• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

chixdiggit

InertiaXr said:
Hot Pursuit I can only handle for a few races at a time it has so many bizarrely stupid design decisions and fucks you over with it's incessant cut scenes in every single race.

I bought Hot pursuit for full price at release and I couldn't have been more disappointed. I really bought it based on how much I loved the Burnout games.

I only payed $6 for Shift and really like it though. So does the Shift overhaul mod do anything for someone just using a 360 pad?

Mairu

Is red faction armageddon confirmed steamworks? I don't see a "requires 3rd party software" warning on the page for it D:

InertiaXr

chixdiggit said:
I bought Hot pursuit for full price at release and I couldn't have been more disappointed. I really bought it based on how much I loved the Burnout games.

I only payed $6 for Shift and really like it though. So does the Shift overhaul mod do anything for someone just using a 360 pad?

Same for me, I got it in this sale for $15 and what a ripoff that is.

So you are currently playing Shift unmodded with a 360 controller? I am planning on using my 360 controller but with that Overhaul mod and assumed it would definitely become better, just not as good as with a wheel.

apana

I hate to keep asking this question, but did anybody download Crysis and check if it does indeed have a 5 activation limit and whether or not their computer now has SecuRom installed? The sale is only until 12 tonight right?

Akkad

Banned
apana said:
I hate to keep asking this question, but did anybody download Crysis and check if it does indeed have a 5 activation limit and whether or not their computer now has SecuRom installed? The sale is only until 12 tonight right?

I can't answer your question about the activation limit, but the sales have been extending well into the afternoon of the next day.

chixdiggit

InertiaXr said:
Same for me, I got it in this sale for $15 and what a ripoff that is.

So you are currently playing Shift unmodded with a 360 controller?

Yes. It seemed to work fine? I did do a dozen or so races on medium difficulty so some of the assists are on.
Does the mod basically make it control more like a sim and less like an arcade racer?

Salsa

Nabs said:
I now have 8 hrs in Hot Pursuit. Online is a blast.

no shit. I only got 4 because i get frustrated from the random framerate drops though D: still havent find a way around that

chixdiggit

Am I the only one that got excited that there is a sequel to Fortix? I actually really liked the first one. It's basically an updated version of Qix.

plc268

chixdiggit said:

It makes a big difference. The simplest way I can explain it, is that it gives all the cars some weight and they don't slide around everywhere as easily with the overhaul mod.

chixdiggit said:
Does the mod basically make it control more like a sim and less like an arcade racer?

Yea, but it doesn't make it necessarily more difficult. Shift masquerades around as a sim racer, but has wonky physics. Overhaul, for the most part, fixes those physics.

Relax.MX

SalsaShark said:
no shit. I only got 4 because i get frustrated from the random framerate drops though D: still havent find a way around that

Man is not your graphic card? is a 9500GT...right? I recommend to check the temperature with speedfan

Something similar happened to me with GTA4, after playing nearly 15 hours, solved by cleaning my card ...

Maybe is time for a new card...(really)

apana said:

Your computer probably already has it. Do a search for paul.dll and you'll find out. But don't delete any instances of it, it'll break your games using it.

Anyway it's $7.50 or $5. I wouldn't worry about it, if you really want to play the game.

chixdiggit

plc268 said:
It makes a big difference. The simplest way I can explain it, is that it gives all the cars some weight and they don't slide around everywhere as easily with the overhaul mod.

Yea, but it doesn't make it necessarily more difficult. Shift masquerades around as a sim racer, but has wonky physics. Overhaul, for the most part, fixes those physics.

Thanks. Installing it now.

Blizzard

Banned
Nabs said:
Damn, that's too bad. Hopefully the upcoming patch helps (we're 3 or so patches behind).
Huh, Hot Pursuit patches? I doubt that there'd be a way to disable the cutscenes in races but that'd be cool.

Also, the singleplayer gets hard FAST, at least for bad drivers like me. I did a few of the police missions, and then hit the first rapid response one. I'm like 9 seconds over the time for gold. X_X Plus the hardest part is right at the end, you lose 2 seconds every time if you ever touch a wall, and if you restart you have to sit through the 5-10 seconds of loading or whatever.

Well I just picked up digital copy of Crysis for the $3.75 sale amount.

That shit is off the hook, I don't care about whatever restrictions they're placing on that or whatever... $3.75 for one of the best games of all time? No doubt.

I used to own a physical copy, and I own Crysis Warhead physical but I'm almost tempted to buy Warhead again just to have the Steam version (but won't because that would be lunacy).

This sale has been reasonably good so far, I've purchased three games so far.

Haven't picked up Hot Pursuit yet, but am seriously considering it... but I'm only going to buy it to 'have it' because I doubt I'll play it very much the way I've been lately :/

graywolf323

LocoMrPollock said:
Your computer probably already has it. Do a search for paul.dll and you'll find out. But don't delete any instances of it, it'll break your games using it.

interesting, my computer has no such file but I'm pretty sure SecuROM is on here somewhere

kamspy

Well this sales comes at a good time for good samaritans.

As it turns out, my Steam account is currently set to: ACCEPTING BRINK GIFTS!!

Take advantage of this and gain +15 karma!

Hawk269

InertiaXr said:
Thanks, I got both Hot Pursuit and Shift in the sale and will probably install that Overhaul 2.0 mod soon for Shift and play some of that. Hot Pursuit I can only handle for a few races at a time it has so many bizarrely stupid design decisions and fucks you over with it's incessant cut scenes in every single race.

What's this overahaul2.0 about? Never heard of it before. Also, anyone know what the Steam Shift 2 update was for? It was like 3gb??

vocab

apana said:

It did not ask me to activate anything, but i'm not sure if any securom got installed since I had previous securom files left over from a different game.

I think it does install some form of securom. I removed the files 5 times, and I can still play the game.

kamspy

Hawk269 said:
What's this overahaul2.0 about? Never heard of it before. Also, anyone know what the Steam Shift 2 update was for? It was like 3gb??

Shift 2 just got a patch. It wasn't 3GB. But it does some pretty decent improvements. Shift 1 modded is still the better game. I have mine modded so it almost perfectly replicates that physics of Forza. Well, at least up to B, and some A cars. The really fast cars are still untamable.

graywolf323 said:
interesting, my computer has no such file but I'm pretty sure SecuROM is on here somewhere

Hmm, really? That is weird.

I'm not sure how to search for the actual drivers, could probably google it, though.

legacyzero said:
Anybody here own Universe Sandbox? How is it?

Looks cool as hell.

I purchased it.

It is very cool, and quite enjoyable to try out things and see what will happen.

I did a test to see what would happen to our solar system in millions of years when the andromeda galaxy and the milky way combine...

I've also done a few tests that were so intensive that it brought my computer to it's knees (3fps). Thinking about the game and that it is just rendering dots and their physics paths you gotta think about how huge that simulation must have been.

I'm a big space nut, love to think about the universe and everything. This is a hell of a tool for a space nut.

Oreoleo

ColonialRaptor said:
Well I just picked up digital copy of Crysis for the $3.75 sale amount.

That shit is off the hook, I don't care about whatever restrictions they're placing on that or whatever... $3.75 for one of the best games of all time? No doubt.
Where on earth are you seeing Crysis for $3.75?

ColonialRaptor said:
I purchased it.

It is very cool, and quite enjoyable to try out things and see what will happen.

I did a test to see what would happen to our solar system in millions of years when the andromeda galaxy and the milky way combine...

I've also done a few tests that were so intensive that it brought my computer to it's knees (3fps). Thinking about the game and that it is just rendering dots and their physics paths you gotta think about how huge that simulation must have been.

I'm a big space nut, love to think about the universe and everything. This is a hell of a tool for a space nut.
I'm very interested in that, but I may wait till it's a bit cheaper. It sounds like it could be fun.

Sysgen

Nabs said:
Damn, that's too bad. Hopefully the upcoming patch helps (we're 3 or so patches behind).

I have the latest patch and it runs like complete total shit. From the hype here GOTY blah blah I was expecting nirvana and I got a racer that makes TDU2 look smooth.

Just bought BRINK for D2D and activated it on Steam. I also noticed there was a pre-order bonus as well but there was no key that came with it.

apana

LocoMrPollock said:

Anyway it's $7.50 or $5. I wouldn't worry about it, if you really want to play the game.

I want to play it but I'm gonna have to pass on this one I think. SecuRom will most likely not have any major effect on my computer but it still is pretty invasive and I've heard reports that the older versions did cause some problems with certain games, dvd drives, and Windows XP/Vista operating systems. Besides it just strikes me as some ol'bullshit that doesn't do anything to harm piracy. Thanks a lot Sony for inventing it! Anyways I assume Crysis will be on sale at some point in the future. It sucks for me but I want to learn more about this before I get it on my computer.

apana

vocab said:
It did not ask me to activate anything, but i'm not sure if any securom got installed since I had previous securom files left over from a different game.

I think it does install some form of securom. I removed the files 5 times, and I can still play the game.

If you removed the SecuRom files from your computer but can still play Crysis then how did you conclude that it does install some for SecuRom? If you can play Crysis with no Securom files on your computer doesn't that mean that Crysis never required Securom in the first place?

So I have seen news articles that talks about it being different in other countries.

Both Crysis and Crysis Warhead are $3.75 on Steam at the moment.

If anyone wants to purchase either I'll be happy to organise it through a gift or whatever on the Steam Sales.

I can't believe that they are both that cheap.... so yeh - anyone wants, shoot me a PM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom