• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Wow. Getting around to installing the Shift mods that somebody linked on the previous page.

#1) Them's some hardcore installation directions. Yikes. I'm definitely copying the folder to another drive when I get done. I'm not doing this again.

#2) Are you EFFING KIDDING ME? I'm reading the readme, and it seems the physics bugs with the game were from typos? "One letter typos" were the reason certain cars would have the jump bugs? I don't like using the L word, but that's some lazy shit if true.

Kritz

Banned
LastWindow said:
I'd make that my primary gaming goal right now.

I've played the beginning tutorial six times by now. Each time I hit the start of act 1, and kill the three monsters, I totally lose interest in the game. Game doesn't do the greatest job of motivating a motherfucker.

... I'll try to play more of it today.

Kritz said:
I've played the beginning tutorial six times by now. Each time I hit the start of act 1, and kill the three monsters, I totally lose interest in the game. Game doesn't do the greatest job of motivating a motherfucker.

... I'll try to play more of it today.

I didn't fully get into it until Act 2. But Act 1 is much more interesting than that tutorial chapter.

plc268

1-D_FTW said:
Wow. Getting around to installing the Shift mods that somebody linked on the previous page.

#1) Them's some hardcore installation directions. Yikes. I'm definitely copying the folder to another drive when I get done. I'm not doing this again.

I thought so too, but in actuality, the hardest (actually lengthiest) part is preparing the files to be modded. Once you've done that, using the JSGME program, adding and removing mods is easy and trivial.

Hanzou

1-D_FTW said:

#2) Are you EFFING KIDDING ME? I'm reading the readme, and it seems the physics bugs with the game were from typos? "One letter typos" were the reason certain cars would have the jump bugs? I don't like using the L word, but that's some lazy shit if true.

Im looking at getting some mods for it as well. Which ones have you installed?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
wolfmat said:
We need choice, first and foremost. So supporting pads is a good thing.
As long as support for K/M doesn't suffer. He is somewhat right in that the standard control method is an afterthought in some PC games making it a useless option when it should be the best control option.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
poppabk said:
As long as support for K/M doesn't suffer. He is somewhat right in that the standard control method is an afterthought in some PC games making it a useless option when it should be the best control option.
Sure, I had that complaint with Darksiders, it's kind of jerky with KB/M. But it's far from the norm in my library, so that doesn't make me worry, really.

Piano

Banned
So is SimCity 4 good? Someone sell me on the game. Never played it, but I did absolutely love Civ 4 and the Roller Coaster Tycoon games...

...though I sort of skirted over some of the more realistic complexities in both of those games so I could just focus more on having fun. Always set the workers in Civ 4 to 'auto-improve'

Sober said:
There's a bit of work to be done to get it working on modern systems apparently (IIRC, it came out in 04).

Found a thread for it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1374605

The ST link changed, should be this IIRC.
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/topic/33931-how-to-configure-sc4-to-work-with-your-new-hardware/

(note I haven't actually installed SC4 Deluxe on my new PC so I have no idea if it works, but apparently it works for everyone else)

I tried the ST link and the changes it recommended to the .sgr files. I still have a lot of stuttering, especially when I'm zooming in/out or scrolling through a city. I'm pretty sure there's a bug in the game because a GTX 275 should be able to handle this with ease, with one hand tied behind it's back.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this?

Sarcasm

So odd..I got the Sims 3 complete deal way back before the out door / lawn and it was way cheaper.

Sim City 4 Deluxe is a good buy for all interested.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
TheEastonator said:
So is SimCity 4 good? Someone sell me on the game. Never played it, but I did absolutely love Civ 4 and the Roller Coaster Tycoon games...

...though I sort of skirted over some of the more realistic complexities in both of those games so I could just focus more on having fun. Always set the workers in Civ 4 to 'auto-improve'
SC4 is alright, it's got some performance pitfalls though, crashes randomly on my setup and I have problems getting stable cities going in little time. Stable meaning "generating profit, at least slightly".

But since one can cheat, it's at least easy to get a growing city going and cheating your way out of death by finances.

More Money

Hold down CTRL and press X. When the box pops up, type in moneyeo and hold the SHIFT key. Alternate between hitting ENTER and the UP arrow. For each time these are both pressed, you get 10,000,000 Simoleons.

http://www.ign.com/cheats/games/simcity-4-pc-481429

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Forkball said:
If I had to guess the next four days, It's gotta be Mass Effect, Battlefield, Dead Space, and Spore.
Somehow Batman:AA will even be included in the EA sale.

InertiaXr

I got Hot Pursuit in the sale yesterday and had a few questions about it. Why can't I add friends without first playing at least 1 game online? Why doesn't it have AA in 2011? Why is there unskippable tutorials/cutscenes everywhere?

Sblargh

Banned
Damn, I feel bad for Sims fans. Everything half the price and it's still more expensive that I would consider.
Buying the full game feels like buying less than half of the content.

Edit: Just saw SimCity 4 for 5 bucks. "Sims day" reedemed beyond any possible future corruption.

Blizzard

Banned
InertiaXr said:
I got Hot Pursuit in the sale yesterday and had a few questions about it. Why can't I add friends without first playing at least 1 game online? Why doesn't it have AA in 2011? Why is there unskippable tutorials/cutscenes everywhere?
Because many games don't have AA in 2011 (deferred rendering and it's hard to have AA without DX10/DX11?), or it's hard, or they didn't have time, or whatnot. In the UDK for instance, I still don't know a good way to force AA.

If you have an nVidia card there may be one of those magical hex codes for the super magical nVidia special overrider tool (nSpector or whatever).

And for the rest, because of bad design decisions. I know making a game is a lot harder than it might appear, but I feel like there are so many games where little issues like that (adding friends, for instance) come up. Bad Company 2 for instance. So, you want to add friends! Okay, use our own little friend system. All right, works fine. So, you want to add someone as a friend while one of you is in a game? TOO BAD!

I think it works one way but not the other, but I forget the details. Maybe you can accept friend requests ingame but not send them. Anyway, little things like that are just weird to me, along with making tutorials unskippable. Maybe they're afraid everyone will accidentally press the right button and miss vital information.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
InertiaXr said:
Why can't I add friends without first playing at least 1 game online?
A test of genuine interactivity to prevent spammers from doing their stupidwork.
"Spammers even use gamer profiles?"
Yes.

Why doesn't it have AA in 2011?
They're lazy assholes.

Why is there unskippable tutorials/cutscenes everywhere?
They're assholes.

InertiaXr

Ok, more questions then.

Unskippable cut scenes, IN ONLINE events? guys come on

Edit: Nevermind, found the friends thing on the main menu.

Anyways, pretty fun so far. Done 3 Hot Pursuit events online, finished first as racer in 2 of them (no help from my teammates, hit by spike strip by same guy in both events, then the same guy was swerving in front of me apparently to impede my progress? He was on my team though....) then won event I did as cop, did most of the damage just didn't get the actual takedown. :(

Add me if you know how, InertiaXr on steam and in game.

1-D_FTW

Hanzou said:
Im looking at getting some mods for it as well. Which ones have you installed?

This:

plc268 said:
Shift 1 is more moddable than Shift 2. People have tweaked the physics to make it much more realistic. Also some assets from Shift 2 and other games have even been ported over.

It's worth a look:
http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-overhaul-mod-2-0-released/

Why would it? EA games have never integrated with steam, as far as I know.

Although I'm not sure I'm all that thrilled with it. It's a definitely a significant improvement over stock, but it still seems a little wonky. There's just a weird swaying effect that seems completely unnatural (G27). It was one of the things I didn't like about the game before at launch. If I can't tweak it out, not sure I'll play it much more.

Zimbardo

InertiaXr said:

while Hot Pursuit doesn't have an anti aliasing option in game, you can apply anti aliasing, specifically to Hot Pursuit, via the Nvidia control panel.

i have mine set to 1080p and 4xAA ...i haven't bothered to try anything higher, but you can obviously see the difference in game.

i've never owned an ATI/AMD card, so i don't know if the same can be done with those cards, but i'm assuming that you probably can.

Kunohara

InertiaXr said:
Ok, more questions then.

Unskippable cut scenes, IN ONLINE events? guys come on

Edit: Nevermind, found the friends thing on the main menu.

Anyways, pretty fun so far. Done 3 Hot Pursuit events online, finished first as racer in 2 of them (no help from my teammates, hit by spike strip by same guy in both events, then the same guy was swerving in front of me apparently to impede my progress? He was on my team though....) then won event I did as cop, did most of the damage just didn't get the actual takedown. :(

Add me if you know how, InertiaXr on steam and in game.

About to add you to both. I'm Racist Joke on Steam, RJoke for Hot Pursuit.

Anyone else here feel free to add me to both.

InertiaXr

Zimbardo said:
while Hot Pursuit doesn't have an anti aliasing option in game, you can apply anti aliasing, specifically to Hot Pursuit, via the Nvidia control panel.

i have mine set to 1080p and 4xAA ...i haven't bothered to try anything higher, but you can obviously see the difference in game.

i've never owned an ATI/AMD card, so i don't know if the same can be done with those cards, but i'm assuming that you probably can.

Mind walking me through adding AA in Nvidia control panel? I have a GTX460.

Sanjay

InertiaXr said:

Read sudanmalkovich posts
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3957152&postcount=491
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3957434&postcount=495

TheExodu5 said:
The keyboard is a fine input option for fighting games. Directional control is less intuitive, but is faster than with a stick. Piano rolling would obviously be very easy. Keyboard is far superior to a controller for fighting games.

Is this a joke?

Zimbardo

InertiaXr said:

when you have the nvidia control panel open:

click - manage 3D settings

click - program settings tab

click - Add

browse your PC for the Hot Pursuit exe file ...and then it'll allow you to apply 16x Anisotropic filtering, etc.

choose the Anti aliasing mode - override any application setting.

then choose the amount of AA.

make sure you save the settings by hitting 'Apply' at the bottom right of the screen.

should work fine.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
wolfmat said:
I also don't get this, but a lot of people are saying this. Probably people without a stick.
It's not bad for characters that don't use full circle inputs like Zangief or something.

vocab

Sanjay said:
Is this a joke?

No. I wouldn't say it's better, but it's more precise in lots of ways. I played super turbo for 2-4 months on a keyboard. Beat plenty of people on a stick. A control scheme is a control scheme, and if it works out for some people, there's no reason to judge.

Hitbox is still clunky looking though. I would rather wasd style, but It makes 360s easier (I guess) with the down or up? by your right thumb.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
ExMachina said:
There's a reason someone made this all button "joystick" for fighting games...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1qngjVB_ks&feature=player_embedded

There's a lot of mechanical advantages to having movement mapped to buttons instead of a joystick for fighters. I still prefer arcade-style controls, but if you were going for pure input accuracy/speed, a keyboard or Hitbox would actually be better.
The thing is though that most keyboards carry a considerable delay with them, and most drivers don't even allow for simultaneous input of more than 3 keys (this depends on all sorts of variables though; some keys cancel each other out, for example).

Edit: The delay should be negligible in most network play scenarios, however.

Cipherr

wolfmat said:
The thing is though that most keyboards carry a considerable delay with them, and most drivers don't even allow for simultaneous input of more than 3 keys (this depends on all sorts of variables though; some keys cancel each other out, for example).

I would assume that most gamers are using keyboard made for gaming that dont have issues with key ghosting and horrible latency though. But still, a fighting game with a keyboard? Dear god, I have no idea how people could do that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Cipherr said:
I would assume that most gamers are using keyboard made for gaming that dont have issues with key ghosting and horrible latency though. But still, a fighting game with a keyboard? Dear god, I have no idea how people could do that.

It's just a matter of adapting.

When I used to do TFC skill jumping (similar to Quake strafing and the like), it was ridiculous what I would do with the WASD keys without even noticing. It was just like an extension of my brain, and I would tap combinations of these buttons probably 10+ times a second to get perfectly precise movement.

wolfmat said:

It's not hard to find a keyboard with zero delay today. There are plenty of gaming capable keyboards out there, with membrane, scissor, or mechanical switches, depending on your preference. Ghosting (blocking) keys are not an issue either.

TheExodu5

Banned
Syphon Filter said:
Anyone have the logitech g110 keyboard? How is it?

I don't have it...but it seems overpriced by today's standards. It's just a regular keyboard with macro keys (and a lack of ghosting).

A lot of gamers have started to move towards mechanical switch or scissor switch keyboards today (if they're not content with a regular keyboard). The Razer Blackwidow is quite popular.

Echoplx

TheExodu5 said:
I don't have it...but it seems overpriced by today's standards. It's just a regular keyboard with macro keys (and a lack of ghosting).

A lot of gamers have started to move towards mechanical switch or scissor switch keyboards today (if they're not content with a regular keyboard). The Razer Blackwidow is quite popular.

Not sure why you think that, it's safe to assume that the majority of PC gamers don't even know/care about mechanical keyboards.

TheExodu5 said:

nah not touching those,way too expensive. I am usually good with any keyboard but the g110 seems nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom