• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm sure I'm missing out on a great experience but that whole 5 activations and you're done forever thing is enough to keep me away from Crysis :\

mclaren777

It just occurred to me that I own 10 games on Steam (collected over many years) but I haven't played any of them. Four of them haven't even been installed.

This trend also extends to console games (4-5 are still in shrinkwrap after many years) and Blu-ray movies (3-4 are in plastic).

Something is wrong with me. :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
wienke said:
I'm sure I'm missing out on a great experience but that whole 5 activations and you're done forever thing is enough to keep me away from Crysis :\

Stallion Free said:
For some reason I was able to play Crysis 1 recently even though I ran out of activations previously. I didn't have to do anything, it just didn't ask for a CD-key or to activate this last time.

No one else seems to have run out as well though because I haven't had anyone bother to reconfirm.

Joe Molotov

mclaren777 said:
It just occurred to me that I own 10 games on Steam (collected over many years) but I haven't played any of them. Four of them haven't even been installed.

This trend also extends to console games (4-5 are still in shrinkwrap after many years) and Blu-ray movies (3-4 are in plastic).

Only 10 Steam games, 4-5 console games, and 3-4 BD's unopened? Good God man, get out of here while you still can! Your needle is still firmly planted on "normal". It's already too late for the rest of us, but you might still have a chance.

Gandie

Already picked up Shift, Mass Effect 1 and now Crysis + Warhead. Mirror's Edge and BC2 at reasonable prices would be nice as well.

nyong

Banned
$5 is game rental price territory. Crysis is an experience well worth having at that price. I played through on medium settings and had a blast.

Twig

Banned
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Crysis 2 isn't on sale. I was hoping it'd get down to $40. I might've bought it. ):

Oh well, I shouldn't be spending money, anyway. It's mostly just a casual interest.

You guys (mostly morningbus) weren't kidding about Hot Pursuit. Fucking ridiculous how many fucking videos the game forces me to watch before I can even play. And then every fucking time I fucking unlock a fucking car or whatever the fuck... And it's all unskippable! CRITERIOOOOOOOOOOON. Somehow they managed to make it even WORSE than Burnout: Paradise. I loved that game, but it was annoying. This game MIGHT be fun, but I feel like I've spent more time watching videos than I have actually playing the game, so far - I know it's not actually the case, but it feels like it - and it just makes me not want to start it up. HNNNGH.

kamspy

Ickman3400 said:
How do these activations work? Is it only for new computers or just installing it again after an uninstall on the same computer?

If you change motherboards 3 times, you have to illegally download a cracked .exe to play, or call EA.

I lucked out by squeezing the AM2+ platform for all it's worth. I've had the same mobo since the early Athon x2 days and Radeon 3650. Been through 2 Athlons, now a Phenom x4, the 3650, a 4870, 4770, and now a 275 GTX (thank god). 2 sets of RAM (went to 1066 when my 800 died, sold the RMA'd sticks) One mobo. My cheap ass loves that upgrade path.

detox said:

Yeah, that's the mod. It's wonderful. All the other mods are meh. Especially the wholesale "Ultra High" config mods. Those aren't necessary on modern hardware. Vanilla DX10 very high with POM and AF is the best I've seen Crysis. High Res foliage is a good mod too. Forgot about that. Highly recommended. I have them all installed right now. I'll see if I can find the necessary files and rehost them for everyone.

With your system you'll do well over 30fps. I average that on mine.

1-D_FTW

Joe Molotov said:
Only 10 Steam games, 4-5 console games, and 3-4 BD's unopened? Good God man, get out of here while you still can! Your needle is still firmly planted on "normal". It's already too late for the rest of us, but you might still have a chance.

LOL

So true. 100 seems to be the starting level and ramps up fairly big from there.

kamspy

1-D_FTW said:
LOL

So true. 100 seems to be the starting level and ramps up fairly big from there.

My Steam list is up to 255. I've probably seen the ending credits to maybe 2 dozen. 3 at the most.

plc268

Joe Molotov said:

Lol... no kidding. I'm pushing nearly 300 steam games. To be fair though, I've pretty much got rid of the majority of my console stuff, but still... 10 isn't much.

Nabs said:

Just played through that demo, and I gotta say, it's a pretty damn fun game. From what I've played, I like it more than Capsized (although, I still haven't given Capsized a fair playthrough yet). Hopefully it gets more difficult as that stuff in the demo was a bit on the easy side.

Sober

kamspy said:
If you change motherboards 3 times, you have to illegally download a cracked .exe to play, or call EA.
Well at that point, I might as well just buy a retail copy and be done with it. I'm not 100% sure if it even will get your Steam account banned but I'd rather not take that risk. I mean, running it on Steam is DRM enough ...

kamspy

Sober said:
Well at that point, I might as well just buy a retail copy and be done with it. I'm not 100% sure if it even will get your Steam account banned but I'd rather not take that risk. I mean, running it on Steam is DRM enough ...

Pretty sure retail copies have the same DRM.

mclaren777 said:

So shrink wrapped games and movies are a little bad. But a Steam backlog is something to be celebrated, not reviled as long as you don't spend way, way too much money.

Lemme dredge up one of my posts from a previous Steam sale:
TheFightingFish said:
These sales have actually changed the way that I think about my backlog. With console games I used to try to always keep my backlog down and quickly trade in stuff that I wasn't using any more. There was a bit of a feeling of guilt watching the trade in prices tick down on games that were just sitting in my cabinet.

But with a gaming PC and Steam sales I now just considers about 60-70 bucks a year an investment in my PC digital library. I don't pay more than about $15 for any one game so that 60 translates to about 10 or 12 games which I can pull up anytime from Steam when I'm in the mood. It's true that for some games that I don't play I might have been able to buy them cheaper, but with $15 starting prices and the fact that you can't trade them in it seems like less of a deal with Steam games. It more like a "Steam subscription" like Zune or Rhapsody for music where I get a whole convenient catalog at my disposal for a fee of X bucks as opposed to individual game purchases.

I also feel a lot less guilty not sinking lots of time into games. Pickup something for $5 playing it until it gets boring in 8 hours or so and then kicking it to the curb is way easier with a big Steam catalog to browse through. I end up getting way more gaming experiences in one year when I play this way.

Sorry, kinda random long post there. This last sale just got me thinking about how Steam changed my gaming habits over the last year or so.

desu

Twig said:
You guys (mostly morningbus) weren't kidding about Hot Pursuit. Fucking ridiculous how many fucking videos the game forces me to watch before I can even play. And then every fucking time I fucking unlock a fucking car or whatever the fuck... And it's all unskippable! CRITERIOOOOOOOOOOON. Somehow they managed to make it even WORSE than Burnout: Paradise. I loved that game, but it was annoying. This game MIGHT be fun, but I feel like I've spent more time watching videos than I have actually playing the game, so far - I know it's not actually the case, but it feels like it - and it just makes me not want to start it up. HNNNGH.

Havent installed the game yet, but maybe its possible to rename the videos so that the game skips them? That used to work on quite a few games.

Sober

Stallion Free said:
That's what I have been trying to say. It didn't ask me to activate the last time I installed it.
It looks like it still installs SecuROM however, so interpret that however you want. (especially if your PC is real fussy with it)

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
That's what I have been trying to say. It didn't ask me to activate the last time I installed it.
I could have sworn that you actually had to contact EA originally to get another activation though, so it seems that one could conclude it originally had the activation limit on Steam and it was then removed.

If so, I am almost surprised they bothered to remove it. They never even bothered to patch in the 64-bit binary to the Steam version as far as I know.

DenogginizerOS said:
I was hoping for a Bulletstorm sale. Perhaps tomorrow.

Me too but I wouldn't count on it for this sale since it's an Epic game, just published by EA. We know Dead Space is going to be one of the two remaining sales and I'm willing to bet Battlefield will be the last one.

I just registered Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate and Mass Effect 2 that I bought this week on Bioware social site but when I hover over the "My Games" tab it shows "Register Games" and under that "Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition PC" which takes me to some player page. Does Mass Effect 2 not get listed like this? I'm just making sure ME2 is registered properly.

LastWindow said:
I just registered Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate and Mass Effect 2 that I bought this week on Bioware social site but when I hover over the "My Games" tab it shows "Register Games" and under that "Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition PC" which takes me to some player page. Does Mass Effect 2 not get listed like this? I'm just making sure ME2 is registered properly.

Mine does the same thing, not even the 360 version was listed but it was registered as both of my Cerberus Networks work fine.

Ickman3400 said:
Mine does the same thing, not even the 360 version was listed but it was registered as both of my Cerberus Networks work fine.

Okay, that's good to know. I take it the first Mass Effect can't be registered on there?

Shambles

Seriously considering buying Crysis but won't until I know for sure both games have no activiation limit or other BS like that.

Edit: Or if it forces you to link up to some EA account or anything like that is also a deal breaker

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Shambles said:
Seriously considering buying Crysis but won't until I know for sure both games have no activiation limit or other BS like that.

Edit: Or if it forces you to link up to some EA account or anything like that is also a deal breaker

I just bit on the Crysis sale because of a person in this thread linking to this forum:

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/topic5583

Fifth post down.

Shambles

wienke said:
I just bit on the Crysis sale because of a person in this thread linking to this forum:

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/topic5583

Fifth post down.

Thanks for the info, for some reason I thought it was the other way around where warhead was normal and the original has the activation stuff. Either way it's a shame, looks like I won't be picking it up. Sacred 2 will be the first and last game that I'll ever have to keep track of activations on.

need for speed hot pursuit or dead space 2? (I realize the EA store has Ds2 for cheap today) I like eviscerating necromorphs and high speed chases. Which to get?

rather use steam...

LastWindow said:
Okay, that's good to know. I take it the first Mass Effect can't be registered on there?

I can't help you with that one as I don't have it on PC and when it came out on 360 that Bioware network or whatever didn't exist.

InertiaXr

Alcoholikaust said:
need for speed hot pursuit or dead space 2? (I realize the EA store has Ds2 for cheap today) I like eviscerating necromorphs and high speed chases. Which to get?

rather use steam...

Hot Pursuit was just on sale on Steam like 3 days ago for $15...

Kuran

Banned
Just got Crysis and Warhead, is Crysis Wars still being played?

Never played the series, I'm sure they'll run decent enough on my i7 Macbook Pro 2011.
Far more interested in playing Crysis 1 compared to Crysis 2.. the non-linear island setting has me excited.

Am I wrong in expecting the latter levels, and Warhead, to almost exclusively take place in a snowy setting and fighting against aliens? Not looking forward to that so much..

Blizzard

Banned
Alcoholikaust said:
yes, I realize I cannot time travel, is the game any good is what I was asking.
I would wait on a sale if I were you. *shrug* It's pretty good, and maybe most fun if you can find friends to race with while you unlock vehicles etc. There's free for all as well as cops vs. speeders where you try to take out each other with spike strips, barricades, and so on.

Performance seems decent on my ATI card, but I still don't know exactly what settings (if any) are needed on an ATI card to get AA working.

There are annoying design decisions, like lots of unskippable little cutscenes or car unlocks. Racing in general feels good to me.

Personally I don't play racing games much, but I feel it's worth it for $15-20 or less. It's unfortunate you ask now since both Amazon and Steam just had sales on it. It's currently $24 on Amazon, but some people have complained that the Amazon downloader isn't always reliable.

hamchan

Alcoholikaust said:
yes, I realize I cannot time travel, is the game any good is what I was asking.

Yes, the game is extremely good. Unfortunately it's hard to say whether you should get Dead Space 2 or Hot Pursuit as they both good but are in two different genres and quite hard to compare you see.

chixdiggit

Really hoping to get Dead Space 2 on the cheap. I also would like a sale on Bullet Storm but I'm pretty certain that won't happen.

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
There are annoying design decisions, like lots of unskippable little cutscenes or car unlocks. Racing in general feels good to me.

This is the worst part of Hot Pursuit to me. The first handful of events (especially cop events) can be beaten in 1 or 2 minutes, literally. And then it's followed by like 30-60 seconds of unlocking/tutorial videos. You spend as much time in the menu as you do on the road. But once you get through that first hour or so it isn't too bad.

Having to watch all the intro videos every time the game loads up is super annoying too. But the game is fun.

Not sure if this was posted, but in regards to Impulse and titles using Steamworks:

Zoomba said:
I can't comment on future plans. All I can say is right now, we're preparing to release a number of Steamworks titles as well as our usual flow of non-Steamworks games. Magicka was the first one to go out since there was such high interest in it within the community when it originally launched.

http://forums.impulsedriven.com/408383

Also, Stardock might have an agreement to stay exclusive to Impulse for a specific amount of time and that amount is said to be 10 months. So we may start seeing them on other services next year. Not sure how reliable this bit is though.

Jinaar

Crysis. Bought.

EDIT: I feel shitty not getting NFS HP for cheap. But this can all be better if this weekend we get Bad Company 2 for uber sale. Please please please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom