical keyboards. That is not the case. I simply said a lot of people are going to mechanical. To further clarify, I mean to say that a lot of people are paying the extra cash for mechanical or (in rarer cases) scissor switches instead of (imo) gimmicks like macro keys and a fancy display screen.

I have not tried a mechanical keyboard, personally. However, I'm using the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard which is a slim profile backlit scissor switch keyboard which I love (though I wouldn't recommend it anymore, since newer models have ghosting). I never want to go back to membrane switches.

Uhh..

A lot of gamers have started to move towards mechanical switch or scissor switch keyboards today

Not sure how you intended that to be taken..

I'm a member of the biggest PC forum in my country, and I can tell you that there are not that many people who use or even talk about mech/scissor keyboards, let alone buy them.

I'm sure if we had actual sale figures you would see that this isn't the case.

TheExodu5

Banned
LastWindow said:
TheExodu5, what keyboard are you currently using?

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
14557.png

I hear it has ghosting problems with shift + W in the newer models...though mine does not have any ghosting I have been able to perceive.

3chopl0x said:
Uhh..

Not sure how you intended that to be taken..

Um...literally? I'm not sure if you know what "a lot" means.

I tried one, but all that 'tap 'tap 'tapping woke up my entire house so I got rid of that thing, LOL.

I prefer the logitech and razer lycosa feel.

TheExodu5

Banned
scorpscarx said:
I tried one, but all that 'tap 'tap 'tapping woke up my entire house so I got rid of that thing, LOL.

Yeah that's basically why I figure I wouldn't do well with a mechanical keyboard. I like my scissor switch since it's super responsive and tactile but is extremely quiet to boot.

scorpscarx said:
I prefer the logitech and razer lycosa feel.

Those would be scissor switch keyboards. ;)

Scissor switch basically means laptop keys. There is a difference though. My keyboard has regular sized keys (actually, the tactile surface size is bigger than regular keys), but the depreciation in the key press is much longer than in a laptop keyboard, which makes it feel considerably different.

Scissor switch keyboards are interesting. If you push them slowly, there is a point in the travel where all resistance disappears and the key just pushes itself down completely. This produces a very tactile feedback to confirm that you've hit a key. It's also incredibly quiet. It wouldn't be to everybody's taste, but I sure like it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sanjay said:
Is this a joke?
It is doable. I do find a keyboard does work better for Neogeo games. I am much better at Metal Slug with a keyboard then with an arcade stick or Saturn pad.

I've never actually tried playing a fighting game with a keyboard. It just seems so foreign to me. Think I'll give it a try and see if if I can adapt to it.

Gvaz

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
boys boys we can all agree that mechanical keyboards are stupid and nobody actually buys them
I want to buy a DAS keyboard but I know my roommates would throw a fit. They already throw a fit for my music being too loud.

TheExodu5

Banned
LastWindow said:
I've never actually tried playing a fighting game with a keyboard. It just seems so foreign to me. Think I'll give it a try and see if if I can adapt to it.

If you have Street Fighter IV, start with the training challenges. I was really surprised at how easy some of the stuff is to pull off. The only thing I had trouble with was C. Viper's high jump, since down and up both require the middle finger. I considered changing WASD to DSFA so I could use my pinky to jump instead...but I have a TE stick so I just use that.

Gvaz said:
I want to buy a DAS keyboard but I know my roommates would throw a fit. They already throw a fit for my music being too loud.

Scissor switches are calling for you. ;)

plc268

1-D_FTW said:
Although I'm not sure I'm all that thrilled with it. It's a definitely a significant improvement over stock, but it still seems a little wonky. There's just a weird swaying effect that seems completely unnatural (G27). It was one of the things I didn't like about the game before at launch. If I can't tweak it out, not sure I'll play it much more.

I'm only playing it with a 360 controller so far, and it's practically unplayable on the "experienced" driving model. But what do you mean by swaying effect? I've noticed that after the mod, the weight transfer into corners seems to be exaggerated a little, but I can deal with it because on the stock version it felt like you were practically weightless.

But yea, it's not a perfect. However, it made a shitty game playable, and for that, I'm happy.

LegatoB

TheExodu5 said:
If you have Street Fighter IV, start with the training challenges. I was really surprised at how easy some of the stuff is to pull off. The only thing I had trouble with was C. Viper's high jump, since down and up both require the middle finger. I considered changing WASD to DSFA so I could use my pinky to jump instead...but I have a TE stick so I just use that.
The real problem with using a keyboard for a fighting game is that most keyboards have pretty strict rules about how many different keypresses they will recognize at the same time. Most cap out at around three at once or so, which is pretty difficult when you're trying to press button combinations and two keys for a diagonal direction at the same time. Controllers like the Hitbox are very much like using a keyboard to play these games, but without the technical issues. Kind of want one of those myself, honestly.

TheExodu5 said:
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
14557.png

I hear it has ghosting problems with shift + W in the newer models...though mine does not have any ghosting I have been able to perceive.
I was about to say this. I had a guy come into work and had to exchange the Illuminated for another one because of ghosting.

I use the MS Ergo. 4000 and have had no problems with a wide variety of games.

plc268

Cipherr said:
I would assume that most gamers are using keyboard made for gaming that dont have issues with key ghosting and horrible latency though. But still, a fighting game with a keyboard? Dear god, I have no idea how people could do that.

It's not nearly as bad and/or difficult as it sounds. As long as you don't have a crappy keyboard, you can do pretty well. The only moves that are difficult on a keyboard in SF4 is anything that requires a full circle... anything else is quite easy actually.

Now, I don't think a keyboard is superior to a fightstick in any way, but it's definitely better than a 360 controller. Try it, you might be surprised. I prefer a fightstick myself, but when all I had was my keyboard on my laptop while travelling, I felt that it was an adequate substitute.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Big Rig said:
I was about to say this. I had a guy come into work and had to exchange the Illuminated for another one because of ghosting.

I have ghosting on mine, but I have to really look for it. It was intelligently designed so that ghosting is not apparent in any video game out there.

The shortest ghosting combination I've found is nm,

I've heard that Logitech basically ended up gimping the keyboard to make their gaming line seem more enticing. It's really quite a shame. In the new ones, Shift + W + Space is blocked...which is something you're very likely to use in an FPS. It's really quite a shame, because the Logitech Illuminated was the best scissor switch keyboard around...it feels much nicer than the Lycosa, IMO.

plc268 said:
It's not nearly as bad and/or difficult as it sounds. As long as you don't have a crappy keyboard, you can do pretty well. The only moves that are difficult on a keyboard in SF4 is anything that requires a full circle... anything else is quite easy actually.

Now, I don't think a keyboard is superior to a fightstick in any way, but it's definitely better than a 360 controller. Try it, you might be surprised. I prefer a fightstick myself, but when all I had was my keyboard on my laptop while travelling, I felt that it was an adequate substitute.

I use the fightstick because it's more fun, but I definitely find the keyboard easier overall. Shoto characters are an absolute joke to play. Only jumping characters give trouble...but I think that could be rectified by using 4 left hand fingers for movement instead of 3.

I don't have Street Fighter IV for PC (well, I will this summer when Arcade Edition comes out), but I've been messing around with Third Strike and I'm surprised at how easy it was to pull off special moves with Dudley and Akuma. I haven't been able to get combos down very well but I'm pleasantly surprised overall.

TheExodu5

Banned
LastWindow said:
I don't have Street Fighter IV for PC (well, I will this summer when Arcade Edition comes out), but I've been messing around with Third Strike and I'm surprised at how easy it was to pull off special moves with Dudley and Akuma. I haven't been able to get combos down very well but I'm pleasantly surprised overall.

Yeah you're basically just lacking muscle memory at this point. It's seriously a pretty great input method for fighting games though, and too many people dismiss it. Not many people own a fighting stick, so this is a great alternative for PC players. Certainly much more capable than a gamepad.

Salsa

Man, Hot Pursuit is fucking awesome, BUT for some reason im getting random framerate drops, and im talking game-turns-into-slideshow bad. After some googling i found out that its somewhat of a normal issue that many people experience, and that there was a patch but didnt seemed to fix a lot :(

Sucks, since if i run the game at max settings or lowest, i get basically the same performance (smooth, until this framerate drops, wich occur kinda frequently).

Oh well, game is great and playable (to my standards, dont know about some of you). Hope someone finds a way around this soon.

TheExodu5

Banned
Usually massive drops like that imply an issue with data transfer, be it running out of RAM, VRAM, or HDD access latency. It sounds like a bug, but if it's something like an HDD access issue, it could be fixable by moving the game to an SSD.

darthbob

TheExodu5 said:
Usually massive drops like that imply an issue with data transfer, be it running out of RAM, VRAM, or HDD access latency. It sounds like a bug, but if it's something like an HDD access issue, it could be fixable by moving the game to an SSD.

'Fixable'. :lol

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:

Well i do have my HDD jammed with stuff. Will try to clear some more space tomorrow..

shintoki said:
Kind of hoping for 5$ Mass Effect tomorrow. Maybe I will get lucky.

I'm hoping for the same thing.

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah you're basically just lacking muscle memory at this point. It's seriously a pretty great input method for fighting games though, and too many people dismiss it. Not many people own a fighting stick, so this is a great alternative for PC players. Certainly much more capable than a gamepad.

I'm becoming more comfortable with it as I play. The computer is still kicking my ass but I can see improvement. This isn't going to replace a stick for me but it'll be good for those times where I'm feeling too lazy to mess with the stick.

Quick question:

PvZ GOTY worth it (at sale price) for PC even if I have it for iOS?

I know there are some significant changes like the minigames and such, but I don't know if there is anything else I should know.

Thoughts?

Sanjay

ExMachina said:
There's a reason someone made this all button "joystick" for fighting games...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1qngjVB_ks&feature=player_embedded

There's a lot of mechanical advantages to having movement mapped to buttons instead of a joystick for fighters. I still prefer arcade-style controls, but if you were going for pure input accuracy/speed, a keyboard or Hitbox would actually be better.

I don't see a keyboard.

vocab said:
No. I wouldn't say it's better, but it's more precise in lots of ways. I played super turbo for 2-4 months on a keyboard. Beat plenty of people on a stick. A control scheme is a control scheme, and if it works out for some people, there's no reason to judge.

Drkirby said:
It is doable. I do find a keyboard does work better for Neogeo games. I am much better at Metal Slug with a keyboard then with an arcade stick or Saturn pad.

I just don't see it being of any use at a competitive leve playing on-line, sure you could get used to it after hours of practice and even then your still at a dis-advantage playing other pad/stick players.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Really, you use what you are best with. The one thing I can say, the bit about keyboards having a delay is total BS.

Actually, that reminds me, I never understood the complaints with Metal Slug 5's Sliding Mechanics till I played the game with a stick rather then a D Pad or keyboard. I find that a stick is far more prone to accidently hitting the diagonals. And ether way, you are still going to have to practice for hours and hours to get good enough not to.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Quick question:

PvZ GOTY worth it (at sale price) for PC even if I have it for iOS?

I know there are some significant changes like the minigames and such, but I don't know if there is anything else I should know.

Thoughts?
Pvsz is always worth 3.40

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Drkirby said:
Really, you use what you are best with. The one thing I can say, the bit about keyboards having a delay is total BS.
You're maybe right about your keyboard, but I've tested a couple of keyboards in my time. I have one here that yields a whopping 110ms on average, it's really cheap and old though. My fastest keyboard is the external Apple USB with numblock. I measure the time between punch and response via audio recording, it doesn't get below 15ms. Which is good enough for anyone, it's about one frame at 60Hz.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't think Audio Recording is a reliable way to test for keyboard lag. Tthe only way to properly sync up would be to use a program on your PC, and it is more likely the program has input lag then the keyboard.

Cipherr

Drkirby said:

Hmm, even wireless? The last time I tried gaming on a wireless keyboard was many MANY many moons ago, but it was ghastly.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Drkirby said:
I don't think Audio Recording is a reliable way to test for keyboard lag. Tthe only way to properly sync up would be to use a program on your PC, and it is more likely the program has input lag then the keyboard.
I wrote said program, it carries the same lag games do (it uses system libraries). It plays back a sample when I punch a key. So I record on another PC, hit the key rather loud, the program plays back a sample, I measure the distance between the sounds on the resulting recording with Audacity. It's pretty easy. The custom code for sample playback might be a bit overkill though.

I did this for musical purposes, the lag fucked me over when I put in live notes via keyboard, so I tried to figure out a way to kill it and hit that hard barrier.

Mr_Zombie

About using keyboards in fighting games - it all depends on keyboard. When I was trying to play SF4 at my friend's I couldn't do any move that includes pushing two buttons simultaneously (throw, focus etc); it was fine on my notebook keyboard though. The same goes with delay and how much do you have to press buttons until they are registered. And what's funny, sometimes the cheapest keyboard is better in this regard then a pricey, full of features ones :D.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Cipherr said:
Hmm, even wireless? The last time I tried gaming on a wireless keyboard was many MANY many moons ago, but it was ghastly.
Hell no, you should never use a wireless keyboard.

wolfmat said:
I wrote said program, it carries the same lag games do (it uses system libraries). It plays back a sample when I punch a key. So I record on another PC, hit the key rather loud, the program plays back a sample, I measure the distance between the sounds on the resulting recording with Audacity. It's pretty easy. The custom code for sample playback might be a bit overkill though.

I did this for musical purposes, the lag fucked me over when I put in live notes via keyboard, so I tried to figure out a way to kill it and hit that hard barrier.
Did you also test it with the joysticks?

So... let's start guessing about the following days:

Mass Effect Day (almost sure)
War Day (Medal Of Honor + Battlefield maybe also Crysis dunno) Day (maaaaaaaaaybe)
Command And Conquer Day (for sure)
Dead Space Day (almost sure)

There are not many options really xD

EDIT: The promo "hit" me with SimCity 4 Deluxe... it's an awesome deal.

I'm guessing Mass Effect, Dead Space, Crysis, and Battlefield. Not in that order but those games. I'd like to see Mirror's Edge and Deathspank games but I'm doubtful on it happening for them.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Drkirby said:
Hell no, you should never use a wireless keyboard.
Allegedly, bluetooth keyboards are okay.

Did you also test it with the joysticks?
No. Never thought about using joysticks for making music, so that didn't spring to mind at the time. I might though!

DisenLedZep said:
So... let's start guessing about the following days:

Mass Effect Day (almost sure)
War Day (Medal Of Honor + Battlefield maybe also Crysis dunno) Day (maaaaaaaaaybe)
Command And Conquer Day (for sure)
Dead Space Day (almost sure)

There are not many options really xD

EDIT: The promo "hit" me with SimCity 4 Deluxe... it's an awesome deal.
GUN CLUB DAY

LegoDad

So what is up with Crysis 1? I kill the final boss and the game froze and shut down, now I can't even look at save game files... what a glitchy POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom