• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

LeadGandalf said:
Mirror's Edge!!!

Please :/

I could see tomorrow being Dead Space day, and then Sunday being sort of a grab bag of different IP's that didn't need their own day (MOH, BFBC2, FIFA). Maybe.

InertiaXr

Orellio said:
This is the worst part of Hot Pursuit to me. The first handful of events (especially cop events) can be beaten in 1 or 2 minutes, literally. And then it's followed by like 30-60 seconds of unlocking/tutorial videos. You spend as much time in the menu as you do on the road. But once you get through that first hour or so it isn't too bad.

Having to watch all the intro videos every time the game loads up is super annoying too. But the game is fun.

Yup, way too much tutorial stuff and I have crashed more in races because of how those stupid fucking cut scenes put you back on the road in terrible positions than I have due to my own user error. When the game automatically puts you into drifts coming out of the cut scenes in-race then you know you've failed as a developer. So sad, Criterion made something like Burnout Takedown and then regressed back to this.

I agree the online in particular seems fun so far, just again it's irritating the couple times per race they show some cut scene becuase of a fucking spike strip....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i double dipped on ME because it was so cheap and it meant I didn't need my physical disc anymore. Tempted to do the same with Crysis but not sure.

what is warhead? Never played it, only heard it in passing

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
mrklaw said:
i double dipped on ME because it was so cheap and it meant I didn't need my physical disc anymore. Tempted to do the same with Crysis but not sure.

It's a standalone expansion that is shorter and somewhat less open but more refined in its gameplay.

Carm

mrklaw said:

Sorta sequel to the first one, from the eyes of one of the characters and what he does while you're doing stuff in Crysis 1. Warhead runs better than C1, sounds great doesn't it? Unfortunately, one of the reasons it runs better is because there is a ton of pop up of objects, among other corners that were cut. Definitely worth playing through, but not has good as C1.

NIN90

apana said:
Stupid question I know, but what is an activation limit? Is it a requirement with both Crysis and Crysis:Warhead?

A limit on how many different machines you can install the game.
People throw a big hiss over it. Rather insignificant thing imo.

plc268

NIN90 said:
A limit on how many different machines you can install the game.
People throw a big hiss over it. Rather insignificant thing imo.

Insignificant? Yea ok. Some people upgrade their systems on a regular basis... annually, sometimes more. If you change your motherboard and reinstall windows, then you lose an activation. A lot won't ever reach that limit, but there are some that do. Securom is fine if you have the ability to regain those activations (some games allow it), but ultimately Securom should be patched out of the game after it's 1-2 years old.

plc268

Stitch said:
meh if i ever hit that activation limit i will just use a cracked exe lol

Me too, but people shouldn't have to resort to those measures when they've legitimately purchased the game.

At any rate, Crysis doesn't appear to have an activation limit anymore (according to that crysis forum link), and Crysis Warhead does, but it should revoke an activation should you uninstall it. Not sure if "Delete Local Content" from steam counts as an uninstall though...

Narag

plc268 said:
Me too, but people shouldn't have to resort to those measures when they've legitimately purchased the game.

At any rate, Crysis doesn't appear to have an activation limit anymore (according to that crysis forum link), and Crysis Warhead does, but it should revoke an activation should you uninstall it. Not sure if "Delete Local Content" from steam counts as an uninstall though...

There's a utility to reset the activations too iirc.

apana

plc268 said:

I thought somebody said that wasn't true. Anyways what is SecuROM? Will it do anything strange to my computer if I download Crysis and the game comes with it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
crimsonheadGCN said:
It's only 6GB if you just choose to download the campaign. Single and multiplayer are separate executables.

how do I do that? I won't play multiplayer. The complete pack just has crysis, warhead and wars. I unchecked wars and its still showing 12GB

mrklaw said:
how do I do that? I won't play multiplayer. The complete pack just has crysis, warhead and wars. I unchecked wars and its still showing 12GB

I thought you were just talking about Warhead. Warhead comes in two executables (Warhead and Wars), while the original Crysis is one single executable for both single player and multi. It's a shame that they did not separate multi and single player for the original Crysis, since the multiplayer is pretty much dead for it.

I just started playing through Warhead from backlog from ages ago, I don't know why but this game and Crysis bore the hell out of me after like 20 minutes, the graphics are beautiful as all hell, but I can't play them for too long without wanting to exit the programs :/

Mrbob

I'm liking these D2D weekend deals lately. Especially when I can grab Steamworks titles from the site.

I think I was the one who posted about Rage and Steamworks but it is only a guess at this point. All recent Bethesda published games have been Steamworks on the PC and I saw ID state people would be happy with the DRM solution for Rage. So I just added these together to guess Rage will also be Steamworks.

TheExodu5 said:
Anyone know which of these is Steamworks?

Brink, Hunted, F.E.A.R. 3, Red Faction: Armageddon, and Dungeon Siege III.

Mrbob said:
I'm liking these D2D weekend deals lately. Especially when I can grab Steamworks titles from the site.

I think I was the one who posted about Rage and Steamworks but it is only a guess at this point. All recent Bethesda published games have been Steamworks on the PC and I saw ID state people would be happy with the DRM solution for Rage. So I just added these together to guess Rage will also be Steamworks.

iD also stated that the DRM solution will tie with how the multiplayer aspect is handled I believe. So the only options for that would be GFWL, Steamworks, or their own network.

Weenerz

Banned
Guess if I decide to get Brink this weekend, I'll do D2D since it's Steamworks. I feel so dirty not giving my money to Valve.

1-D_FTW

Take back my lukewarm reception to the Total Overhaul mod for Shift. It completely fixes the game. I didn't have my wheel set at 720 degrees rotation (which the settings were set for), so I needed to lower my steering sensitivity to 40 to get rid of the "sway" on my G27. But it's night and day compared to the stock game. And the modded Ferraris are especially great. Between the throaty engines and being able to effortlessly whip them through corners, it's very satisfying.

InertiaXr

1-D_FTW said:
Take back my lukewarm reception to the Total Overhaul mod for Shift. It completely fixes the game. I didn't have my wheel set at 720 degrees rotation (which the settings were set for), so I needed to lower my steering sensitivity to 40 to get rid of the "sway" on my G27. But it's night and day compared to the stock game. And the modded Ferraris are especially great. Between the throaty engines and being able to effortlessly whip them through corners, it's very satisfying.

Thanks, I got both Hot Pursuit and Shift in the sale and will probably install that Overhaul 2.0 mod soon for Shift and play some of that. Hot Pursuit I can only handle for a few races at a time it has so many bizarrely stupid design decisions and fucks you over with it's incessant cut scenes in every single race.

Oreoleo

InertiaXr said:
Thanks, I got both Hot Pursuit and Shift in the sale and will probably install that Overhaul 2.0 mod soon for Shift and play some of that. Hot Pursuit I can only handle for a few races at a time it has so many bizarrely stupid design decisions and fucks you over with it's incessant cut scenes in every single race.
Yeah it's a real shame about those Hot Pursuit cutscenes. You never really get to just play the game, the action is always broken up, so I can never play for much more than an hour at a time. After 60 some odd hours of Burnout Paradise and 35 of FUEL it's hard to go back to a menu-based racing game.

InertiaXr

Orellio said:
Yeah it's a real shame about those Hot Pursuit cutscenes. You never really get to just play the game, the action is always broken up, so I can never play for much more than an hour at a time. After 60 some odd hours of Burnout Paradise and 35 of FUEL it's hard to go back to a menu-based racing game.

I have to disagree with that, I like the menu based events. The only thing I care about in racing games is actual racing, any psuedo open world and psuedo 'story' that gets added in is always poor and takes away from the actual racing. (Except for NFS Most Wanted story, that's the stuff of legend.)

Just had to turn it off now, so frustrating to have a cut scene for like the 6th cop to join the Hot Pursuit events then it puts you into an auto-drift and you still don't get control for up to a second or more after the cut scene ends and by then you're into the back of a car and crashed. How much after release support has this gotten? Any chance of them folding and taking those cut scenes out?

Who knows what happened to Criterion after Burnout Takedown. Revenge had too much bullshit on the roads, Paradise was alright but I hated the 'open-world' stuff in a fucking racing game, then they add back in the flashing arrows to steer you on the track in Hot Pursuit but add in the cut scene bullshit nobody likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom